Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Serf posted:

great now i gotta go back to worrying about this poo poo again

It's a bluff, they're not passing poo poo, and if they did manage to crawl across the finish line the Senate sure as hell isn't passing poo poo.

Eveb Ed Balls knows this is going nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/normative/status/846727348435202048

he wants an NDA on every government employee

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

alnilam posted:

tesla on the other hand had an admittedly clever strategy of making theirs a fancy electric sports car so that really rich ppl would buy it despite the excessive price, but do not let that make you think that they have succeeded where the big car companies have failed - all BEVs still have the same basic problems of being really expensive, short in range (or even more expensive, as in the cas eof the tesla), and slow to charge

yeah its a marketing thing, but marketing is important when in a new market

every shithead who knows what a tesla is but couldn't name you any other electric cars wouldn't be full spectrum aware on electric cars sans tesla, they'd just not know any

and knowing is half the battle

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/ap/status/846728862973247488

Serf
May 5, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's a bluff, they're not passing poo poo, and if they did manage to crawl across the finish line the Senate sure as hell isn't passing poo poo.

Eveb Ed Balls knows this is going nowhere.

not buying what you're selling, sorry

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Prius was way beaten to market by the Honda Insight.

And Chevy had hybrid technology in buses before either of them. Which was actually a better use of the tech anyway.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The first hybrid Prius was talked about a lot because it looked dumb tbh

Honda made a mistake by trying to make their hybrid look like a normal car you'd want to drive

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Serf posted:

i would like to live in whatever better universe you are posting from

You do! Maniacal positivity is within your reach.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

When they said don't attribute to evil what can be more easily credited to incompetence, Trump took it to heart and retooled his business plan.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Just lmao if you're still getting haircuts and shaving like a decent human being

Nothing matters, why groom yourself?

Because I don't want to be that teacher who comes back from lunch with bits of jimmy johns in my greasy, unkempt beard.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Epic High Five posted:

Honda made a mistake by trying to make their hybrid look like a normal car you'd want to drive

Still driving my civic hybrid. It's a fine car, this fine car, this fine crew.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Relevant Tangent posted:

cities aren't going to ban internal combustion engines. that's madness, there are poor people who drive in cities too and we've all got non-electric vehicles or just vehicles for short, as the vast majority of people who own a vehicle own one that uses combustion.

and that's why r&d is critical, you want people to buy your electric $6000 shitbox, so they sell it to poor people for $200 3 years down the line

you can't do that if batteries cost you $15k, obviously.

it's not going to happen overnight, obviously, but it is going to happen.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

He has a point, we already know he's an incompetent idiot.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

You do! Maniacal positivity is within your reach.

im not sure i can reach your level of delusion. gonna stick to being a realist

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

gregday posted:

he wants an NDA on every government employee

Didn't he actually give like, every current WH employee one? I feel like he's famous for them in his private businesses so he can "get away" with real heinous poo poo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/846730243155087360

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

Marketing to consumers is tough. A Tesla looks like a normal car also until you get up close and see all the badging. I guess the branding plays a big deal because when you think of a Honda hybrid you think of a aging hippie. When you think of a Tesla you think of a cool dude.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thrawn527 posted:

Until Ted Kennedy died in August (and he was sick before that). And part of that super majority were noted non-Democrats like Joe Lieberman. So whatever they passed had to be somewhat moderate to take advantage of the super majority.

By the time they actually got around to doing anything (after the stimulus), Ted Kennedy had died, Scott Brown had taken his seat because Martha "I am the worst" Coakley was the worst, and they had lost their "super majority."

1. remove filibuster
2. add line to bill that strips joe libermans of us citizenship
3. pass bill with 51 votes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Still driving my civic hybrid. It's a fine car, this fine car, this fine crew.

I only buy products Made In America (when such a thing exists, at least, or at least 'most of the wealth creating work done in America') so when my old Pontiac died I got a Ford Focus and so far I've quite liked it.

Wish I could've afforded a hybrid tho :(

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Why has no one thought of this yet?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

I only buy products Made In America (when such a thing exists, at least, or at least 'most of the wealth creating work done in America') so when my old Pontiac died I got a Ford Focus and so far I've quite liked it.

Wish I could've afforded a hybrid tho :(

The focus is made in Mexico

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Jose posted:

aren't toyota like way ahead of everyone when it comes to electric car technology?

they're up there, all the big japanese car makers are klling it on all kinds of EV tech actually and their government is pushing real hard for it too

GM has a way better FCEV program than people realize but afaik are lagging a bit on BEV

basically american automakers are going to be majorly left behind if the US government pulls back its support for EV research, which despite what musk fanboys say, is still alive and well in universities, national labs, and big automakers

Vladimir Putin posted:

Marketing does count though because a car is an expensive consumer product. Nobody wants to spend a lot of money on a product that they don't like or think makes them look stupid.

yeah but distinguishing marketing from actual technological progress is important and is exactly what people are failing to do with tesla (though again, they have made some good progress, just not as ~~transformative~~ as ppl say)

Citizen Tayne posted:

right, but who remembers the honda insight?
the funny-looking design of the prius was deliberate and a smart move by toyota, they realized that people who will pay extra for a hybrid want to show off their green-ness

in a way tho it backfired, you wouldn't believe how often i hear people ask "why won't they just make a normal-looking hybrid car, the prius looks dumb!!" and are surprised when i tell them that there have been "normal-looking" hybrids since before the prius even came out you just never noticed them because they didn't look weird

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Citizen Tayne posted:

Also doesn't exist

We should probably try to understand what consciousness is before we discuss making electronic copies of it.

I'm with you, but just in case someone does kill themselves and try to pretend a program is a person I want laws clearly established dealing with the fact that gently caress that Biological People only.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

JEBS JEBS JEBS

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

maybe model it after the much better polling PPACA

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

yeah but it was ugly as poo poo with those hosed up wheel well covers

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

isn't this literally trumpcare, the thing that failed a few days ago?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

Marketing to consumers is tough. A Tesla looks like a normal car also until you get up close and see all the badging. I guess the branding plays a big deal because when you think of a Honda hybrid you think of a aging hippie. When you think of a Tesla you think of a cool dude.

That's because it's a status symbol

Show this to most of the consumer market and they'll suddenly be interest in a hybrid instead:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

this but keep the prexisting conditions, make the tax credits a prebate paid directly to the insurance company, and require a minimum standard of care.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So can Nunes just literally do nothing? Can he just indefinitely scrap meetings of the intel committee without reason and without recusing himself?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Truga posted:

isn't this literally trumpcare, the thing that failed a few days ago?

its literally what obamacare is

Serf
May 5, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Show this to most of the consumer market and they'll suddenly be interest in a hybrid instead:

lmao they just bolted an ipad into the dashboard

this is a crime against humanity

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Epic High Five posted:

surely this is a photoshop

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

They were made in the US in 2014, at least most of them were and mine was one of them.

Probably not anymore, I'll grant you, but if I could afford a newer car I would've bought a 2017 made in the USA I promise

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Mind body duality is a lie

So is free will, but since believing that depresses your reaction speed I choose not to.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

My uncle drove me from the St. Louis area to Chicago in his Tesla for my wife and I's honeymoon (I hate flying so it was Chicago->Vienna instead of St. Louis -> DC -> Munich -> Graz)

Anyway he kept showing off his stupid center console tablet while driving. He also said "it warns you if you stray out of the lane, but I disabled that because it was annoying".

Also we had to recharge in Bloomington for 45 minutes and we went to some cute knickknack shop.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah but the question is how you make something a status symbol. I'm sure Honda wants its hybrids to be a status symbol also.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jose posted:

surely this is a photoshop

:wrong:

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Joementum posted:

"The first rule of holes is when you're in one, stop digging. When you're in three, bring a lot of shovels." ~ House Republicans

Trying to decide whether this is house republicans trying to rebuild their (lol) good name and repair the relationship with Trump, or whether they're just spooked by the idea that their time's running out and may be really running out depending on the current smoke:fire ratio, and so they're rushing to ram something through.

Can't see them producing anything but a square peg anyway, which would then have to somehow pass through Mitch McConnell's round hole.

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

#notallfocuses

no the plural is not foci

• Locked thread