Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I had a guy do that, by the way, tell tales of the female friends who fell in love with him and begged him for sex. And I was like, "ok then" and then he got mad at me. Later he professed he was a virgin. I remain wholly mystified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTremendous
Jan 4, 2013

quote:

My [31F] partner [41M] told new neighbor to stay away from me for no reason, made even worse by his fetish.

So the neighbor is definitely black, right?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
My biological son invited himself to our family vacation. How do I un-invite him without hurting his feelings?

quote:

REQUIREMENTS
Ages: Me - 32 (M), Jack - 11 (M), Jack's Mother - 33 (F), Wife - 29 (F)

Length of Relationship: With Jack's Mother, 2 1/2 years. With my wife, 9 years. With Jack, ~10 years

TL:DR My 11 y.o. son from an earlier relationship thinks he is coming on our family vacation when he isn't. How do I tell him he isn't coming without hurting him?

BACKGROUND
When I was in college, I was in a very unhealthy relationship with a girl. We dated for about two years. Towards the end of our relationship she ended up getting pregnant and against my pleas she kept the child. We separated during the pregnancy. We have never been together since Jack was born and do not really get along. Jack just turned 11. I pay court-ordered child support and I see my son usually once a week on Sunday afternoons. We aren't close. I love him but its always been a stressful relationship. He is a very sweet kid and isn't dangerous or anything but its always uncomfortable. He is my son biologically but I don't have the same bond I have with him that I have with my younger kids.
A few years after I broke up with Jack's mother I met my current wife and we have been happily married for almost 9 years now. We have a 8 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. Our kids get along well enough with Jack but he is more like a distant cousin than their older brother. When I have Jack over I usually try to hang out with him one on one and we will play basketball or do something outdoors. I try not to have him around our kids because it would only hurt him. My wife and I have a home that is very typically suburban American - home in the suburbs, 2 parents, no fighting, and very peaceful. Jack's mother has a house that is a loving mess. Random men coming in and out and no stability. He is with his mother 95% of the time so I don't want to mess with what they have. I feel bad for him and his situation with his mother. I try to be there for him and I do little things for him like get him gifts and I try to make him feel cared about. I prefer that he doesn't call me "Dad" and he usually calls me by my first name. It just feels more fitting. In a lot of ways I think I am like his fun uncle more than his father.
I usually pick Jack up from his mother's at 9 in the morning and drop him off at 7 PM. The once a week works out well as it isn't too distracting for my home life and I can still see Jack. I'm not too eager to gain any more time with him. I have always been perfect about paying support on time and I think all things considered I have done an admirable job with him considering how his conception was not really a choice I supported.

The CONFLICT
In August I am taking my kids and my wife to Disneyworld. My kids are are super excited and we just told them last week. My 8 year old has been running around telling everyone how we are going to Disney. On Sunday I had to go to a lunch so I left Jack with my kids and wife for a couple hours. While I was gone our 8 year old told Jack about the vacation and somehow they both are under the impression Jack is coming with us.
I have no clue how to break it to Jack that he isn't coming with us. I feel awful. We should have been clearer with our kids about talking about the vacation. This is such a loving mess.
I don't even know if I legally am allowed to take Jack on a vacation across state lines overnight. Its not the money issue so much (but that is a factor) as much as it is I really want to spend some quality time with my kids. Having a third child there makes it so much tougher. I never told Jack he was coming and he just assumed he is coming. I'm not sure how exactly he figured he was coming but he thinks he is coming too as of now.
How can I let the boy know he isn't coming without hurting his feelings? I'm at a loss as how I do this without causing too much pain. I don't want to hurt his feelings.

EDIT

Can you all please stop downvoting me? It is making it awfully difficult to respond.

I mentioned this in a few posts but I wasn't asking about my relationship with Jack. I was only asking about what to do with this situation specifically.

A lot of people have advocated that I just stop seeing Jack at all. I want to only do what is the best for him and if my presence and spending time with my family is a negative it is something I would stop. I don't want to hurt him. Ending my visitation with Jack would save me time and money but I believe it would be wrong and unfair towards Jack. I'm not sure if people realize what a loving mess his mothers is. Spending one day a week with us is a respite for the boy. His mom has two other children that are younger than him. Both from different fathers - both of whom have no role whatsoever in their lives. His mother is basically an alcoholic and has awful taste in men. Coming to our home where he is happy and where I pay attention to him is good for him. He is happy when he is with us. Personally I think ending the once a week visitation we have would be terribly unfair to Jack but since people seemed to recommend it so much I will explore it some more. I'll talk it out with my wife and a couple other people whom I trust and try to make a decision on that soon. For everything you all say about me being some horrible person I do care about Jack. I spend thousands of dollars a year on child support and money on things I don't have to do. He is a huge basketball fan so I spend close to $400 out of hand for his birthday to take him to an NBA game. I do care about him and while I don't have as deep a bond with him as I do with my younger children I still do care about him and have love for him.
EDIT AM
I want to say I have read everything people have posted and a lot of it has impacted me. I want to do the right thing in this situation and I realize how much being denied coming is going to hurt Jack. I am going to review the custody agreement we have and see if taking him is possible, I am going to talk to his mother and see if she will approve, and I will talk to my wife and see if she approves. If those three things line up I will take Jack with us. Regardless of what happens in a week or so (or whenever this is resolved) I will post an UPDATE.

He didn't post an update other than the edit but lets take a look at some of his comments

quote:

quote:

But, your dynamic with him seems to be about "not wanting to remind him of what he doesn't have." Again, that's more about your feelings than his.
This is exactly my reasoning. I think its more for his benefit than my own. Lets say I take him on this vacation - which may or may not be possible - all it does is remind him of something he doesn't have and won't have. I really do think its better to not know what you are missing.
It is a tough situation and that is why I posted for advice. I'm actually a good guy trying to make the best of this. I was hoping people wouldn't give me simplistic advice and I saw a few posts where people were giving nuanced advice instead of generalities so I hoped I would have the same luck.

quote:

We all like Jack. I like Jack. My kids like Jack as a friend. That isn't what this is about it. I cannot be a father to him like I am to my kids with my wife. Its just a different relationship and different dynamic. I can be a positive male role model in his life and I am doing that. He needs my financial support and I give him that.

quote:

quote:

...but ditching him like those other guys wouldn't fit in with your good guy, suburban dad schtick, would it?
I think you need to see a mental health professional if you've seriously deluded yourself into thinking that seeing your child for less than 12 hours a week, never spending the night with him or going in vacation with him and not wanting him to call you Dad is for his benefit.
This whole story is totally hosed up.
I have to admit I chuckled at this. Guess who is a mental health professional?
I know this isn't an ideal situation. I know in my heart I've tried my best to make this work. I help support him. I try to be a positive role model when I am with him. If he needs anything I try to get it for him. I have been a net-positive in his life. I am a good person and I am trying to do right by Jack. I do what I can without sacrificing or hurting my family with my wife. Its a tightrope to walk sometimes.

quote:

Just to address your first point. I am much, much more established and mature than Jack's mother. Its not a huge surprise that a guy like you (a wittol/cuckold) would defend his mother but she is a huge mess. Its not even debatable. Her life is a train-wreck and I am not judging her when I say that. This is a woman who has always had issues with substances and who is an alcoholic. She has three children all by different men. She hasn't been in a committed serious relationship in years. Her life is in a mess because of her. Its not me mocking her. She has made awful choices and now its coming back to haunt her and hurt her children.
I really do feel for Jack and his pain is something that I am concerned about. I want to do what is best for him and I am going to spend some time trying to figure out what I want to do for the future with him.

quote:

I'm familiar with what a wittol is. I didn't go through his posting history - I have more important things to do. I just thought it was relevant since he was defending my ex with such vigor. His particular fetish might explain his enthusiasm for defending my ex. I didn't embarrass him. I just mentioned it and suggested it might have some role in his thoughts. If I was out to embarrass him I would have said something lovely to him about his fetish. I didn't do that.

Sorry for over highlighting but really the whole thing should be.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

I had a guy do that, by the way, tell tales of the female friends who fell in love with him and begged him for sex. And I was like, "ok then" and then he got mad at me. Later he professed he was a virgin. I remain wholly mystified.

Having tried to coach somebody through why this is a terrible, terrible idea it was because they wanted to seem desirable to have sex with and since they couldnt prove it by actually having sex, and you know improving oneself to be desireable is hard and requires admitting you have things you dont like about yourself, so they lied about it to try and skip that. This creates a death spiral they cant eacape from and ends in shame, confusion, and rejection as you noted.

TheTremendous posted:

So the neighbor is definitely black, right?

I was made to take training about the unconcious bias and decisions we make, learning about how we can identify blindspots in our preconcieved notions of the world, and yes the neighbor is black.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 18, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Barudak posted:

Having tried to coach somebody through why this is a terrible, terrible idea it was because they wanted to seem desirable to have sex with and since they couldnt prove it by actually having sex, and you know improving oneself to be desireable is hard and requires admitting you have things you dont like about yourself, so they lied about it to try and skip that. This creates a death spiral they cant eacape from and ends in shame, confusion, and rejection as you noted.
It's still better than the alternate ending, where they go on reddit and discover this mystical thing called "The Red Pill."

It also creates a death spiral, but with higher likelihood of them murdering a woman and wearing her as a coat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

My biological son invited himself to our family vacation. How do I un-invite him without hurting his feelings?

He didn't post an update other than the edit but lets take a look at some of his comments

This is exactly my reasoning. I think its more for his benefit than my own. Lets say I take him on this vacation - which may or may not be possible - all it does is remind him of something he doesn't have and won't have. I really do think its better to not know what you are missing.
It is a tough situation and that is why I posted for advice. I'm actually a good guy trying to make the best of this. I was hoping people wouldn't give me simplistic advice and I saw a few posts where people were giving nuanced advice instead of generalities so I hoped I would have the same luck.

quote:

I know this isn't an ideal situation. I know in my heart I've tried my best to make this work. I help support him. I try to be a positive role model when I am with him. If he needs anything I try to get it for him. I have been a net-positive in his life. I am a good person and I am trying to do right by Jack. I do what I can without sacrificing or hurting my family with my wife. Its a tightrope to walk sometimes.

:murder: !!!! :murder: :murder: :murder: !!!!!!!!!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dudeness, gently caress your story since Im treating it as true. I hope that guys family leaves him to die on the side of the road like a sick raccoon. gently caress.

Edit: Like, gently caress I want to find his kid and help raise him to become a high powered financial guru so he can financially ruin his father and separate him from everything he loves while telling him "it would have been better for you if you had never known the life you enjoyed because this wouldnt hurt"

Haifisch posted:

It's still better than the alternate ending, where they go on reddit and discover this mystical thing called "The Red Pill."

It also creates a death spiral, but with higher likelihood of them murdering a woman and wearing her as a coat.

Yeah, he pulled out fine with some coaching. Hes now of the kind of man unwelcome on incel boards.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 18, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Barudak posted:

Dudeness, gently caress your story since Im treating it as true. I hope that guys family leaves him to die on the side of the road like a sick raccoon. gently caress.

Yeah, he pulled out fine with some coaching. Hes now of the kind of man unwelcome on incel boards anymore.

Oh no, not a Chad!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I didn't even dislike him but it was a big turnoff even before he admitted he was lying. Because in my world, telling me about other girls you want to get with = you want to get with other girls (not me), so my interest, if there was any, disappears.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I [25F] recently found out that my fiance's [26m] friend [26m] is secretly gay and am uncomfortable with the way they "joke" with each other now

quote:

My SO and I have been together for three years, and were recently engaged.

His best friend "Bruce", has known my boyfriend since kindergarten, and I've known him for almost as long as I've known my boyfriend. Both of them are definitely the athletic "bro" type.

You know how a lot of straight guys do the hyperbolically fauxmo-erotic thing as some sort of weird male bonding ritual? gently caress if I get it, but I'm aware that a lot of guys do it, which is why this hasn't been a problem for me.

They'll call each other "their bitch" or "homo life partner", play "gay chicken" (where they slide a hand up each others thigh and see who stops first or move in for a kiss to see who pulls away first), accuse each other of "eye raping them" or "being obsessed with my bulge". (My BF also accuses me of "having a serious case of bulge obsession", which, yes, guilty and kind of funny)

Bruce has always had girlfriends, and has one right now. One of Bruce's ex-girlfriend's started working with me a few weeks ago, and we've become friends. She revealed to me that Bruce is, if not gay, than at least bisexual. She discovered text messages between him and another man that included nude photos, an app on his phone specifically for gay hookups, and an online dating profile seeking men. When she confronted him about it, he admitted that he was attracted to other men, and they broke up over it. At the time, she felt bad for him, and agreed not to out him.

My SO has no idea yet. I haven't told him. But, given what I've found out, I'm now uncomfortable with the kind of "joking around" that the two of them do. My brother is gay, and I know that outing someone is a pretty messed up thing to do, but I want the physical contact between them to stop. I'm okay with them being friends. They've been friends forever, he's been a good friend to my SO, and I would never "forbid" their friendship. I just don't want him groping my future husband.

This whole thing is difficult for me and I don't know how to go forward. I feel like I should tell my SO. I feel like Bruce's girlfriend, if she doesn't already know, deserves to know. But I also don't want to out him against his will.

Tl;dr: My SO and his best friend do the bromoerotic joking type stuff. I recently found out his best friend really is gay. I'm uncomfortable with how they joke around now. I don't want to out the guy, but I want him to stop touching my BF in a sexualized way. I also feel like my BF and his friend's girlfriend have a right to know.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Edit: Like, gently caress I want to find his kid and help raise him to become a high powered financial guru so he can financially ruin his father and separate him from everything he loves while telling him "it would have been better for you if you had never known the life you enjoyed because this wouldnt hurt"

I agree, it's the first story to make me angry in a long time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Recently I kind of made this new guy friend. He's about my age and we share the same career interests. We actually met over this online forum about our career interests. My new friend insisted we meet even though doing so was outside of my social comfort zone. However, we did meet and we had an intense four hour lunch together. He was so nice and treated me as if I was an old friend. In fact, he told me that I have another friend in him. I got a really good first impression of him.

After our first outing, I felt these strong feelings of brotherly affection toward my new friend that I have rarely felt before. I wanted to pursue a more intimate friendship with him. I also really believed that our meeting was "meant to be." My new friend and I also hung out a second time the next week for over two hours. Unfortunately, my Asperger's and my strong feelings for my friend led to me coming on strong to him in electronic communications. Eventually, my friend cut off contact with me. I've been trying to make up with my friend, but it's been very difficult.

I have realized that I was coming on way too strong to my friend and not respecting his "space." However the only reason that I came on strong is that my friend came on strong during our first outing and even before we met. I wanted to become really good friends with him and I sincerely believed (and still do to some extent ) that the feeling was mutual. However, now, I'm not sure what his intentions were and for all I know, he didn't even know what his own intentions were.

My friend knows that I have Asperger's. I mentioned it on that online forum before we first met. Unfortunately, my friend hasn't been able to accept my differences, mostly because we don't know each other very well. After I sent the text that made my friend cut off contact with me, I left several text and phone messages with him in which I tried to explain myself and open up to him more. I even said that I have trouble expressing myself to others and knowing how others will react to what I say and do. I was hoping that he would understand my differences better. However, this only made matters worse and likely made my friend more uncomfortable and even scared of interacting with me.

Almost two weeks after he cut off contact, he finally messaged me and told me that he understands that I have trouble making friends, but that doesn't give me the right to disrespect his feelings. However, if he really understood me and my differences , then he wouldn't have reacted the way that he did. And by the same token, if I really understood my friend and his differences, then I wouldn't have acted the way that I did.

I also believe that my friend has some kind of issues of his own, maybe even Asperger's or a similar condition. He came on strong during and before our first outing and was enjoying himself so much that he hung out with me for over four whole hours. But after our first outing, he sure didn't come on strong. I think that he may have simultaneously wanted to become friends with me and also became scared of getting close to me.

I just know that if I got my friend to willingly communicate and even meet with me again, then we could understand each other and our respective personal issues and differences better and become good friends. I think that both of us have problems with intimacy. But my big mistake was trying to rush the intimacy between us, even if it was only unintentional. Intimacy within all relationships should never be rushed and always needs to be given time to develop. And it's even more imperative to follow this advice when it's a platonic friendship between two straight men as straight men usually fear intimacy with other men.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Maybe the vacation can involve a lengthy road trip and they can push him out of a moving car without his wallet

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Pick posted:

Because it's men who stare at women who are passed out and think about how much they want to rape them.

You know I never really got why people detest you so much till just now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

dude I was quoting a guy who literally described doing that exact thing in this exact thread lmao

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Haifisch posted:

I [25F] recently found out that my fiance's [26m] friend [26m] is secretly gay and am uncomfortable with the way they "joke" with each other now

Umm... so the obvious answer is that the OP and the girlfriend are both beards and the dudes are loving like rabbits, right?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Haifisch posted:

The fiance knows. He wants the D.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

I found the best comment:

quote:

Well, quite frankly, if it's dick that "Bruce" and / or your "SO" are looking for, you're not equipped to compete.

If you want to share directly with Bruce what his ex is spreading around about him, that's a fair share.

Beyond that, telling others including your SO is toxic & destructive.

"Forbid"? Wow...

My mother tried that with me once regarding a perceived gay friend, and I looked her directly in the eyes & said, "I will disobey you, Mother. You will not forbid me to see anyone, and you will not choose my friends."
Continue down this path of insecurity, you may find yourself single & alone.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

maskenfreiheit posted:

that's like the time you've gotten moderated for being rapey - have you considered obtaining a reddit account?

(and not posting)

How is a story about him being raped "rapey"

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

dudeness posted:

I like how the guy keeps reiterating that he's a good person, a good dad, a positive role-model, making the best out of a difficult situation etc. He knows he's a piece of poo poo. It's like when obvious racists start a sentence with "I'm not racist, but".

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

It is important to detest women for pointing out when a man is rapey. That's a good reaction. Ignore the guy who got probated for the rapeyness, focus on the women here.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

dude I was quoting a guy who literally described doing that exact thing in this exact thread lmao

you think rape is bad. DETESTABLE.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pick posted:

oh ok. I missed the joke because I was too eager to get those sick owns

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

How is a story about him being raped "rapey"

my bad, he was racist then graduated to wanting to rape sleeping women. you have won an argument on the internet, your prize is... nothing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

oh ok. I missed the joke because I was too eager to get those sick owns

you're forgiven

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

maskenfreiheit posted:

my bad, he was racist then graduated to wanting to rape sleeping women. you have won an argument on the internet, your prize is... nothing

What the gently caress are you talking about

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

dudeness posted:

I guarantee that guy is playing fast and loose with that constitutes a mental health professional.

That "I am a net positive. I am a good person. I've done what I can" screams of being some litany he repeats to convince himself he isn't a douchebag that resents that poor kid for even existing.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Pvt.Scott posted:

Wide eyes means ready for action.

Can't believe you guys let this one slide, step it up guys.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm a good man. I just don't want my son to know that.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

posts. on the internet.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

jfc

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

maskenfreiheit posted:

posts. on the internet.

hosed up if true. It's amazing how being raped can sour you on the other gender

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

hosed up if true. It's amazing how being raped can sour you on the other gender

what the gently caress are you talking about

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt.Scott posted:

Let me know the next time your cat's fiancée decides to take your dick for a ride while you're passed out drunk on a futon.

Posts on the internet

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
this is the part where you screenshot exactly what you mean because the other person is mentally slow :)

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

maskenfreiheit posted:

this is the part where you screenshot exactly what you mean because the other person is mentally slow :)

Phone. Quote will have to do

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

Phone. Quote will have to do

stop posting

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

with all these layers of irony I can't tell whos raping who anymore.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

with all these layers of irony I can't tell whos raping who anymore.

in general, being raped in not a probatable offense... but making snarky redpill comments is.

you be the judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Submarine Sandpaper's last recorded post. Archived for posterity.

success! tbf my cat would do nothing but kneed on my leg when awake if able.