Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Remember how grenades in SC are 1 shot kills at any distance?

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x061JJcZP1E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

IK always has the potential to go crazy. But it looks hugely more satisfying and makes the character feel like part of their environment than just snapping between keyframe points.

Motion capturing 8 ways to sit in a cafeteria seat is a point most developers might consider building in a dynamic animation system that employs something like IK.

But that would mean huge amounts of programming and talent, and less time playing director in a motion capture studio. Needless to say, dynamic animation will not be making an appearance in Star Citizen or any CIG products.

The most dynamic animation you will get will be death animations where they flip off the canned animation system and say "now rag doll!"

Plus IK offers more flexibility. Inevitably a user will find a situation you never planned for (this is ALL software, not just games, am I right?) and then all your laborious mocap is for naught.

Oh, wait, that means back to the studio for more mocap for the next patch. Brilliant! Chris can milk this for pretty much forever at this point! He can be the cheesy Cecil B. DeMille knockoff he has always wanted to be for the foreseeable future! And we said he was a dumb thumb...

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

thatguy posted:

Woops didn't mean to spoil the opening of SQ42.

:fullburn:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I wonder how much it would cost to charter that jet with the padded walls that NASA uses to train astronauts for zero-gravity, and also why Crobbers hasn't done it yet so that he can do some more pointless motion capture

You can purchase a ticket on the "Vomit Comet" for about $5,000.

https://www.gozerog.com/

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Abuminable posted:

I'm sure you can find the door, then.

I see that mr. smart is mining and fishing for quotes/comments in our and other peoples exchange with you over at his forum and waving the "derek smart is right" flag, in tandem of you whiteknighting for him. And given your established/exposed bias and your posts in this thread, of derek's fud talking points posing as questions ... the optics on you just makes you again really disingenuous and not someone who is just asking questions, but trying to stir up trouble. I'm sorry if you don't understand the big words I use, I see you have that in common with mr. smart, he too have trouble with big words and technical terms and comprehension issues. Given you both and your fellow "Concern Trolls" have shown to misread/miscomprehend what other people (me) say; I'm not surprised.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

In not-trolling-the-new-people news,
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/69hql0/schedule_report_updated_estimated_30_release_now/?st=j2dqzqfc&sh=5072f431

There are so many people in that thread just on the verge of awareness about this whole thing being a scam. Of course, this is kind of the cycle with the sub, so I fully expect most of these people to be overwhelmed by the hype on the day/month of 3.0's release. CIG's been so specific with what was actually supposed to be in it this time that I feel like that's going to bite them. As long as people have a clear understanding of what's not there, I think the reaction to 3.0 is going to be a lot less positive or a lot less long-lasting than the bumps previous releases have given them.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Guy in spectrum is saying "Just bought the game I have an aurora and I get loving wrecked by the first pirates I see"

2/3rds of the comments are telling him to buy a better ship.

Not P2W.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
CIG's inaction/refusal to deal with this particular issue and their continued belittling and marginilization of those complaining about it made me rethink my pledge and I got most of the $2000 back that I had pledged to the game. In analogy, CIG sold me a bicycle but then gave me a unicycle and when I complained, they rolled their eyes, called me a whiner and told me to git gud. That's why I no longer download new updates.

+7
Immersive ◩◩◩◤@ImmersiveX
April 24th at 10:58 pm
I pulled my $900, mostly because of this issue.

+4
Yuri Orlov@YuriOrlov
April 24th at 11:02 pm

$2000 incl base package here

Cool 5g refund nice going guys. Our fake alt accounts going strong on spectrum

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Please do not invite old school commander here. my scrolling thumb is already tired.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lladre posted:

Please do not invite old school commander here. my scrolling thumb is already tired.

its derek

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Kellanved posted:

Someone posted a link to a paper in which an LSTM neural network was generating lifelike movement animations for changing environmental conditions. Not quite my field, but neural networks can generate some crazy good stuff, so why not animations?
No source code released, so it might not be as good as that youtube video, but the technology is there in some manner. And CIG is doing it all by hand, you visionaries you.

They should add neural net voice acting first

quote:

I was just thinking about what Brian was saying on the recent happy hour, about how the team at CIG are doing everything they can to create the most immersive world possible. One of the examples he gave was two NPC's trying to get past each other in a hallway, and whether one was a higher rank, or maybe they are friends.

In either case it seems logical that they would say something, friends would at least say hi as they passed even if they didn't stop and chat.
Additionally a mess hall will be a busy place full of conversation, and I was wondering how CIG would handle this? Is there going to be a backing track of a busy mess hall just randomly playing while NPC's look at each other and move their lips? Or will these NPC's have their own voices and actually carry on a conversation about something?

Would this be possible? Would it be practical?
I know from watching recent youtube videos that text to speech engines are getting far more realistic than ever before, I can often fool myself into believing I am listening to a real person.

With a community this large we could get volunteers to submit audio samples and build up a library of speech! We could have NPC's with different accents and tones of voice all procedurally assigned to each NPC! Now that would be immersive!

Does anyone know what CIG have planned? If they haven't got anything like this could we get it into the game?!
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/procedural-voices-for-npcs

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Who isn't?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

TheAgent posted:

wouldn't containers in the future have anti grav poo poo on them or just fly themselves to their destination or something

why the gently caress are we still throwing around luggage like we're working at LAX in the year 3,000

Holy poo poo dude, do you want there to be nothing for black NPCs to do at all?

Rude, and non fidelitious.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

starkebn posted:

there is still plenty of space mopping to be done

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Man, I can't wait to see their reaction when this poo poo-show collapses.

You could have been spending that money on Line of Defense.

drat you! drat you all to hell

yes it is.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Oh? Then you're going to have to explain this then :grin:

https://www.pscp.tv/dsmart/1vAxRbeeRorxl

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

thatguy posted:

Woops didn't mean to spoil the opening of SQ42.

drat, I must admit I was sceptical, but Chris Roberts really has stepped up his game in the story writing department. He's come a long way since "space tigers want to war humanity to death in space... also space".

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

starkebn posted:

:rip: black MMHC bouncer

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

D_Smart posted:

Oh? Then you're going to have to explain this then :grin:

https://www.pscp.tv/dsmart/1vAxRbeeRorxl

"I'm not going to say much, or stick around long" then speaks for 34 minutes. I still am enjoying it, but I just think that is funny.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Lladre posted:

Julyblog it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

From what I bothered to read, either Derek learned to fake a sense of self-awareness or a different sperg read all 100,000 words of Derek's blogs and now thinks in his voice. I donno.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished the Video Log. It was quite the thing! Derek has promised that if they deliver 3.0 with half the features he may consider not beating them up anymore!

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Just finished the Video Log. It was quite the thing! Derek has promised that if they deliver 3.0 with half the features he may consider not beating them up anymore!

Shitizens the world over are already declaring victory.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wise Learned Man posted:

Shitizens the world over are already declaring victory.

He was not specific as to what would constitute the original "3.0 feature list", so it may be open to a little interpretation. On the other hand, how many citizens will watch a 34 minute Derek vlog if they hate him so much? How will they ever know this promise exists?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What the hell Derek, are you going soft?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

So, what's the latest on black people in the 'verse?

I like how the arms and box blatantly clip through the top shelf like the first 10cm aren't even there but the box delicately rests the very lip of the second shelf with the box's center of gravity well over the edge like there's an extra invisible 30cm on that one. Gonna look great!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

wouldn't containers in the future have anti grav poo poo on them or just fly themselves to their destination or something

why the gently caress are we still throwing around luggage like we're working at LAX in the year 3,000

Antigrav container: $20 (ea)

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

TheAgent posted:

game designer: lets just have all your cargo load itself in with antigrav thrusters because its the future and its an easy way to save thousands of hours of animating and coding poo poo

chris roberts: lets just have all your cargo be hand loaded, every single piece of baggage from every height must be mocapped and then animated by hand for every type of different cargo bay and storage space and then gently caress, what if the players character model is smaller or a different height, I forgot about that unless our female models are the same height as the male models, gently caress, are they, I don't know, lets kick that can down the road a bit because we need a lot of loving money to keep this place afloat and I don't have time to consider things that don't cost us a shitload of time, money and energy for something gamers are going to be sick of after the 5th hour of playtime

David Braben: Click "BUY CARGO". Your inventory list will show the cargo. Click LAUNCH.

Shitizens: That's not fidelitous at all.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

lazorexplosion posted:

I like how the arms and box blatantly clip through the top shelf like the first 10cm aren't even there but the box delicately rests the very lip of the second shelf with the box's center of gravity well over the edge like there's an extra invisible 30cm on that one. Gonna look great!

I am confused why we are seeing a lot of mocap that is based around moving boxes and eating. Those are kind of mundane tasks. Why wouldn't they show off some of the motion capture from some more exciting portion of the game? Why is there such a huge focus on mundane tasks in general? How many people want to spend 3 hours loading up the space truck and then another 10 hours cruising down the space highway, all the while hoping that no pirates come and bumfuck them and put their various body parts in small crates?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

trucutru posted:

Antigrav container: $20 (ea)

Just a helpful reminder that the LTI on your Fora Pleasure bot is null and void if you don't transport it with the Antigrav container!

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Derek called Tony Zurovec, Brian Chambers, and Sean Tracy "no question" "world class developers".

:chloe:

To be fair Chambers at least has an impressive resume in a specific field but the jury's out on whether or not he's a world class director. I once thought he might be a competent light in the darkness but then he displayed great comfort bullshitting on camera to keep the whales enthusiastic.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kellanved posted:

Someone posted a link to a paper in which an LSTM neural network was generating lifelike movement animations for changing environmental conditions. Not quite my field, but neural networks can generate some crazy good stuff, so why not animations?
No source code released, so it might not be as good as that youtube video, but the technology is there in some manner. And CIG is doing it all by hand, you visionaries you.

Also, anything good happen in the last couple of days? You goonie cuntiflas.

Why paper when you can youtube it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul0Gilv5wvY

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

It's like Cymelion is a super hero and Derek Smart is an archvillain

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If he doesn't want to hear about Derek Smart he could stop talking constantly about Derek Smart, watching, reading, and listening to all of Derek Smart's comments, and stop making up weird poo poo about him today though? :confused:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mangoose posted:

It's like Cymelion is a super hero and Derek Smart is an archvillain

He's not the redditor we want but he's the one we need.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

lazorexplosion posted:

It really was the top shelf grab that set me off. If your animation clips through a solid object in order to perform its function your animation is garbage. Even if you're going to avoid going down the path of "it's the future use an automated device", you get a loving ladder or a step-box to elevate yourself so you grab the thing because otherwise it's physically impossible. This is such basic poo poo even a teenager stacking shelves in a supermarket (the people on lower wage some of the citizens like mock) could tell you why it doesn't work.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If Chris Roberts' team of 428 can manage to recreate a demo of No Man's Sky in CryEngine, after 6 years of development, we're all going to look so stupid.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It really was the top shelf grab that set me off. If your animation clips through a solid object in order to perform its function your animation is garbage. Even if you're going to avoid going down the path of "it's the future use an automated device", you get a loving ladder or a step-box to elevate yourself so you grab the thing because otherwise it's physically impossible. This is such basic poo poo even a teenager stacking shelves in a supermarket (the people on lower wage some of the citizens like mock) could tell you why it doesn't work.

They moved the shelf back in the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010