Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

But he's not so sad that he can't end the episode with "lol Spock u look like the devil" -- an almost Trumpian response to being told you violated the prime directive

I like that one planet whose pre-Cold War history was an exact duplicate of earth's right down to the identical phrasing in the US Constitution and the Declaration of Independence with one essential difference: the Book of Revelations draws the devil looking exactly like Spock.

E: I want to see the Carbon Creek episode all about Spocks' great-great-great grandpappy visiting that world and accidentally scaring the poo poo out of their John of Patmos

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think a large problem with both Voyager and Enterprise was that their antagonists sucked, and they dwelt on them.

Kazon are basically palette-swapped Klingons except four times as dumb with poop hair and they were dealing with them for ages. They weren't scary, they were annoying, like the early Ferengi, but unlike the Ferengi they showed up again and again.

Enterprise kept fixated on the ridiculous temporal cold war, which is an interesting concept, but I feel like if you're going prequel you need to cash in on the nostalgia. The Klingon, Vulcan, and especially Andorian stuff worked pretty well I thought. Suliban fell flat, and while the Xindi were neat, they were also somewhat out of left field. They needed to start hinting at Romulans in season 1 in an arch-nemesis way, but Enterprise was basically purpose built for planet-of-the-week.

Babylon 5 season 3 came from the library. I find myself wondering how many Starfleet captains have had to shove their combadges up their butts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The only way that B&B were able to get the studio to approve a prequel was to directly tie it in to the TNG era becuase the studios were still staring at TNG's ratings while they jacked off under the desk. So the temporal cold war was their concession to going no no guys it really is a TNG sequel.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Wait those people in the leaks are supposed to be klingons?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kingtheninja posted:

Wait those people in the leaks are supposed to be klingons?

No. The guy who leaked it didn't know much about Star Trek and just thought "star trek aliens? must be Klingons."

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I'm bored and seriously considering converting the Enterprise-D's blueprints into Google Maps or OpenStreetMap's interior map formats.

There's a new Stage-9 alpha build out that now includes some neat bits like part of the main computer core. The guy behind it has implemented Nvidia VXGI real-time lighting which means you need a pretty stout computer to run it. My 970m equipped laptop is barely hitting 30fps at FHD resolution. It used to be around 100 with the static lighting.

Edit: I just noticed his site is down. :(
Here's the Reddit page for further reading.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 6, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Today I learned that the end credits for Star Trek III credit Grace Lee Whitney as "Woman in Bar" and show that Frank Welker provided the "Spock Screams."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Time for another episode of "Wacky Star Trek poo poo That Gonz Found Out There In The World":

They truly DID make an action figure for nearly every character, didn't they?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I wish I still had my TNG transporter toy. I would have put all of those through it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I found my TNG tricorder and phaser when I was home for Christmas. Tricorder still works, but the phaser had some corrosion and a wire fell off the board somewhere. Trying to fix it, but I don't have a soldering iron so... :shrug:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Beachcomber posted:

I found my TNG tricorder and phaser when I was home for Christmas. Tricorder still works, but the phaser had some corrosion and a wire fell off the board somewhere. Trying to fix it, but I don't have a soldering iron so... :shrug:

Reroute it through the emitter array.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CPColin posted:

Today I learned that the end credits for Star Trek III credit Grace Lee Whitney as "Woman in Bar"

If she hadn't already made an appearance in TMP, that would be a very cruel way to re-introduce her to the franchise

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

The_Doctor posted:

Reroute it through the emitter array.

No, no, no the Phase Coupler will never hold up.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Gonz posted:

Time for another episode of "Wacky Star Trek poo poo That Gonz Found Out There In The World":

They truly DID make an action figure for nearly every character, didn't they?

lol the Tom Paris one. "Three Mutant Offspring." :wink:

If this post is to be believed, they made a figure for everything and everyone in Trek. This means I can fulfill my dream of owning one of those goons from "Move Along Home" to put at the table when I run D&D.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Railing Kill posted:

If this post is to be believed, they made a figure for everything and everyone in Trek. This means I can fulfill my dream of owning one of those goons from "Move Along Home" to put at the table when I run D&D.

Sadly the DS9 series was very small :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I never had any redshirt figures as a kid, so I'd always have O'Brien die on the away missions.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never had any redshirt figures as a kid, so I'd always have O'Brian die on the away missions.

New story idea. One day after an away mission, O'brien returns to the ship only to find he is already there, living his normal life. The crew awkwardly has to explain to him that in order to save time they loaded his Transporter save early this time. The O'briens have to learn to live with himselves, the revelation of the lies his crew-mates had been telling him, and the knowledge that he has died over 100 times.

So basically a normal O'brien ep.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 6, 2017

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

remusclaw posted:

New story idea. One day after an away mission, O'brien returns to the ship only to find he is already there, living his normal life. The crew awkwardly has to explain to him that in order to save time they loaded his Transporter save early this time. The O'briens have to learn to live with himselves, the revelation of the lies his crew-mates had been telling him, and the knowledge that he has died over 100 times.

So basically a normal O'brien ep.

That'd be what would happen if they didn't find out that the secret Manchurian Candidate clone of O'Brien was a fake.

Which is the best and worst "gently caress you O'Brien" episode?

I think the one that I legit felt sorry for him most in was "Hard Time".

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Kingtheninja posted:

Ducked out for a few weeks. I read the flaming wreck of discovery news (production stuff), have they given up yet or still pushing through?

I've been out of the Trek loop for a while, can anyone fill me in?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CommaToes posted:

That'd be what would happen if they didn't find out that the secret Manchurian Candidate clone of O'Brien was a fake.

Probably when his already terrible shrew of a wife was possessed by a space ghost.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Beachcomber posted:

I'm going to assume you tried to reverse the polarity.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Railing Kill posted:

Did they make the kid versions of Picard and Guinan and the others?

Asking for Aatrek.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

CommaToes posted:

I think the one that I legit felt sorry for him most in was "Hard Time".

Hard Time was rough. That poor dude did the phaser equivalent of putting a shotgun in his mouth. And he forgot Keiko was pregnant. He spent 20 years on a fake life and thought about his unborn child that he will never see and eventually literally forgot it existed.

I liked Visionary a lot because you can see him go "oh for fucks sake" like every time he time skips.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've been out of the Trek loop for a while, can anyone fill me in?

Timby posted:

So ... what's Star Trek: Discovery?
In late 2014 and throughout 2015, rumors began to circulate that CBS was exploring the possibility of bringing Star Trek back to television in some form or another. After talking with several potential producers, CBS finally announced in early 2016 that Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies, Hannibal) would be the executive producer of the new series alongside Alex Kurtzman. As conceived by Fuller, its first season will be a 13-episode single story arc.

So Trek is back on TV?
Not quite. CBS originally intended for Discovery to be the centerpiece of the launch of its All Access streaming service, and the international streaming rights were sold to Netflix. But the first season, in North America, is going to be exclusive to All Access, which costs $9.99 a month and is such a tremendous piece of crap that CBS has already allied with Hulu to use Hulu's backend for live streaming. On a positive note, Les Moonves is on the record as saying that the international Netflix deal covered at least half of the production budget for the first season.

HOWEVER, the pilot episode will be broadcast on CBS proper. All further episodes will be on the All Access service.

Oh. But Bryan Fuller is running it? That's AWESOME!
Not quite. While Fuller conceived the show, assembled the team of writers and producers, came up with his overall story for the first season and wrote the first two episodes ... but Fuller is a notorious perfectionist and isn't known for moving at a terribly speedy pace. Later in 2016, there were rumors that there was a delay imminent (the show was originally slated to start filming in August for a January launch, and by September there still were no casting announcements), and then rumors started to fly that Fuller might be taking a reduced role -- which was soon announced. While it was originally said that Fuller was still actively involved in the show and would be working with the writers, just not handling the day-to-day operations, Fuller himself later confirmed that his involvement with Discovery was over -- beyond the story concept and having written the first two scripts, he is now completely out of the picture, though he retains his "created by" and executive producer titles.

Oh. Well, that sucks. Who IS involved, then?
The day-to-day executive producers are Gretchen Berg and Heather Kadin, with Akiva Goldsman lending support in the writers' room. Both Berg and Kadin have experience working on Alex Kurtzman's television shows. A number of Trek alumni are involved, as well: Nicholas Meyer is on board as a consulting producer who is also working on scripts; Next Generation / DS9 / Voyager writer Joe Menosky is on board as a writer; Rod Roddenberry has an executive producer title.

Huh. Okay, that might work. So what's it about?
Discovery is set ten years prior to The Original Series, per Fuller, though it's unclear if he means literally ten years prior to "Where No Man Has Gone Before" or if he's being cagey and suggesting it's ten years prior to "The Cage." In any event, the show's first season will cover "an incident in the history of Starfleet that had been talked about but never fully explored." What that means is anyone's guess, but some ideas include the Tarsus IV blight or something to do with the Romulans.

And the ship?
Based upon Ralph McQuarrie's rejected Enterprise design from Planet of the Titans, the USS Discovery is ... ugly as poo poo.

Who's on it?
Discovery will be the first Star Trek show not to focus upon the ship's commanding officer as the central character. Currently announced cast members include:

- Sonequa Martin-Green as Rainsford: The lieutenant commander of the USS Discovery, referred to as "Number One."
- Doug Jones as Saru: An alien Science Officer serving as a lieutenant aboard the Discovery.
- Anthony Rapp as Stamets: A Science Officer specializing in astromycology (the study of fungi in space). He is openly gay.
- James Frain as Sarek

Michelle Yeoh has been cast in a recurring role as the captain of the USS Shenzhou, while Shazad Latif (Spooks) will recur as the commanding officer of a Klingon ship.

When's it coming?
As I said earlier, it was originally intended to begin showing in January of this year. In September, it was announced that the show had been delayed to May. Earlier this month, it was announced that it had been delayed again, this time to an indefinite date in the future. Production began the week of January 23.

What timeline is it set in?
Timeline?! This is no time to argue about time. We don't have the time.

What was I saying? Oh, right. Discovery is set in the Prime Timeline. Don't worry if you hate the reboot movies, because this isn't part of that universe.

---

There, just link to this giant effort post whenever we start going through the same half-dozen questions about Discovery.

tl;dr: Fuller was pushed out last year because he was taking too long with the scripts and causing production delays, they didn't start filming until the end of January, they're still making casting decisions, and multiple reports from on-set sources have indicated the entire production is a complete and utter shitshow that CBS is rushing out the door because it's wasted too much money already. And it's still going to be on All Access :lol:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Miles O'Brien Must Suffer episodes off the top of my head:

The Wounded (TNG)
Disaster (TNG)
Data's Day (TNG) (He marries Keiko in this one, so it counts)
The Storyteller (DS9)
Captive Pursuit (DS9)
Tribunal (DS9)
Visionary (DS9)
Hard Time (DS9)
Time's Orphan (DS9)
Empok Nor (DS9)
(I'm not counting any of the Mirror Universe poo poo. Smiley can fend for himself. Our universe is already hard enough on one Miles O'Brien.)

Of that list, "Hard Time" has to be the roughest. That one is legitimately upsetting. I know a few folks with PTSD, and that episode got me right in the feels, as the kids say. It's one of my favorite episodes, but also pretty hard to watch.

"Empok Nor" and "Tribunal" are right up there, though. Poor Miles. :(

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Rascals is pretty rough for O'Brien too. Jesus, Keiko, are you crazy?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Railing Kill posted:

The Wounded (TNG)
Disaster (TNG)
The Storyteller (DS9)
Captive Pursuit (DS9)
Tribunal (DS9)
Visionary (DS9)
Hard Time (DS9)
Time's Orphan (DS9)
Empok Nor (DS9)
(I'm not counting any of the Mirror Universe poo poo. Smiley can fend for himself. Our universe is already hard enough on one Miles O'Brien.)

Of that list, "Hard Time" has to be the roughest. That one is legitimately upsetting. I know a few folks with PTSD, and that episode got me right in the feels, as the kids say. It's one of my favorite episodes, but also pretty hard to watch.

You forgot "Armageddon Game".

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
When O'Brien's not in the episode, just assume that he's suffering.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Extreme Measures is the Season 7 O'Brien suffers episode as Bashir cajoles him into invading the dying mind of a secret agent.

Probably the most heinous O'Brien suffering is in Rocks and Shoals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYb1E9PweUk

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Railing Kill posted:

The Wounded (TNG)
Disaster (TNG)
The Storyteller (DS9)
Captive Pursuit (DS9)
Tribunal (DS9)
Visionary (DS9)
Hard Time (DS9)
Time's Orphan (DS9)
Empok Nor (DS9)

A Klingon also beats the tar out of O'Brien when they invade the station in The Way of the Warrior.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
If I were a pro wrestler my signature move would be the "O'Brien sternum clutch"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Timby posted:

tl;dr: Fuller was pushed out last year because he was taking too long with the scripts and causing production delays, they didn't start filming until the end of January, they're still making casting decisions, and multiple reports from on-set sources have indicated the entire production is a complete and utter shitshow that CBS is rushing out the door because it's wasted too much money already. And it's still going to be on All Access :lol:

Yikes...

RIP Star Trek. :(

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Firebert posted:

Yea holy gently caress she acts super inappropriately with him. I get that the Federation is progressive and all, but they're not up to pedo acceptance levels.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Kibbles n Shits posted:

If I were a pro wrestler my signature move would be the "O'Brien sternum clutch"

The wrestling move where you run around taunting them and wear them out to the point they can't fight back is called The Keiko.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I like the episode where Keiko gets possessed by a Pai'Wraith but she's such a bitch all the time anyway so O'Brien doesn't even notice

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

vermin posted:

When O'Brien's not in the episode, just assume that he's suffering.

Whenever you don't see him crawling around in a Jefferies Tube or being psychologically tortured by aliens, you can assume he's being berated by Keiko about diapers or plants or something banal. "Miiiiiiiiles. I think you're spending too much time playing darts."

Timby posted:

A Klingon also beats the tar out of O'Brien when they invade the station in The Way of the Warrior.

MillennialVulcan posted:

Extreme Measures is the Season 7 O'Brien suffers episode as Bashir cajoles him into invading the dying mind of a secret agent.

Probably the most heinous O'Brien suffering is in Rocks and Shoals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYb1E9PweUk

jng2058 posted:

You forgot "Armageddon Game".

Firebert posted:

Sure. There's also "the Assignment," where Keiko gets possessed.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Railing Kill posted:

Whenever you don't see him crawling around in a Jefferies Tube or being psychologically tortured by aliens, you can assume he's being berated by Keiko about diapers or plants or something banal. "Miiiiiiiiles. I think you're spending too much time playing darts."

Sure. There's also "the Assignment," where Keiko gets possessed.

There is also a kind of running storyline in season one of DS9 where O'Brien thinks that Bashir is an incredibly irritating and inexperienced tool of an officer and Sisko keeps making them work together, which is pretty great.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

There is also a kind of running storyline in season one of DS9 where O'Brien thinks that Bashir is an incredibly irritating and inexperienced tool of an officer and Sisko keeps making them work together, which is pretty great.

Now, was Bashir just pretending to be like that as part of his doe-eyed disguise he put on to mask his augmentation?

Or was the whole Genetically Altered thing a crappily thought out afterthought?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

CommaToes posted:

Now, was Bashir just pretending to be like that as part of his doe-eyed disguise he put on to mask his augmentation?

Or was the whole Genetically Altered thing a crappily thought out afterthought?

There scene at the end of the first augment episode explicitly states that Bashir was trying to be lame all along. O'Brien asks him if he's been letting him win at darts. At first Bashir scoffs at it, but when O'Brien presses him, he takes five steps back from their normal line and puts every dart on the bullseye.

(I guess you could also count this as Miles O'Brien Must Suffer. Dude can't even beat his buddy at darts, ever.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like the episode where Keiko gets possessed by a Pai'Wraith but she's such a bitch all the time anyway so O'Brien doesn't even notice

i liked the one where she knew o'brien was a fake o'brien because he never takes coffee in the afternoons and then when they get him back he orders coffee and he's like "what? no i do this all the time"