Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

darealkooky posted:

take a super long time to make another one atlus, TIA.

Don't worry, ATLUS will not disappoint on this point.

Really looking forward to the catharsis scenes of Makoto actually being a cool motorcycle waifu after the way they're building her up as a fake bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think most reasonable adults can agree that The Spinoffs Aren't Canon
Kanamin from Dancing All Night is in P5, they are extremely canon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly the power levels are probably P5>P4>P3, main characters excluded. The P3 crew haven't mastered their inner shadows enough to summon personas without an external tool, and the P4 crew spent an entire year failing to apprehend the world's laziest criminal

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly the power levels are probably P5>P4>P3, main characters excluded. The P3 crew haven't mastered their inner shadows enough to summon personas without an external tool, and the P4 crew spent an entire year failing to apprehend the world's laziest criminal

I think it was brought up earlier, but since the P3 cast isn't in some alternate cognitive reality like the tv world or mementos, they have trouble. When they go into the TV world in P4A, it's super easy for them without their Evokers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think it was brought up earlier, but since the P3 cast isn't in some alternate cognitive reality like the tv world or mementos, they have trouble. When they go into the TV world in P4A, it's super easy for them without their Evokers.

That's kinda weird and didn't match my understanding of how the dark world, shadows, and personas worked but since it must be canon or Labrys doesn't exist then I have to accept that my understanding is flawed

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the persona 2 protags just walked outside and summoned the dang things, it was whatever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Moltrey posted:

the persona 2 protags just walked outside and summoned the dang things, it was whatever

I played the beginning of Persona 1 so I know the characters in that were directly granted their persona powers by a supernatural being, was there really nothing like that in 2?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

cheetah7071 posted:

I played the beginning of Persona 1 so I know the characters in that were directly granted their persona powers by a supernatural being, was there really nothing like that in 2?

They are but it's covered more later on.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, they still get their power from Philemon, but they can walk down the street and just summon them no problem. The P2 characters also face their Shadows too

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Haru's awakened persona what the gently caress

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

cheetah7071 posted:

The P3 crew haven't mastered their inner shadows enough to summon personas without an external tool, and the P4 crew spent an entire year failing to apprehend the world's laziest criminal

p3/4/5 each have the characters accept a different thing based on what the overall theme of the game is and thus have different summoning methods

in p3 you accept death, except nobody can actually do that unless you're a psycho like the head of strega or a machine like aigis so you have to fake sucide with a fake gun (or a shock collar if you're a dog because P3 is a little hamfisted in how edgy it can be)

in p4 you accept the truth, specifically that you aren't perfect and have lovely parts of your personality so you get a card that shows the representation of your lovely inner self that you're cool showing to others now

in p5 you accept that you're mad as hell and not gonna pretend you aren't anymore, so you literally rip off the mask you're hiding behind and let your emotions flow out

first two games are just "a god from the collective unconscious did it"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I think it's cool that you can use concepts P5 introduces, specifically shadows being demons under the mask and the cognitive world, to justify how the summoning methods and enemies are basically way different in every single persona game. That's the sort of blatant retconning an anniversary game needs imo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

slev posted:

Haru's awakened persona what the gently caress

I agree, it is rad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i never really thought of koro's collar as a shock collar

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

i never really thought of koro's collar as a shock collar

I swear mitsuru or something specifically says that's what it is but maybe I'm just imaging that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty sure the whole facing death thing is never explicitly mentioned since it went way over my teen self's head

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Futaba's awakened Persona is weirdly low resolution. Is it just me? I like the design but it's kinda killed by being so blurry.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

I swear mitsuru or something specifically says that's what it is but maybe I'm just imaging that
they say it's a collar but they don't mention it zaps him or anything

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Pretty sure they say in 3 that you need the evokers to basically trick yourself into thinking you're going to die and your Persona kicks in as a defense mechanism. They're kind of bad at using Personas in 3.

I miss the fusion spells from 3. The way you reel back every time really makes you feel like "oh yeah, of course this kid is going to die, he's killing himself"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

well who the gently caress knows then, most characters have a sort of recoil on using an evoker so it's probably not just a prop but who can say

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole facing death thing is never explicitly mentioned since it went way over my teen self's head

It isn't, P3 is full of things that certainly imply something but because the game is sort of unfinished and bad it's never actually made explicit until later material retroactively covers it (or nothing does)

like how the original version clearly has references to plumes of dusk all over the place if you know where to look but doesn't explain what the gently caress those are or give them a name until FES/side material

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I've never considered buying an artbook for a game before, but I am seriously considering it for this one. Anyone have it and is it good?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
did I gently caress something up because I'm 270 coins short on the 2nd floor and I need 10k to start. Will slots actually pay anything out?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

MotU posted:

did I gently caress something up because I'm 270 coins short on the 2nd floor and I need 10k to start. Will slots actually pay anything out?

Doing the maze should get you 10k coins. You sure you explored everything?

Slots and dice do get you coins, but it's all chance.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

ApplesandOranges posted:

Doing the maze should get you 10k coins. You sure you explored everything?

Slots and dice do get you coins, but it's all chance.

yeah I bought the accessories before the Battle Arena leaving me slightly short so

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

ChaosArgate posted:

Look I know better than to cheat on the girl who actually knows self defense and could probably kick my rear end outside of the metaverse.

It don't count if ya in different metaverses ma brotha :smugdog:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

It isn't, P3 is full of things that certainly imply something but because the game is sort of unfinished and bad it's never actually made explicit until later material retroactively covers it
tbh this is more interesting writing than persona 4 constantly going 'have you faced your TRUE SELF yet?' death is a constant background element in persona 3 and they reference it several times and obviously the final boss is literally the concept of death but they never turn to the camera and go 'we're facing the innate human fear of death.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

implying things freaking owns 'cause it means the audience can take those implications in whatever direction they want, which is more interesting than being able to parrot that persona 4 is a game about facing your true self, because the game has told you twenty-seven times that it's about facing your true self, so i guess it is (even tho it has several things that contradict that theme)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

tbh this is more interesting writing than persona 4 constantly going 'have you faced your TRUE SELF yet?' death is a constant background element in persona 3 and they reference it several times and obviously the final boss is literally the concept of death but they never turn to the camera and go 'we're facing the innate human fear of death.'

It would be nice to have one of the characters like ask the obvious question "so why is this thing shaped like a gun?" for the benefit of dumb edgy kids who are the target demographic though, even if they don't spell absolutely everything out

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like even then P3 spelled it out plenty

granted I haven't played that game since it came out but I don't know how you get through the last few months of it without knowing exactly what they're going for

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

It would be nice to have one of the characters like ask the obvious question "so why is this thing shaped like a gun?" for the benefit of dumb edgy kids who are the target demographic though, even if they don't spell absolutely everything out

the first scene with yukari pressing the gun to her head and sounding like she's talking herself into suicide is super, super, super obvious. also the opening animation starts with 'remember you will die.' also nyx spends every turn in battle talking about the inevitability of death. you might have just been a really dense kid. they make it incredibly obvious they just don't have the characters literally go 'this is the theme of the game.'

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

p3 goes past just implying cool thematic stuff though, large parts of character/world backstory and even motivations are given in like 1-2 lines that are sometimes optional and you just gotta fill in the blanks. it's neat but it's also why the game has galacial pacing

cheetah7071 posted:

jupei does it but he basically just asks it out loud in the dorm and I think yukari or someone is like "who knows man" and then nobody bothers asking again, including literal child ken

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

you might have just been a really dense kid.

not impossible

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thanatos's cape is made out of coffins!!!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I also don't know how you'd get the idea that P3 was unfinished

I have pleeeenty of problems with that game but "unfinished" was not one of them

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

thanatos's cape is made out of coffins!!!

ya its cool

RME
Feb 20, 2012

that gundam image but it says memento mori and the persons looking at thanatos going "woah cool persona"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Endorph posted:

implying things freaking owns 'cause it means the audience can take those implications in whatever direction they want, which is more interesting than being able to parrot that persona 4 is a game about facing your true self, because the game has told you twenty-seven times that it's about facing your true self, so i guess it is (even tho it has several things that contradict that theme)

To be fair this is like the only part of Persona 3 that I would say is well executed. That game is a hot mess of great ideas that don't quite stick the landing or are poorly paced as hell. I do hate with a passion when JRPGs over exposit though.

Get it? Well executed?

MEMENTO MORI REMEMBER DAT ONE DAY U WILL DIE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh you could say the same thing about persona 5. it's just that the ridiculous filler is hours 20-40 instead of hours 5-30.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I also don't know how you'd get the idea that P3 was unfinished

I have pleeeenty of problems with that game but "unfinished" was not one of them

maybe not unfinished but the game was basically remade over and over until they eventally made the P3 we know and love and it certainly feels like they just sort of left a bunch of ideas out because they needed to finally just publish this loving game already

the third years being in SEES for a while now and shinji killing kens mom is a super big deal that defines the character arcs and personalities of half your party and thats given maybe 4 lines hinting at what that was actually like. the answer has a couple scenes to try and correct this but they really just raise more questions than they answer (haha)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I agree. It's just that the rest of it is strong enough that it doesn't hurt the overall experience too much.

Still a flaw! Have more faith in your goddamn audience writers