Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

TGLT posted:

gently caress, in Philemon Paul recaptures a fugitive slave for their master, further confirming he's basically the worst.

He also tells the master of that slave to treat said slave as "a brother in christ"

which most slave owners took to mean "if I make my slaves christian they'll have to serve me in heaven too!"

Of all points to make, Adam chose very poorly in the whole slave thing, because that was argued by christians right up into the 19th century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Pants Donkey posted:

Payne joining the Trump hill to die on.

But not McCoy, surprisingly.

We are living in magical times my friend.
I wonder if Trump will survive long enough to see every cartoonist getting sick of his poo poo.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

We are living in magical times my friend.
I wonder if Trump will survive long enough to see every cartoonist getting sick of his poo poo.

pretty sure Branco uses Trump's poo poo as a sandwich spread and has an apocalyptic lifetime supply

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

What specific sect of Christianity is Adam in exactly?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Baka-nin posted:

The Church of Smugger Day Saints

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

That comic reminds me of this clip which someone should tweet at adam

https://youtu.be/5-zhNiGlogQ

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Pants Donkey posted:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Pants Donkey posted:

I'm pretty sure this is one of those rare cases where McCoy seems to have published something sensible for once, but he actually means the exact opposite and we're just misinterpreting it.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm pretty sure this is one of those rare cases where McCoy seems to have published something sensible for once, but he actually means the exact opposite and we're just misinterpreting it.

A Glenn Comic

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

:yosbutt:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Office Pig posted:

This can't be real.

What do you know, even McCoy has some principles.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

TheFlyingLlama posted:

He also tells the master of that slave to treat said slave as "a brother in christ"

which most slave owners took to mean "if I make my slaves christian they'll have to serve me in heaven too!"

Of all points to make, Adam chose very poorly in the whole slave thing, because that was argued by christians right up into the 19th century

He probably chose that passage specifically because it's part of a section warning against doing convoluted lawyering with the laws of the Torah. He'd consider the justifications for slavery given by Christians (e.g. the whole Canaanites thing) to have been lawyering of that sort.

In general though nothing in the Bible is absolutely against slavery, it just has rules to follow if you're gonna do it.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Trump was right to fire Comey, because he had the authority to do so and his life (metaphorically?) was at stake. A Bad Cartoon.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Could McCoy get a secret service visit for that?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

Some dumb one that worships weird turn-of-the-century apologists

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Adam4d's idol, everyone (one of em, at least)

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Pakled posted:

Hmm yes, because as we all know, Russia's been covertly supporting left-wing parties.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SeANMcBAY posted:

Could McCoy get a secret service visit for that?

There's nothing illegal about saying he's going to be killed through capital punishment.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, we're at the point where people are being locked up for laughing or asking questions loudly, who the hell knows anymore.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Baka-nin posted:

I assume it's a Jack Chick-esque "we're the only true church" kinda denomination

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

If nothing else, this one acknowledges (probably by accident) that Comey learned of his firing from seeing it on TV. Because Trump.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Trump's hands are not bound. They are simply clasped behind his back as he conducts an inspection of the gallows, and disliking what he sees, fires the executioner for not having Hillary's head in the noose.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Remember that time Jesus healed a roman and his gay lover, because I'm reasonably sure I didn't make that up

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOY4Ka-GBus

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Daniel Henninger in the WSJ calls the Obama/Lynch decision to allow the NSA to spread raw intel to the other 16 agencies the Rosetta Stone for the Russia story:

As with Hillary’s server, there is a Rosetta Stone for the Russia story. It is the Barack Obama/Loretta Lynch decision in January to sign rules permitting the National Security Agency to disseminate “raw signals intelligence” to 16 other intelligence agencies without privacy protections for individuals.

Two months later, it was reported by the New York Times that Obama administration officials had done this to dispense information across the intelligence bureaucracies “about possible contacts between associates of President-elect Donald J. Trump and Russians.”

Of course, those “contacts” leaked into the water-collection barrels of the entire Washington press—either from officials inside 17 U.S. intelligence agencies or from Obama officials themselves, such as it-wasn’t-me Susan Rice.

The predictable tumult from the Obama-originated mass leaks then intimidated Congress into sending the House and Senate intelligence committees chasing after these “suggestions” of collusion.

Beyond Mike Flynn and Carter Page, why haven’t we seen more leaks pushing past the original stories? Why have the leakers gone silent, unless they leaked everything they had? Indeed why hasn’t there been a mega-dump into the press by now of all the original NSA “raw signals intelligence” à la the Pentagon Papers?

Instead, calls are now bubbling up from this swamp—what else can you call it?—to appoint a special prosecutor, presumably to get to the bottom of the Russian collusion swamp, though without subpoena powers in Moscow.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This is like the anthem of people who would rather disbelieve than learn when confronted by anything they don't understand. It should be pinned at the top of Tinsley's webpage.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

No, no, Tinsley, that's rule 34, not rule 22. Common mistake.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lol, you beat me to this one.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That McCoy just can't be real right? I feel like I saw it and my brain was like ERROR ERROR DOES NOT COMPUTE TIME TO DIE BWEHHHHHHH.

This is the same motherfucker who drew "just making sure there are no survivors" and scimitar-wielding terrorists flying judges into the twin towers.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That McCoy just can't be real right? I feel like I saw it and my brain was like ERROR ERROR DOES NOT COMPUTE TIME TO DIE BWEHHHHHHH.

This is the same motherfucker who drew "just making sure there are no survivors" and scimitar-wielding terrorists flying judges into the twin towers.

He's had a few other cartoons that were critical of Trump.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

He's a smarmy rear end in a top hat, but that doesn't indicate which side of the establishment Republican/Trump divide he falls on.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

mandatory lesbian posted:

the guy you're responding to wasn't saying that, which i'm only pointing out cause plenty of other people were

just call the actual dipshits dipshits, not the guy who was calling it hypocritical

I'm... I'm sorry. I picked the wrong post to respond to. I'm so tired of seeing requests for DbD to return. I lost it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ha ha, most people wouldn't notice this, but check out out how Adam4D had to specifically say chattel slavery. Even then, saying the Bible condemns chattel slavery is a half-truth. It condemns it...but only if the slave was Hebrew. The Law was totally cool with chattel slavery...as long as they were foreign.

Leviticus 25:44-46: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Hebrew slaves, on the other hand, could only be enslaved for six years, and were to be released on the seventh. The one exception to this is if the slave master gave the slave a wife, in which case the slave master keeps the woman and kids as his own wife and kids.

Exodus 21:1-4: "When you buy a male Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, but in the seventh he shall go out a free person, without debt. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master’s and he shall go out alone."

And while it was totally fine to buy and sell slaves, or will slaves to your children, it was forbidden to kidnap people to turn them into slaves.

Deuteronomy 24:7: " If someone is caught kidnapping another Israelite, enslaving or selling the Israelite, then that kidnapper shall die. So you shall purge the evil from your midst."

Also if one went to war and took a woman captive to be their slave and then didn't want her anymore, they were forbidden from selling her to another slave owner.

Deuteronomy 21:10-14: "When you go out to war against your enemies, and the Lord your God hands them over to you and you take them captive, suppose you see among the captives a beautiful woman whom you desire and want to marry, and so you bring her home to your house: she shall shave her head, pare her nails, discard her captive’s garb, and shall remain in your house a full month, mourning for her father and mother; after that you may go in to her and be her husband, and she shall be your wife. But if you are not satisfied with her, you shall let her go free and not sell her for money. You must not treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her."

So yeah, the Bible doesn't condone chattel slavery...if the slave was Hebrew! But it absolutely condones it if the slave is foreign.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Bicyclops posted:

He's a smarmy rear end in a top hat, but that doesn't indicate which side of the establishment Republican/Trump divide he falls on.
He doesn't like Trump, but he hates liberals.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

He doesn't like Trump, but he hates liberals.

McCoy, studying the Far Side cartoon he bases all of his drawings on and feeding pennies into his vintage racist coin bank: :smug: Perhaps the real truth... :smug: is in the middle? :smug:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Stefu posted:

Finns used to be big tough men, now we are apparently histrionic gay stereotypes.

Also the big tough man is using a saying I've not seen used ever without a seriously sarcastic tone of voice unless it's threatening a child with violence.

It's "either X or you cry and X".

... and I've never met a gay Finnish man who wouldn't kick your rear end for using it without sarcasm? Frankly the big tough man more resembles what I'd expect a Finnish gay dude to look like, apart from the words.

And nobody worth their salt would try to move a stone of that size without better techniques, jumping on it would just break the branch.

Almost as if the author just uses stereotypes to make people he hates look bad and doesn't know anything about anything. :monocle:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ha ha, most people wouldn't notice this, but check out out how Adam4D had to specifically say chattel slavery. Even then, saying the Bible condemns chattel slavery is a half-truth. It condemns it...but only if the slave was Hebrew. The Law was totally cool with chattel slavery...as long as they were foreign.

Leviticus 25:44-46: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Hebrew slaves, on the other hand, could only be enslaved for six years, and were to be released on the seventh. The one exception to this is if the slave master gave the slave a wife, in which case the slave master keeps the woman and kids as his own wife and kids.

Exodus 21:1-4: "When you buy a male Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, but in the seventh he shall go out a free person, without debt. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master’s and he shall go out alone."

And while it was totally fine to buy and sell slaves, or will slaves to your children, it was forbidden to kidnap people to turn them into slaves.

Deuteronomy 24:7: " If someone is caught kidnapping another Israelite, enslaving or selling the Israelite, then that kidnapper shall die. So you shall purge the evil from your midst."

Also if one went to war and took a woman captive to be their slave and then didn't want her anymore, they were forbidden from selling her to another slave owner.

Deuteronomy 21:10-14: "When you go out to war against your enemies, and the Lord your God hands them over to you and you take them captive, suppose you see among the captives a beautiful woman whom you desire and want to marry, and so you bring her home to your house: she shall shave her head, pare her nails, discard her captive’s garb, and shall remain in your house a full month, mourning for her father and mother; after that you may go in to her and be her husband, and she shall be your wife. But if you are not satisfied with her, you shall let her go free and not sell her for money. You must not treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her."

So yeah, the Bible doesn't condone chattel slavery...if the slave was Hebrew! But it absolutely condones it if the slave is foreign.

I especially like the last one's message of 'hey if you're going to kidnap a foreign lady as a sex slave, try not to be a dick about it'.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

There will always be gay people who don't give a gently caress what you think, Adam4DD; I hope for your sake that your endgame takes that into account.

isn't his endgame them going to hell, in that case??? not sure what else you want tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

• Locked thread