Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah the roommate can easily fire back about OP's gf staying there (I'll be honest, I don't remember the story saying if she does or not).

Idk as soon as the tubber's bf starts throwing down fatshaming as a defense of theft, I think pettiness goes out the window and you go for the gut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MF_James posted:

Gonna cause an even larger rift with the roommate, which may, or may not, be desirable.

nothing about the roommate situation sounds salvageable, but the better option imho is to bake a new cake using concrete instead of flour and leave it cooling on the windowsill for her

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Thanks! I forgot about how completely off the rails it gets. That thing about leaving a note on his ex-wife's dead son's grave :stare:

Also how absolutely inconsiderate of a human being do you have to be to eat a homemade cake that someone else made? When I read the title I thought it was just like occasionally grabbing some snacks or something but that's really beyond the pale.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Apparently there was an update

quote:

Well guys, I'm an rear end in a top hat. I let my desire for revenge take over but I gotta say it feels so sweet.

First some background: my lease with my roommate ends in less than a week. Two months ago he asked me to relocate with him and his girlfriend(!) to a new apartment because we both hate our current place. So I thought quickly and said yes. I know, right? Totally crazy, but I had a plan and maybe a lesson could be learned.

So I told them to pick out a place and tour it because I am really busy with work at the moment, which is true. They found a pretty expensive place (way out of their range because they both only work part time) and started the relevant paperwork. I told him my credit was poor, so he should just put their names on the lease and I would pay him my share every month.

Meanwhile I started looking for places with my girlfriend and we found a nice house to settle into. We signed the lease, payed the deposit and I just finished moving in. When my now ex roomie gets home he'll find all my stuff moved out and a note detailing all of this and why I did this to them.

I feel a tiny bit bad because of the condition I left them in; a lease they can't afford, no furniture or kitchen stuff because 90% of it was mine before moving in, and worst of all they're stuck alone with each other. But it feels so good to be free, this is why you don't take for granted and gently caress with someone you rely on so much. It's over and I haven't felt this comfortable in my home in a long time.

tl;dr: I'm an rear end in a top hat but revenge is so sweet.

Prolly fake but I wonder if leaving a note could get him in legal trouble, verbal agreements are still verbal agreements and he literally has a written confession that he made one with intent on reneging on it. I feel like those daytime small claims courts shows have had people successfully get sued for "you promised to contribute to this and didn't".

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

Apparently there was an update

Prolly fake but I wonder if leaving a note could get him in legal trouble, verbal agreements are still verbal agreements and he literally has a written confession that he made one with intent on reneging on it. I feel like those daytime small claims courts shows have had people successfully get sued for "you promised to contribute to this and didn't".

none of the people in that story are competent enough to pursue a trial even if there was actual grounds for one, which, not really

for variety here's someone who probably should just cut to the chase and gently caress their sibling
I [26/M] discovered my wife [24/F] (of 1.5 years) has a secret tumblr diary

quote:

The issue: The other day we were just laying in bed together, just hanging out. She's on her laptop watching some law and order show and I was watching a game. I wanted to look something up so I grab her phone, which was right next to me. We've NEVER had a problem with dealing with each other's phones. We don't snoop, we're very good about trusting each other with access. I don't remember her passcode anymore but I have a fingerprint stored on her iPhone, so I unlock that and see the tumblr app pulled up.

I've always known that she liked going on tumblr but I never got into it myself, but I thought maybe I could scroll through a few posts and see if there was anything I could poke fun at her about, maybe see if she "liked" something that she secretly wanted for her birthday, etc. This entire time while I was holding her phone she didn't even flinch, just glanced at me and kept watching her episode. I know her tumblr blog name and occasionally visit it, but I've never really paid attention to what she follows.

While I was poking around the app I noticed that she had more than one blog. She had her main one that I knew of, and another one with a lock icon next to it with a name that's something like (changed for privacy reasons) "mysecretthoughts.tumblr.com." I was really intrigued by this and clicked into it, and it's just all a stream of diary-like posts, a lot of which are vent posts and (what concerns me) a lot are targeted towards my sister.

So my sister, Gemma, is 19 and in her senior year of high school. Like I said before, we live in my hometown so we see my side of the family quite a bit. At least once a week. My sister and I have always been close (I have another brother, 23 but he and I are definitely not as close as me and Gemma) but she did not like Elaine at all when they first met and would never talk to her whenever I invited her over to hang out, watch a movie, have dinner, etc. Elaine always shrugged it off because Gemma was only a teenager at the time, and she would just joke about how when she was her age, she was an emo teenager who hated everyone too. I LOVED that part about her, because I know Gemma can be difficult to deal with, and even now she's still pretty moody at times. I thought things had gotten better in these last four years but now I feel like an idiot.

I'll just paraphrase some of them briefly. A lot of them are about how she doesn't understand how Gemma can be such a lackluster student, and how if she were a parent she would never let her daughter turn out like Gemma. She has a few posts ranting about how Gemma is still a thirteen year old inside, and will never grow up. She's apparently "tired of everyone making excuses" for her, because Gemma will still lock herself in her room and avoid company whenever my wife and I pay my parents a visit (this is completely her fault and we've tried talking to her about it, but she doesn't care). It's just a bunch of sporadic rants about that, a few on my mom (typical mother-in-law dynamics--nothing too major there and she and my mom get along fairly well except over a few political disagreements). A few posts are long and elaborated, but a lot more are just posts that say "UGGH! I can't even" and stuff like that. However, one of the details that really stung was a post she made about my sister's ACT scores. Elaine got an almost perfect score when she took it, but my sister got a 19. She had a post about how she thought that I made a typo the first time I told her (via text), and that she was aghast someone with such a privileged background (my dad was a doctor and my mom an engineer, we definitely grew up wealthy) could just waste all of her advantages.

I'm not sure what I should do, now that I know these are the real thoughts my wife has about my sister. Whenever we interact Elaine is always polite, maybe even excessively so (now that I think about it). She's offered Gemma tutoring. When we were watching the superbowl last winter and my parents were away on vacation, I made food for us but Gemma would only sneak down, take a plate of food, and slip back to her room. At one point Elaine called for her as she was walking away and invited her to join us. Elaine has recently gotten into purchasing makeup (now that she got a corporate job) and wanted to know if my sister would be interested in some of her barely-used hand-me-downs. (She wasn't.) I KNOW that Elaine has been very gracious to my sister who honestly can be really appalling in her behavior, but now I feel like it's just all an act. I don't even know what to do.

So reddit, should I talk with Elaine about this? Should I just pretend like I never saw it? I'm so conflicted. We're planning on visiting my parents again this weekend and I don't want it to be a weekend of awkwardness.

quote:

I would agree if it were about anyone else, but this is my sister, and I feel like I should be sticking up for her. I didn't know my wife felt this way about her and it just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, like she's been lying to me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Yeah but at least when you get an F in that class your parents can have a heads up and make some informed decisions.

and your teacher will gently caress you

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I dunno, wife shouldn't really be blamed for having those thoughts, although she probably should just keep them in her loving head or talk to a friend about it instead of putting it up on the internet, but this is the age we live in where everyone thinks putting their thoughts on the internet is cool and good and that someone will care.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

none of the people in that story are competent enough to pursue a trial even if there was actual grounds for one, which, not really

for variety here's someone who probably should just cut to the chase and gently caress their sibling

sister sounds like a loser so

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

:stare:

Wizard you're awesome but if that's the read you get from that one I think you should come up for some air, you've been in this thread too long.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

food court bailiff posted:

Wizard you're awesome but if that's the read you get from that one I think you should come up for some air, you've been in this thread too long.

Oh yeah this, lol how did you get a sisterfucker vibe from this?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The only thing I'ma say here is sometimes people gotta vent and they don't fully mean everything they say when doing so.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Apparently he didn't actually admit to any wrongdoing in the note, he clarified that when someone else asked about the legality.

Also there were a couple choice comments from the OP that made this lady seem even more awful:

quote:

In November I took a week long trip out of town and came back to my pantry locks cut and she had a new key made after my landlord took hers. So the lowest road it was.

I feel like this should violate laws on some level.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

monsters

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

food court bailiff posted:

guy's sister is a cave troll and now he's pissed off at his unfailingly nice, accomodating wife for privately not adoring his cave troll in her heart of hearts. His wife actively being poo poo all over for years is, ofc, nothing to be concerned about, because she doesn't matter the only thing that matters is ~cave troll~

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 10, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

guy's sister is a cave troll and now he's pissed off at his unfailingly nice, accomodating wife for privately not adoring his cave troll in her heart of hearts

Maybe the sister can sense that the wife hates her but has trouble addressing/handling it because the wife is obviously good at putting on a veil of kindness.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A private tumblr blog is actually pretty close to a locked journal as far as the internet goes. A txt file hidden somewhere in your system32 folder is more traditional but it's not 2005 anymore

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

ArbitraryC posted:

Also there were a couple choice comments from the OP that made this lady seem even more awful:

Lmao

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
At some point it feels like she would have just been better off shoplifting from corner stores to get her munch on. Duping keys and boltcutting into pantries just to steal your bf's roommate's food is like borderline pathological.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I brought bolt-cutters in order to get into my boyfriend's roommates' supply of ding dongs

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

As much as it's a tired reddit cliche, dude really shouldn't have invaded his wife's privacy and looked at her secret private tumblr blog, which is literally the modern diary. He should forget that he ever looked at it and move on with his life. Maybe trust his wife and not invade her privacy next time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

guy's sister is a cave troll and now he's pissed off at his unfailingly nice, accomodating wife for privately not adoring his cave troll in her heart of hearts. His wife actively being poo poo all over for years is, ofc, nothing to be concerned about, because she doesn't matter the only thing that matters is ~cave troll~

I agree, dude's way out of line, especially since he seems to agree with her private thoughts. Just mad that she wrote them down?? His wife sounds like a saint.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Absolutely no one empathizes with the literal teenage girl who's brother's wife genuinely hates her but puts on a display of being nice to make it all her problem? That's basically the plot of a lifetime original right there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

Absolutely no one empathizes with the literal teenage girl who's brother's wife genuinely hates her but puts on a display of being nice to make it all her problem? That's basically the plot of a lifetime original right there.

19 on the ACT? gently caress that bitch

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

the new harry potter books really suck

Still better than the play.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

I agree, dude's way out of line, especially since he seems to agree with her private thoughts. Just mad that she wrote them down?? His wife sounds like a saint.

Yeah, that's the thing. The dude writes the post as if he's agreeing strongly with his wife about his lazy sister, but is still aghast that she wrote it down and is keeping secrets from him???? What an rear end. He doesn't deserve her.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

I've been a groomsman and I've never had to help set up poo poo lmao

Yeah. If anything, all of the groomsmen and the groom were actively kept away from most involvement to avoid loving poo poo up with hijinks when I was a groomsman.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Pick posted:

19 on the ACT? gently caress that bitch

:same:

Seriously though, unless the wife's blog is solely about the sister, which would be a bit much, who cares what she writes about? Sounds like the sister is a gently caress up and the wife is frustrated by gently caress ups. At least she's pleasant to the sister irl

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah. If anything, all of the groomsmen and the groom were actively kept away from most involvement to avoid loving poo poo up with hijinks when I was a groomsman.

This, all of my friends got married within 2 years of each other after getting out of college and we were all still kind of misfits.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

The sooner he accepts that his sister is a loser, the better. He cares about her, but he definitely know it to be true. She's even nice enough to try to be super pleasant with her, instead of rolling her eyes and treating her like That Kid. The wife is good and he should learn to be able to talk candidly about his sister.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

My father in law is a loser and when we're with friends and taking about our families I'll even say as such, but sometimes she beats me to it and throws in adjectives like "pathetic" and I'm like "Whoa. Harsh, but fair."

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

many johnnys posted:

he should learn to be able to talk candidly about his sister.
Definitely.

A lot of people have trouble discussing the flaws of their family. My dad's a jerk and I still have trouble talking about it with my wife. It's getting easier, because the jerkiness keeps happening, but the brother probably cares about his sister which makes talking about her screw ups difficult.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

MF_James posted:

This, all of my friends got married within 2 years of each other after getting out of college and we were all still kind of misfits.

We had a giant Nerf battle on the day of the wedding rehearsal, on church grounds. Ambushed the bride and groom on the way out of the building. We left a pair of Mavericks nearby the main doors so they weren't unarmed for long and there was a chain gun laying around that they got ahold of. We had left a bunch of guns tucked all over the day before. It was pretty fun.

Mother of the bride was nonplussed.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This kid is definitely being poorly served by someone/something in her life -- maybe parents, maybe brain chemistry, who knows -- and I can't really blame the wife for being frustrated that the husband seems largely unconcerned about it. Obviously she shouldn't be a shithead to the kid, and maybe it is coming through that she's not happy, but maybe also the brother should start giving a poo poo about his sister obviously failing to thrive?

ENHANCE YOUR MASCULINE POWER BY NEVER DOING OR EXPERIENCING ANYTHING YOU MIGHT FEEL A POSITIVE EMOTION ABOUT, BECAUSE NATURAL SENSATIONS OF PLEASURE AND SATISFACTION MAKE YOU BITCHMAAAAAAADE

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I am cucked by Frank Zappa

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

ENHANCE YOUR MASCULINE POWER BY NEVER DOING OR EXPERIENCING ANYTHING YOU MIGHT FEEL A POSITIVE EMOTION ABOUT, BECAUSE NATURAL SENSATIONS OF PLEASURE AND SATISFACTION MAKE YOU BITCHMAAAAAAADE

Pretty much. I think they're even too busy trying to wring out as much psychological warfare leverage as possible to enjoy the act when they actually manage to manipulate someone into having sex with them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Googling the no music thing actually brings up a lot of people on the internet treating it as some sort of addiction.

What a weird opinion.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Antivehicular posted:

This kid is definitely being poorly served by someone/something in her life -- maybe parents, maybe brain chemistry, who knows -- and I can't really blame the wife for being frustrated that the husband seems largely unconcerned about it. Obviously she shouldn't be a shithead to the kid, and maybe it is coming through that she's not happy, but maybe also the brother should start giving a poo poo about his sister obviously failing to thrive?

there's probably something in not constantly blasting your ears with music. you'd probably enjoy it a lot more when you did listen to it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Googling the no music thing actually brings up a lot of people on the internet treating it as some sort of addiction.

What a weird opinion.

You know I thought the sugar is more addictive than crack cut it out of your life forever folks were a scotch overzealous but here we are with neo-puritans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

My [22F] best friend [23F] is out of work and applied for a job at my office. It's giving me anxiety and I don't know why or what to do.

quote:

I graduated May 2015 and started my job right away. I really love it, am succeeding and want to stay with this company at the very least another 2-3 years to learn more skills and maybe move up the ranks a smidge. We are divided into two teams, inbound (sales/support/internal stuff) and an outbound sales team. I’m inbound, and my friend applied for an outbound position. There’s usually no more than 15 people altogether working in this entire office at one time. We’ve had a decent amount of turnover in OB lately from what I understand is mostly due to the ever-changing policies and payment structures (pay keeps getting cut).
I’ve known Beth since first grade and she is an artist type (not like me at all). Very hard working, but flighty and it seems every week has a new idea of what she wants to do with her life (I’m going to build my own sustainable house/I’m going to be a yoga instructor/I’m going to be a doula). She has been in a sales position before working for her mom’s business, and has spent the last few years in and out of school working on her degree while working a couple jobs caring for delayed adults in a facilities. She got very little pay for a whole lot of stress and she quit the last two because it was becoming too much, which I totally get. She’s struggling now without a job and it’s been about a month or so since she’s been out of work. She recently asked me if my place is hiring. I sent her the link we keep up on Indeed for outbound positions and I told her I wanted to talk to her about what the job really is before applying. I was a little apprehensive about her putting my name down when asked just because I’ve never actually seen her in a working environment. She’s mentioned calling in for being hungover/still drunks a couple times, and I don’t want to just hold that against her since I doubt it’s a habit, but I guess I’m just worried for myself since I don’t know firsthand how she is with jobs, I only hear about her experiences from her. Usually in her lines of work it’s about how she takes on everything while everyone around her is super lazy and skates by on not even the bare minimum while she pulls everything along herself. I’m not completely doubting that’s the case, but I’ve never seen it myself, so it’s hard to judge, but she does have a great work ethic.
She told me over the weekend that she did apply and lied on the question about having a degree, just so the application would get through at all. This made me nervous, but she said she was going to be honest about not having one from there, just wanted her resume to be seen since we normally require a bachelor’s. It makes sense, but it made me uneasy. She said she didn’t remember if she put my name down, but she’s pretty sure she didn’t. I don’t know why this is bothering me so much because she probably would be a great worker, and we don’t even technically work in the same department. They also kind of expect turnover anyways, so I think it would be a good fit for her.
I’m pretty sure my boss (Tom, 34, office manager) sees all applications, and my CEO picks out the ones he likes best. My boss is very involved in the hiring and is present at interviews and gives input for what he’s looking for, so it’s for the most part a joint decision between he and the CEO, but CEO has final verdict. My boss and I are pretty close, but I’m not sure if I should even bother bringing up since who knows if they’ll even bother with her application. I have told my boss stories about how crazy Beth’s life can be since we talk about our friends a lot and he has a lot of friends like her himself (hipsters/artists). Just last week I had mentioned offhand how she is seeing a forty-year-old with two kids, the oldest of which is 2 years younger than us and is meeting the moms soon. I never thought she would actually be applying to work here or have any crossover with my professional life.
tl;dr My best friend Beth is out of work and asked me if my company was hiring. I sent her an application, and she said she had a degree to get her application through online (she doesn’t) and might have put my name down but can’t remember. I’ve never seen her in a working environment before, but I’m sure she’s a good worker, but an artist type and can be flighty. I’m unsure if this could possibly blow up in my face or if I’m being nervous for no reason. Should I talk to Beth and/or my boss about this? Any insight is greatly appreciated!

I wonder if OP would get in trouble for Beth lying just because she used her as a reference? I assume not.