Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
And then he died on the way back to his MacGyver spin-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Han Solo, spinoff, surely.

Like, he's literally just Han Solo in Star Trek.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

WampaLord posted:

Han Solo, spinoff, surely.

Like, he's literally just Han Solo in Star Trek.

Except without the criminal background, monster sidekick, cool ship or casual violence!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Angry Salami posted:

Except without the criminal background, monster sidekick, cool ship or casual violence!

i.e. how future generations will remember Han Solo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbag posted:

I thought it was interesting that they chose to end the episode with Okona kickflipping away on his hoverboard while making the "smell you later" hand gesture and Geordie saying "something tells me we'll be seeing a lot more of him from now on."

TOS did the exact same thing with Gary Seven. "Assignment: Earth" ends with Kirk saying something like, "Well, Mr Spock, I'm sure Gary Seven and his friends will have many more adventures."

Imagine a Star Trek series produced by Lew Grade.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They had discussed doing a Gary Seven spinoff but I don't think that went far

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I liked that episode for being an absolutely transparent pilot for another Gene Roddenberry show; and, well,

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Knormal posted:

I think it was pretty drat insane of TOS to think we'd have suspended animation and interstellar travel thirty years from their air date. I know the space race was making all kinds of leaps and bounds, and maybe the general public had less of an idea of what those kinds of technologies would require, but here we are 50 years later and still I'd be astonished if we figure out suspended animation in our lifetimes. I suppose at least we could do sub-lightspeed interstellar travel if we really wanted to, and were really, really patient about it. Like "Hope you and the next 10 generations of your offspring don't mind living aboard this spaceship" patient. "Oh, and keep the plants alive or you'll all suffocate".

I think you're forgetting what the 80s-early 90s thought the ~2020s would be like, or did you cyberjack into the matrix to order your replicant mining force to work on Titan this morning? Hell, for that matter most of our current scifi treats ad hoc genetic engineering, all kinds of nanotech and automated robotic smart everything as just as obvious and miraculous as the 50s did flying cars and nuclear-powered homes. The projections that don't pan out always seem silly with enough hindsight -- or enough foresight to realize that every generation thinks they're on the cutting edge and have this whole "future" thing finally ironed out this time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yea, it's more funny that Star Trek predicted tablets with the PADDs, but it was clearly a throwaway thing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sir Lemming posted:

i.e. how future generations will remember Han Solo

Reminds me of a play somebody did of people retelling Simpsons episodes around a fire 100 years from now after society has collapsed.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

skooma512 posted:

Reminds me of a play somebody did of people retelling Simpsons episodes around a fire 100 years from now after society has collapsed.

Mr Burns: A Post Electric Play

The musical number in the second act is a little long but the reat is great.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

skooma512 posted:

There was something like that near the beginning of the movie Reign of Fire. Civilization's been destroyed for 20 or 30 years and there are small bands of survivors, trying to grow food without attracting the attention of the dragons. In one group, the adults are putting on a play to entertain and educate the children, staging a swordfight between a good guy and a bad guy. As we watch, we realize they're re-telling the lightsaber duel from The Empire Strikes Back. It's actually a really cool little moment, and it's a shame the rest of the movie doesn't live up to it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Powered Descent posted:

There was something like that near the beginning of the movie Reign of Fire. Civilization's been destroyed for 20 or 30 years and there are small bands of survivors, trying to grow food without attracting the attention of the dragons. In one group, the adults are putting on a play to entertain and educate the children, staging a swordfight between a good guy and a bad guy. As we watch, we realize they're re-telling the lightsaber duel from The Empire Strikes Back. It's actually a really cool little moment, and it's a shame the rest of the movie doesn't live up to it.

And then suddenly these Americans with a tank show up in the middle of the post-apocalyptic English countryside to save the day, for reasons.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drone posted:

And then suddenly these Americans with a tank show up in the middle of the post-apocalyptic English countryside to save the day, for reasons.

To this day Reign of Fire is the only movie I wish I'd walked out of the theater on.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

MikeJF posted:

The best part of the Outrageous Okona is when he and Worf flirt and make plans to hook up later.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I'm gonna say it, I like Okona and his stupid episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that his pizza? Then I'm outrageous whatever.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

skasion posted:

It is one of the better early TNG eps.

That is not a high bar to clear.

And it is also the one with the comedian subplot with Data. :gonk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can't be bothered to look up if they're the same person, but Okana always reminds me of the guy from Streets of Fire. They're both generic stubblemen and the supporting cast keeps trying to tell you how cool they are.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

WampaLord posted:

It is one of the better early TNG eps.

That is not a high bar to clear.

I dunno, man, season 2 actually has four or five pretty top shelf episodes and a handful that are mediocre to decent. I'd put Okona on the bottom of the pile even given the company he was in at the time. It'd be a pretty poor episode even relative to season 1 stuff.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
It's certainly my favourite marketing tie-in for the Nutrageous bar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WampaLord posted:

Yea, it's more funny that Star Trek predicted tablets with the PADDs, but it was clearly a throwaway thing.

Amazon is trying to get a $20 tablet to market, disposable PADDs are close.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It seems more likely that the PADDs inspired and drove the creation of tablet computers - it helped of course that the technology was already semi-there, as opposed to transporters and fusion power, which are still a little f urther off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A lot of technology gets inspired by science fiction. There was no reason for flip phones to exist but they looked like star trek communicators, so.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

I'm wondering if the original idea was for Okona to be the new Harry Mudd or Cyrano Jones, and recur every so often. This wouldn't surprise me, as they were hamfistedly aping TOS quite a bit in the beginning.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Started watching Babylon 5, having heard good things here.

Narn dude creeping on the telepath :stare:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tragedienne posted:

It's certainly my favourite marketing tie-in for the Nutrageous bar.

Wait what?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

A lot of technology gets inspired by science fiction. There was no reason for flip phones to exist but they looked like star trek communicators, so.
Flip phones were great because they covered the keypad to prevent butt dialing. Think of all the women all over the quadrant who would have gotten awkward background-noise calls if Kirk's communicator didn't have that cover on it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

"The Nutrageous Okona" was the original name for the episode. Okona originally had six sex scenes and they called him "nutrageous" because he was nutting all over the place. Hershey's made a candy bar to go along with the episode.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cojawfee posted:

"The Nutrageous Okona" was the original name for the episode. Okona originally had six sex scenes and they called him "nutrageous" because he was nutting all over the place. Hershey's made a candy bar to go along with the episode.

That had to use that title since "Space Seed" was already taken.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Reese's.

Huh. Didn't know til now that Hershey owned Reese's.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

Started watching Babylon 5, having heard good things here.

Narn dude creeping on the telepath :stare:

Come join us in the Babylon 5 thread.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Duckbag posted:

Voyager watch throughs are a rollercoaster.

Step one: huh, Caretaker is even shittier than I remembered.

Step two: So this first season is pretty bad, but there's more continuity than I remembered and some of the characters are growing on me.

Step three: What the gently caress did I just watch?

Step four: Ugh, Torres, Paris, and Kim spotlight episode, let's just skip ahead.

Step five: shows still bad, but I hey, serial killer guy, evil clown, SUBSPACE SCISSION, and Warlord Kes were kinda neat.

Step six: zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Step seven: welp Kes is gone hot Borg lady seems OK though.

Step eight: hey, it's Kurtwood Smith! Oh gently caress me it's just another time travel plot.

Step Nine: every episode is a Doctor/Seven episode and I don't even mind.

Step ten: OK, now I mind.

Step eleven: hey it's Barclay. Hi Barclay.

Step who cares, Paris just hosed a scaceship, Janeway's in love with a fake Irish stereotype, and the Doctor made fan fiction real.

Step gently caress counting: Toooo maaaaany two-parters.

Step.. you know what gently caress it, I'm just gonna pretend they died out there.

I am easing into step 10 right now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

24th Century Schizoid Man

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

God this episode is goofy. Mainly because of Graves.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

God this episode is goofy. Mainly because of Graves.

But... to know him is to love him is to know him. :confused:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I think it's hard the most ridiculous moments of any episode so far, other than Code of Honor obviously. Sampling:

- Graves saying "women aren't people"
- The ominous music when Grata whistle If I Only Had a Heart as if anyone hadn't figured it out at that point
- Speaking of which, Graves basically making no effort to conceal his identity
- Picard getting pissed at the funeral because Grata said too many nice things about Graves. Like I could understand if he was perplexed or had to gently stop Grata eventually but he was acting like he was going to dishonorably discharge him and forced him to apologize in the next scene
- Grata's over the top petulant excuse for why he knocked out Geordi ("they told me to come down... they should not have done that!")
- Graves finally giving up his plan because he might accidentally hurt people as if that would matter at all to a narcissist like him

I guess a lot of it could be explained if when Graves transferred his consciousness he'd already had the neurological damage from Draenei's disease so his digital self was frozen in that mentally ill state but that feels like giving the show way too much credit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Are there any bad Garak episodes, because I don't remember there being any.

Quickly running through my memory of the episodes where he stars or at least plays a major part, no, no there aren't. There's a few I remember that aren't amazing but nothing bad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

- Picard getting pissed at the funeral because Grata said too many nice things about Graves. Like I could understand if he was perplexed or had to gently stop Grata eventually but he was acting like he was going to dishonorably discharge him and forced him to apologize in the next scene

To be fair to Picard, Graves was an unbelievable rear end in a top hat hated by literally everyone (and I mean everyone) in the galaxy who had ever met him, so I'm sure Picard wanted the shortest most perfunctory service he could possibly justify to the guy's family, and the last thing he wanted to do was stand around listening to a rambling monologue about how great Graves supposedly was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Kibayasu posted:

Quickly running through my memory of the episodes where he stars or at least plays a major part, no, no there aren't. There's a few I remember that aren't amazing but nothing bad.

Mirror Garak, meanwhile, was a total waste... which, I suppose, makes thematic sense. Regular Garak's a multifaceted character with hidden depth and secret agendas, so the reverse is an utterly forgettable one-dimensional thug!