Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm not criticizing people who actually use cheat engine, by the way. I was a proud owner of a Game Shark for both PS1 and 2. I bent games over backwards just for the hell of it. I don't think I've ever beaten a Final Fantasy game legitimately, because I didn't play them for their gameplay, I played them for the story and the absurdly over-the-top attack animations. If you want to alter the game to make it more fun for you, by all means, fuckin do it. It just seems to me like Reset Farming is the worst of all worlds. It's basically just hoping the game will toss you a breadcrumb if you cross your arms and stare passive-aggressively at it for long enough. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Spergatory posted:

I'm not criticizing people who actually use cheat engine, by the way. I was a proud owner of a Game Shark for both PS1 and 2. I bent games over backwards just for the hell of it. I don't think I've ever beaten a Final Fantasy game legitimately, because I didn't play them for their gameplay, I played them for the story and the absurdly over-the-top attack animations. If you want to alter the game to make it more fun for you, by all means, fuckin do it. It just seems to me like Reset Farming is the worst of all worlds. It's basically just hoping the game will toss you a breadcrumb if you cross your arms and stare passive-aggressively at it for long enough. :colbert:

...and you seem GREAT at being passive-aggressive, so I can see it's an expert analysis.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Dias posted:

...and you seem GREAT at being passive-aggressive, so I can see it's an expert analysis.

:ironicat:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, do whatever you want doesn't need to be followed by a smug post talking about "cheating" and "lazy millenials". I guess you can claim puppetmastery, but it just read incredibly passive-aggressive.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Dias posted:

I mean, do whatever you want doesn't need to be followed by a smug post talking about "cheating" and "lazy millenials". I guess you can claim puppetmastery, but it just read incredibly passive-aggressive.

I figured the :corsair: would've clued you into the fact that I was joking about the whole "in my day, we had to walk fifteen rooms to get to our first item! Uphill! With Curse of the Maze! And when we got Butter Bean, we didn't complain! We took our licks, dagnabbit!" schpiel.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Spergatory posted:

I figured the :corsair: would've clued you into the fact that I was joking about the whole "in my day, we had to walk fifteen rooms to get to our first item! Uphill! With Curse of the Maze! And when we got Butter Bean, we didn't complain! We took our licks, dagnabbit!" schpiel.

Nah, I got that, but it doesn't change the content of the last post being pretty ironic, considering that last sentence. :shrug:

Unfortunately for me Ed kinda hosed the early-game dynamic by adding massive rooms and bullet-sponge enemies and bosses to the Basement, and it's legit Not Fun to try and salvage your run in Caves even if you could do it, especially when your items are like, three range ups. It's one of the things that made me dislike Enter the Gungeon, early game being so slow and so...bland. Back in Rebirth I felt like getting nothing for two floors was fine, nowadays I look at the clock, I'm 8min in whittling Rag Man down and meh.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

The guaranteed "Even More Options" item rooms in Antibirth's alternate route are the best thing that have ever happened to this game.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Dias posted:

Nah, I got that, but it doesn't change the content of the last post being pretty ironic, considering that last sentence. :shrug:

Fine, I'll be aggressive-aggressive.

:twisted: Cheat! Do it! You know you want to. GIVE IN TO THE DARKNESS. LET ITS POWER FLOW THROUGH YOU! :twisted:

Seriously though, if the first floor is that much of a slog for you, just use a cheat engine to give yourself higher starting damage, whatever you think is reasonable. You're already manipulating the game by reset farming; why leave it up to RNG?

Or play Antibirth, which takes place in an alternate timeline where Rag Man was never invented and instead you have this charming fellow:

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/antibirth.gamepedia.com/f/fc/Boss_Baby_Plum.png?version=cdc8c2be7f31ec3660d8ba2e760806fa

And even the Downpour bosses have less HP than Raggie.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I reset when I'm doing unlocks. If I'm just playing, who cares. But I'm not gonna sit here trying to make every Lost/Keeper run to Delirium work when they clearly need specific setups to survive the still-unfair horseshit that is that fight. Ultra Greed 2.0 will be the same for those two. Reset for Pyromaniac to make most of his second phase attacks not do anything and hope for the best from there.

I finally got to Delirium with The Lost and the fucker teleported onto my head twice in a row and that was the end of that. I think I'm gonna need Book of Shadows, Rune Bag to hopefully have 2 Algiz Runes, and then high enough damage to burn Delirium down in the time it takes for three shields + Holy Mantle to be used up. Keeper's a little better because triple shot means you'll have better chance of hitting Delirium when he's off-screen, and there are ways to get coins onto the arena floor for the fight.

I've never used Cheat Engine and I don't intend to now. It's just going to take the right seed and a whole lot of luck. One time I entered the Delirium fight and he just sat there in the center spitting bubbles at me until I'd burned off 60% of his life. He only turned into other bosses a few times before going still again around 20% and letting me finish him. Whether or not he goes crazy is as random as anything else. The fight's okay for most of the cast. So is Ultra Greed 2.0. It's just Lost and Keeper that make things incredibly unfun. I absolutely wouldn't fault anyone who cheated their unlocks open. Who wants to spend hours and hours doing attempts that don't even get remotely close, let alone then hoping Delirium plays nice?

I hate those two, but the 31-dailies achievement will be my white whale for this expansion. I never do dailies, so I'm gonna slip up and forget at some point and have to start over. I got really lucky for the 3 victory laps one (multiple Brimstones). The 5 win streak one isn't too bad, and I think I read somewhere that only the first has to be done normally, and you can do the rest in Greed Mode. Not saying that's easier, but it would at least be faster.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Fine, I'll be aggressive-aggressive.

:twisted: Cheat! Do it! You know you want to. GIVE IN TO THE DARKNESS. LET ITS POWER FLOW THROUGH YOU! :twisted:

While you're cheating like a madman, remember to try out some fun synergies. Sticky booger + any kind of piercing + Shielded Tears changes Hush from a bullet hell piss fight to nest-building simulator 2017. Just a big old, impenetrable nest of tears he cannot shoot out of, except for the waterfall tears in the final phase.
Or The Parasite, Crickets Body and Bone Fracture for a billion tears.

Go hog wild!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Spergatory posted:

Seriously though, if the first floor is that much of a slog for you, just use a cheat engine to give yourself higher starting damage, whatever you think is reasonable. You're already manipulating the game by reset farming; why leave it up to RNG?

I was legit thinking of trying to learn how to mod this poo poo so I could do a passover on damage values/health stats because I truly believe Afterbirth (and now AB+) hosed with the pacing of the early game too much and you need to be a monk or a god to not realize it. I don't mind resetting like, two times whenever I wanna do a lazy run anyway, so meh.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I want to be aggressive, let me try.

I suck at this game and it's my own goddamn fault because I'm too lazy/busy to practice. I blame myself and no one else. I am an old poo poo.

Did I do good, Dias?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Skunkrocker posted:

I want to be aggressive, let me try.

I suck at this game and it's my own goddamn fault because I'm too lazy/busy to practice. I blame myself and no one else. I am an old poo poo.

Did I do good, Dias?

That's self-deprecating. You guys are real bad at this stuff, maybe reset for a better start?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Dias posted:

That's self-deprecating. You guys are real bad at this stuff, maybe reset for a better start?

This isn't helping

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 15, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Jokes aside, you should probably edit that because it's breaking tables, hehe.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

I'm still playing within the rules of the game though. Flat-out cheating is bringing in an outside influence.

If you enjoy seeing how far you can get with a bad start, I'm not gonna stop you from playing that way. I prefer to start off with something more hopeful so I can at least kill Rag Man or hopefully see what my first devil deal will be like.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ah, I forgot a caveat: I reset WAY less for a decent start with other characters than I do with Isaac, mostly because I don't wanna throw away the D6 (lets me setup stupidly broken BS, which is how I have fun in this game still) and rerolling Bible into Bean is kinda...okay, no toys for the first floor. I guess Lilith also gets extra resets but I'm more willing to pick whatever familiar with her anyway. Plus I don't play much Lilith regardless, I guess.

Maybe I should just play more Judas.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Aside from the terrible CPU based Frame-Rate and being in Flash in general, I'd like to think flash Isaac aged pretty nicely.

Also I'd have to close Chrome to get more CPU power.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Orange Harrison posted:

Someone found a stranger way to play Isaac than 3DS

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-binding-of-isaac-rebirth/id1069549814?mt=8

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I do kind of miss that Zelda 1 status bar.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Robot Hobo posted:

I do kind of miss that Zelda 1 status bar.

You know that can be modded in now...

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Skunkrocker posted:

You know that can be modded in now...

But you can't get achievements while using mods now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I forgot that I owned this on 3DS.
Have they ever said that they would fix the framerate issues and load times?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

So I forgot that I owned this on 3DS.
Have they ever said that they would fix the framerate issues and load times?

They haven't even fixed the game- and console-crashing bugs so I think it's fair to say it's abandoned.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

immoral_ posted:

But you can't get achievements while using mods now.

You can, there's a guide on the steam guide page that tells you how.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Three wins in now. I forgot how easy the game was on normal mode. Of course I say that having almost died with Samson, but my Blank Card/Chaos Card combo carried me nicely through to the end.

Did Lost, Cain, Samson. Was thinking of doing Eden and Appolyon for the last two, but Eden might be too big of a gamble. Maybe Isaac and Appolyon? It's gonna really, really suck having to try this achievement again. :(

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Azazel and Isaac

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maggy is pretty good now too when you unlock the speed up pill for her.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Guess who just had his first encounter with the new champion Ragman whose only attack is to spawn and continuously resurrect his spiders? :suicide:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

Azazel and Isaac

Azazel's WAY too risky.

Spergatory posted:

Guess who just had his first encounter with the new champion Ragman whose only attack is to spawn and continuously resurrect his spiders? :suicide:

Try fighting him when he's with two Rag Megas. :negative:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Why not Judas or Blue Babby plus Isaac?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Azazel is like the safest easiest guaranteed clear possible

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah Azazel is a good one because he can easily win even with no items (I think you only need to beat Satan too, right?). Judas is similar but there is some risk of being killed on early floors. I'd go with Isaac + Azazel as the last two.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Azazel is straight up a free win

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I've always found ??? to be a coin flip. He's either super OP or super garbage.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Azazel's short range and black hearts make him really risky for me. I'll just end up running into enemies and having no way to replenish health, and no devil deals to boost myself up further.

I ended up going with Maggie. Didn't get a single damage-up until the devil deal before Mom. :/ I... Win Streaks count based on killing Mom's Heart, right? I can just quit after that?

Edit: Aaaaah I did it. God drat, I really think I'm just used to hard mode because everything is so much easier than I expected it to be.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 16, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think you need to actually get the credits screen to count for win streaks. So Isaac/Satan without the right trinket is the earliest.

EDIT: Holy poo poo Greedier mode is loving awful. Especially with the new stone fatty enemies.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 16, 2017

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Woke up to being first in the AB+ daily list. I mean I'm gonna plummet down from there as soon as the real top scorers show up on there but at least I can feel good about it for a day or two. :shobon:

In other news, just finished Greedier mode last night with all characters. Not looking to touch that mode ever again. It's just Greed mode all over again and it gets boring real quick.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

Oh great, portal to the Void spawned UNDER me after Mom. I'm not sure this character can beat Delirium yet so I hope I get some good items, or else my 3 win streak(with 3 different characters) will end.

EDIT: Managed to do it, mostly thanks to the Perc pill I found.

So turns out it wasn't the portal spawning under me, it's a TELEPORT. Meaning it's intentional. Why Nicalis

EDIT: Also the Ace of Hearts is garbage and I wish I hadn't unlocked it.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

RatHat posted:

So turns out it wasn't the portal spawning under me, it's a TELEPORT. Meaning it's intentional. Why Nicalis

EDIT: Also the Ace of Hearts is garbage and I wish I hadn't unlocked it.

It's actually good, because it can spawn soul hearts if you have the mitre or the trinkets. Other than that, yeah the Ace cards aren't great and they're really common compared to the other non-tarot cards.