Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

veni veni veni posted:

Umi bozus second phase is unmitigated bullshit. The hardest part about it is the lovely camera and the fact that the thing that makes it so you don't fall is magically turned off for the fight for some reason.

Just sprint around him in circles.

I used low stance with a 1h sword and just mashed dodge if he was about to attack, only took one hit the entire fight because I was lazy and didn't fall off once. Set fire to your weapon and it'll go faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was also thinking that when I try again tomorrow I should probably just not lock on in that phase.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Anyone else having trouble connecting right now? I can't seem to get into a host's game.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Naomasa will not drop his smithing texts and I hate his dumb rear end.

I killed him one time and don't have the patience to do it again. Maybe when I'm crazy high leveled I'll do it again.

There's no "Divine Smithing Texts" are there?

Also, it's already crazy expensive to by Books of Reincarnation from the blacksmith. They're cheap at the Tea House though. Do the prices go up if I buy from there?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy hell the final Ninjutsu dojo fight is hard as balls. I couldn't land anything that wasn't a low stance attack and had to kinda pray I could build up poison and dodge her unending projectile bullshit.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

veni veni veni posted:

I was also thinking that when I try again tomorrow I should probably just not lock on in that phase.

Do you have any of the fire mask items? I found them very helpful. One use took off about 1/4 of its bar.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh the spinning mask thing? I think I have like 5 I've never used them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

Holy hell the final Ninjutsu dojo fight is hard as balls. I couldn't land anything that wasn't a low stance attack and had to kinda pray I could build up poison and dodge her unending projectile bullshit.

Really? I ran over the boss without much effort. Got hit twice and didn't even use any of the items they gave me. I think the boss had like 1 more trick compared to the earlier version in the game but she still had super low hp and even lower stamina.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man some of the NG+ stuff is just straight-up unfun bullshit. Hey, let's add raven yokai to boss fights in tiny arenas with deadly ledges!

Christ man. I've platinumed every one of From's Soulsborne games, and NG was a bit easy for my taste... but I am not going to be able to finish all of NG+. I can't take this poo poo even when cheesing with magic.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 14, 2017

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Just beat the frog boss. I loved the design of his entire level, enough that I wish it had been longer. So far this is surely my Game of the Year, and I might even like it more than a couple of the Souls games. I mostly use axes, with a spear backup for when I need more range and/or cheese. I recently started "perfect" ki pulsing way more frequently instead of just dodging, and it greatly improved my axe-murdering experience.

Anyone that has finished it have a %completion estimate for me? I really don't want this game to end and the plot makes it seem like I might be closing in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xalidur posted:

Anyone that has finished it have a %completion estimate for me? I really don't want this game to end and the plot makes it seem like I might be closing in.

We don't need to give you one, the game provides you one in the stats found in the prestige menu!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Xalidur posted:

Just beat the frog boss. I loved the design of his entire level, enough that I wish it had been longer. So far this is surely my Game of the Year, and I might even like it more than a couple of the Souls games. I mostly use axes, with a spear backup for when I need more range and/or cheese. I recently started "perfect" ki pulsing way more frequently instead of just dodging, and it greatly improved my axe-murdering experience.

You've still got a good chunk left to go.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jerk rear end centipede dead good I'm glad I hate that place

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why do these games always include The Poison Area Where All That Means Is A Lot Of Extra Running Around

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Does Luck increase the chance of Smithing Recipes dropping?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone else feel the difficulty curve tapers off about halfway through? I think I'm about 80% of the way through the game and I'm kinda just destroying everything now. Most enemies I can kill in one combo(I use Dual-Swords).

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Just finished this game. My general impression it's it's really, really good, but it's definitely got it's weaknesses. Enemy variety is butts (I hope you like fighting yoki, skeleton warriors, dwellers, and those big one eyed oni). It has dark souls-ish level design, with the hidden nooks and shortcuts and the like, and it generally hits the mark, but the huge issue I kept running into is that the loot, for the most part, isn't unique, so there's really no incentive to explore other than finding shortcuts/shrines and kodama. I would run by side areas that I would scour the gently caress out of in a souls game because I know it would probably just contain a bunch of garbage drops to feed to Tome. The whole engine of getting you to explore a level wore really thin on me and I found myself just trying to get to the next shrine. Levels were a little bit too long in places, and the whole game was ridiculously long overall. I found myself cutting down boss after boss expecting the game to end when it just kept going.

Some of the levels really stood out as cool and memorable. The spider castle was pretty rad. The ninja mansion was great. The holy mountain level with the bridges/woods was really cool. Sekigahara and the follow up level were also pretty drat cool and unique. I think the levels with the weird crystal gimmicks were sort of ok just to mix things up. Other than that, it all just sort of blended into one castle/shrine/cave after another. This whole game feels like a weird tour of Sengoku history and Japanese landmarks.

Bosses, on a whole, were loving awesome. My favorite bar none was big gently caress off swag frog ninja. My only complaint is that the latter 30-40% of the game becomes mostly human bosses with a gimmick or two until the very last two. The human boss fights felt pretty samey and were laughably easy with the spear set, except Muneshige because of his outrageous damage on his iai moves.

The combat in this game is, bar none, some of the best in an arpg I've ever played. It feels incredibly meaty and agile. Rocked a spear the whole game and didn't touch any other weapons. By the end of the game I was stance dancing and ki pulsing and juggling dudes on my swag stick. It was loving amazing.

Overall game is a solid B+/A- for me. If they condensed the loot, had more enemy variety, and less castles I would probably be playing this way more than I already have.

Xalidur posted:

You've got a long way to go.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Does Luck increase the chance of Smithing Recipes dropping?

I sure hope so, there's a bunch of set build I'd like too try out with no easy way to farm the boss, like the obsidian samurai set....

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

CJacobs posted:

Why do these games always include The Poison Area Where All That Means Is A Lot Of Extra Running Around
While it's time consuming, you can go through that level without setting foot in the poison besides the boss room, thank god. Just need a decent matchlock, or spam arrows.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Thievery posted:

Just sprint around him in circles.

This is the secret to like, 80% of the bosses from every Souls Game, BBorne, and Nioh. Mid-game spoiler: Starting with White Tiger I just started running to the right or left of every boss. So far it's working pretty well, and I just killed birdman. It feels like the devs forgot you don't have to fight directly in front of or behind a boss.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Zaphod42 posted:

If you have the smithing text for a set that's an exception, as you can then craft new versions at levels to keep up with you as you go, and craft many and take the best stats.

But even then... the Iga Ninja set requires you to have spider's leg husk for each one. That means 5 spider's leg husk for just crafting one of each. Five boss kills. Even if you speedrun the level, that's gonna take a long time. (And that's assuming 1 drop per kill)
So you can't just craft those things over and over looking for good attributes. You can't. Hope you roll purple! Then reforge forever and ever and spend all your money, only to out-level that gear a little bit later.
As cool as the set bonuses are, even the ninja set is fleeting. Gear that you can easily craft 50 of just wins because you can roll better stats.

There's exceptions though of course, the red demon set bonuses seem outrageous enough to warrant it. Can you get smithing text for that one? I'm not using spear so I haven't bothered trying.

I got dropped a full set of purple level red demon (including the spear), from killing three random revenants. :smug:

..I had no points in spears at this point, it's still absurdly strong.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I beat Muneshige last night by humping the rock for nearly 10 minutes, took me about 15 tries. I have no idea how you're meant to beat him face to face as a light armour user. All I could do was try and get long shots in with my gama, a single mistake was death.

Is he just meant to be a boss you come back to when you're a higher level?

Also I spent 10 minutes in the poison mine and turned the game off, timed air con units just aren't a fun mechanic for me, first part of the game I haven't loved.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 14, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Looks like the clan battle ended, I was on the winning side and my clan was ranked 19th I think and got 30k glory :stare:.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Finally got my hands on this game yesterday so some of my impressions on it:

-Oh hey it's Dark Souls
-Gear drops are pretty generous and so far i'm seeing no reason not to farm enemies for them
-Where is the dodge roll?! ..... wait nvm I found it
-This reminds me pretty strongly of Onimusha
-Yep...still Dark Souls
-I have a pokemon?! :haw:
-Someone died and left behind an angry ghost that is trying to kill me
-Dual Swords are freaking awesome.

And then I died a whole bunch.

This game is pretty great.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Stangg posted:

I beat Muneshige last night by humping the rock for nearly 10 minutes, took me about 15 tries. I have no idea how you're meant to beat him face to face as a light armour user. All I could do was try and get long shots in with my gama, a single mistake was death.

He was a complete prick in the Beta, but he seemed easier here, perhaps because of experience.

Didn't use the rock, just kept distance, punished whiffed strikes. Dashed THROUGH his iai strike, and used the odd shuriken to break his ki when he runs out of Stamina.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Stangg posted:

Also I spent 10 minutes in the poison mine and turned the game off, timed air con units just aren't a fun mechanic for me, first part of the game I haven't loved.

You only need to activate them once, each area has a rock that spews the gas that you destroy

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Given the weird diminishing returns scale and how this game seems to reward spreading out your points, is going base 10 in every stat a decent idea? I'm going dual swords/spears so I've been pumping skill/body and only have a 5 STR, but it seems like at this stage putting a point into STR is going to give me bonuses to just about everything.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Stangg posted:

Lifeseal (the magic that reduces enemy ki restoration) is your friend in this fight. It's the only way I was able to beat him in either the beta or in the main game. Though he is definitely easier in the main game.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

We don't need to give you one, the game provides you one in the stats found in the prestige menu!

I appreciate all the replies assuaging my concern, but quoting this one because, holy crap! It prompted me to take a break from killing things to look through the game menus and they track so many statistics it's amazing. I probably could have figured this out earlier if I read tutorials more carefully instead of tunnel visioning epic samurai battles.

(Good game is good.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Given the weird diminishing returns scale and how this game seems to reward spreading out your points, is going base 10 in every stat a decent idea? I'm going dual swords/spears so I've been pumping skill/body and only have a 5 STR, but it seems like at this stage putting a point into STR is going to give me bonuses to just about everything.

Keep in mind that weapon damage scaling never hits diminishing returns, even if a stat's other effects do. Magic and Dexterity keep increasing your magic or ninjutsu power by meaningful amounts all the way to about 60 or 70, too. Even though you're seeing things like 1 damage for increasing your main stat, if you keep going it will go back up again. I tested this myself: taking Heart all the way to 82, I never hit a point of diminishing returns for katana damage, even though it went up and down.

The reason spreading your points out is good, though, is because every weapon scales with three stats, and the difference between "good" scaling and "bad" scaling isn't that big. Like, for katanas, a build that goes all-in on Heart gets like 10 more damage than a build that splits levels between heart and Skill, and that's not because of diminishing returns, just because Skill is almost as good as Heart for katanas.

RatHat posted:

Anyone else feel the difficulty curve tapers off about halfway through? I think I'm about 80% of the way through the game and I'm kinda just destroying everything now. Most enemies I can kill in one combo(I use Dual-Swords).

I found that it started to pick up again in the last few main missions. Where I am now, enemies have a lot more health and come in groups much more often. And apparently NG+ just gets completely bullshit, according to another poster on this page.

Stangg posted:

The difference between light and medium armor isn't that large when it comes to damage reduction (it's a 7% difference), so really it's just that Tachibana hits hard. The trick is either to dance around the rock, or just stay really aggressive and learn how to dodge through his attacks and hit him in the back. He's one of the tougher samurai duel fights.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

RatHat posted:

I think it's just the Got-Gud effect, and having more offensive skills opened up as you progress. When I first fought Yokai it was OMG THROW BOMBS RUN AWAY and don't trigger the rifts. I spent the first zone running around the roofs.

Now they're just katana fodder. :unsmigghh:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

For the clans bonuses, some of them say "+2% Red Demon Armor (Toughness)" or "+2% Toughness (Heavy Armor)". Does that mean that for each piece of that item you get that bonus? So a full set of Heavy Armor with that bonus would be +12% Toughness?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
How do you increase the clan bonuses? It has blue numbers in parentheses so I assume you can?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Harrow posted:

I found that it started to pick up again in the last few main missions. Where I am now, enemies have a lot more health and come in groups much more often. And apparently NG+ just gets completely bullshit, according to another poster on this page.

I think that was me. FWIW, the main missions of NG+ are fine. Even runs into the same issue of the last half being easier than the first, like the NG. Some of the side missions have some real bullshit though.

I think the latter half being easier is largely the got gud effect, but because there are no new enemy types. By mid-game you've learned how to fight every enemy, so there's little challenge. Even the bosses are really similar to fight. In NG+ it's the same because you've learned how to deal with the new enemy combos.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Relin posted:

How do you increase the clan bonuses? It has blue numbers in parentheses so I assume you can?

Someone said just staying loyal every weeks gives stacking bonuses.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

I think that was me. FWIW, the main missions of NG+ are fine. Even runs into the same issue of the last half being easier than the first, like the NG. Some of the side missions have some real bullshit though.

I think the latter half being easier is largely the got gud effect, but because there are no new enemy types. By mid-game you've learned how to fight every enemy, so there's little challenge. Even the bosses are really similar to fight. In NG+ it's the same because you've learned how to deal with the new enemy combos.

Yeah, I agree, I think that's a large part of why the second half feels like it loses a lot of challenge--you've seen everything the game can really throw at you already. It could've used a few more enemy types to switch things up in the late-game, really. I mean, eventually they resort to throwing an Onryoki at you out of a normal yokai portal just to spice things up. A few new enemy types would be nice.

Even some of the side missions in NG, though, had me wondering what I did to deserve this, like the one where I had to fight two Raven Tengu at the same time in a tiny area, and that wasn't even the final wave. I ran out of healing and almost out of Life fighting the Tengu, so when an Onryoki showed up, I had to beat it without getting hit. (I did :smuggo:)

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Are special effects of weapons reflected in their stats? Like if I have a sword that has "Change to Attack (HEART) ==>A", how can I see what amount of bonus damage that will give me?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Are special effects of weapons reflected in their stats? Like if I have a sword that has "Change to Attack (HEART) ==>A", how can I see what amount of bonus damage that will give me?

My understanding is that it's already reflected in the weapons bug damage number at the top.

I guess if you wanted to see how much of a bknus it was, you could comoare it to another of the same weapon at the same level and familiarity and look at the difference between the damages. But I'm not sure...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yes, it's reflected in the Attack number at the top, so it's already factored in. Same for armor that scales with Spirit or Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Holy poo poo. Between the 6-Piece Red Demon Set Bonus and being at A Agility my Ki just comes back unbelievably fast. I can just dodge around and smack people forever.