Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

it's kind of paradoxical but in my experience the more money the women i am dating earns the less money she expects me to throw at the relationship as some sort of proof of love/affection. I've been dating a prof for a couple years now and she is the absolute chilliest person I've dated when it comes to mutual finances.

??????????????? how the gently caress does that follow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Psycho Society posted:

where did the name pnurtis come from

quote:

quote:

My wife [30F] of 2 years and I [30M] can't agree on our child's name. What should I do? 

My son is due in 10 days. 

When we started looking at names, there were a few early contenders, names like Cale, Miles, Brooks, Bennet, etc. Pnurtis was mentioned early, but it was initially thrown out because I really didn't care for it much. She knows this–she's always known this. She seems to like the name because "....it's unique and it sounds hot". In my opinion, terrible, superficial reasons. I asked her to compromise and for awhile it looked like it was going to be either Brennan (my choice and what I thought was a great compromise) or Cale. 

Fast forward to now and she is again insistent we name our son Pnurtis, her reasons being that she is carrying the child and the final say goes to her. Total BS. I don't know what to do and am at a loss. I really don't want to fight anymore over this, but I'm finding it so hard to give in and name what could be our only kid a name that I just do not like at all. 

I really shouldn't be sounding off here, but I really need advice. Help me. 

TLDR: Our son is due in 10 days and my wife is insists we name our son Pnurtis despite me hating the name. She will not compromise. 

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Pick posted:

The post mentioned it was weird that he mentioned their income gap, in my own experience income gaps actually cause big problems in relationships and things are much more simple when you're dating someone on a similar level as you.

my implication here is the gap is actually p relevant because it was almost undoubtedly a direct contribution to the problem they were having with respect to cost of the ring.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

:haw: I would love it if she was just loving with him the whole time

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

The post mentioned it was weird that he mentioned their income gap, in my own experience income gaps actually cause big problems in relationships and things are much more simple when you're dating someone on a similar level as you.

my implication here is the gap is actually p relevant because it was almost undoubtedly a direct contribution to the problem they were having with respect to cost of the ring.

But professors make like, what, maybe $50,000 a year early in? Often less.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Pick posted:

Women who are making enough money on their own don't consider their relationship an economic investment.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 14, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Psycho Society posted:

:haw: I would love it if she was just loving with him the whole time

Maybe she is :D

The original name from reddit (the poster here changed it) was breckin.

Never go full pnurtis.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 14, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

But professors make like, what, maybe $50,000 a year early in? Often less.
idgi

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Patrick Spens posted:

Women who are making enough money on their own don't consider their relationship an economic investment.

You'd be absolutely loving stupid to not consider the economic ramifications of any marriage, male or female.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
like yeah my gf makes more than that and can easily afford a good sized house on her salary excluding my income but setting that aside I'm not sure i get your point cause 50k/yr would is like above the national household income and is obv way better than what a social worker making 3x less than their bf is pullin in.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

You'd be absolutely loving stupid to not consider the economic ramifications of any marriage, male or female.

You are totally missing the point of my post and his followup in the context of this discussion. Like I dunno if it's sailin above your head or you're willfully ignoring it but it's p obvious and he pretty much explicitly stated it for you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

like yeah my gf makes more than that and can easily afford a good sized house on her salary excluding my income but setting that aside I'm not sure i get your point cause 50k/yr would is like above the national household income and is obv way better than what a social worker making 3x less than their bf is pullin in.

$50k/yr is below the national household income and not nearly a good enough salary to ignore a partner's earnings.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

$50k/yr is below the national household income and not nearly a good enough salary to ignore a partner's earnings.

The U.S. Census Bureau reported in September 2014 that: U.S. real (inflation adjusted) median household income was $51,939 in 2013 versus $51,758 in 2012, statistically unchanged.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

The U.S. Census Bureau reported in September 2014 that: U.S. real (inflation adjusted) median household income was $51,939 in 2013 versus $51,758 in 2012, statistically unchanged.

Does she not teach math, or just leave it at work?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

Does she not teach math, or just leave it at work?

Why are you being so obstinate here? Okay so 50k is technically marginally below 51 or w/e but I already said she made more than that in the first place and this entire aside was dumb because it ignored my general point of financial independence leading towards less of a desire for financial gestures as a symbol of romance

like what exact point are you trying to push here, just say it straight

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Pick posted:

Yeah, but there's a difference between a relationship where you can still afford rent/mortgage in a nice part of town after a break-up, and one where you can't.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah, but there's a difference between a relationship where you can still afford rent/mortgage in a nice part of town after a break-up, and one where you can't.

no I think we need to argue for at least 3 pages whether parts of the country (such as where I literally live) allow you to mortgage a 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house for like 1.1 a month

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a predatory take, that you find women with certain set characteristics so they expect even less of you, that you don't even have to fulfill the tiny sliver of responsibility that comes with being in a relationship. You think your relationship is equal because it's your idea of a compromise point, not a compromise point from the perspective of reality.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

It's a predatory take, that you find women with certain set characteristics so they expect even less of you, that you don't even have to fulfill the tiny sliver of responsibility that comes with being in a relationship. You think your relationship is equal because it's your idea of a compromise point, not a compromise point from the perspective of reality.

the tiny sliver of responsibility such as spending way more than you need on a symbolic gesture rather than just using that on the honeymoon or w/e? i dunno to me it's just nice to be appreciated for cooking dinner and doin nice things rather than how much i spend on our dates.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
there are things I provide to my relationships that aren't measured by the numerical amount of dollars I'm investing in them and I find it's common that the more my partner earns the more these things are valued. That's all I was tryin to say.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

That's household income, not individual income. It doesn't apply.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

quote:

My wife and I were elated to find out we are going to have a daughter! We decided to discuss names last week and gave ourselves three days to prepare our ideas. I spent a ton of time on this and even put together a presentation with each name and the reasons I liked them. I chose some important family names and some special names from literature and the arts—all of which I think would be beautiful.

My wife showed up with a few names scribbled on the back of a grocery list as if she hardly even cared! Also her ideas were trashy misspelled names like Lauryn and Bethonie and 18th-century presidents’ names like Madison, Taylor, and Polk. I was so disappointed in my wife for not taking this seriously, as I feel it is very important. Honestly, this episode has me questioning the foundation of our relationship, let alone raising a child together.

Obviously, I can’t just leave now because I am committed to the child, but how can my wife and I get past this major red flag in our relationship? I have tried to discuss it with her and she doesn’t even think she has done anything wrong, so we are at a major impasse.

LOL dingus made a powerpoint about baby names.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ABORT

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
People being idiots about money knows no income limit, and yeah gold diggers exist, but both of those are why you make sure you're on the same financial page as your SO before getting engaged. Otherwise you might get hitched with your equal-income partner and find out they routinely blow their paychecks on bitcoin or something. (But hey, at least they're not using your money as a substitute for love! :shepspends:)

And the flip side to all this is guys who get crippingly insecure if their SO makes more than them. Like this sadsack:

My boyfriend [21M] recently told me [21F] he couldn't be with a woman who makes more money than him, which I already do... Is this normal?

quote:

Hi Reddit,

Using a throwaway because my boyfriend is a redditor. I currently live with my boyfriend. We have been together for over two years and lately, things have been going pretty well. One thing that has rocked the boat in our relationship is that he is obtaining more and more conservative view points, on everything from abortion to government programs to gay marriage, where at the beginning of our relationship, he was socially somewhat liberal. With I'm more of an independent, I do feel strongly about a few of these social issues.

A recent conversation came up though that has been really bothering me, and I'm not sure how to handle it. I recently graduated college, and took on an average entry level position making a decent amount of money. He never took any college courses and is currently working making close to minimum wage. He has discussed going into the military or trade school, but I don't believe that either of these things will come to fruition. I've been performing very well at my current job, and it has come to my attention that I am eligible for a promotion within the next month, and that within the next 12-14 months, it is likely that I could double my salary from what I'm making now. He has always responded with something generic like "congrats, babe" and never has really asked me any questions or expressed real interest in this. His income has never bothered me because I know that I am able to provide for myself.

The other night, the topic of stay at home dads came up, and he expressed that he is against this, and that men are supposed to be providers. I pointed out that this is an outdated viewpoint, since in modern times "providing" doesn't usually require physical strength but rather intelligence in some form or another. He disagreed, and said that he could never be in a relationship where he is making less than his partner, because it was "embarrassing" for a man to let a woman provide more for the family (or in general.)

I tried to discuss this further with him, considering that I already make significantly more money than he does and that I will probably continue to do so, with my likelihood of promotion and his lack of a plan for future education or training so far. He shot down my questions from then on and told me that he was done talking about it. Not so much in an irritated/reflective sort of way, but moreso that it was out of his head and he didn't feel like talking about it any more.

I know this topic isn't as extreme as most on this subreddit, but I'm feeling uncertain about how to handle this situation. We live together and I love my boyfriend, but I am now afraid that despite our positive relationship, he could leave me at any moment because I am making more money than he is. Is his perspective on this normal? Is there any way to go about discussing it with someone who seems deadset on not communicating about it further? I have always been fine with his income and have never given him a reason to feel guilty or lesser because of it. I'm just happy to have him around. If I really want to go on a date or see a movie and he can't afford it, I'm more than happy to foot the bill without making anything of it.

tl;dr: My boyfriend recently expressed that he could not be with a woman who makes more money than he does. I already do have a higher income, and it will likely continue to increase over the next year or two. Is this type of thinking normal? Should I stay with him under the fear that he could leave me because of this?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

That's household income, not individual income. It doesn't apply.

we were literally talking about household income in those literal terms

e: like half the point of my post was that dating someone who makes more than the national household income puts them in a convenient place of not caring that much about money within the relationship

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 14, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Haifisch posted:

My boyfriend [21M] recently told me [21F] he couldn't be with a woman who makes more money than him, which I already do... Is this normal?

Why do people make statements like that, and stay?

Is it so they can act all put out for compromising their values?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 14, 2017

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Why do people make statements like that, and stay?

Is it so they can act all put out for compromising their values?

yes. it's a control tactic

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
"You're so lucky that I, a minimum wage worker, am willing to look past these DEALBREAKERS for you rather than date someone who conforms to my standards, like for example a homeless person."

Buzkashi fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 14, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:qq: Pick and ArbitraryC stop fighting! :qq:

Pick you imply its predatory behavior for a guy to use equal income as an excuse, but I think it's even worse where there is a big difference in income and the lower earner (usually the woman) gets pressured into being financially dependent on the other partner.

ArbitraryC engagement rings are like bicycles, some people absolutely must have an $8,000 bicycle while others are fine salvaging one from a dumpster. There's no 'right' or 'wrong' amount to spend assuming you're not going into debt in the process.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
A lot going on here.

Wife [F22] has Vaginismus and has made little effort on trying to fix it after 2 1/2 years of being married. She gets depressed if I [M25] ever bring up the idea of wanting to ever have sex.

quote:

We made a commitment to save sex until marriage when we were dating. We are still both virgins. The first sign of vaginismus was she was never able to put in tampons. Then when she was getting her checkup before we got married, the doctor had to stick a finger in her and she was crying from how painful it was, but the hole is easily big enough for a finger. She then didn't want to use the dilators that the doctor gave her because they hurt. She thought it would be fixed magically on our wedding night. It didn't magically work.

After 7 months of me begging her, she finally went to see the doctor about it. We were in a small college town so there weren't any sex therapists or anything. They told her it was vaginismus and that she could treat it through a few different methods. They gave her numbing cream and anxiety pills to help her start trying to get at least a finger in. She gets super nauseous even looking at her vagina, so she has a lot of work to do. She took the anxiety pill, I applied the numbing cream because she was too grossed out, and we waited a bit for it to kick in. Just applying the cream made her cry from pain, so you can imagine the anxiety at this point. Long story short, that idea of numbing cream and pills failed. She didn't want to try again, or do it without me because it was gross to her, but didn't trust me to get anywhere close to her vagina with my hands so I literally didn't know how to help.

A few months pass and we move to LA. I suggest the idea that now she can find a more specialized doctor that can help us out. She shut down the idea with lots of doubts on how they couldn't help her. Literally not giving anything a try because "if she tries things and they fail, then she runs out of options and she will have this issue forever." Of course I'm saying. "You won't know until you try." She then comes up with the brilliant idea that she will just wait and try to fix this when we decide we want to have kids because that would be a motivation for her. Yay....... sigh.

By this point, I was the one doing ALL of the research. I would show her articles and blogs, but reading them would make her nauseous or depressed. So I finally convinced her to buy a book on how to overcome vaginismus and a set of dilators. The next struggle, to get her to freaking read the book! (1 1/2 years married now)

After owning the book for a week, she finally pops it open and reads the first chapter. She decides there's no way she can do those exercises so she's just going to try and get over her mental battle first. So she starts trying to look at her vagina in the mirror for 5 minutes a night. The goal in this was to help her not feel nauseous just looking at it. This lasted for a short amount of time.

So here is where we are at now. She has now come up with the idea that she should see a therapist. Woo!! She called one a month ago and they were overbooked. She's still "looking" now. Insurance is now a concern for her. I'll pay the $200 a visit just go! But we are moving to a different part of LA in July so she keeps saying she will just wait......

So to straighten things out, I love my wife and the reason I married her was not for the sex, but her personality. She's hilarious and super easy to talk to. Super hot. Much smarter than me. And I don't care that she has vaginismus because that is fixable. What I do care about is that after 2 1/2 years, she STILL doesn't seem to care or try! And she doesn't try at all in any way to make up for the fact that she has vaginismus. I can count on one hand how many times she's tried to give me oral. She won't actually put it in her mouth though because she doesn't like the taste (she gagged and almost threw up, and that was in the shower so clean dick. Just pre cum taste), so she licks my shaft and balls. Not really oral. And that's happened 3 times in 2 1/2 years. I bought flavored lube, she was still too scared to put it in her mouth. Neither of us are interested in anal. We orgasm by dry humping so there is still some sort of sexual connection. She just has no romantic passion anymore. She won't kiss me for more than 20 seconds. But continues to say how sexy I am, but I don't feel way that since she lacks a sex drive now. My fear is that if she ever gets over the vaginismus, she still will have a super low sex drive.

I feel like getting a divorce over the fact that she has vaginismus is not right, especially if she was genuinely trying. But she's not trying. Her lack of motivation and easily giving up are such a hard traits to deal with. She's the same way with work/career too. I shouldn't have to be constantly motivating her. But if I sit back and be patient, she just forgets about it and goes on with her life. Which is why there are such if time gaps. How can I be supportive if she has no drive to fix the problem? She's doing this for me, not herself. Or is it pretty much a dead end and she most likely won't fix the problem since she doesn't actually care to fix it for herself? Am I selfish for wanting sex in a relationship?

If I ever bring up the fact that this is hard on me, she gets depressed and asks if I'm going to divorce her and if I still love her. This pressure isn't helping her, so I try not to bring up my pain much. But at the same time, me sitting back and watching her also sit back is also not helping.

So, last year I started playing video games again to try to distract me from always wanting sex. That way I wouldn't annoy her and continue to hurt myself by always being rejected. It has helped with my anxiety a lot. But at this point, I feel like now I'm the one who is hurting the relationship. I'm just tired of trying and feeling selfish.

TL;DR after being married for 2 1/2 years to my wife, she still doesn't have any motivation to try to overcome vaginismus and I'm struggling to stay in the relationship

Wife hates her own body and is too ashamed to do anything about the problem, hopes for magical fixes. Marriage doomed, so what.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
"Yes, I can't stand being in a relationship with this person as it is, so I'm going to marry them and hopefully just change them later. That'll work."

Girl is a nun, get used to it or get out imo

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That's a totally valid reason to divorce. She cried because of the numbing cream? Oh boy, good luck!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Don't date/marry people with vaginismus

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Don't date/marry people with vaginismus

...who refuse to get treatment for it and are happy to just ignore it. I think that's the really important bit in the story.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No just don't date them period.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Clark Nova posted:

You'd probably make more money sperging out and going all moneyball about how much to overcharge for miller lite than you would by inventing the science of titty phrenology.

howwww do you double blind survey male sexual preferences. did the models wear bags for a week. "okay now on THIS dance i want you to shake the LEFT titty only. ONLY the left. if i see ANY right titty shakeage it will upset the WHOLE model trains."

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

...who refuse to get treatment for it and are happy to just ignore it. I think that's the really important bit in the story.
I wonder if her bhole is off limits too.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Things this thread had taught me:
Don't date gamers
Don't date picky eaters
Don't date autists
Don't date bipolars
Don't date Vaginismusers

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Humans are terrible and all interaction with/between them is pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Things this thread had taught me:
Don't date gamers
Don't date picky eaters
Don't date autists
Don't date bipolars
Don't date Vaginismusers

You forgot childfree people.

I mean, pretty much anyone who defines a large part of their identity by a hobby, activity or particular lifestyle choice is a lovely person to live with.