Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

You deliberately miss the point in the same way the Schumacher deliberately missed Villeneuve's wheel.

But not deliberately. Like Schumacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Theophany posted:

And Brazilians and Italians and Germans and etc etc etc. It's reductive and I shouldn't have brought it up. But the fact remains that during the Ferrari days, it is well documented Schumi was a driver. The same things were said about Mika Hakkinen - a duff development driver but if you had a halfway decent car he'd work miracles with it.

To my mind, Schumi's success was doing what no team has done since, which is building a dream team around him with Brawn, Todt, Clear et al. Ferrari of today need to pay attention and quit with this loving everybody is Italian bullshit that has seen them be junk since 2008.

Schumi would run like half the wing angle of Irvine (he'd test that poo poo to breaking point) and he was infamous in the number of hours of testing he would put in - where do you read this alt-history?
Not to say he was a one-man team but the guy was absurdly dedicated to his craft.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

Upon further review I have concluded that the Benetton must have relied on Verstappen, Lehto, and Johnny Herbert to set up the car. That's probably why it was so difficult to drive.

http://dai.ly/x2o8qkv

Good video explaining what I'm talking about.

Khablam posted:

Schumi would run like half the wing angle of Irvine (he'd test that poo poo to breaking point) and he was infamous in the number of hours of testing he would put in - where do you read this alt-history?
Not to say he was a one-man team but the guy was absurdly dedicated to his craft.

No question he was dedicated to his craft. He was the original F1 super athlete.

But anybody who has actually hosed around with suspension settings knows that pushing a car to its limits with unlimited testing on a private circuit is a world away to knowing the magic of how to set up a car.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 2, 2016

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Upon further review I have concluded that the Benetton must have relied on Verstappen, Lehto, and Johnny Herbert to set up the car. That's probably why it was so difficult to drive.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Also just off the top of my head I recall Monaco '97 where Schumi was the only guy on the grid telling his team on the spot to change the entire entire set up. Did Irvine tell him how to set it up and then just forget to do it to his car?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wow, Nico retirement announcement was out of the blue, but good on him. Go out on a high.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Nico Rosberg, the only driver in F1 history to claim the WDC and MWDC titles in the same year
God bless Are Rossie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, leaving his job on a career-defining high note, which includes working with a proven shithead, for a number of corporate suits employed by a German business conglomerate best known for its "glossy gray" sporty businesscars, already having more money that he can spend in one lifetime, to be with his children and model-wive living a luxury life, and most importantly, spend more time with Keke "loving" Rosberg. Though choice.

:agreed:

except about the model wife bit. In the F1 paddock where Mrs Bottas and Mrs Raikkonen hang out, plus whatever woman (or quite possibly, women) Alonso is spending time with, Mrs Rosberg is going to fall short.

and Claire Williams obviously, if you know what etc etc :madmax:

DoctorGonzo posted:

This is going to drive Lewis mad. I hope he seeks help in Kanye.

This is a given.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

td4guy posted:

Nando to Mercedes please.

God I hope not. I'm a Nando and McLaren guy, please don't make me care about Mercedes.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Can't believe it's 2016 and there's still no cure for being a McClaren guy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bryter posted:

Can't believe it's 2016 and there's still no cure for being a McClaren guy.

i thought it was honda engines, but some seem immune.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

Bryter posted:

a McClaren guy.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
im happy for nando to leave McC so that history repeats itself and the car isnt complete dogshit in '17

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
It obviously got buried under Rosberg talk, but Lorenzos comments about driving a hybrid era F1car were pretty bleak. Its like Alonso has been saying for years- the cars are way to easy to drive.

Cars that are easy to drive tend to equalise performance between team mates, which I suspect is a large part of the reason the boss is WDC this year.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I get what you're saying but Prost said that about the Red Bull cars when he drove them. This isn't a new complaint and it's not going to be resolved next year.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Yeah Lorenzo said he got in and pretty much immediately found the limit, you don't even need to drive the car to know they are on rails, just look at any onboard footage of the Mercs.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Incidentally if you do casually run into 1986 Osella driver Allen Berg do not ask him in a joking tone "What was it like being lapped by Prost?" he will not find it funny.

Lighten up there big Al.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I get what you're saying but Prost said that about the Red Bull cars when he drove them. This isn't a new complaint and it's not going to be resolved next year.

I read up the autosport article on Prost's test. He doesnt really say that it was easy to drive. Infact he says that he decided to take it easy.

Its not a great comparison anyway because it should be much easier for Prost, one of the most successful F1 drivers ever. Lorenzo has had a couple of single seater tests.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Great member berries cake

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

El Hefe posted:

Yeah Lorenzo said he got in and pretty much immediately found the limit, you don't even need to drive the car to know they are on rails, just look at any onboard footage of the Mercs.

Nico was able to win a WDC, that's all you need to know about modern F1 cars

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Retirement cake is the most delicious cake.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Hehe look at that little kid lickin' his lips

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GramCracker posted:

Nico was able to win a WDC, that's all you need to know about modern F1 cars

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Vettel won four in cheat cars, soooo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Minto Took posted:

Vettel won four in cheat cars, soooo.

Point?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Vettel was the number one driver. Rosberg was the number two.

Basically, Poois sucks and cares too much about trying to be a celebrity. Also, if you're in the best car, it doesn't mean that much. See: Mark Webber finally winning races.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rosberg retiring is cool and good, he gets to be a multimillionaire stay at home dad and we get a sweet silly season.

Good deal for everyone, cheers Nico.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 3, 2016

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cactrot posted:

Rosberg retiring is cool and good, he gets to be a multimillionaire stay at home dad and we get a sweet silly season.

Good deal for everyone, cheers Nico.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

What if this is the final ~~~~mindgame~~~~ of nico

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

Lewis is going to be so loving dirty about this plus it makes the off season 100% more interesting. What's not to love?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

dentist toy box posted:

What if this is the final ~~~~mindgame~~~~ of nico

It is, he retired as the WMGMC. The best we ever saw.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I wish I could quit my job and hang out with Keke all day

Nico's living the dream

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Keke had a way better mustache than Nigel.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTJI6s8MMOE

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Nico Rosberg, the only driver in F1 history to claim the WDC and MWDC titles in the same year
God bless Are Rossie

Rosberg - Family of Shame

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Keke had a way better mustache than Nigel.

Outside now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Best moustache in F1 award clearly goes to Chase Carey, who takes the trophy Graham Hill held for 59 years.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The real secret reason Nico is retiring is that he hasn't stopped trying to gently caress the WDC trophy since he got it

I heard his wife and parents are really concerned about him

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I heard his wife and parents are really concerned about him
Doubtful, I bet Keke humped his trophy. He was a party animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
It has been a day of mixed emotions... on one hand it's great to see Rosberg publically acknowledging that he's a very bad driver who only won because of EU lobbying and quit out of guilt... on the other hand it's sad that the FIA hasn't acted accordingly yet... surely their hate for Lewis is not big enough to deny him the championship... I doubt they will want the WDC list in the history books to look like this...

2008 Hamilton
Button
Fraudulent Vettel
Seb Fraudtel
Newey tbh
The Fraud
Hamilton
Hamilton
don't ask...
Hamilton
Hamilton
Hamilton