Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quandary posted:

Legit question is making your school after a group a bad thing always? Obviously if it's a slur IE Redskins that's awful but having them be the Aztecs isn't necessarily bad or derogatory.

It's very possibly that this post is on the wrong side of history.

It's fine if they're looooooong gone, Trojans, Spartans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quandary posted:

Legit question is making your school after a group a bad thing always? Obviously if it's a slur IE Redskins that's awful but having them be the Aztecs isn't necessarily bad or derogatory.

The cultural appropriation is generally the problem I think? Think of the old Illini thing where someone would dress up as an Indian chief and dancing around, poo poo like that. Or the Chiefs, like there's nothing at all bad about the name itself but I understand why some native americans would be pissed about all the fans showing up in headdresses and a white cheerleader dressed in a vaguely native american fashion riding around on a horse after Touchdowns and poo poo.

I have no clue how much or little SDSU does with Aztec things.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think "Trojans" is a hilarious name because people assume they won the Trojan War/that the Trojan Horse was their thing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh the Vandals. Forgot about the Vandals.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

My understanding is that a huge majority of mexicans are of hispanic descent and that actual native descendants are a rarity on the level of native americans in the US.

68% mestizo and 11% amerindian makes 79% of the total population of Mexico that identifies Native American ancestors as a meaningful part of their heritage

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

feel like you're looking past vandy and app state

lol i didn't realize uga scheduled app

what the gently caress were they thinking

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

It's fine if they're looooooong gone, Trojans, Spartans, Nittany Lions

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 21, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

It's fine if they're looooooong gone, Trojans, Spartans.

I mean, that gets back to the statute of limitations thing. What's the timing. Aztec empire was a thing 500 years ago. The Aztec people are a collection of other ethnicities. Vandals were a thing 1500 years ago. Spartans and Trojans were things 2500 years ago. I'm sure there was some Greek somewhere that traces his lineage back to Sparta. Vikings were a think 1000 years ago.

We've got Swedes, Norse, Dutch, Saxons, Celts, Irish, Cajuns, Quakers, Crusaders, Goths, Hill-toppers, Pilgrims, plus all manner of Native American tribes, voluntary or not. Which of those are we too close to?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think more important than time is power dynamics. Native Americans and Mexican-Americans are historically marginalized groups that still face discrimination today, so when an institution that's largely not made up of the ethnic group in question profits from peddling their cultural heritage, it feels kinda exploitative.

Trojans, Spartans etc are okay because basically nobody holds any emotional attachment to Troy or Sparta, and something like Notre Dame or ULL's mascots are a bit more "genuine" since the people who chose those names actually had that heritage.

(actually I'm not 100% sure about ULL having a significant Cajun student body, I just assumed cause of the location)

Pakled fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 21, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pakled posted:

I think more important than time is power dynamics. Native Americans and Mexican-Americans are historically marginalized groups that still face discrimination today, so when an institution that's largely not made up of the ethnic group in question profits from peddling their cultural heritage, it feels kinda exploitative.

Trojans, Spartans etc are okay because basically nobody holds any emotional attachment to Troy or Sparta.

Thoughts on Irish as a mascot?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

kayakyakr posted:

Ah whoops I was working on that edit when you made that post :v:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Quandary posted:

I don't think so. Various Native American groups like it when the Army/Air Force/Navy name helicopters after them. They even have to get tribal approval to go ahead with the name.

kayakyakr posted:

I give no shits. Plus its not like they're called the Surly Micks or anything.

Signed,
An Irish-American from a family of Irish Catholic Notre Dame fans

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Wait, Vandals are an ethnic group?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

like, 2000 years ago yeah.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bunch of guys from Poland-ish, ran roughshod over Europe for 700 years, sacked Rome in 455.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Quandary posted:

I agree with you 100%, but we are indeed going to end up on the wrong side of history.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Learn some drat history! Who do you think sacked Rome?

Stop naming teams after people. All teams should have good car mascots thank you for your time

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am honestly curious now about PETA's stance on naming teams after animals.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

swickles posted:

I am honestly curious now about PETA's stance on naming teams after animals.

I'm assuming they are fine with that but strongly against live mascots.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Without cultural appropriation we'd all still be wearing animal skins and living in caves. Human history is the spread of traditions.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

General Dog posted:

Without cultural appropriation we'd all still be wearing animal skins and living in caves. Human history is the spread of traditions.

What culture is the grode jar appropriated from?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

an adult beverage posted:

Aggies are their own culture and should be discriminated against

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

an adult beverage posted:

Emblematic of the mixing pot that is A&M, it borrows from the female tradition of menstruation and the ancient Mesopotamian tradition of putting things in jars.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

Yeah, you know there's a difference between appropriation and diffusion. But you gotta keep up with the regressive gimmick.

I sometimes wonder if you're a false flag Texas poster deliberately playing into every awful Aggie stereotype.

For the few OU posters (or anyone else, I guess) who still occasionally lurk the thread: I'm putting the O/U on "Sooners" getting replaced at 15 years. Any takers?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Aggies are essentially the evil horde from the 13th Warrior/Eaters of the Dead except with cum and dead dogs instead of cannibalism

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

TipTow posted:

I sometimes wonder if you're a false flag Texas poster deliberately playing into every awful Aggie stereotype.

Sounds like a lot of work for a Texas fan.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Alaois posted:

Tanner Lee will have 2 or 3 throws a game that will make him look like the greatest quarterback in school history, and then throw 5 completely inexplicable interceptions

poo poo, we're used to that 'round these here parts

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I like being the Aztecs because it's unique and I'd rather be unique than one of 20 Tigers or Wildcats or Warriors or something generic.

I've never once thought it was offensive or have it even cross my mind as being offensive, but I am super white so I don't know why it would have.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

too drunk to care, so go for it

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I'm trying find a way to relate...

If someone was to call their team the "Jews" then I might think that a dumb name. But naming a team directly after any religion is dumb, even if that religion is also an ethnic group. It's not really about being insensitive, though.

OTOH, if someone was to name their team the "Hebrews" I would probably think that's a pretty cool team name. The Hebrews as a tribe were mean and would gently caress you up as soon as look at you.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I would pull for a team named the Philistines.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kayakyakr posted:

I'm trying find a way to relate...

If someone was to call their team the "Jews" then I might think that a dumb name. But naming a team directly after any religion is dumb, even if that religion is also an ethnic group. It's not really about being insensitive, though.

OTOH, if someone was to name their team the "Hebrews" I would probably think that's a pretty cool team name. The Hebrews as a tribe were mean and would gently caress you up as soon as look at you.

If it were a specifically or even predominately Jewish school nobody would really care. Go Brandeis Fighting Hebrews.

My alma mater used to be called the Presbyterian Steamroller and then became the Fighting Scots.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TipTow posted:

For the few OU posters (or anyone else, I guess) who still occasionally lurk the thread: I'm putting the O/U on "Sooners" getting replaced at 15 years. Any takers?

OU naming themselves after a bunch of land thieves is the best thing about OU.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hey, we stole "Boomer Sooner" from two different sources too. At least we didn't half-rear end the "thief" thing.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

TipTow posted:

Yeah, you know there's a difference between appropriation and diffusion. But you gotta keep up with the regressive gimmick.

Not a chance in hell

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Elephanthead posted:

Anyway came here to post that Tebow wrote John 3:16 on someones forehead before sending them to heaven. They were teammates.

This sounds like Tim Tebow has become a serial killer with a very memorable trademark. That's what you meant, right?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TipTow posted:

When I was around six I asked my older brother where "Sooners" came from and he told me it was because they would sooner be somewhere other than Oklahoma. I believed this was the actual reason for the name for an embarrassingly long time.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Grittybeard posted:

When I was around six I asked my older brother where "Sooners" came from and he told me it was because they would sooner be somewhere other than Oklahoma. I believed this was the actual reason for the name for an embarrassingly long time.

A much better reason imo

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
There were a bunch of protests like two years ago about how ou was offernsive to native Americans which got roundly ignored and forgotten. Wouldn't be surprised to see those come back regularly but I highly doubt it changes for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I agree, OU is offensive.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 22, 2017

• Locked thread