Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

glynnenstein posted:

This is what happened in Arlington County, Va about a decade ago. Guy did a tear down and acted as his own GC to build his dream house. There were some problems. He kept running out of money and the lot would sit un-worked for months with construction poo poo all over, which didn't make the neighbors happy. It took about 10 years, but once he actually got something built, it was a nightmare.

You'll look at that and say, yeah, that's a pretty ugly house, but people gotta stop whining about everything.

Well, that picture doesn't really capture the reality...

The thing is big. Monstrously big. It looks like some giant baby stacked his blocks, added windows and called it a house. It's glaringly apart from anything else in the neighborhood, which is all post-war tract construction. (These days there have been more 2nd stories added to the homes so it don't loom quite as terribly anymore.)

Oh, also, that is after 2 feet were removed form the top of the house by order of the county, which ended up being the only code violation they found that could enforce after the entire neighborhood raised hell. In the fallout of this house and the growth of tear-down McMansions they added some lot coverage restrictions and lower height limits to keep things more sane.

...am i not getting something? It's just a big house with 10 foot ceilings. It helps with summer heat. That was common in the south before AC was invented. The outside is a little plain and the kitchen cabinets are plywood, but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wouldn't that huge mass of rock help regulate the temperature of the house? I seem to remember reading that or someone mentioning that was one of the reasons in building single levels around huge 10-15 ton boulders.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's more of these guys???

FCKGW posted:

Looking at houses today and I found one that is a bit off. Can you spot it from this listing?
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Riverside/10968-Pettegrew-Rd-92507/home/5056615

:eyepop:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Get one now!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OH YEAH!

e: video of the aftermath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZtxHlProWo

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 9, 2017

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
My dream home would be brutalist, but I can easily imagine the poo poo-fight that would ensue if I built it on any property that didn't have trees everywhere to block views of it. That "sci-fi prison" aesthetic just doesn't appeal to everyone.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I love how if you look at that hill you can see rock slides all down it that are new enough not to have regrowth on them, and theres already a house sized rock in the paddock there, but someone thought "Nah, Wont happen again!" and built a house there anyway.

Whoops!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

flosofl posted:

Wouldn't that huge mass of rock help regulate the temperature of the house? I seem to remember reading that or someone mentioning that was one of the reasons in building single levels around huge 10-15 ton boulders.

In a vacuum, yes, but the rock has a huge amount of conduction with the ground, so it acts more like a sink.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Ferremit posted:

I love how if you look at that hill you can see rock slides all down it that are new enough not to have regrowth on them, and theres already a house sized rock in the paddock there, but someone thought "Nah, Wont happen again!" and built a house there anyway.

Whoops!
They just happened to be a keen but nervous motorcyclist. It was a golden opportunity too good to pass up.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Ferremit posted:

Whoops!

"Mountain's gotta be outta rocks by now."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was hiking along the side of a mountain and it looked like that. Smaller chunks but it was dense forest and a lot of the rocks had trees on top of them or around/behind them, but some had clearly come down recently because the trees behind them were barely saplings. A couple of the rocks didn't even have moss on them and the earth around them looked freshly disturbed. Felt fun knowing a small car sized boulder could come tumbling down any moment. I'm sure we'd have lots of warning what with all the trees crashing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I was hiking along the side of a mountain and it looked like that. Smaller chunks but it was dense forest and a lot of the rocks had trees on top of them or around/behind them, but some had clearly come down recently because the trees behind them were barely saplings. A couple of the rocks didn't even have moss on them and the earth around them looked freshly disturbed. Felt fun knowing a small car sized boulder could come tumbling down any moment. I'm sure we'd have lots of warning what with all the trees crashing.

You'd think so but giant rocks are more agile than they seem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtoWoT45VkM&t=21s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Synthbuttrange posted:

You'd think so but giant rocks are more agile than they seem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtoWoT45VkM

FTFY

Why would you cut out the part at the beginning where we can see the rock fly from its perch?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

kid sinister posted:

...am i not getting something? It's just a big house with 10 foot ceilings. It helps with summer heat. That was common in the south before AC was invented. The outside is a little plain and the kitchen cabinets are plywood, but that's it.

The size doesn't quite come off in those pictures. When it was build it was actually more than 6 times larger than all the other houses in the neighborhood but on the same lot. 6,800 sq ft vs 1,000.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How can you build a huge stadium and not understand basic drainage?

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I'm more impressed it isn't collapsing.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I'm more impressed it isn't collapsing.

Seriously. I'd want to be far away from there.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Baronjutter posted:

They saw Everbank here in Jax and got helly jelly of our spas.

Not clearly pictured: The Jaguars sucking.

edit: Wait, just got curious and looked up the image, it's from 2011. The pools came in 2013. Perhaps someone saw this and the lightbulb went off.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 9, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This isn't terribly in Sweden when houses are built into hillsides because of how rocky a lot of the country is. Usually the rock will either be in a crawlspace or cold storage room though, since as said the mountain is quite a good heat sink.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

I got yer thermal mass right here!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Suspect Bucket posted:

They saw Everbank here in Jax and got helly jelly of our spas.

Not clearly pictured: The Jaguars sucking.

edit: Wait, just got curious and looked up the image, it's from 2011. The pools came in 2013. Perhaps someone saw this and the lightbulb went off.

Chase Field where the Arizona Diamondbacks play has had a pool since the stadium was built in 1998. :colbert:
Every now and again someone splashes a home run into the pool which is :krad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTe50pCEFDM
There's an improvised wood chopping machine that doesn't look nearly as deadly as these types of things usually do

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Chase Field where the Arizona Diamondbacks play has had a pool since the stadium was built in 1998. :colbert:
Every now and again someone splashes a home run into the pool which is :krad:

There's an improvised wood chopping machine that doesn't look nearly as deadly as these types of things usually do

Yeah, that looks downright sane. Needs a housing around the blade, probably.

Reminds me of the 150-horsepower wood lathe.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DrBouvenstein posted:

They'd be slightly better without that "old lady" valence at the top, but yeah, still not great. That orange doesn't go with vomit-green walls.

Edit: Let's add some real content:
Made a Hidden secret staircase to access my dungeon Cinema

A big hole who's edge extends in front of a doorway? Shouldn't be an issue. You'll see why later.

Who needs floor joists?

When it comes to ladders, you want the oldest wood you can find.

See what I mean? A slapped-together plywood box held together with cheap shelving brackets solves that pesky "hole in the floor" problem.

Don't be alarmed that the ladder is barely held in place, because the ladder is so close to the opposite wall, that even if came loose and fell backwards, you'd only go about a foot.

See?
The ladder is actually a clever design to make sure that No Fat Chicks can enter his cool rape dungeon basement cinema.

I briefly looked at his original album from when he first built the basement cinema (http://imgur.com/a/BE9ra), and by itself it doesn't look that bad (but I'm certainly no contractor or inspector)? It's converted from a glorified crawlspace that is accessed by a sort of storage shed from outside the home, so I guess the biggest concern would be moisture, but I don't think he altered anything structurally.

I would have turned the ladder 90 degrees, connectint to the side closet to the outside door, which would have allowed it to almost be a staircase, and added a hand rail on the left (back, in the pictures) side. Possibly with a bit of handrail that came up with the lid.
Hell, I'm an AI Goon - I would have built a dumbwaiter-style elevator using a Harbor Freight winch.

Oh, and I would have stained and sealed the ladder, at least.

Synthbuttrange posted:

It didnt seem so bad til I looked down to the construction pictures and realized he astroturfed the floor?

And filled the underbench area with gravel?

oh its the wine storage

I can't hate this. I would have gone with not astroturf, and not gravel, but the basic idea of movie watching pit is sound.

FogHelmut posted:

This would have been awesome to have when I was 19.

I'm 47, but I refuse to grow up (apparently.)

endlessmonotony posted:

That's a low bar to clear. A controlled demolition would improve it substantially more.

Hell, an uncontrolled demolition...

Bad Munki posted:

I want to believe it's like one of those drinking birds where it keeps tipping down to touch the water then back up again, repeatedly.

It took me a minute to realize that it hadn't been built that way purposefully al'a The Upside-down House or whatever.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

At first I thought this was an intentionally-built-sideways house (like that one upside-down house), but then I saw it had ripped out its foundations. And also realized what thread I was in.

e: f, b.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Well, there's no autofeed to suck you in, but there's also no auto shutoff, nothing to keep hands and clothes away from the blade, the area around the PTO on a tractor is one of the most dangerous areas in all of modern industry, and dude was wearing gloves. I give it two missing digits out of five for severing hazard.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Not as bad as The Wheel of Debt. The owner replied to Youtube comments calling him an idiot by telling everyone that the machine is "Like a wild animal, if you show fear or apprehension you're done"

https://youtu.be/92ejWHlPLaE

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Sormus posted:

Not as bad as The Wheel of Debt. The owner replied to Youtube comments calling him an idiot by telling everyone that the machine is "Like a wild animal, if you show fear or apprehension you're done"

I've done still do a lot of stupid poo poo in my time but I wouldn't get anywhere near that thing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The animal analogy is sorta fitting because watching that thing activates a primal fear in me that's probably the same thing a gazelle experiences when he sees a leopard's glowing eyes in the tall grass

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I'm the waterfalls in the background.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sormus posted:

I wonder what it's like to go through life assuming you'll never be sleepy, or sick, or anything else that would effect your reflexes. I won't stick my hand down into the garbage disposal without turning the power off at the breaker.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Darchangel posted:

I can't hate this. I would have gone with not astroturf, and not gravel, but the basic idea of movie watching pit is sound.
Especially since it stays cool in the summer. Between that and having a projector, I'd probably just live there for 2-3 months out of the year. I used to have an office in the basement of the building and it was heavenly around August.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

there wolf posted:

I wonder what it's like to go through life assuming you'll never be sleepy, or sick, or anything else that would effect your reflexes. I won't stick my hand down into the garbage disposal without turning the power off at the breaker.

I mean, there are days when I think to myself "no woodworking today, I'm too tired to use power tools or sharp objects". One would hope that this guy just wouldn't use his horrible death machine on such days. Then again, his mental facilities are already impaired to the extent that he thought it was a good idea to build a horrible death machine, so maybe not!

Also, Jesus loving Christ that thing is awful :gonk: I've seen similar versions in the past, but they rotated more slowly and had more inertia, so you had several seconds between each axe head pass to position the log, and the impact wouldn't send wood flying everywhere. Still awful in terms of lacking safety features, but something I could look at and go "someone could use this for years without injuring themselves, if they were careful". Which is more than I can say for that video.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, the correct design with that style is to have a really hugely fuckoff heavy wheel with the majority of the weight on the outside so that it doesn't turn fast at all, but there's no stopping it, so it just calmly presses through a log without much fanfare.

That guy, though, he saw that design, had no understanding of the required physics whatsoever, and just cranked it up to 11 to make his incorrect design work anyhow. It could be fixed more or less, just take a whole poo poo ton of iron and weld it to the inside surface of the ring all the way around, make that thing like 2" thick or more, then turn the speed waaaaaaaaay down.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Correct design is a hydraulic splitter (slow and powerful) with controls far away from blade (cant reach into while operating) , with conveyors that you can safely drop logs onto (dont actually need to go near it).

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Another redditor builds an awful bathroom without permits.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ever wanted to bathe in a closet? Now you can!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Some locales require that a room have a closet if it is to be designated a bedroom.

Have fun selling the house with one fewer bedroom and an unpermitted re‐model.

quote:

Shower in all its glory. The curtain only covers the long side but I actually like the openness, the water never goes past and it keeps the bathroom the same temperature so none of that "I don't want to get out because it's freezing out there" feeling. Plus the bathroom is so small it gets/stays warm very easily. Also took a two hour bath with the water still being very warm when I got out. Insulated tub + tiny room = magic

Magic mushrooms, that is.

The shuffle space beside the tub is terrible and someone is going to break a leg navigating it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sounds like he tore out the full close then rebuilt half of it, so there's still some closet thing in that bedroom.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

That bathroom is so bad.

Center the mirror over the sink? Naah, let's put it centered between the sink and toilet.
I know the perfect place for the only electrical outlet in the room. On the wall opposite the vanity, 6 feet off the ground. That's electrical planning by grover :grovertoot:. Although at least he would have put 5 or 6 others in the room and one of them might be in a useful place.
That tiling is an abomination
How much do you wanna bet it doesn't have a vent fan?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also, stuffing insulation under the bathtub? That can't possibly be a thing can it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

canyoneer posted:

How much do you wanna bet it doesn't have a vent fan?

Were you not paying attention?

That’s a feature!