Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
panda clue
May 23, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

Evasion is a good layer of defense

It's just that we also have a type of defense that's a good defense by itself

ES really shouldn't be classified as the same type of thing as armor and evasion, and honestly GGG treating it as such in some ways and not in others has led to a lot of the issues with it. For example, being able to craft 20% ES on rings/amulet is just absurd, but makes sense and is fine for armor/evasion. There's really no reason for such a thing to exist when there is no similar life-based option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah, another thing about the Dex change in D3 is it made all these scattered pieces of extra evasion suddenly worthwhile.

Evasion scales way differently than mitigation, so things that aren't actually diminishing returns for armor and allres really are for it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

panda clue posted:

Chaos does effect ES builds - it doesn't effect CI builds. There is a difference. CI would probably be fine if they just flat out removed the nodes behind it, which I expect something along those lines in 3.0. Evasion is fine unless you rely on it 100%, which is obviously not intended for anyone that isn't a ranged character. As a supplementary form of mitigation it is excellent. Evasion doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Sure but you're only not taking CI if you're doing a low life build, which is another beast entirely. The rest take CI.

Evasion being supplementary is kind of why it's bad. If you're Armor/Evasion, Iron Reflexes is better than not because of double dipping nodes, and if you're ES you're hard in ES and won't be taking any hybrid gear pieces because they're less efficient. Evasion with dodge nodes is too unreliable.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

Sure but you're only not taking CI if you're doing a low life build, which is another beast entirely. The rest take CI.

Evasion being supplementary is kind of why it's bad. If you're Armor/Evasion, Iron Reflexes is better than not because of double dipping nodes, and if you're ES you're hard in ES and won't be taking any hybrid gear pieces because they're less efficient. Evasion with dodge nodes is too unreliable.

It was my understanding that the nodes don't actually double dip when you take Iron Reflexes? Is that wrong? I know for a fact if you get IR, have the 'double armor from body armor' node from juggernaut, and wear an evasion chest that it doesn't get doubled.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Evasion on your ci is cool in theory because evading hits lets your es recharge more often :-)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

panda clue posted:

It was my understanding that the nodes don't actually double dip when you take Iron Reflexes? Is that wrong? I know for a fact if you get IR, have the 'double armor from body armor' node from juggernaut, and wear an evasion chest that it doesn't get doubled.

That is my understanding as well. Hybrid armor/evasion nodes only apply once.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

panda clue posted:

McFrugal posted:

That is my understanding as well. Hybrid armor/evasion nodes only apply once.

When did this get nerfed? Why is GGG so allergic to defensive stats other than ES being usable? :psyduck:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Shortest Path posted:

When did this get nerfed? Why is GGG so allergic to defensive stats other than ES being usable? :psyduck:

This is how it's always worked. Like damage bonuses, a single bonus that meets multiple conditions will only apply once; e.g. "+24% armor and evasion" counts as 24% with IR, while something with two separate mods that are "+24% armor" and "+24% evasion" would count as 48%.
This quirk is also what Varunastra builds are based on, since there's a circle of nodes that grant separate bonuses to axes, swords, and claws (I think? maybe maces and not claws), so since they're 3 separate mods with identical values that apply to Varunastra, the Varunastra gets all three.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh, that's not what I meant. I meant your evasion rating gets increased by both evasion% and armor%. I thought you were telling me that was removed, I haven't played for a couple of seasons before this one and thought I missed something.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
The real benefit of Ev is that you don't get hit, since you are wearing Qotf and running circles around every damage source. Move speed is the best defense.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

This is how it's always worked. Like damage bonuses, a single bonus that meets multiple conditions will only apply once; e.g. "+24% armor and evasion" counts as 24% with IR, while something with two separate mods that are "+24% armor" and "+24% evasion" would count as 48%.
This quirk is also what Varunastra builds are based on, since there's a circle of nodes that grant separate bonuses to axes, swords, and claws (I think? maybe maces and not claws), so since they're 3 separate mods with identical values that apply to Varunastra, the Varunastra gets all three.

It briefly worked like that (GGG claimed it was just a bug)

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
For softcore I think all the defensive mechanics are pretty well balanced. Evasion, dodge, block all give you a big ehp boost when you're up against packs of smaller critters. A lot of people fail to consider that characters running those defenses usually have a lot of high mobility options that makes it easier to reposition and avoid poo poo outright. There's no nice friendly tooltip that shows you how much mobility matters, so people ignore it even though the right side of the tree is screaming at them about it. Granted, you will probably die to the one or two shot if you fail to avoid it and your dodge/block fails to trigger, but you should be in those situations a lot less often.

Obviously a lot of that goes out the window in hardcore because you can't afford to roll those dice on an even semi-regular basis. Having a big effective health pool is a lot more certain and straightforward.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ok what do I do with all of this

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Buy a currency tab.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
My slayer is going well, I've managed to stop dieing in normal and made it to Act 3 Merciless pretty soundly using sunder and now earthquake.

My only qualm with it is that when I use ancestral warchief totem and it gets the killing blow I don't get the onslaught bonus from the slayer ascendancy.

What's the best CWDT set up for HC, I'm currently rocking:

CWDT > Immortal call > Increased duration

with a threshold of about 1200 hp (my life is 3.8k) and manually casting Enduring cry, should I add something like molten shell to that, or would a spell be better?

The rest of my setup is Earthquake > Reduced Duration > Melee physical > Added fire

Ancestral Warchief > Melee physical > Added Fire > faster attacks

Leap Slam > Faster Attacks > Fortify

Blasphemy > Enfeeble

Hatred

Stone Golem

Stangg fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 28, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Ok what do I do with all of this

Stop picking up scrolls
Go to currency.poe.trade and convert the rest to chaos.
Use more stash tabs.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Convert it all to a single exalt.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Budgie posted:

Convert it all to a single exalt.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Convert it all to a single exalt, then use the exalt on a Tier 1 rare map.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

nerox posted:

Convert it all to a single exalt, then use the exalt on a Tier 1 rare map.

Recording it, so you can post it to youtube.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Late May/Early June: The Fall of Oriath Beta begins.
Approximately July 2017: The Fall of Oriath full release.

Beta pushed back rip

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jusupov posted:

Late May/Early June: The Fall of Oriath Beta begins.
Approximately July 2017: The Fall of Oriath full release.

Beta pushed back rip

poo poo thats enough time to roll another char on legacy

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
That sucks. I skipped legacy partly because I figured the beta would be out around the start of May. Getting blue balls now. Blue orbs. Exalt my balls.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Maybe I *will* try another character in the meantime, then.

My WI CI witch just hit 80, doing T8ish maps, and it's fun, but hey, a change might be fun too. Anything kinda tanky that isn't too expensive? By tanky I mean can actually take some hits, rather than "dies if I take two hits without massive leech".

If such a build exists, that is.

edit: or speedy. I'd take "this build will never stop moving ever and zips around the map like its on speed" too.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 28, 2017

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

silvergoose posted:

My WI CI witch just hit 80, doing T8ish maps, and it's fun, but hey, a change might be fun too. Anything kinda tanky that isn't too expensive? By tanky I mean can actually take some hits, rather than "dies if I take two hits without massive leech".

edit: or speedy. I'd take "this build will never stop moving ever and zips around the map like its on speed" too.

Speedy: Have you tried flicker strike? That's meant to be fairly fun. Good luck with guardians though lol.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Firos posted:

Speedy: Have you tried flicker strike? That's meant to be fairly fun. Good luck with guardians though lol.

...guardians being an endgame thing I certainly haven't gotten to on my WI right? :v:

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Correct. Guardians are the bosses of the four tier 16 maps.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

silvergoose posted:

e: i missed the "not expensive" part sorry. try vaal spark for a simliar playstyle but much much cheaper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9X5eodyhz0

interrodactyl posted:

I built this character by re-speccing my inquisitor vspark character and spending ~25ex in gear: http://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/interrodactyl/characters?characterName=BallSparks

Shaped strands are stupidly fast with this level of gear. So fast that I had to switch to predictive! It's a lot of fun if you like running good layout maps over and over and going really fast. As a warning, this character doesn't really feel good for anything above white maps until you get a lot of the stuff listed above.

Some specific thoughts for anyone who wants to try VFB:

- Elementalist might be better because prolif should help clean up mobs, and having two golems that don't die would be good. On the other hand, losing HoI would kind of suck, and the shatter hitsound is my favorite.
- Fireball mana cost is insane. Vinktar leech isn't even enough to keep myself going on some weird layout maps, thus the mana flask.
- Fireball single target sucks unless you have Dying Sun.
- Enlighten 4 is necessary if you want to run the whole set of auras. I'm at 7k without discipline though, so it's not necessary unless I replace Pariah.
- Ring options: Sibyl's Lament would be good safety because then I can safely run ele reflect maps. Berek's Respite shock range is too tiny for it to matter. Best option is probably to just to get two opal rings.
- This build is surprisingly flexible in tree pathing IMO. You have lots of options for jewel slots, and I might try to pick up 2x Inspired Learning to mimic Headhunter effects.

e: One cool thing is that the tree for VFB is really flexible and there's a ton of room for jewel slots. So there's a lot of editing you can do to fit your playstyle.

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 28, 2017

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

interrodactyl posted:

e: i missed the "not expensive" part sorry. try vaal spark for a simliar playstyle but much much cheaper

It doesn't even look like he's playing a game at that point

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That looks super goddamn fun. I have a tabula rasa to start out, so I'll look into what else I need and then just go nuts.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Which class is better for a ngahamu's cyclone build? Pathfinder looks good for speed, raider looks good for frenzy, beserker looks good in a lot of ways. I thought going CI Pathfinder would be a good idea (for the larger ES), but now I am not sure especially because of ES regen vs life regen. Berserker may be better dps and cheaper to build.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Raider always has been a disappointment for me, go raider. Zoooom.

If I hit an enemy with an attack that causes bleeding and decay will the decay be modified by bonuses to bleeding minions.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 28, 2017

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

silvergoose posted:

Max block gladiator with the skill of your choice (I like static strike) fits here. Cheap, tanky, and zips around with shield charge.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

NPR Journalizard posted:

Stop picking up scrolls

I probably have more currency than anyone else is in this thread and I still pick up scrolls. Get triggered, nerd.

Fixit posted:

Which class is better for a ngahamu's cyclone build? Pathfinder looks good for speed, raider looks good for frenzy, beserker looks good in a lot of ways. I thought going CI Pathfinder would be a good idea (for the larger ES), but now I am not sure especially because of ES regen vs life regen. Berserker may be better dps and cheaper to build.

People will tell you pathfinder is 'the best', and with an infinite budget it probably is, but raider is the most fun.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

panda clue posted:

People will tell you pathfinder is 'the best', and with an infinite budget it probably is, but raider is the most fun.

Why though? More speed? Speed is fun :D

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?

Fixit posted:

Why though? More speed? Speed is fun :D

Raider goes plenty fast, if that is what you care about. Probably much cheaper to get going too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm really torn between Raider or Slayer for being my favorite subclass + best league starter. They're both so loving good.

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?
Slayer for me, always go back to it when meleeing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

interrodactyl posted:

This doesn't look right.

The Broletariat posted:

Raider goes plenty fast, if that is what you care about. Probably much cheaper to get going too.

What is a good build choice for raider?

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Elentor posted:

What is a good build choice for raider?
HoWA Raider can do everything with ease, but is expensive

you could experiment playing other builds as a Raider (like Ngamahu or Tornado Shot or Poison Bladeflurry), the only thing you can't really do is spellcasters

• Locked thread