Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm old enough to remember when identifying with Queer had more to do with a general political stance and identification for both gay men and lesbians. It was also about reclaiming a word.

quote:

Why Queer
Well, yes, "gay " is great. It has its place. But when a lot of lesbians and gay men wake up in the morning we feel angry
and disgusted, not gay. So we've chosen to call ourselves queer. Using "queer" is a way of reminding us how we are
perceived by the rest of the world. It's a way of telling ourselves we don't have to be witty and charming people who
keep our lives discreet and marginalized in the straight world. We use queer as gay men loving lesbians and lesbians
loving being queer. Queer, unlike GAY, doesn't mean MALE. And when spoken to other gays and lesbians it's a way of
suggesting we close ranks, and forget (temporarily) our individual differences because we face a more insidious
common enemy. Yeah, QUEER can be a rough word but it is also a sly and ironic weapon we can steal from the
homophobe's hands and use against him.

http://www.actupny.org/documents/QueersReadThis.pdf

The term has evolved though to be a umbrella term for outside heteronormativity which is perfectly fine.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The reason medical companies charge so much in America is because they can. No other reason. In poorer nations they'll take whatever profit they can get based on what people can afford. In richer nations with functional governments they'll accept the arm twisting to not gouge people because their options are "a little profit but nothing too insane" and "make no profit because you aren't selling anything at all." The reason they detest the idea of UHC coming to America is because they can turbo gently caress Americans as hard as they want right now. They really can't get away with that anywhere else.

Yep. The Pharma lobby managed to bribe a law into place that the powerful country in the world is legally barred from negotiating drug prices which is pretty stunning.

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
The biggest problem with California's universal healthcare bill is that it's fucken expensive.

Funding just the healthcare itself is estimated to cost $400 billion per year. Cali's ENTIRE current state budget is about $180 billion per year.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article151960182.html

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Krispy Kareem posted:

There are country songs that glamorize farming. Western songs that beautify cattle ranching. Bluegrass songs that romanize moonshining. I have never heard a happy song about coal mining. Literally every one is, "work hard, get screwed, maybe die today, definitely black lung later".

And these are the jobs we're trying to save?

What about Sixteen Tons? Chain Gang? Black Lung Bugaloo?

There's also some amazing movies like Coal Miner's Daughter and Weird Science.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Grimdude posted:

Did he really just tweet "Make American great again!"?

Like, I get that it seems like Democrats like myself are constantly complaining about every little thing this man does, but maybe it's because he is literally at any given point being a ridiculous human being?

Voltaire posted:

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

OldMold posted:

The biggest problem with California's universal healthcare bill is that it's fucken expensive.

Funding just the healthcare itself is estimated to cost $400 billion per year. Cali's ENTIRE current state budget is about $180 billion per year.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article151960182.html

It is expensive, yes. It's also less expensive than healthcare in the state is right now; in total, money, and quite a lot of it, would be saved by single-payer. The issue is making a good way to collect that money, and one that people will find palatable; while, for example, some people spend 20% or more of their income on health insurance, they might not like the idea of a 15% payroll tax or whatever even though they actually save money as a result because, you know, they aren't buying health insurance now. Also the Republicans and some Democrats are trying to muddy the waters, making it even harder to sell.

Also, Macron had a response to Trump pulling out of Paris, on the above topic:

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/870407981044834304

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Looking forward to the Supreme Court decision where they decide no malice can be inferred from things Trump has said on his road to the Whitehouse including things that he planned to do when he got to the Whitehouse.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Not sure if this has been hashed out itt already. I'm not totally convinced but it's an interesting angle

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/870436143887777792

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also IIRC, after that tournament a bunch of changes were made because, unsurprisingly, not as many people wanted to watch their favorite fishermen catch the occasional drum or carp.

I love that this sentence exists.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Mendrian posted:

Looking forward to the Supreme Court decision where they decide no malice can be inferred from things Trump has said on his road to the Whitehouse including things that he planned to do when he got to the Whitehouse.

5-4 against the Muslim ban, all the liberals plus Thomas who writes a concurring statement that the ruling doesn't go far enough because it doesn't recognize that immigration should be wholly up to state governments without any interference from the President or Congress and furthermore maybe the federal government shouldn't exist.

Roberts' dissent: we can never really know whether the thing the president called "The Muslim Ban" could be motivated by unconstitutional religious animus, because the president makes up new words all the time so for all we know "Themuslimban" is a new word that sounds illegal purely by coincidence. And even if not, can we ever really know things. Really. Makes u think

E. Gorsuch's dissent: has anyone tried reading the law? What if we all just read the law, that would clear things right up I bet. Hey has anyone read the constitution, might try that too. What are we even doing arguing in this courtroom, why do we even have this when everyone could just go read the law.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 2, 2017

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Also, Macron had a response to Trump pulling out of Paris, on the above topic:

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/870407981044834304

First the Scandanavians, now this. I'm excited to watch every European leader dunk on Trump for the next four years.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

voltroon posted:

First the Scandanavians, now this. I'm excited to watch every European leader dunk on Trump for the next four years.

Watch all of the EU leaders get a Nobel prize for not being Trump.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Iron Lung posted:

Please don't clink shame.

:perfect:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

voltroon posted:

I would not be surprised in the slightest if within the next two years we actually go from a G7 partnership to a G6 as Europe, Japan and Canada kick the United States out of the G7 ala Russia and the G8. Or, gently caress, even swap in China for America because China is literally a better faith actor and on its way to having a stronger economy than the United States is/does for the foreseeable future.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

voltroon posted:

What did the Scandinavians do?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

What did the Scandinavians do?

Their PMs all got together and recreated the Orb photo with them all holding a soccer ball ominously.

E: This
https://www.twitter.com/nordenen/status/869480526905782272
:orb:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 2, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

nine-gear crow posted:

Their PMs all got together and recreated the Orb photo with them all holding a soccer ball ominously.

E: This
https://www.twitter.com/nordenen/status/869480526905782272
:orb:

Omg, this was REAL? I saw it and assumed it was a good photoshop.

Löfven just got a whole lot more awesome.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
DIMMs are vital to computing. Volatile memory is awesome in computing and terrifying in politics

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Doesn't the bill have to pass with a veto-proof majority already because California's dumbass Constitution has a supermajority requirement for all revenue?

Why wouldn't they just pass it again over the governor's veto.

The version that just passed the senate doesn't actually have any mechanism (ie: taxes) to pay for itself, so :shrug:

The nurses are floating a 2.25% sales tax with the same rate levied on business revenue which would neither pass with a 2/3 majority nor survive moonbeam's veto. Dude doesn't gently caress around with the budget.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Haha, our prime minister here in Belgium is calling for economic sanctions against the US for abandoning the Paris accords. I'm sure this will amount to nothing cause it'd be economic suicide, but it's very telling of how deep the decision has cut.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Way to lump them all together you bigot, there are DIMMs of colors, speeds, slot types, bus widths and capacity. Short DIMMs, long DIMMS, double-sided, with and without heat spreaders. The amount of ignorance on display is appalling and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

nimby posted:

Haha, our prime minister here in Belgium is calling for economic sanctions against the US for abandoning the Paris accords. I'm sure this will amount to nothing cause it'd be economic suicide, but it's very telling of how deep the decision has cut.
By itself it would mean nothing, but I think that dropping out of the Paris Accord, along with Trump's embarrassing European trip, will be a watershed moment for how the world will treat the U.S. from now on. The rest of the world can no longer trust America to be able to keep up its end of any deal that has a lifetime beyond the next election.

The U.S. may still be the big dog on the world stage, but everyone else collectively can work around us if they have to.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So dumb question but where did the anti-recycling/gently caress the environment mindset originate from? what year or group did it start in?

I assume it's grounded a bit in a religious mindset because they think God will pick up the trash they throw out the car window on the highway and a bit in the America is a perfect land of endless bounty mindset and if it was possible for america to run out of resources it wouldn't be perfect therefore recycling is blasphemy.

Just seems a bit funny for conservatives to get furiously anger at the idea of conservation.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So dumb question but where did the anti-recycling/gently caress the environment mindset originate from? what year or group did it start in?

I assume it's grounded a bit in a religious mindset because they think God will pick up the trash they throw out the car window on the highway and a bit in the America is a perfect land of endless bounty mindset and if it was possible for america to run out of resources it wouldn't be perfect therefore recycling is blasphemy.

Just seems a bit funny for conservatives to get furiously anger at the idea of conservation.

I'd assume it is a "We hate the democrats, the democrats like the environment, therefore we hate the environment" and "companies will pay us to tear down environmental protections so they can make more money by polluting everything, so let's pretend we have some beliefs to back that up" combo.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's based upon the standard GOP orthodoxy:
- More money for us
- gently caress you

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RandomBlue posted:

What about Sixteen Tons? Chain Gang? Black Lung Bugaloo?

There's also some amazing movies like Coal Miner's Daughter and Weird Science.

Are you saying these are happy songs?

Pretty sure the post you're quoting was explicitly referring to Sixteen Tons at least.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Yvonmukluk posted:

- More money for us
- gently caress you

In recent years, I think 'gently caress you' is now top priority, and 'more money for us' is a distant second.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ratoslov posted:

In recent years, I think 'gently caress you' is now top priority, and 'more money for us' is a distant second.

Republicans are anarchists.

E:

Feudal anarchists! :suicide:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Lars Løkke is a libertarian poo poo bag though.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

nimby posted:

Not finding anything on this, could you provide a link?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Elon Musk finally realizes Trump really is too dumb to advice:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/870369915894546432

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I suspect even scandinavian libertarian shitbags would be too liberal for the average republican in the US

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

evilmiera posted:

Elon Musk finally realizes Trump really is too dumb to advice:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/870369915894546432

*Trump cuts off his subsidies*

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Not finding anything on this, could you provide a link?

I haven't found an English site, so you'll have to make do with our glorious Dutch language here. It's got a great old-man grampa picture of Trump, as well.

Economische sancties translates to economic sanctions, obviously.

The gist of it is that the government is considering sanctions due to 'climate dumping'. That'd mean the US would have to pay because its companies would be getting an unfair advantage by abusing the environment.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

- More money for us
- gently caress you

Well, yeah, but how do they get the regular folks on board with it, are they all longing for the days with lead in everything including the gas exhaust in the air and uranium in the glow-in-the-dark paint or do they just think God would never let them run out of resources so recycling is for none-believers?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sarcopenia posted:

Lars Løkke is a libertarian poo poo bag though.

At least he's just typically villainous for a politician, not worldbreakingly so.

Shame that we vote for parties, not candidates, so Løkke will be around 'til he's fed up.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

THE BAR posted:

Shame that we vote for parties, not candidates

You mean like American elections?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Well, yeah, but how do they get the regular folks on board with it, are they all longing for the days with lead in everything including the gas exhaust in the air and uranium in the glow-in-the-dark paint or do they just think God would never let them run out of resources so recycling is for none-believers?

Regular folks are fine with whatever makes liberals mad

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Boomers already have lead-damaged brains so it's easy to trick them into breathing more lead by telling them it makes race traitors mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Fastest debasement of a superpower on the world scene ever. I live on a coast, motherfuckers, US going all coal roller is going to affect me too!

Oh well, there's always the Chinese and Germans. Ni hao mein Führer's, I don't exactly agree with the Party and Mother Europe on everything but terrible swimmers can't be choosers...

• Locked thread