Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

lifts cats over head posted:

Do you do that just by taking their weapons and dropping one of yours?

Yep. They get real mad and then grab the nearest weapon they see, so you can make them pick up whatever you want. It's most effective with Blizzard Rods and the full upgraded Rito set, as the AoE on Blizzard Rods is massive , so your new buddy's wild, uncoordinated swinging of his new toy will fairly quickly freeze everybody on the battlefield except for you. From there, you can use the weapon you stole to smash the frozen enemies for triple damage without worrying too much as they will fairly quickly get frozen again. Then, when the battlefield is littered with enemy remains and scattered weapons, you can use those to kill your Blizzard Buddy at little-to-no risk at all, and retrieve your unharmed Blizzard Rod, since weapons do not degrade when enemies are using them (drat Ganon magic! :argh:). Bam! You've basically killed an entire encampment at little-to-no cost to you.

Not sure why I spoilered my previous post. I guess it's just so much fun to discover these things for myself that I kind of want to let people do so if they so choose. But then, I guess if people really want to discover things on their own, they wouldn't be in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Spergatory posted:

little-to-no risk at all

You didn't mention the shield you'd be using, but I imagine a pot lid at this level of risk mitigation?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I interpret the shrines as links digital avatar being uploaded into a virtual reality which is treated as mystical by the shiekah. Link can do it because he's not "real", he's a constructed reality created by shiekah tech in the shrine of resurrection

I'm probably wrong. Who knows.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's really lame. I'm surprised that they went through all that trouble from stopping the 20 people that would actually be able to pull off doing such a stunt from doing it. I hate when bugs are patched that can never interfere with normal gameplay.

tbf you could probably very easily stick your game in an unwinnable state exploring off the plateau without a glider

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

The next Zelda game should have 1800 Koroks and you can't fight Ganon until you find all of them.

So like wind waker then?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

yamdankee posted:

You didn't mention the shield you'd be using, but I imagine a pot lid at this level of risk mitigation?

Whatever shield you want. Your real protection is upgraded armor that makes you element-proof. The enemy can still hurt you by hitting you with the actual physical rod, but it's so short and does so little damage that it barely matters.

Incidentally, element-proof armor makes fighting Wizzrobes really fun. They literally cannot harm you directly. But it's sure fun to watch them try!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

tbf you could probably very easily stick your game in an unwinnable state exploring off the plateau without a glider

How???

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

thatguy posted:

Where are the shrines located exactly? Like in relation to the map are they all really "underground" or when you get into the elevator are you teleported off somewhere to a group of them? I know people have already broken out of shrines so maybe if you could break into another shrine and take the elevator up you could basically teleport to an entirely different part of the map.

The shrines are all in their own separate maps I'm pretty sure

Eriic
Aug 9, 2009

Twisp, is this a truth? Do you do evil?

euphronius posted:

I interpret the shrines as links digital avatar being uploaded into a virtual reality which is treated as mystical by the shiekah. Link can do it because he's not "real", he's a constructed reality created by shiekah tech in the shrine of resurrection

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You take the Heart Container, you wake up with another heart, you take the Stamina Vessel, you keep on climbing, and I show you how tall Death Mountain is.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

Ah yes, the Star Ocean 4 3 treatment

jfc that was loving horrible and now the terrible memories are flooding back to me.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

euphronius posted:

Link has to pick up the shiekah slate to leave to resurrection chamber because that's his hard light projector.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Spergatory posted:

Whatever shield you want. Your real protection is upgraded armor that makes you element-proof. The enemy can still hurt you by hitting you with the actual physical rod, but it's so short and does so little damage that it barely matters.

Incidentally, element-proof armor makes fighting Wizzrobes really fun. They literally cannot harm you directly. But it's sure fun to watch them try!

lol I guess I was too subtle... ;)

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Do not try to bend the shroom — that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no shroom.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

All things considered, my bet is that it's in place because of someone falling through the world somewhere, getting voided out the the overworld without the parasail, and then voiding back into the overworld every time they tried to climb back up

there's no way a tutorial lock-in that comprehensive was implemented without some playtester ending up accidentally getting into a "you're absolutely hosed and if you don't an autosave far enough back you have to reset your save entirely" situation

If someone fell through the world then they should have just make the void out area under the land and have that reset you to the Great Plateau.

Augus posted:

I think a lot of things would be impossible to finish, but I'm 100% positive you could do the Castle and beat Ganon without it.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

If someone fell through the world then they should have just make the void out area under the land and have that reset you to the Great Plateau.

I think a lot of things would be impossible to finish, but I'm 100% positive you could do the Castle and beat Ganon without it.

Link paraglides in the cutscene leading up to phase 1. Not sure if the inventory is checked for that, but I'm kind of hoping it is and Link pratfalls into battle.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Like getting stuck at the top of a tall cliff or something? :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, since you can eat while climbing and you can make stamina restoring food, you can conceivably climb anywhere in the game just by taking your time and munching on some stamina meals. So you don't really NEED a paraglider to get anywhere specifically unless climbing is forbidden.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Like getting stuck at the top of a tall cliff or something? :shrug:

Can't get there if you can't get down

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kashuno posted:

Can't get there if you can't get down

What if you used all of your stamina potions to get up

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
i wonder if they did it just because there's so many random other things that assume you have it, like everything in the rito area

i'm just picturing you getting dropped into the target firing range in the rito area and it's like "3, 2, 1, GO" and you just fall out of the sky

Augus posted:

getting down tall cliffs sans paraglider is as easy as repeatedly letting go and holding towards the cliff to latch back on, which costs next to no stamina

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Are all the travellers who call out and smile and wave at you Yiga?

CallingYouARadical
Aug 6, 2008

Argue posted:

The biggest hint for me is that a majority of characters in BoTW will have their name hovering over their heads when you approach them. The Yiga travelers do not.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Augus posted:

Warp out

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Argue posted:

I spent a lot of time on my second playthrough not talking to impa, and when I went to talk to her for real I paraglided over the "what are you, clan Yiga?" trigger

so far I have had 0 yiga interactions and 0 travellers call out and wave

CallingYouARadical posted:

The biggest hint for me is that a majority of characters in BoTW will have their name hovering over their heads when you approach them. The Yiga travelers do not.

names only appear once you've talked to someone once

CallingYouARadical
Aug 6, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

names only appear once you've talked to someone once

Really?! Well now I feel like an rear end. :doh:

But I can at least say for sure that not all Yiga are smiling and waving. But all smilers and wavers I've met have been Yiga. So there's that.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

yamdankee posted:

lol I guess I was too subtle... ;)

The username should clue you in; I don't really do subtlety. :downs:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Lobster posted:

I just wandered into the heat endurance one by mistake. I don't even remember what I was doing. But suddenly Gorons were like, "BROTHER!" So today my friend Silver Falcon was doing a stream to cheer me up because I have this wicked cold and laryngitis AT THE SAME TIME and she does the Goron one where you climb the wall. I kept trying to indicate to her that there was a second Goron one that she could do, but since I could only rasp feebly and she can't read chat at the same time she streams it didn't work out. NEXT TIME!

the way you keep talking about this girl is really cute/sad, you should ask her out or whatever

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Today, I learned that Hinoxes can pluck TNT barrels out of the ground like turnips and throw them at you. :stare:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Frankly I think we need a four-page discussion on Link's spooky glow-in-the-dark skeleton Halloween costume. And that discussion should be: how do we mass produce these in time for October?

The Walrus posted:

the way you keep talking about this girl is really cute/sad, you should ask her out or whatever

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Spergatory posted:

Today, I learned that Hinoxes can pluck TNT barrels out of the ground like turnips and throw them at you. :stare:

The most important thing to know about Hinoxes is that if you can get them to hit a cucco twice, Cucco Storm 2017 begins.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 13, 2017

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

The Walrus posted:

Yes, this!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The thing that I learned about hinoxes is that if you fire bomb arrows at them with the triple arrow bow they die in like 10 seconds. You know, for those times you want hinox loot, but don't want to work for it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MokBa posted:

Frankly I think we need a four-page discussion on Link's spooky glow-in-the-dark skeleton Halloween costume. And that discussion should be: how do we mass produce these in time for October?

lol if you think any goons are gonna look good in the skintight outfits link wears in this game

Spergatory posted:

i had this great time with a combo moblin/fire pebblit camp where we just spent the entire time throwing pebblits at each other

the number of unique enemies may be comparatively low, but they did a really drat good job with the AI when there's still stuff that surprises you 100+ hours in

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
5 arrow bow is better

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, well I don't have that one yet

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, well I don't have that one yet

I only ever found 1 :[

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Fun fact: if you shoot a sleeping Hinox in the eye with a multi bow, the first arrow will "wake him up" and the other two will count as hitting his weak spot, making him instantly go into his stun animation, so he'll go from lying on the ground, to standing, to falling on his rear end clutching his eye in the span of about three frames.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I only ever found 1 :[

I wasn't aware such a thing existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wasn't aware such a thing existed.

White and Silver Lynels carry them. It's a random weapon bonus for their bows, and interestingly enough, it's randomized upon loading. You can save on a ledge above a Lynel, shoot him, let him shoot back, and see how many arrows leave his bow. If it's five, kill him and take the bow. If it's three, reload and provoke him again. Eventually, it'll be a fiver.