Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

PriorMarcus posted:

By recut you mean did an extremely lovely job of just dropping the cartoon theme over the top?

Yeah I agree, sorry Scyantific. You usually post good stuff but that video sucks.

I watched the new Teen Titans movie. Admittedly it was kind of late and I was fading in and out, but it wasn't great. Very predictable, just feels like an extended episode of Young Justice with a different cast, which can be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. I personally found Beast Boy to be particularly insufferable this time around. I couldn't help but wonder, how old is Beast Boy? I can't seem to find anything on Google about it, except that most people agree that he's the youngest. But if he can change shape, maybe he's just pretending to be young :tinfoil:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Slugworth posted:

That is not how pig based divination works at all. You just let Hen Wen root around through the letter sticks.

not an emptyquote, I just don't want this gem to get lost

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

UmOk posted:

Supergirl is so weird and awesome

I vaguely remember Faye Dunaway summoning a terrifying invisible monster that Supergirl never fights, c/d?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Grendels Dad posted:

My memory is a little fuzzy but I'm pretty sure Supergirl neither sets foot nor flies through New York in that movie, so that's two things wrong with the poster.

Well, we're also waiting for her first great adventure. At least the names are right?

Also, yes, they somehow got a statue of liberty that's holding the torch in the wrong hand. I'm also pretty sure that New York City is on the wrong side of her. Plus there's no text on her tablet.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 8, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Superhero films became popular again because of Blade.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Superhero films became popular again because of Darkman.
A daring opinion but I agree

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

A daring opinion but I agree

Darkman rode the wave after Batman '89. Blade picked up the ball after Batman and Robin's failure.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Superhero films became popular again because of Blade.

Batman Begins is actually just a direct sequel to Darkman. He'd become such a master of disguise, he founded the League of Shadows.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Batman murdered Darkman? I refuse to believe that's possible

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Batman murdered Darkman? I refuse to believe that's possible

No, don't you remember? Batman didn't kill him, he just didn't have to save him. :v:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

No, don't you remember? Batman didn't kill him, he just didn't have to save him. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0C-DVnPeVM

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Arnold, sporting one of the best looks of the 80s, a child in his mom's power blouse.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JTEyWY9lUc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wowzers....

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The inspiration was there but the audiences had different ideas. Reeve's Superman had a Supergirl spinoff movie (with hopes of more to follow) and there was a planned Robin/Nightwing spinoff from the Shumacher Batman films which got canned when Batman and Robin fizzled. There were plans to keep those franchises going for as long as possible but they hosed them up.

This poster for Supergirl was rather naively optimistic:

"Her first great adventure!"

Faye Dunaway. Peter O'Toole. Mia Farrow. Peter Cook. What. The. gently caress.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sentinel Red posted:

Faye Dunaway. Peter O'Toole. Mia Farrow. Peter Cook. What. The. gently caress.

They offered Dudley Moore several million dollars for the role but he said no and suggested they ask Peter Cook. This was just after Moore had starred in 10 and Arthur so they clearly weren't shy about approaching the big stars, I guess they were sure they had a winner on their hands.

Edit: the producers tried to lock in Superman 3 director Richard Lester (ie: the guy they brought in to replace Richard Donner after they booted him) but he declined. Christopher Reeve was also supposed to appear in the film but he also pulled out. In the end the only cast member from the Superman films who appeared was Marc McClure who played Jimmy Olsen.

In the end WB were so disappointed with the film they decided not to distribute at all which is when Tri-Star picked it up and released it.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 9, 2017

Wendell
May 11, 2003

drat, he whiffs so hard on that briefcase hit!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Timby posted:

No, no, no. That wasn't Darkman, that was a villain wearing one of Darkman's masks.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

This is a pro-click right here.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Davros1 posted:

No, no, no. That wasn't Darkman, that was a villain wearing one of Darkman's masks.

Darkman decided it was best to leave town so he went to New York to become a wrestling announcer, an usher and finally a maitre d'.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This was amazing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is the good stuff.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The one big oddity in the MCU that sticks out to me is the character arc of Peter Quill, Star-Lord. He starts out as a self-centred manchild living out the fantasy of being a space adventurer, gets mocked for his pretensions... and the universe arranges it so that he gets to be a real space hero without any change or real sacrifice on his part. It's framed as a vindication of his fantasy, and that he goes around with his childhood nickname as his superhero identity presented as a heart-warming development. It's really bizarre development, and it makes the generally adequate GotG interesting, if not in a good way.

GotG is about people who don't really live up to their own mythology finally proving to society that they are heroes and deserve respect.

Some of that is kind of weird, though, like Gamora being a damsel in distress who is roughly on par with Quill despite being the right hand of Thanos.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

GotG is about people who don't really live up to their own mythology finally proving to society that they are heroes and deserve respect.

That's just Quill, though, and even then he doesn't fit. He is actually a fairly competent space adventurer, he just wants to be admired and respected on top of that.

Also why would they be trying to prove themselves to Xandar when they have no connection to the whole place? Besides Xandar being just a vaguely "good" place.

Hodgepodge posted:

Some of that is kind of weird, though, like Gamora being a damsel in distress who is roughly on par with Quill despite being the right hand of Thanos.

Gamora must be the worst-written character in the MCU, if only because they relegated a story about an alien cyborg-assassin betraying their adoptive space warlord father completely into exposition.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My only real memory of Supergirl is that Faye Dunaway was my first introduction to the concept that women could be "rapey" too.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's just Quill, though, and even then he doesn't fit. He is actually a fairly competent space adventurer, he just wants to be admired and respected on top of that.

Also why would they be trying to prove themselves to Xandar when they have no connection to the whole place? Besides Xandar being just a vaguely "good" place.

Gamora must be the worst-written character in the MCU, if only because they relegated a story about an alien cyborg-assassin betraying their adoptive space warlord father completely into exposition.

Nah, there's also Drax getting his rear end handed to him in under ten seconds by Ronan, and Gamora, who we've covered. The CGI characters are outside this dynamic; Rocket Racoon represents actual suffering from lack of privilege, while Groot is Jesus. Both are free to actually kick rear end and take names as they please.

You might be right about Quill, in that I read the film as being a space opera which Quill subverts into a comedy due to his own insecurities, which ends up being a successful strategy against Ronan's bluster. So Drax and Gamora can't live up to their self-image not because they lack the ability, but because Quill is too self-conscious to live up to his own.

Xandar is prettymuch purely a symbol of mainstream American society.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The female superhero/comic movies were: Sheena 1984, Supergirl 1984, Tank Girl 1995, Barb Wire 1996, Catwoman 2004 and Elektra 2005.
Red Sonja 1985

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LegoMan posted:

Red Sonja 1985

Cherry 2000, whenever that was.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cherry 2000, whenever that was.

Cherry 2000 is a wonderful fever dream of a movie and I'm happy someone else has heard of it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
No love for Barbarella?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

Nah, there's also Drax getting his rear end handed to him in under ten seconds by Ronan, and Gamora, who we've covered.

Drax and Gamora aren't trying to live up to any self-image or mythology, they care about their very clear missions. Drax just fails because he's not strong to take on Ronan alone (linsert lesson about friendship).

e: Also Quill's self-mythologizing doesn't really make sense with his backstory, you'd think he'd get his inner manchild kicked out of him after five minutes with the Ravagers.

Hodgepodge posted:

Xandar is prettymuch purely a symbol of mainstream American society.

The fact that the Guardians need the approval of "mainstream American society" despite being rough space-faring outlaws would make them about the lamest superheroes/anti-heroes on screen.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 10, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

Nah, there's also Drax getting his rear end handed to him in under ten seconds by Ronan, and Gamora, who we've covered. The CGI characters are outside this dynamic; Rocket Racoon represents actual suffering from lack of privilege, while Groot is Jesus. Both are free to actually kick rear end and take names as they please.

What I recall about Groot is that he's goddamn terrifying. At one point he impales like 20 soldiers and they make funny quips about it, but it's ok because they're just nazi stooges following orders from the bad guy. Just like it's ok that the guards at that prison die because even the guards are terrible there so it's no big loss if they where to die during a prison break :rolleyes:

It was so hamfisted when the racoon goes "Oh everyone in this prison is an rear end in a top hat, even the guards!" because you know they're just priming the audience not to care about their inevitable death. If they're in prison, they must be subhuman scum, so no need to care about them at all!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McCloud posted:

What I recall about Groot is that he's goddamn terrifying. At one point he impales like 20 soldiers and they make funny quips about it, but it's ok because they're just nazi stooges following orders from the bad guy.

Yeah it was supposed to be horrifying, that was the joke. He brutally murders the gently caress out them (and it takes WAY longer than it needed to) and then turns around and has this big goofy smile like a dog that just performed a trick and was looking for approval:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5nZvcoNVzk

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McCloud posted:

Just like it's ok that the guards at that prison die because even the guards are terrible there so it's no big loss if they where to die during a prison break :rolleyes:

This isn't what happens.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The line about Nova Corps being generally nice but just the guards being corrupt is more of a clumsy explanation of why they choose to defend Xandar. None of them having any connection to Xandar already makes the final battle rather weak, but if Xandar was their enemy it would be non-sensical.

Of course it still doesn't work, because the only indications that the guards are corrupt are 1) that Rocket says so and 2) one of them uses a prisoner's personal belongings. So Xandar simply lacks personality as a whole. Maybe I forgot something, but it seems like another part of GotG's exposition problem.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And, y'know, the guards turning a blind eye at and even conspiring with a bunch of prisoners openly conspiring to murder Gamora, but whatever, right?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Superhero films became popular again because of X-Men.

Fixed

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

And, y'know, the guards turning a blind eye at and even conspiring with a bunch of prisoners openly conspiring to murder Gamora, but whatever, right?

Yeah, that's exactly the thing i forgot but couldn't check. So in the end, Rocket's line about just the guards being corrupt remains a clumsy explanation for why the Guardians fight for Xandar. It's the "good" place, and the bad parts get destroyed offscreen.

Which is kind of a fumble, because the Guardians choosing to save a corrupt planet because it's still worth it would have been much more compelling, like in Man of Steel and BvS.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cue Faraci(or someone) tweet about how Rocket was more heroic than Superman because he saved a couple people on a bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The Guardians choose to save a planet that sneers and looks down on them, as personified by Peter Serafinowicz's Corpsman Saal. As far as Xandar is concerned, they're nothing but a-holes. Rocket's first scene is to show that the feeling is mutual. He, likewise, holds nothing but contempt for the people of Xandar, mocking and belittling its people. There's initially nothing but disdain between Xandar and the Guardians. In the end, Rocket and Saal are the ones spearheading Xandar's defence, not because Xandar is somehow inherently "good", but because it's worth saving, perfect or not. And the real embodiment of Xandar's flaws, its arrogance and judgementalism, Saal, dies onscreen, having been redeemed. Xandar being "corrupt" wouldn't have added to that at all.

And those "couple of people on a bridge" ended up being the happy fuscia family of Corpsman Dey, the one Xandarian who always (kinda, relatively) had faith in the Guardians. It's to show that his faith was rewarded. It also shows the Guardians having saved the happy families that they never got to be part of growing up.

• Locked thread