Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Colostomy Bag posted:

I may be confusing their different statements of idiocy, but the tokens were introduced so as not to overwhelm the DB system and staff since it is quite an intensive operation to unmelt a jpeg.

You know how much data has to be moved around every time they delete a ship? All the components, the fuel levels, ammo amounts, positions of every panel, walkway, button and light. Now imagine trying to reverse that. All the atoms of the ship are now shared about the database. It is surprising we don't pay them to let us pay for ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
There was going to be a restocking/processing fee for all of this because of 'schmeg' but that got axed quick. Don't gently caress with backer's jpgs.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

The Kickstarter was used partially to gauge interest, and the base game cost between £8-9 million, meaning the majority of development money came from FDev themselves.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Phi230 posted:

whats the actual context behind sandi's look

She's just happy to be spending another day working hard for the pledgers.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Mr Fronts posted:

She's just happy to be spending another day working hard for the pledgers.

What the gently caress, my page just jumped back to 55 and I replied to something from it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Madcosby posted:

They're taking out VR?

See you in the 'ese

Thread title spotted

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Well reddit came back with a foolproof counterargument about the VR issue.

Literally can't argue with that.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Literally can't argue with that.

Well yea he said 'case closed'.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Mu77ley posted:

The Kickstarter was used partially to gauge interest, and the base game cost between £8-9 million, meaning the majority of development money came from FDev themselves.

I definitely think Frontier have done an exceptional job, and significantly exceeded the vast majority of their goals from the Kickstarter (let's not mention private servers), but Star Citizen also claimed they were gauging interest from Kickstarter and the rest of the money was going to come from other investors.

Frontier have done it they way it should be done (even communicating bad changes/undeliverable promises like private servers, communication that inXile is now getting roasted for failing at). CIG have made a lot of money and delivered nothing of substance.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Madcosby posted:

They're taking out VR?

See you in the 'ese

:ese:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I think a point worth making about Frontier and Elite is that they put representative game play out early and built on it. If they can keep their company profitable then anyone who bought Elite will be able to play it for many years while they continue to expand it, deepen it/whatever.

With CIG the profitability of a released "game" is impossible to judge, due to no signs of a real game being made. The assumption that we all make is that's because of incredible levels of incompetence, but it's worth remembering that everything at CIG links to marketing and funding. You could argue it's not in CIG's interest to show anything that people might assume to be approaching representative game play as that would kill their funding income due, again, to incredible levels of incompetence. Also if it's terrible you waste less money on bandwidth/server costs.

I believe CIG won't even get as far as release and as soon as concerns about being profitable are raised, the servers will go dark so fast it's going to make Citizen's heads spin.

AP fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 1, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
STAR MARINE HEALTH KIT ANIMATION

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1 Two players shoot each other.
2 One player grabs a med kit on the wall

ACTUAL RESULT
Once the player grabs a health kit the player who originally shot them will grab in the air like they're also grabbing a med kit. This will happen if they're running, walking, or just standing still.
This happens if they're next to each other, or on the other side of the map when grabbing the med kit.

EXPECTED RESULT
The animations for grabbing the health kit should not be sent to the client of the person who shot them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI3ktd6BQAU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Sunswipe posted:

PICTURED: Disco Lando attempting to escape Ben's latest blocking of the staff toilets.

bens bathroom buddy?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Did Agent's prediction about purchase only ships come true yet?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
so it's been a while; anything happened of importance?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Meridian posted:

Did Agent's prediction about purchase only ships come true yet?

To avoid filthy goonies being right, CIG aborted the announcement as a result of his prediction. So you see, he was right :grin:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Kibner posted:

Planet Explorers released. :haw:

grimcreaper posted:

Starbound came out too.

I guess I should have added PVP, I mean the DayZ inspired games that never get out of early access. Ark's devs even had the balls to sell DLC for an unfinished game, they should team up with CIG to become ultra lovely or something.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

AP posted:

STAR MARINE HEALTH KIT ANIMATION

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1 Two players shoot each other.
2 One player grabs a med kit on the wall

ACTUAL RESULT
Once the player grabs a health kit the player who originally shot them will grab in the air like they're also grabbing a med kit. This will happen if they're running, walking, or just standing still.
This happens if they're next to each other, or on the other side of the map when grabbing the med kit.

EXPECTED RESULT
The animations for grabbing the health kit should not be sent to the client of the person who shot them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI3ktd6BQAU

Wtf? That's a bloody unusual bug, I can't even fathom any kind of almost logical reason for that happening. :shrug:

Bad coding, very bad.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

his nibs posted:

Wasn't this guy one of their chief shills?

Yes.

Meanwhile, /r/StarCitizen_Refunds have made their traffic stats public:

:tif:

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Quavers posted:

Meanwhile, /r/StarCitizen_Refunds have made their traffic stats public:

:tif:

Can't wait to see how the true believers explain this one away.

"They weren't prepared for what it means to back a crowdfunded game!"

"They don't understand game development"

"I am completely emotionally and sexually invested into this game"

etc

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
A Catte

embroidered by Mary Queen of Scots, apprently

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sabreseven posted:

Wtf? That's a bloody unusual bug, I can't even fathom any kind of almost logical reason for that happening. :shrug:

Bad coding, very bad.

void commandoButtonPress(commando Commando(commando.active, string buttonPressed))
{
server.sync();
if (buttonPressed = "medkitbutton") { Commando.runanim(usemedkit) }
server.sync(); //uuhh don't remove this guys
delay(300);
//sooo let's fix those broken references???
if ( ! Commando.animrunning)
{
commandoButtonPress(commando.next) // check for faulty execution, correct
}
else { buttonPressed = ""}
server.sync();
delay(300);
delay(400); //a bit more needed for the krauts I guess
server.sync();
server.sync(); //gotcha
}

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

nawledgelambo posted:

Can't wait to see how the true believers explain this one away.

"They weren't prepared for what it means to back a crowdfunded game!"

"They don't understand game development"

"I am completely emotionally and sexually invested into this game"

etc

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/5r2ms9/twitter_these_are_perfectly_normal_and_well/dd4v75u/

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

this one I can confirm

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:laffo:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Takes me hours but I'm learning.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

void commandoButtonPress(commando Commando(commando.active, string buttonPressed))
{
server.sync();
if (buttonPressed = "medkitbutton") { Commando.runanim(usemedkit) }
server.sync(); //uuhh don't remove this guys
delay(300);
//sooo let's fix those broken references???
if ( ! Commando.animrunning)
{
commandoButtonPress(commando.next) // check for faulty execution, correct
}
else { buttonPressed = ""}
server.sync();
delay(300);
delay(400); //a bit more needed for the krauts I guess
server.sync();
server.sync(); //gotcha
}

:golfclap: That probably wouldn't look out of place in SC's code tbh, you'll be getting a job offer from CIG soon. :D

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

this one I can confirm

Mr 'obey-the-fist' has you twigged?

Edit: vvv nothing is impossible in this new world, so conspiracies consisting of hundreds that post their stuff in public is the new illuminati. The plucky citizens are exposing this through a hacking tool called 'Google'.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

They actually think the refunds are all faked? That might actually be more delusional than SC being delivered as promised.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

I've noticed /r/dereksmart don't archive Derek's many tweets that focus on the Trump drama, and that the archives are 90% Star Citizen related. I thought their policy was to archive all his statements so that they can be referenced if/when he changes his mind at a later time.

Does that therefore mean they support Derek's activities against Trump? Someone should inform /r/The_Donald that Star Citizen fans are against their President.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Just post a new thread there for every one of the trump tweets

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Just post a new thread there for every one of the trump tweets

iron buns fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 1, 2017

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Please don't DDOS the Reddit sub.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I think they know full well that their friendly and welcoming community isn't really built to handle the don chat. They're more of a tumblr community really, they respect their brothers-in-faiths' triggers and carefully tip-toe around any of that stuff

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:mrgw:

Whales have really weird refund triggers. Who in their right mind seriously believes CIG is doing anything with VR in mind?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They had a guy whose entire job was to work on VR compatibility for Star Citizen. Paraded him on early ATVs, etc.

He quit last year to go "work on VR" and they haven't replaced him.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They also had a 'guy' whose entire job was the patcher. He quit early last year too and they said they weren't willing to retask anyone/replace him.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Spatial posted:

Not the first time Ben Parry put his foot in his mouth. Last time around they not-so-subtly poo poo on him in public as damage control, saying his opinion didn't matter because he's some artist type who can't program. But AFAIK he's a graphics programmer and works on the main game renderer lol. That would explain why he was so quick to say it wasn't feasible too.

Yeah. And once again, he's taken to Reddit to explain himself. And not getting any love.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They also had a 'guy' whose entire job was the patcher. He quit early last year too and they said they weren't willing to retask anyone/replace him.

Did they ever unfuck the patcher that they committed to unfucking last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Did they ever unfuck the patcher that they committed to unfucking last year?

'patcher'