Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
For what it's worth, Howard was consistently great in the playoffs for Houston. Regular season was definitely a mixed bag, but he turned it on in the postseason.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The NBA is too good

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ex post facho posted:

why you tryin' to hurt my boy jokic, dj

drat it.

DJ was the only clipper left that I didn't loathe. They should give the team back to Donald Sterling and bring back Matt Barnes, to go full scumbag.

Who was the guy in the thread who asked if there was a team more hateable than the Warriors. The Clippers is the answer.

The flopping, whining, cheapshotting, grimacing, trainer bullying (and then secretly firing), injury causing, led by lovely overrated nepotistic passive-aggressive endlessly complaining Doc Rivers Clippers is the team.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Brolander posted:

Clippers are rear end holes, I think this is well established

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Go figure the Lakers and the Boogie-led Kings are the two more likable California teams. Strange times we live in.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
For anyone who wanted to see Pop own in real time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBD7fGgaNV4

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

predicto posted:

drat it.

DJ was the only clipper left that I didn't loathe. They should give the team back to Donald Sterling and bring back Matt Barnes, to go full scumbag.

Who was the guy in the thread who asked if there was a team more hateable than the Warriors. The Clippers is the answer.

The flopping, whining, cheapshotting, grimacing, trainer bullying (and then secretly firing), injury causing, led by lovely overrated nepotistic passive-aggressive endlessly complaining Doc Rivers Clippers is the team.

Dang.

Jokic is fine everybody. DJ smackin' his arm away didn't seem to phase him.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

R.D. Mangles posted:

sounds to me like memphis needs a gritty veteran point guard who knows how to run an offense, someone like let's just throw this out there rajon rondo

I've already blown out the windows of my car shouting no at Jalen Rose for this exact sentiment

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm gonna watch the Raptors game today, hope they don't drop another turd in my mouth.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Criminal Minded posted:

Go figure the Lakers and the Boogie-led Kings are the two more likable California teams. Strange times we live in.

Boogie's latest press conference solidifies them as #1 in my opinion.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

DeAndre's clip is making me think of context and editing and how it can affect perceptions.

For instance the Kuleshov effect can be used to implant emotion on an otherwise neutral face:

Is boozer amazed by a teammate's play?

Or is he horrified at seeing a man eaten alive?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
In honor of the late Michael Goldberg, the Mavs coaching staff is wearing bow ties while they murder the Lakers.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18526989/michael-goldberg-led-national-basketball-coaches-association-37-years-dies

edit: also https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/823297042503987200
Rick, I hope you didn't watch that game.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 22, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What a historic day for the Lakers franchise

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IM ok with Lakers getting a top 3 pick this year. That just means Sixers get their UNPROTECTED pick next year and I can't imagine they are going to be much better.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

IM ok with Lakers getting a top 3 pick this year. That just means Sixers get their UNPROTECTED pick next year and I can't imagine they are going to be much better.

The only issue is next year's draft is looking pretty heavy on Centers and Power Forwards.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm glad i completely forgot that the Lakers had a game this morning, and apparently so did they

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

euphronius posted:

The Lakers have one of the same problems as the Mavs, they are most likely too good to end up with a top 3 pick this season.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The only issue is next year's draft is looking pretty heavy on Centers and Power Forwards.

IM more interested in its trade value, honestly. I think the team is ready for a Wiggins -> love trade. Unprotected Lakers pick MUCH more valuable than a top 3 protected pick.

Bryan Colangelo was on last night and said he's thinking about trading for star, too.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Dang.

Jokic is fine everybody. DJ smackin' his arm away didn't seem to phase him.

details, details

they just get in the way of the essential truthiness of my post

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

:thurman:

The WCF year was the only year Dwight was a positive for Houston, and he was great. He was definitely a net negative the other two.

Speaking of defense, has anyone looked at root beer barrel's advanced stats? I feel like I've seen him improve a little bit this year, mostly on man defense. He actually had a good possession on Gasol last night.

e: Jabari Parker benched for discussing a team meeting with the media. Hmm

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18530747/milwaukee-bucks-jabari-parker-comes-bench-punishment

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 23, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Boogie's latest press conference solidifies them as #1 in my opinion.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPlEwZWlYaA/

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

chunkles posted:

:thurman:

The WCF year was the only year Dwight was a positive for Houston, and he was great. He was definitely a net negative the other two.

Speaking of defense, has anyone looked at root beer barrel's advanced stats? I feel like I've seen him improve a little bit this year, mostly on man defense. He actually had a good possession on Gasol last night.

e: Jabari Parker benched for discussing a team meeting with the media. Hmm

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18530747/milwaukee-bucks-jabari-parker-comes-bench-punishment

Except of course for the series against Portland where he averaged 27/13.7/2.8 with 27 PER while guarding Aldridge most of the time.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

They absolutely refused to double Dwight during that series, and it worked out pretty well for them.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DeMarcus accepts your apology NBA
https://twitter.com/boogiecousins/status/823296986950619136

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

hahah

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.
The Nuggets are the 8th seed right now and I'd be excited to see them in the playoffs if they can make it there. I thought they were a couple of years away but they could actually be an alright matchup for the Warriors. Maybe even win a game at home

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Denver plays no defense, so i cant see them even being close to GS

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Almost any team in the west can be in the 8th seed

The worst team in the West, the Suns, are only 4.5 games back

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

They absolutely refused to double Dwight during that series, and it worked out pretty well for them.

Seems like that is definitely dwight's fault

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dokmo posted:

Nobody should care about All stars because it's solely an opportunity for good players to risk injury or embarrassment with no possible benefit to the team. Old man rant over.

Dunk contest determined by fan vote. Including retired players.

Finally the MJ vs. LBJ vs. Julius Erving vs. Spud Webb dunk contest everyone wants to see. LBJ will go MIA.

Quizzlefish posted:

I am utterly stunned that the player vote ranked CJ McCollum so high. Higher than Chris Paul? That's insane and make me think that either players just don't like Chris Paul or that CJ is a very charming guy.

As far as his shooting he's the third best backcourt shooter in the west behind Harden and Curry.

Trash defense of course but that doesn't matter in the ASG.

Lockback posted:

Dwyane Wade will probably be in the all-star lineup and I am having a tough time figuring out enough guards that should go in front of him.

Isaiah Thomas
Kyle Lowry
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Kemba Walker
DeMar DeRozan
Bradley Beal
Kyrie Irving
John Wall
Jeff Teague
Goran Dragic
Dennis Schroder
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

There are more but I stopped after a dozen.

Spacebump posted:

Phone posting. I was reading a pregame story about tonight's Mavs game and Cuba said they still haven't decided if they are tanking or going for the 7-8 seeds.

:lol:

Yes, Cuban, let's have Dirk get executed against the Warriors or Spurs.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

MourningView posted:

Seems like that is definitely dwight's fault

Everything is Dwight's fault

Let me tell you guys about how he's contributed to climate change

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

euphronius posted:

Denver plays no defense, so i cant see them even being close to GS

this is true but i still have dumb hope for them. playoff jokic could be crazy

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

Does Boogie win you a finals as your best player?

Broadly expanding this to "Does any center currently in the league win you a finals as your best player?" The answer is no. None of them have power levels high enough to do that especially in the current NBA climate (3P domination). None of these guys are like Shaq.

Putting AD or Gobert on CLE this year would open up an interesting scenario but I doubt many would defer the "best player" title to them with LBJ on the team (even with strong stat evidence).

Fast Luck posted:

Cleveland won the #1 pick exactly when they needed to in order to acquire Love and bring LeBron back home. Pelicans won to get AD after the league did the Chris Paul shenanigans. Sixers finally win the #1 pick when they bow to the NBA's will and fire Hinkie and hire Colangelos. MAkes You THink.

I'm ready to go back in time and return the Bulls stolen #1 pick from the 2008 draft and cash it in later.

straight up brolic posted:

lol the Kings traded Isaiah Thomas for Alex Oriakhi and a trade exception

IT is still improving. His shooting this season has been nearly as good as Curry's. 2017 Curry is a junkyard dog compared to 2016 Curry but still it's top 5 level shooting.

predicto posted:

Yes I do. He's amazing and his energy level is second to none, maybe ever.

Wilton Chamberlain. Hopefully RW can take every shot and get a 100 point game soon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zogo posted:

None of them have power levels high enough to do that especially in the current NBA climate (3P domination).

No. There is another.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

attackmole posted:

I'm gonna watch the Raptors game today, hope they don't drop another turd in my mouth.

update : there's a warm turd in my mouth

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

SCARYJEINFELD posted:

The Nuggets are the 8th seed right now and I'd be excited to see them in the playoffs if they can make it there. I thought they were a couple of years away but they could actually be an alright matchup for the Warriors. Maybe even win a game at home

They are a bad matchup in the sense that they never could win the series. They play a similar running style to GS, but not nearly as well. So they might have one game where they hit 20 threes and get a bunch of offensive boards and pull it out, but it isn't going to happen more than once. Same as Portland.

The teams that might beat GS in a series are the ones who can take GS out of its game and make it play their game, or disrupt them with their length in the passing lanes. The first group included the Spurs, Memphis, Utah, Boston, and of course the Cavs. The latter group includes Houston, Minnesota, and Milwaukee.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

tanglewood1420 posted:

Hell, as an example even Indiana with Paul George are a bit up in the air for me. Is Paul George an All-Star player? Of course yes he is truly excellent. He could be the second best player on a title winning team for sure, no doubt. But could he be the best player on a title winning team? Unless he somehow goes up a level unexpectedly in the next few seasons then I'd say no. Same goes for Toronto with Kyle Lowry.

With George I'd be shocked. If CLE, SAS and GSW all sustain massive injuries then Lowry's in the driver's seat.

tanglewood1420 posted:

This is all assuming traditional cap dynamics of team building where it's not possible to get multiple max players on a team and have some kind of four headed monster of All-Star but not Super Duper Star players like Paul George, Kyle Lowry, Marc Gasol, Gordon Hayward all on one team (and even then would that team beat GSW or the Cavs in a series?) .

No.

WhyteRyce posted:

NBA ready guys like Elton Brand are trash. Better to trade up to high upside guys like Eddy Curry. LaMarcus Aldridge? Sorry I'm taking Tyrus Thomas 10 times out of 10. Saer Sene has way more upside than JJ Reddick. Why take a Chris Paul when Marvin Williams is. sitting. right. there.

predicto posted:

drat I'm getting roasted

Roasting recap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL9kV98kjFY

Twitter is trash. Tweets should be set in stone. I've clicked on like five links and they're all unavailable.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Zogo posted:

Broadly expanding this to "Does any center currently in the league win you a finals as your best player?" The answer is no. None of them have power levels high enough to do that especially in the current NBA climate (3P domination). None of these guys are like Shaq.

Putting AD or Gobert on CLE this year would open up an interesting scenario but I doubt many would defer the "best player" title to them with LBJ on the team (even with strong stat evidence).

Put Gobert on Boston and they have a better than 50 percent chance of getting by Lebron and even odds against the Warriors

he's a beast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Wade looked gassed one minute into the first quarter last night. Kind of sad.

Bip Roberts posted:

So with all the young player talk who do we think the second player will be (after Rose) to win the MVP and miss the Hall of Fame?

[Unknown future NBA MVP killed in auto accident.]

Tae posted:

The players have the worst opinions on themselves going all the way back to Wilt getting 3rd in MVP voting

Sportswriters/reporters are still worse overall.

Similar to the real election. The people have spoken and voted NOTA:

• Locked thread