Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SOB
Mar 24, 2016

hakimashou posted:

All the "balancing" ground stuff is just nerfing engineers it looks like lol

Yeah, the loss of teamwide Tac Initiative kills off quite a few things for Eng/ Sci. That alone will significantly increase the gap between them and Tacs on the ground.

The nerfs Tacs got were pretty minor. It'll hurt a bit here or there, but I'd say no more than a 25-30% hit performance wise at the high end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

hakimashou posted:

All the "balancing" ground stuff is just nerfing engineers it looks like lol

SOB posted:

Yeah, the loss of teamwide Tac Initiative kills off quite a few things for Eng/ Sci. That alone will significantly increase the gap between them and Tacs on the ground.

The nerfs Tacs got were pretty minor. It'll hurt a bit here or there, but I'd say no more than a 25-30% hit performance wise at the high end.
Of course. Of course. Cryptic literally does not understand why tac captains are an order of magnitude better than the rest. :ughh:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So glad I still have all my catfood

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Free the nerds, China. Then again, do they really want to be free, or would you want them at all?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume they'll nerf the poo poo out of grav well in space.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
First lot of balance changes have been announced for Tribble. It's all kind of ground stuff but the focus definitely seems to be giving skills a base cooldown below which they won't go, which if applied to space would muck up a lot of cooldown reduction builds.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/s...416099+hmacsha1

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MikeJF posted:

I assume they'll nerf the poo poo out of grav well in space.

And FAW. And absolutely Feedback Pulse.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Every time they've tried to change the way FAW works in the past, they've hosed it up because apparently the code behind it is dark magic. I don't know if they're brave enough to try again. They do have new systems devs now, though, who may not have learned to fear it yet.

Feedback Pulse is cruising for a bruising and you can bet all the space captain powers will gain minimum cooldowns. Ideally they really need to improve single-target attacks like BO, too, but nerf good is easier than buff bad.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 18, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Redshirt Grenadier Division was pretty much the only time I've ever legitimately enjoyed ground combat in this dumb game since launch, so :rip:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Psycho Landlord posted:

Redshirt Grenadier Division was pretty much the only time I've ever legitimately enjoyed ground combat in this dumb game since launch, so :rip:

Ironically, playing a science officer in ground combat is literally an I win button. It's probably the strongest class in that area of the game and can actually make it pretty entertaining. Since with the right kit you can't take damage at all outside of raid tier threats and can tank absurd numbers of mobs while just machine gunning everything in sight like some sort of space age Scarface.

That also extends to your group, assuming they aren't being a bunch of pillocks and keep running into instant death mechanics. Which is the only way to make some of the instances doable in a way that's not frustrating.

It's about the only way I enjoy it, in any case. Also, that FPS mode makes it much more tolerable. Anyone playing with the old targeting system is in for a rough time.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 18, 2017

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Psycho Landlord posted:

I miss the days of insane deeps from full auto rifles.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Aleth posted:

I miss the days of insane deeps from full auto rifles.

Full Autos are still pretty strong. I think my crafted full auto phaser is the overall strongest gun I've been able to find, ignoring that ridiculous lobi herald staff.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I ended up giving all my crazy OP gold lobi guns to my bridge officers and going back to a gold compression pistol most of the time. Or the sphere builder glove thing which is basically a full auto compression sniper rifle.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
New contemporary art from the sto forum

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty good renderings for 1998.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I'd cry too if I was a 1.5bn EC starship flown by an idiot who can't even zip up her uniform.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Coq au Nandos posted:

First lot of balance changes have been announced for Tribble. It's all kind of ground stuff but the focus definitely seems to be giving skills a base cooldown below which they won't go, which if applied to space would muck up a lot of cooldown reduction builds.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/s...416099+hmacsha1
Kligat got nerfed (not surprising). And it looks like engineering fabrications got nerfed, but it's hard to tell how badly from the patch notes.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

g0del posted:

Kligat got nerfed (not surprising). And it looks like engineering fabrications got nerfed, but it's hard to tell how badly from the patch notes.

I guess if you were putting down a shitload of shield and health turrets they were all buffing one another and creating an invincible bubble? :shrug:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

g0del posted:

Pretty severely, but it's not like they were all that good anyway. They'll still work just fine in their current role, being dropped by a boff and ignored, they'll just die a bit quicker. :shrug:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They already die in seconds in my experience, so this implies dropping them makes them instantly explode.

Then again, I still need to work on getting my ground setup sorted. I held on to the purple old-style kits forever. Now I need to get all these kit modules and things somehow.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 19, 2017

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Seconds, as in plural? Sounds like you must have been abusing an exploit, mister.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Troika had a meltdown in NOPPS when confronted about his mark stealing.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mondian posted:

Seconds, as in plural? Sounds like you must have been abusing an exploit, mister.
Seriously. One of the big changes in... gently caress, was it the F2P transition? Whenever they did the first big ground revamp early on anyway. Since the dominant strategy was "four engineer boffs with deployables then alt-tab, since everything took three minutes to die anyway" they changed the enemy AI to just focus-fire engineer deployables. And at the same time they made it so destroyed deployables explode and do a brief knockdown/stun effect to everyone nearby. At the moment they're still kind of vaguely useful on boffs at the moment since they won't eat your own powers and you can have deployables support each other, but after this patch... :geno:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Put a couple science officers in your away team and give them cold fusion flash 3, then give your engineers sabotage 3. Everything that isn't frozen to the ground or dying can't shoot back.

You'll need to buy the training manuals off the exchange because they're from a lockbox but worth it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh I know there's still decent ways to build away teams. It's just deployables are so overall horrible I can't fathom why Cryptic is triple nerfing them, especially in a way that reduces the usefulness of multiple engineering captains in teams.

Not like it really matters, the game's an imbalanced loving mess and it will continue to be so afterwards, just in new and exciting ways.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

g0del posted:

Kligat got nerfed (not surprising).

Boo, hiss.

hakimashou posted:

Troika had a meltdown in NOPPS when confronted about his mark stealing.

What, recently?

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

Asimo posted:

Seriously. One of the big changes in... gently caress, was it the F2P transition? Whenever they did the first big ground revamp early on anyway. Since the dominant strategy was "four engineer boffs with deployables then alt-tab, since everything took three minutes to die anyway" they changed the enemy AI to just focus-fire engineer deployables. And at the same time they made it so destroyed deployables explode and do a brief knockdown/stun effect to everyone nearby. At the moment they're still kind of vaguely useful on boffs at the moment since they won't eat your own powers and you can have deployables support each other, but after this patch... :geno:

To be fair, a good part of why the deployable spam strategy came about is they formed a good target for bugged Swordmaster full auto sprays while you and your squad were elsewhere. At least that's how I used them.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Aleth posted:

Boo, hiss.

What, recently?

A few hours ago

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
If he hadn't stolen those precious marks, then there wouldn't be a problem.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

Oh I know there's still decent ways to build away teams. It's just deployables are so overall horrible I can't fathom why Cryptic is triple nerfing them, especially in a way that reduces the usefulness of multiple engineering captains in teams.

Not like it really matters, the game's an imbalanced loving mess and it will continue to be so afterwards, just in new and exciting ways.

While we're on the topic, can we take a moment out to reminisce about peak quantum mortar? When it did appreciable damage and ignored walls, floors, and z-axis range and you could plop down a set on KGE and have it clear out distant rooms before you could even run to them :allears:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Dootman posted:

If he hadn't stolen those precious marks, then there wouldn't be a problem.

He stole the D4x out of my box and gave it to Tech, too.

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
I stole more marks than Troika. Get on my level, scrubs.

P.S. I'll steal your marks too.
P.P.S. I'm stealing everyone's marks from now on.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Nita posted:

I stole more marks than Troika. Get on my level, scrubs.

P.S. I'll steal your marks too.
P.P.S. I'm stealing everyone's marks from now on.

At least you own up to it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

We're not mad that Troika stole marks, that's proactive behavior in this glorious, Randian future that is Star Trek.

We're just upset that he showed weakness by denying it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also, now that I've tried it again after the "fixes", wow the Tzenkethi battlezone is still... bad. Every point on the map feels like the obnoxious slogs that were those "sit around the generator and wait" points in the prior space battlezones, which is only compounded by the fact they recapture points nearly instantly so if you don't have players idling on taken points to stop that you'll never actually get the token reward because it will never end. Good job, Cryptic. :toot:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
This was posted a month or two ago in the Elite Dangerous thread and I keep forgetting about it.

Anyone have any idea who it might be in STO?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/322482-Carnivorous-Space-Elves-AKA-The-Guardians

Make sure to click all the "spoilers" its where all the "art" is.

Its like some kind of autistic fusion of cassandrasaturn (its 100 pages long) and linamia (giant tit space sex elves) and the andorian clit massage roleplayers and pretty much everything you expect from space ship game player base in TYOOL 2017.

I refuse to believe this guy didnt make his mark on STO at some point.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

hakimashou posted:

This was posted a month or two ago in the Elite Dangerous thread and I keep forgetting about it.

Anyone have any idea who it might be in STO?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/322482-Carnivorous-Space-Elves-AKA-The-Guardians

Make sure to click all the "spoilers" its where all the "art" is.

Its like some kind of autistic fusion of cassandrasaturn (its 100 pages long) and linamia (giant tit space sex elves) and the andorian clit massage roleplayers and pretty much everything you expect from space ship game player base in TYOOL 2017.

I refuse to believe this guy didnt make his mark on STO at some point.

Would almost bet if this person was in STO, he'd be a member of the STO Roleplayer's fleet.

Edit: From the OP:

quote:

"When it comes to the female form of a Guardian, I deliberately chose to draw naturally large "chests" - the reason for this is actually a cultural one. As it states in the lore, the Guardians duties are to their responsibilities in the various tribes. Because of this, parents who breed have their off-spring, but then leave them at communal creches (as it states in the lore) - so who is going to feed the babies full time? The Guardian's nurses, of course - and, considering their culture prefers to go along the "natural" route, they would forgo, potentially, the technology of feeding through milk supplements (powdered milk). Therefore, if it is your duty in the tribe to feed and rear kids, you'll need the assets to do it (if this is the case, I seriously feel sorry for those nurses - but the lore is what it is)."

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 20, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LORE IS WHAT IT IS GUYS :smuggo:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hakimashou posted:

New contemporary art from the sto forum

Is this character supposed to be some sort out of outer space prostitute flying a transtemporal (pre-op) Constitution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
Looks like the CGI was stolen from an ATI All in Wonder box from 1998 and repurposed.

• Locked thread