Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
A little late to the... well anyway, I just wanted to say that I'm just shy of 40, do nothing but work and watch kids 90+ hours per week, and I still, and always have, find loud parties to be the single most fun thing I can do. Well, that and post on SA. Quit knocking parties."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

But if you don't knock at parties how do you get in?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Milotic posted:

My wife [26F] told me [28M] she was pregnant as an April Fool's "joke". We're fighting because she got mad at my reaction.

It was just a prank zygote bro.

This is such a stupid prank, even worse when people do it on Facebook.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think the general consensus even in the CineD horror thread was that it's jerk fodder for psychos and not at all an enjoyable movie so...

That's good to hear, I used to frequent the thread more consistently but haven't in a long time. It's probably the one film my best friend and fellow horror fan disagree on most

Pick posted:

Yeah but she's 24. When you're 24 you're still supposed to be a dumbass, and wishing she were a Stepford wife is a dark vision of what he thinks growing up is for a woman

That's what I'm saying, he's loving dumb as hell. She should be having fun and doing what she's doing, sounds like she's well liked

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

This is such a stupid prank, even worse when people do it on Facebook.

That's good to hear, I used to frequent the thread more consistently but haven't in a long time. It's probably the one film my best friend and fellow horror fan disagree on most

That's what I'm saying, he's loving dumb as hell. She should be having fun and doing what she's doing, sounds like she's well liked

You have that fukken bab yet? Jesus, lady, really milking that pregnancy!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

reddit posted:

r/relationshipsNon-Romantic

My [19F] friend [20M] thought it was "funny" to tamper with my birth control for a future prank!

u/CardioKitty

I take birth control for several reasons: protection and to regulate my periods. I'm very strict with taking the pill on time as I set an alarm and have never missed a dosage.

When I was picking up Chinese Take-out for our group, my friend decided to tamper with my birth control. I have them hidden in the bathroom mirror cabinet.

He took a few pills and changed the date sticker thing. Of course I noticed because I'm not an idiot.

When I confronted him, he laughed it off. He said that I "wasn't suppose to find out yet". I don't know what his prank was going to be, but when I asked for my pills back, he couldn't produce them.

My friends, who hadn't left yet, told me I was overreacting and that a few missing pills won't "do much". Am I overreacting?

TL;DR: Friend takes BC pills for future prank. I notice and confront him. Friends think I'm overreacting.

UPDATE 1:

I called him to try and arrange a time to talk about what he did. He wanted to get this talk over and done with so we conversed on the phone.

He explained that the "prank" wasn't for me, but his roommate [21M]. He was going to add birth control to his roommate's protein shake. He thought the BC pills would make his roommate grow boobs or become "emotional". I don't even know.

I told him we HAVE to speak in person and he agreed to tomorrow.

quote:

tragiquexcomedy

1y

THAT BABY OF YOURS IS THE FUNNIEST poo poo I'VE EVER DONE.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 7, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I totally do, but she's outclassing him socially, financially, and also sounds like her self confidence is way higher. She's only 24.

This is what happens when you have a mix of casual gamers and min-maxers at the table. Obviously, this young lady has made careful class, feat and skill selections and has taken an early prestige level in Down-rear end Chick. Her partner is a single class fighter with nothing but ranks in ride and handle animal and feats like toughness, and he's upset that his counterpart is hogging the spotlight and upstaging him at every turn.

Tale as old as tiiiiiime~

The real fault here lies squarely on the shoulders of the GM. They need to make sure sure there are horse-based social encounters at least once per session, and that the fighter gets to sword things.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

apparently there are some contexts even goons can't crowbar their dork-rear end dungeons and dragons "jokes" into

My husband (21M) and I (23F) are being harassed after leaving our church

quote:

So several months ago my husband and I opened up the conversation of leaving our church. I had attended for many years before marriage and he started coming as soon as he was able to before marriage as well. We have been married 3 years and had attended through that time. We made the thought our decision that our lifestyle and beliefs didn't match those of our Pentecostal church, and left quietly.

Shortly after leaving we got 3 random visits from members that were unannounced asking us to return along with some texts and calls. We were honest and explained that we won't be returning. For about 2 months we would get a text or two each every week with sentiments like "Praying for you", "Miss you at church", etc. We basically ignored them.

We could handle that easily but this weekend, between my husband and myself, we were contacted by at least 25 members through text, phone calls, and Facebook. Some people were given our number without our permission and some we don't even really know who they are. That's saying something because it's a very small church of less than 75 regular members, including children.

The week before I was "trapped" by a ministers wife (not within the church we left) while running errands. Even after saying 3 or 4 times that I was done with my business and HAD to leave she pushed the conversation and told me I had to find a church because my "baby needs Jesus"- and yes that is a direct quote. My child isn't even 2 years old. Eventually she hugged me and I left immediately.

Today while talking to my mother I found out that people in other churches are "concerned" about us and our relationship with God, and have stopped to talk to her about it. My mother is not a church goer and in fact is probably the farthest you can get without being a total heathen.

During the discussion with my mother I told her about members contacting us and being cornered while running errands. She took it upon herself to make a call to the pastors wife and find out what the deal was. Evidently we were the subject of Sunday's sermon and that is probably what instigated the influx of calls and messages over the course of a few hours.

I'm absolutely livid and I feel that our right to our privacy has been trampled on. I feel like the deeply personal decision to leave has been spat on and questioned by people who have no business asking questions. My husband is upset as well but feels that if it happens again, that's when we have a conversation with a church leader asking it to stop.

I feel totally opposite. We have had random visits at 7 at night, our number given out, my mother has been questioned about our leaving, and we are getting messages every week. We have gone 4 months now without being left alone- even after being forthcoming and honest about our decision to leave completely.

I honestly don't know how to handle this situation because it feels like it keeps getting more and more out of hand.

nobody leaves

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

I found a gem but the iOS Reddit app doesn't seem want to let me copy/paste the text

(Or maybe I am dumb 🙃)

Not linking since I'm unclear if that falls afoul of the invasion rule

I haven't poked at it very hard, but I haven't found out how to copy/paste in the iOS app either. It's why I don't post stories. :effort:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ah yes, the church of Christ the Harrasser

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

all the redditors' solutions revolve around calling the police, I don't think any of them have the faintest clue what the deep South is like

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Gluten Freeman posted:

Jump the back fence, doofus.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

apparently there are some contexts even goons can't crowbar their dork-rear end dungeons and dragons "jokes" into

That's merely the fault of an inadequate author.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Batterypowered7 posted:

You have that fukken bab yet? Jesus, lady, really milking that pregnancy!

I wish, due date is today :toot: so hopefully baby gets the memo and gets born sometime very soon

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My husband (21M) and I (23F) are being harassed after leaving our church

nobody leaves

It's what Jesus would have wanted

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Pick eat the green pepper, this is a lawyer

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it isn't spicy

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I wish, due date is today :toot: so hopefully baby gets the memo and gets born sometime very soon

Remember, nothing better than freshly-squeezed baby pictures. Take lots, post more.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I can't even believe Pick of all people is this misinformed about vegetables. Try studying something other than body-horror bugs once in a while, you might learn new things, like the fact that green peppers aren't even spicy. If anything, green peppers can get kinda bitter at times, so I would think they'd be Pick's buddies.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Gluten Freeman posted:

I was at a party once hanging out on the back porch and some frazzled looking dude came up from the side gate with half a bottle of liquor and told us about how he went to the wrong house and someone pulled a gun on him and yelled at him about their lawn or some poo poo. he was freaked so we told him to go inside and chill and he left us his bottle. after he left one of the girls there remarked that the bottle was one that she had brought earlier and the amount missing matched when they last saw it inside. I didn't see that guy again

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Bell peppers are hollow because much like myslef, theya're dead inside

edit: my favoriet party trick is to bring a bottle of everclear that i have fill ed with water. do shots with only drunk people, its the funniest thing. normally people are like "ha ha they got hella drunk" when u slip someone illegal everclear. but secret water? hydration. fresh taste. everyone loves water slippage.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I don't like Bell peppers because of their specific lack of spice. I don't eat what don't got heat :cool:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Pick is my girlfriend please don't be mean to her re: green peppers

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pick you know green peppers aren't jalapenos right

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Bell peppers are hollow because much like myslef, theya're dead inside

If I eat bell peppers, I'll be dead inside. I'm allergic :(

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Was green pepper guy your decade long loveless non relationship, Pick?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Goons, I bring you the lamest man in existence:

Me [20M] with my girlfriend [19F] of nine months. I try to be polite and nice to people, but my girlfriend hates it.

quote:

I try really hard to be kind and helpful to people, but my girlfriend Cindy tells me a lot that I'm being a doormat. I try to be considerate and not cause problems. Like I don't mind if people go ahead of me in lines, because I'm usually not in a big hurry and it's not a big deal to me. But Cindy often gets mad and says that she's tired of standing around and that we deserve to take our turn. I just don't think there's any harm in waiting a bit to maybe help someone else.

I'm writing now because we got in a fight when we took a trip to the city last week. We were going to try to get free tickets for a concert we really wanted to see. We had to get on a bus for awhile, and it filled up while we were on. A couple got on and stood near us, and I thought they might want to sit down. I got up and the woman sat down, but Cindy didn't get up. I tried to lightly tug on her arm, but she pulled away. When we got off, we argued, and she said her feet were tired, she had wanted to sit down and rest. We hadn't been walking that much though, and I think it wouldn't have been a big deal for her to stand, so the couple could sit together. So she was mad at me for that.

We had tried to get to the concert early, but there were already a lot of people there when we arrived. When they started letting people inside the building, I held the door open for the people behind me. A bunch of people started heading in, and I got stuck outside holding the door. Cindy tried to get me to go inside to get in line, but people kept coming in through the door, so I couldn't get in. Cindy got mad and told me she was tired of waiting for me, and went ahead. I eventually was able to get inside, but Cindy was able to get into the concert, and I wasn't. I was disappointed, especially since Cindy went into the concert without me, telling me to go see a museum or something while she was gone, instead of coming with me and spending time together, like we were supposed to. I think Cindy would have just let the door slam on somebody and pushed her way into the line, but I didn't want to do that.

How can I fix this? Do you think we are just incompatible with different values?

tl;dr: Girlfriend says I'm being a doormat when I do nice things for people.

This guy's parents did a loving number on him.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
That woman would have a brain aneurism if she went moved to Canada

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fbsw posted:

i've seen angel's melancholy which is on a similar level as serbian film (which i haven't seen, but know what happens)

i've seen mad men, it also has rape and people cutting their nips off but tbh it's a pretty sexy show

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Goons, I bring you the lamest man in existence:
Me [20M] with my girlfriend [19F] of nine months. I try to be polite and nice to people, but my girlfriend hates it.
This guy's parents did a loving number on him.

I assume this dude wears bristlebrush clothing that says welcome on it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that dude is what is known as a "mark"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oh hi Mark

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Giving your seat up on the bus when you don't mind standing is a nice thing to do. Comedically standing in front of a door while people walk past you as if no one would know what to do if you let go is insane.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Giving your seat up on the bus when you don't mind standing is a nice thing to do

Agreed, but tugging petulantly on your girlfriend's arm to try to get her to stand up even when the other couple hasn't asked her to is nuts.

quote:

Comedically standing in front of a door while people walk past you as if no one would know what to do if you let go is insane.

I love that it resulted in him missing the concert and his girlfriend going without him. What a dweeb. I really want to see some comments on that one.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

WampaLord posted:

This man is an idiot and Cindy is right not to put up with his passive bullshit.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
thinking that you and your girlfriend, a couple, has to stand up so another couple can sit down and be together is also insane.

like unless they are old or something then sure give them the seat but from that story it sounded like they were the same age more or less

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

I love that it resulted in him missing the concert and his girlfriend going without him. What a dweeb. I really want to see some comments on that one.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

top comment posted:

If you wanted to spend time with your girlfriend like you were supposed to do, and the concert was as packed as you said it was, why would you hold the door open? There's being nice, and then there's being just dumb(for lack of a better word). Everyone was there to rush and try to get in as fast as they could. You talk about how you see no point in rushing and you like to take your time, then why did you even bother going and trying to get in at the rush?
It's nice to let someone take your seat who looks like they may be tired, or they're pregnant, ill, or something else. Some reason they would need the seat more than you. But you tried to get your girlfriend to stand up with you to let another couple sit down. That doesn't make sense to me.
I think it's fine for you to be like that when you're by yourself, but it's unfair of you to hold up your girlfriend when there's no need for it

The OP posted:

I didn't mean to hold the door for so many people, but people kept coming, and it got out of control, and I didn't want to let the door hit someone and have to push and shove my way into the line. I know I made a mistake in holding the door in the first place, but I was upset that Cindy went without me.

another commenter posted:

So what, she was supposed to let your stupidity ruin her night?
You clearly have no idea when it's polite to do something nice for others, and when you're just being taken advantage of. It sounds like Cindy does, and she's sick of it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

food court bailiff posted:

I really want to see some comments on that one.

they're exactly the same as the ones ITT except he's in the mix whiiiiiniiiiing

quote:

I didn't mean to hold the door for so many people, but people kept coming, and it got out of control, and I didn't want to let the door hit someone and have to push and shove my way into the line. I know I made a mistake in holding the door in the first place, but I was upset that Cindy went without me.

It's just that the main point of the trip was to spend time together. I never would have left Cindy behind and gone to the concert alone if I got in and she didn't.

It isn't a logic problem, the crowd wouldn't let me into the line and nobody took the door from me. I would have had to let the door slam on someone and push and shove my way in, and it would have been rude. I wished someone had taken the door from me and let me in.

little did we know this man is the Keymaster, the only man on earth capable of operating a door

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!
Another commenter further down had a good one too:

quote:

There's a guy I know who sounds a lot like you. He's always holding doors for people, always offering up his seat, always deferring to everyone else, always letting everyone else walk in front of him, always offering you his jacket if it's cold. He'll never take the last biscuit, he'll never let you walk home alone, he'll never disagree with you.

Here's the thing: everyone I know is loving sick of him. 80% of the time his politeness is just inconvenient. He'll insist on walking you home even if you tell him you're fine to go alone. He'll insist on letting you order before him even if you haven't figured out what you want yet, and could actually use the extra time to figure it out. He'll stand around shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot while you have a seat, and it's bloody uncomfortable to know that he's always ~sacrificing~ his comfort for your own. He'll offer you his jacket and stand there clearly freezing in just a T shirt, which makes you feel like poo poo. The other day, he sprang up at the end of a meeting to hold the door open for everyone, and in doing so pulled his chair out in front of me, blocking my access to the door; it took longer and was more inconvenient for me to leave the room than it would have been otherwise.

The thing with this kind of politeness is that it's performative. It's showboating. You're not actually helping people that much by holding the door open for them. It's a small curtesy, but it's not like people can't handle holding a door open for themselves. You're being very overdramatic when you say that the door would slam on somebody if you hadn't been holding it – no, somebody would have grabbed it and held it open for themselves as they went through.

This politeness isn't helpful. It's the kind of politeness that makes you feel like a hero and martyr for performing really small self-sacrificial deeds, but at best mildly helps other people, at worst makes them feel guilty/actively inconveniences them. Rethink the motive behind your 'politeness'.

I've had to deal with similar people before and they're loving insufferable. Except perhaps for the look of wounded surprise when you get sick of their bullshit and yell at them.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The worst are people who hold a door open for you when you're still like 25 feet away, so you feel obligated to run or hurry up to the door. Do they really think holding a door open is some grand gesture? gently caress them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wonder how he'll react when his girlfriend meets someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wonder how he'll react when his girlfriend meets someone else.
He will open her legs for him.