Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

I [21f] found the the Chosen One[27m], fated to sow The Seed of Sanctification in my womb. When he met the Conclave, things were great. He even got the Three Blessings of the Matriarchs and passed the tests and withstood the Inquisition, all without any preparations! Later he got really mad during the Incantations of Intent and yelled at me and my family and now I don't know what to do. Help me Reddit!

:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"I intend... to BREED!"

the family cheers, they clear the table with their arms, the dishes crashing to the floor. the girl clambers onto the table, flips herself over in a rapidly congealing pool of gravy, and spreads her legs wide

they begin to chant

"BREED! BREED! BREED!"

he thrusts! he thrusts! he thrusts again!!

they accept him! they're chanting for him!

FEED! FEED! FEED!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I want to force every baby-sub to read Infinite Jest and write a brief but thoughtful thesis on it.

The doms too for that matter.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

I (M27) lost control on a date in front of her (F21) whole family. What can I do now?

Started reading expecting a meltdown ended up disappointed he didn't melt down harder. Good first date: go out for coffee and maybe a stroll around a park so you can get to know each other one on one and see if there's any sparks, no pressure. Bad first date: take your date out for multi hour grueling interrogation with forty overbearing family members who will ensure your date barely gets to talk to you.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

beejay posted:

I can't get over the use of the term "b'day" throughout that post.

I just kept reading it as bidet and got a totally different idea of 'coffee'

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

lazorexplosion posted:

Started reading expecting a meltdown ended up disappointed he didn't melt down harder. Good first date: go out for coffee and maybe a stroll around a park so you can get to know each other one on one and see if there's any sparks, no pressure. Bad first date: take your date out for multi hour grueling interrogation with forty overbearing family members who will ensure your date barely gets to talk to you.

Yup, seriously. Dude seems like a champ for putting up with that poo poo for as long as he did. I would've made up an excuse and left immediately in his situation. That girl seems like the type of extremely controlling crazy person who is planning out their baby names halfway through the first date, so even if he's too dense to realize it, he's lucky to have gotten out of there!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I wonder if Auntie was hornin' in on lil' missy's date.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

quote:

My [22F] girlfriend wants me [23M] to tell her that I will be with her forever, and I don't know if I will.

I'll try, but surely inevitably fail, to keep this brief. We've been together for 7 months. But as early as 4 months in, she has been showing signs of wanting me to constantly reassure and show her that we will be together until the day we die, and I will always, always want her by side, forever. Problem is, I cannot truthfully promise her that.

My major dilemma as to why I cant confidently say that is because I don't know if I'm in love with her, or if I'm in love with the potential of what she could be in the future.

She's awesome. Shes a great girl, and shows me love and appreciation in many ways, and I return it in many ways. We have similar interests and we make each other laugh and love being around each other. But I feel there's just a multitude of fundamental problems that we have between each other.

Its been 7 months, and we have not had sex yet. We're both virgins. I've been ready since week 1, but she hasn't. I didnt even bring it up until 2 months in, and when she explained to me that she doesnt feel ready, I completely respected that. 5 months into the relationship, I had hardly even brought it up, I respected her wishes completely, and gave her all the space I thought she needed. Finally I've been at least bringing it up, in a very tactful way, but she simply shies away from the conversation and puts it off. I have a high libido, and I believe sex is an important part of a relationship. She doesn't, she says she thinks it shouldn't matter at all if a couple truly loves each other. From what I've gathered, she doesn't want to have sex because shes insecure about her body (She has trouble taking her shirt off around me, she has not once taken her pants off in front of me) and she shows a lot of body insecurity. She does perform oral on me, which further makes me believe that the reason we dont go any father then that is because thats the only thing we can do that doesn't involve her body. I do my best to make sure to let her know how absolutely beautiful she is, but it feels like it does nothing for her.

Other problems I have- She doesn't work, or go to school, or drive. She has depression and anxiety, so I want to come from a point of understanding, and I have, i've never pressured her about it, but the thought of her being someone who never has a job and never goes to school for years down the line is troublesome. How could we get a place together if she doesn't work? Her anxiety stops her from doing all of these things, including driving. She doesn't drive because she has driving anxiety. I have to drive 25 minutes to pick her up every day, and 25 minutes to drop her back off. Its taxing to drive her everywhere.

There's much more I could say, but this is already getting to long

---TL;DR--- She wants me to reassure her and tell her that I'll be with her forever, but I cant do that. I love her, but I don't know if I can be with her if she doesn't make major changes. Is it best if I end it now, or should I wait it out to see if she can change for the better and grow with me throughout our relationship?

my man, you're not her boyfriend. you're her babysitter.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
{talking about the guys who met his date's extended family on the first date}

54 40 or gently caress posted:

It sounds like the beginning of a horror movie
The daughter must quickly be married and with child to provide the newest sacrifice for Imhotep.

edit: gently caress, beaten by Pvt. Scott

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

"I intend... to BREED!"

the family cheers, they clear the table with their arms, the dishes crashing to the floor. the girl clambers onto the table, flips herself over in a rapidly congealing pool of gravy, and spreads her legs wide

they begin to chant

"BREED! BREED! BREED!"

he thrusts! he thrusts! he thrusts again!!

they accept him! they're chanting for him!

FEED! FEED! FEED!

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

OP deleted this post but luckily I had it open in another window because holy poo poo-

Soon to be SIL (30'sF) hates my lesbian-casket shaking best friend (31F), and is wagging war demanding that my family cease contact. (Really long-Sorry- non-romantic)[new]

submitted 6 hours ago * by Casketshakersunit

quote:

My issue is a little complicated, so this is a long post. My eldest brother is getting married to Amy (30's). Amy and Brandon's relationship sort of blossomed out of no where, and they moved quickly. Amy didn't get nearly any time spent with my family before she and Brandon became engaged, and she started aggressively planning the wedding. Amy's a bridezilla. e.g. Amy wanted me to be a bridesmaid, and I declined because she asked me the first time I had ever met her. I wasn't comfortable being a bridesmaid, because I literally didn't know anything about her and didn't even recognize her or her name. Amy was mad, but then decided to invite me to every wedding-party-only event. I didn't attend, because of work and not being in the wedding party. Amy then decided she wanted me to get ordained and marry her and my brother. I declined again. Amy grew increasingly hostile. I've known Amy for less than a year.

I'm a career driven, happily single, childfree, thirty year old woman. I've got a beautiful house, great friends, and an advanced degree. I'm independent and love life. Amy doesn't agree with my "lifestyle." She told me that she was concerned that I was filled with self loathing, secretly depressed, and insecure, and she wanted to help. I had a laugh and ignored the message. I've never been a fan of monogamous relationships, and I'm happy having a causal (basically FWB) BF and GF simultaneously most of the time. Amy thinks I'm a disgusting sinner who is going to burn in hell, and that I only "act this way" to validate my insecrities, but she knows that there is hope for me and I don't need to burn eternally. I gave the old "somebody's got to keep it hot" line, and went back to enjoying family time and ignoring her judgment.

I don't parade my sex-kink life around, but I don't hide anything from my family (no they don't know all of my kinks, but I'm more than happy to have a laugh with my Mother & Sisters about a funny event at a dungeon, etc.). I don't joke openly for the whole family to hear at events, and mostly we joke through group texts or group calls. I should mention that my sisters are nothing like me. My three older sisters are gorgeous, have unused degrees, and have all married well. It's not uncommon for my sisters to have horrible problems such as "the new diamond ring my husband bought me is so big that it's scratched the hell out of my new luxury car door around the handle. I think I should just get a new car." Yes, this is their real life. My Mother's on marriage six, and exactly the same. My sisters all volunteer, and sit on charity boards, but have never had any actual paid job before. I love them, but I'm not "one" of them. I got my first job at 13, and honestly enjoy working. Amy doesn't have a problem with any of them, and believes that they are "the best sort of people."

As I've been primarily single, my best friend since childhood, Georgie (31F), has always been my plus one. Georgie IS a member of my family. She goes on family vacations, and even uses the holiday houses without the family on occasion. Georgie comes to every family event and holiday, is included in group messages and jokes, and often spends time with my Mother, sisters, or brothers without me. She could be shopping with them, going to the salon, drinking, or just round for dinner. She is for all intents and purposes a non-biological family member, and has been for over 20 years. Amy has decided that she hates Georgie with a passion. I think the hatred developed after I repeatedly failed to respond to the aggression Amy directed towards me.

Amy lists the following reasons as to why Georgie is a "disgusting excuse for a human being:"

My family attended Georgie's grandmother's funeral. When my Mother walked up to the casket to pay her respects Georgie gave the casket a hard shake. Hard enough, in fact, that her grandmother's head sort of bounced/flopped about. Georgie immediately had an "oh gently caress" look on her face, and it was obvious she was wondering why the hell she did that. In true Georgie fashion, she tried to "ease" the the tension in the now entirely silent staring room. She said loudly and awkwardly, "Well, we...we had to know didn't we? And....yes, yes that head flop cements the issue...she's dead. Yes...good and dead." Georgie said this all in a William Shatneresk fashion that was amazingly awkward. Georgie and I made eye contact, and then lost it laughing. Georgie stood by the casket laughing hard enough she began to snort, bent over with laughter, jerked up in surprise at her snort, and knocked a flower arrangement into the casket on her grandmother's head. We had to be lead out of the funeral to compose ourselves. It was horrible. My family jokes about Georgie the infamous casket shaker. Amy thinks this event was disgusting. I won't lie, I have no idea why Georgie shook the drat casket, and neither does she. Amy says "casket shaker" like other people say pedophile.

Georgie had both of our families over to hers to finally "revel" that she was a lesbian. It wasn't a surprise. Georgie had been dating women for ages, but not every one knew, and we mostly felt like we were in the mood for a good party. I helped plan the evening. Georgie hid in the coat closet, I served up fish tacos, and once everyone arrived Georgie burst out of the closest yelling "I'm coming out" as I played Diana Ross' "I'm Coming Out" and danced off to the side. We thought it was good fun, and the families had a laugh. Amy thought Georgie was tactless and disgusting, but said it had nothing to do with her sexual orientation. I explained the closet and tacos were my idea, but Amy said Georgie was to blame for the "debauchery."

Georgie, my sisters, and my brothers have a book that I made. It's entitled "Find Uncle Georgie." (Georgie accidently referred to herself as "Uncle" at one of my sisters ultrasounds that reveled the gender of the baby, and my thirteen nieces and nephews have giggled and referred to her as Uncle ever since.) I Photoshoped a creeper mustache and goatee on Georgie, and then hid her in various pictures of our families. My nieces and nephews think the book is hilarious, and love playing where's Waldo but instead it's "where's creeper Uncle Georgie." Amy had a tantrum about the book that I misunderstood. I thought she felt left out, so I shopped a photo of Amy and Brandon to add to the books. The only photo I had was their engagement photo, so that's what I used. Amy lost it. She said that some people "can't handle lesbians," and that Georgie was causing her "trauma". I joked, and asked if she had been attacked by a roaming horde of Lilly lickers, and Georgie added that lesbos do become particularly aggressive during mating season, so she understood the fear, but Amy needn't worry because Georgie wasn't currently rutting. Amy demanded my family interviene at this point, because she was "fearful."

So that's where we are. I'm not particularly interested in playing nice with Amy. I know mine and Georgie's sense of humor isn't for everyone, but I couldn't care less what Amy says because the woman is a bigot. I get the feeling that she's jealous of the bond that my family, particularly myself and my Mother, share with Georgie. Amy sent me text and said that she [Amy] is my sister now, and that I needed to put family first and limit Georgie's interactions with myself and my family. Amy said that she wanted to feel like part of the family and Georgie was making that impossible for her. Georgie and Amy have had nearly no interaction, and Georgie avoids talking about Amy to anyone, because she has no interest in the drama. I told Amy she wasn't my sister, but Georgie was, and that I have always and will always put family first. That's always included Georgie and always will. I told her Georgie was my plus one, and if she wasn't comfortable with her at the wedding she shouldn't be comfortable with me there either.

Amy has been hysterical ever since, and keeps trying to get my family to back her. My family point-blank stands by Georgie, and doesn't indulged Amy's hysterical behavior. Amy then gave away a ridiculously sentimental family heirloom that was given to Brandon. Amy said she did this because the family didn't treat her and Brandon like family, so they shouldn't care if they have family heirlooms. Amy says that it is Georgie's fault that the heirloom is gone, and that my family needs to realize how detrimental of an impact Georgie is having on our lives. My family essentially said gently caress you, the horse you rode in on, and your wedding.

Amy now won't leave Georgie and I alone. Block her number, and she uses another. Text messages come in at 2:30am that switch between bigoted-hateful vitriol, and pleading guilt trips. Brandon has remained entirely silent through out, besides once agreeing that Georgie was trying to split him and Amy up! Brandon could not explain how or why this was the case. Amy somehow contacted Georgie's partner to tell her that Georgie was in love with me AND Brandon. That's obviously not the case, and being bi doesn't mean that I cannot have platonic friends. Amy says it's "biologically impossible to be friends with someone you feel sexual desire towards." I am no more attracted to Georgie than I am to any other of my sisters for fucks sake. Georgie sent my Mother and sisters a group text and said that she was sorry to disappoint, but she couldn't be attracted to me because my "tits were too drat big and she just wouldn't know what to do with herself." As always, Amy was offended. Yes, this was a little crass of Georgie, but she was pretty annoyed at this point.

Amy is crazy. I don't think there's much else to the issue, but I don't know how to make the issue subside. We have done what we can to not be part of her life, and I'm torn between a loss of respect for Brandon and concern about his finacee's erratic behavior. I don't understand Amy's hatred of Georgie. I feel like I'm the cause of that hatred, but I don't really understand why.

So what do I do? I'll continue limiting contact. I'd hate to press charges for harassment, or obtain a protection order, and I hope this settles down before that becomes necessary. I feel like my jokes have caused a lot of the issues. I could try to stop joking around as much, but I immaturely want to say to hell with that. I'm a happy person who laughs way too hard at her own jokes, and my sisters and Mother are the same. I don't think we should have to change to accommodate crazy. Is this too immature? Should I attempt to modify my behavior, and ask Georgie to step back on the joking as well? Am I a bad sister for not caring in the least that I'm losing my relationship with Brandon by choosing Georgie?

Regardless of all else, I will not be ashamed of who I am. My lifestyle doesn't hurt anyone. I have never understood sexual orientation. I have always been attracted to people that I like. That person's gender has as much influence on my attraction to that person as their hair color does. I've never been able to understand why I wouldn't be attracted to someone because she happens to be a woman. I try to remember that other people truly aren't attracted to the same sex, and for some reason that makes me the odd ball. I don't want to play the victim card, but I cannot help but feel like Amy's issue is my open bisexuality, and Georgie's homo. I wasn't raised in a family that cared about things like that, and have always said to hell with people who do. I don't know if I'm reacting offensively because of my lack of understanding, but I don't think it should matter. I intentionally don't associate with people who believe they can judge who I have sex with, so I don't know if Amy's reactions are typical of the conservatuve-religious type in the adult world (obviously things were different in school).

Sorry about the length. This is a confusing situation.

TL/DR: Soon to be SIL hates my life long best friend, and wants my family and myself to cut her out of our lives. We refuse to do so, and it's costing us our relationship with my brother, and leading to harassment. Am I in the wrong, and how can I possibly ease this tension?

EDIT TO THIS MESS: I sent this post to my sisters. They said I'm way off, and Amy wants Brandon to believe that it's impossible for a "respectable wife" to work. Evidently Amy uses mine and Georgie's degenerate lifestyles as an example of what she will be exposed to if she keeps working after the wedding... I have no clue. She may have a lot more issues than I knew.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's lesbian casket-shaking, not lesbian-casket shaking. god dammit hypens aren't just for fun.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also that woman and Georgie both suck garbage and I hope they fall into a well and die.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

OP deleted this post but luckily I had it open in another window because holy poo poo-

Soon to be SIL (30'sF) hates my lesbian-casket shaking best friend (31F), and is wagging war demanding that my family cease contact. (Really long-Sorry- non-romantic)[new]

EDIT TO THIS MESS: I sent this post to my sisters. They said I'm way off, and Amy wants Brandon to believe that it's impossible for a "respectable wife" to work. Evidently Amy uses mine and Georgie's degenerate lifestyles as an example of what she will be exposed to if she keeps working after the wedding... I have no clue. She may have a lot more issues than I knew.

i get the feeling there's a whooooole lot more to this mess than OP is telling, and OP sure was telling a lot of erroneous poo poo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
WE'RE NOT HURTING ANYONE *acts like a flagrant moron and fucks up a family funeral in a manner befitting that horrific foam adventure youtube video*

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pick posted:

WE'RE NOT HURTING ANYONE *acts like a flagrant moron and fucks up a family funeral in a manner befitting that horrific foam adventure youtube video*

Pick it is NOT OKAY to remind people that video exists.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Jesu christo

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Georgie sounds completely goddamn insufferable and I would be tempted to not marry into a family that apparently just accepts this person who is not a relative

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

i didn't make it all the way through this but everyone in this story is insufferable.

this thing would've been half as long if the op hadn't written 500 words about her amazing lifestyle and cool house and all her friends and all the cool people she fucks and she's such a hard worker and and and amy is just JEALOUS and EVERYTHING IS SO GOOD IN HER LIFE

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Maaaan, American visitations/viewings/funerals are such a drag. Party it up a little. Everyone hang out. If you need to cry, do it. Say some Hail Marys and then get back to the beer pong. Everyone just wants to mumble and shake hands and maybe eat finger sandwiches.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Gloryhold It! posted:

Twitch streamers make a thing that people enjoy watching and people give them money so they can keep making the thing they enjoy watching. It's not that hard to understand. Especially now that twitch lets you give funbucks, which translates to money, you get by watching ads.

That said, some people go way the gently caress overboard like that guy I saw drop multiple thousands of dollars in a single night... multiple times.

I've seen several Overwatch streamers get donations of $2,000 to $5,000 from a single person (not the same person for each streamer, just specifying that it wasn't a bunch of donations that added up to that amount.) Amazon Prime gives you a free month of Twitch Pro or some poo poo, so you can donate five bux to your favorite streamer by subscribing, but I don't think I'd ever actually shell out money for these dudes.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
If you need to, treat tipping twitch streamers like tossing nickels at a hobo dancing for your amusement. Their smell and general employability are probably not too dissimilar.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pvt.Scott posted:

Maaaan, American visitations/viewings/funerals are such a drag. Party it up a little. Everyone hang out. If you need to cry, do it. Say some Hail Marys and then get back to the beer pong. Everyone just wants to mumble and shake hands and maybe eat finger sandwiches.

There's "party it up a little" and then there's "just gently caress with the corpse, why not, who cares about Grandma's remains"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

There's "party it up a little" and then there's "just gently caress with the corpse, why not, who cares about Grandma's remains"

If grandma didnt want to party in death, why did she own Weekend at Bernies 1 and 2 on vhs and dvd?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
People will pay insane amounts of money for video games. Several years ago when my buddy had a lot of free time during university people would pay him, and pay him well, to play games for them. They'd give him they're account info and poo poo and he'd get the 100% completion because the only thing these people cared about was having a plat on their profile.

Nerds are weird, and will spend any expendable income on unending amount of dumb poo poo

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Amy sounds like a crazy bitch but we're getting a very biased op so idk

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

ArbitraryC posted:

coffee for birthday is your line? imo that sounds a bit "you can't have 1 on 1 friends with the opposite sex" to me.

e: like to be specific in this scenario she both has expressed she doesn't want to hang out with this girl for social reasons and doesn't want to be open about their relationship so it'd be double weird to invite her.

I still wanna hear the conclusion of this one, what does thread think

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

Either she's just stardust or Jesus is giving her a new body anyway. Do body shots off of Nana's remains.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I am sure we are getting a one sided account, but I instinctively position myself against anyone who gives a gently caress what gender you are loving. I also instinctively position myself against anyone who tries to get people to turn their back on their own or thier friends without a good reason. Georgie shaking the casket could have been a weird grief thing. Most of the lesbians I have been exposed to were really good, low drama people that are great to have a beer with. Ann sounds a lot like my cousin's awful wife that does her best to keep my aunt away from her grandchildren for what are, as far as I can tell, a bunch of petty reasons tied up in imagined slights and social judgement.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antivehicular posted:

Georgie sounds completely goddamn insufferable and I would be tempted to not marry into a family that apparently just accepts this person who is not a relative

yeah like I've met these people. they're the worst.

I veer on quiiiirky, but an important skill is to knock that poo poo off in professional environments, restaurants, funerals, etc.

act like a loving adult jfc

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

I am sure we are getting a one sided account, but I instinctively position myself against anyone who gives a gently caress what gender you are loving. I also instinctively position myself against anyone who tries to get people to turn their back on their own or thier friends without a good reason. Georgie shaking the casket could have been a weird grief thing. Most of the lesbians I have been exposed to were really good, low drama people that are great to have a beer with. Ann sounds a lot like my cousin's awful wife that does her best to keep my aunt away from her grandchildren for what are, as far as I can tell, a bunch of petty reasons tied up in imagined slights and social judgement.

Shaking the casket and then doing some dumbass "dramatic reading" voice with a smattering of prithee-ees? And then laughing uproariously? turd's hosed up.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

therobit posted:

It's almost as if people are people and can be quite lovely regardless of their sexual orientation and in fact gays are probably just as terrible as straights

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Pick posted:

Shaking the casket and then doing some dumbass "dramatic reading" voice with a smattering of prithee-ees? And then laughing uproariously? turd's hosed up.

I guess I don't think Ann gets to say anything how the woman deals with her own grandma's death, and should not gently caress with someone's relationship with their family unless there is abuse or they are being taken advantage of. My wife's family is culturally different from my family and frankly a little racist and pretty low class. I worked my rear end off to build a good relationship with them for her and for our kids and I work hard to maintain that relationship and meet them at their level. My wife in turn puts up with my mother being a little crazy and sometimes super demanding and at other timea super fearful and insecure. If you can't hang in with someone's family it is best not to marry them because you are marrying into that family too. Maybe OP is a handful and maybe Georgie is nuts but if you can't accept someone's family then don't try to join it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

therobit posted:

I guess I don't think Ann gets to say anything how the woman deals with her own grandma's death, and should not gently caress with someone's relationship with their family unless there is abuse or they are being taken advantage of. My wife's family is culturally different from my family and frankly a little racist and pretty low class. I worked my rear end off to build a good relationship with them for her and for our kids and I work hard to maintain that relationship and meet them at their level. My wife in turn puts up with my mother being a little crazy and sometimes super demanding and at other timea super fearful and insecure. If you can't hang in with someone's family it is best not to marry them because you are marrying into that family too. Maybe OP is a handful and maybe Georgie is nuts but if you can't accept someone's family then don't try to join it.

Nah actually, it's cool and good not to put up with racists

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

therobit posted:

My wife's family is culturally different from my family and frankly a little racist and pretty low class.

therobit posted:

I work hard to maintain that relationship and meet them at their level.

lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's dumb. Being a stupid fuckass at a funeral affects everyone there. If you can't help but be an insipid idiot, stay home.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I will usually go out of my way to guess why the idiot did the dumb thing in these stories cause that's half the fun of this thread but this is one of those situations where even the most generous scenario would make them look bad. There aren't enough concessions to somehow stumble into literally shaking a casket and laughing about it during a funeral.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pick posted:

That's dumb. Being a stupid fuckass at a funeral affects everyone there. If you can't help but be an insipid idiot, stay home.

But that would mean having to make a difficult choice

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pick posted:

yeah like I've met these people. they're the worst.

I veer on quiiiirky, but an important skill is to knock that poo poo off in professional environments, restaurants, funerals, etc.

act like a loving adult jfc

I'm one of the 'fun guys' and I was loving cringing the whole time I was reading that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah actually, it's cool and good not to put up with racists

You would think that but it isn't an immutable charachteristic and does not make the whole of what someone is. It is like any other serious charcter flaw. You can be racist and still be an otherwise good person. Most whites in America are to some degree racist, whether they are conscious of it or not. Are you gonna tell your spouse "We ain't going over for Christmas because your dad has lovely views?"