Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kanji also didn't have the follow up attack that instantly killed enemies and that game had follow ups trigger significantly more than P5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I've just got access to the doctor and the equipment shop. What should I be buying for the first palace? I only have 6k yen (+ 5k that the blonde dude gives me).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Captain Baal posted:

Same. I appreciated the game characterized Yusuke so him being socially awkward wasn't his core shtick. He's generally very wise and self-reflective and despite his serious nature, he comes off as one of the more compassionate members of the group especially as the game goes on

I like that social awkwardness is a recurring theme but not necessarily a defining characteristic

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

you better fuckin believe I picked Beep Boop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PirateBob posted:

I've just got access to the doctor and the equipment shop. What should I be buying for the first palace? I only have 6k yen (+ 5k that the blonde dude gives me).
just some healing items at this point, and the 5 sp drinks from all the vending machines

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sell your free DLC soma also

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yusuke totally wanted to see Ann nude and the game plays it straight so I'm not sure why people think he's gay. I seriously don't mind (or care that much) but when she's removing the layers and stuff he has a lot of internal "no I... I'm doing this for the art... I can't let myself get carried away!" lines as well as him getting flustered to high hell despite her awful acting.

I totally interpreted that as his being grossed out by being so near feminine undergarments, and having to psych himself back into his rationale for doing it. I didn't even think it was ambiguous.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

the protag can do good magic damage but none of the party members are really optimized for it for one reason or another

Sounds kinda like SMT4, then, where Flynn could be amazing at magic but you couldn't really do that with any demons, while there were plenty of good physical or gun demons.

PirateBob posted:

Don't worry too much about buying a lot at either yet. I'd say you probably never need to worry about melee weapons or guns--your weapon/gun has no effect on physical skills (like Ryuji's Lunge skill) and beyond the first Palace you're unlikely to be relying on physical attacks for damage anyway. I'd say focus on armor if you want to buy anything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I like Harus animation for swinging around her loving battleaxe. It's clearly kind of overlarge and unwieldly for her but she's way into axe murdering dudes so ya know whatever. You go girl. :unsmith:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Endorph posted:

just some healing items at this point, and the 5 sp drinks from all the vending machines

Which healing items!!! :o

+HP? Cure confusion or whatever?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Haru's follow up animation is great. Just leap through the air with that axe.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

epenthesis posted:

I totally interpreted that as his being grossed out by being so near feminine undergarments, and having to psych himself back into his rationale for doing it. I didn't even think it was ambiguous.

I didn't see it that way at all, op.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PirateBob posted:

The 50mg ones that restore 50 HP. That's all you really need right now. I don't think you're going to run into a lot of status effects for a while and by the time you do, Morgana and/or one of Joker's Personas will be able to heal some of them.

Check vending machines for SP-restoring items like Endorph said, too. They restock once per week and they're pretty cheap and nice to have for the first dungeon.

epenthesis posted:

I definitely saw it as him getting nervous as she removed more and more clothes. Whether that means he's straight or gay or bi or anything is super up to interpretation though.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 12, 2017

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Harrow posted:

The 50mg ones that restore 50 HP. That's all you really need right now. I don't think you're going to run into a lot of status effects for a while and by the time you do, Morgana and/or one of Joker's Personas will be able to heal some of them.

Check vending machines for SP-restoring items like Endorph said, too. They restock once per week and they're pretty cheap and nice to have for the first dungeon.

Thanks. I don't need the revival thing? Pretty expensive >___>

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

Haru's follow up animation is great. Just leap through the air with that axe.

Where's my fanart of Axe Crazy Haru seriously

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Thanks. I don't need the revival thing? Pretty expensive >___>

Nah, don't worry about it yet. You'll grab a couple of revival items as you go. If someone goes down in battle, they'll be revived with 1 HP at the end, so you only need revive items for in-battle revives.

One note: if you're unfamiliar with Persona games, remember that if Joker goes down, it's game over, no matter what. He's the most important one to keep alive. Even if everyone else is at full HP and you have like ten revive items in your inventory, Joker hitting 0 HP is game over.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I don't think anything in a recent game has made me laugh as much as (Yusuke s-link spoiler)The "Jesus" pose

Near the end of the game, going to really miss this crew :(

Also (MASSIVE endgame spoilers)I love how this game kind of trolls previous Persona players, with the voice of Igor purposely being different, and Akechi almost identical in name to Adachi

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 12, 2017

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Motto posted:

Sell your free DLC soma also

My what? Free DLC? Bought the game digitally but didn't get no DLC >___>

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Captain Oblivious posted:

Where's my fanart of Axe Crazy Haru seriously

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PirateBob posted:

+HP? Cure confusion or whatever?
+HP, yeah. status restore items are kinda pointless because morgana has a spell that cures them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PirateBob posted:

My what? Free DLC? Bought the game digitally but didn't get no DLC >___>

just check the playstation store

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

:vince:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's a strong image

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Harrow posted:

Nah, don't worry about it yet. You'll grab a couple of revival items as you go. If someone goes down in battle, they'll be revived with 1 HP at the end, so you only need revive items for in-battle revives.

One note: if you're unfamiliar with Persona games, remember that if Joker goes down, it's game over, no matter what. He's the most important one to keep alive. Even if everyone else is at full HP and you have like ten revive items in your inventory, Joker hitting 0 HP is game over.

Alright. :dance: Yeah I played P3 and P4 years ago, just seem to have forgotten a lot of things, plus not sure what has changed in P5. Vending machine sodas for SP were always a must get in P4, definitely gonna look for those.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Endorph posted:

just check the playstation store

Okay. Why would I sell a soma? Doesn't that restore all SP?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

I put Haru as a third on my team instead on this playthrough and not only did she help murder the final boss stuff faster, she got me the loving 250 lines trophy

I got that trophy after being wiped by form 1 of the dungeon 7 treasure boss. That was sort of amusing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Yeah, but 50,000 yen is way more valuable, especially early on.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
When my party gets confused and does the thing where they "throw away" items do they actually go away permanently or just for that battle?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PirateBob posted:

50,000 yen is way, way more valuable than a one time SP restore. 50,000 yen is how much an accessory that basically gives a character infinite SP costs.

Scorps posted:

When my party gets confused and does the thing where they "throw away" items do they actually go away permanently or just for that battle?
gone forever.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Endorph posted:

list of good jokes in persona 4:

adachi's weird cabbage fetish
the concert in p4g where the guys jump off the stage and the crowd parts and yu lands cooly, yosuke twists his ankle, and kanji just faceplants
i thought there were 4 but i can only think of those two

list of bad jokes in persona 4:
yosuke pissing on a woman's grave
yosuke getting his mouth pissed in
all 53 of the jokes about girls being bad at cooking
all 68 of the fat jokes
all 76 of the jokes where the punchline is a girl is sexually uncomfortable
the entire 'drunk off the atmosphere' sequence (minus rise's drunk voice, which is hilarious)

When does Yosuke get pissed on or piss on anything? I know he got thrown into the river that Morooka was pissing in. (it was a slow moving river)

Oh I never played Golden though

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Morooka getting drunk was funny

Morooka was funny

Rip Morooka

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

When does Yosuke get pissed on or piss on anything? I know he got thrown into the river that Morooka was pissing in. (it was a slow moving river)

yosuke's piss gets more exploration and screentime than yukiko and chie's relationship

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey, (lategame post-palace 6 spoilers) if you gave Goro a good accessory, like say an SP Adhesive 3, it dumps it back into your inventory when he leaves the party. Presumably armor too, though I'm not sure because I ganked his suit for its Evade on Joker and gave him a generic thing I have several of.

Yet another instance of this game curiously avoiding doing mean SMT stuff.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Captain Baal posted:

Morooka getting drunk was funny

Morooka was funny

Rip Morooka

Morooka was unironically one of the nicest and most likable dudes in P4.

And then he gets iced by some lovely kid braining him with a CRT or whatever the gently caress Mitsuo did to """copycat""" throwing dudes into the TV realm.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Supremezero posted:

Merciless is just hard with nerfed exp and money gains.

Oh, well then, confusion exploit here I come...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I laughed for a solid minute over Futaba's mask, particularly when she gave that dude his coffee.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Endorph posted:

yosuke's piss gets more exploration and screentime than yukiko and chie's relationship

Persona 4 Golden (Shower)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Meme Emulator posted:

I guess Endorph was trying to say when Yosuke peed the first time they entered the TV World, it was on the first victim's grave? Which was metaphorical if anything.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
God drat it Mementos you can't toss all those creampuffs at me only for the boss to do a Mass Brainwash attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bogart posted:

I guess Endorph was trying to say when Yosuke peed the first time they entered the TV World, it was on the first victim's grave? Which was metaphorical if anything.

Oh I forgot that. Also that Yosukes piss ended up being important enough to find the end game dugneon.

I thought that was just the P4 villains obsession room and not really a grave though