Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

terrorist ambulance posted:

Yeah well the content of twitch chat or any other place gamers congregate or talk with you disagrees with you.

Gamergate is 1 to 1 crossover with alt right pepe trump poo poo and is a substantial portion of the "gamer" population. Community os seroously rotten

Whereas you get your rear end down to a Texas A&M tailgate party the day of the big game, all you're going to hear is "Now, I think these Black Lives Matters folks just an't being shown enough respect" and "If one of them muslims ever comes into our neighborhood, we gotta get together, and throw them a big ol' welcome barbecue. With beef and chicken only, mind, and non-alcoholic beers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

TARDISman posted:

Terry Crews was decent on Newsroom then he up and disappeared for no reason. gently caress The Newsroom.

He's been great on Brooklyn 9-9, so that's fun. Also, the two weeks or however long they had his voice for Waze navigation was goddamn magical.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I loved mountain chat. I laugh every time someone mentions it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tatsuta Age posted:

The .1% are pretty highly into it, they either make a bunch of money off the system or can afford to fly private anyway

I don't even think that is true. The constituency is probably just like 3-4 airline CEO's.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mcmagic posted:

There is zero constituency for privatizing Air Traffic Control...

Sorry I thought you were implying that this was just a distraction on his behalf in hopes that they could sneak something different through in the background.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tatsuta Age posted:

The .1% are pretty highly into it, they either make a bunch of money off the system or can afford to fly private anyway

General aviation and unscheduled air carrier (private jets) would get crushed with fees under privatized ATC. The rules would be mostly dictated by the major airlines and they hate the fact that they share the national air space with private operators.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Yeah, when you actively have to seek out places that aren't filled with racist/sexist/homophobic garbage if you want any kind of community, there's a problem. People who don't want to deal with poo poo find their own enclaves and a lot of others just sit back and enable it by doing nothing.

The best/most ironic part of this is those who fight back against it get called out as being a "white knight" and almost every time a dude defends a woman being harassed online it's because "you just want to gently caress her." Since the only worth they see in women is as a sex object, they assume every other dude sees them the same as they do.

It's one of the most telling things male online harassers do. That and calling women :females: like a loving Ferengi, because again, to them women aren't the same level of human as they are.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I don't even think that is true. The constituency is probably just like 3-4 airline CEO's.

There will be reflexive approval from bog standard republicans who get had at the mention of privatization .

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Whereas you get your rear end down to a Texas A&M tailgate party the day of the big game, all you're going to hear is "Now, I think these Black Lives Matters folks just an't being shown enough respect" and "If one of them muslims ever comes into our neighborhood, we gotta get together, and throw them a big ol' welcome barbecue. With beef and chicken only, mind, and non-alcoholic beers."

It's almost as if all hobbies/activities dominated by white men are filled with reprehensible idiots...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

axeil posted:

It's one of the most telling things male online harassers do. That and calling women :females: like a loving Ferengi, because again, to them women aren't the same level of human as they are.

See here's another perfectly good and ordinary word turned into something lovely by gamer culture people, right after they did it to "gamer".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FizFashizzle posted:

There will be reflexive approval from bog standard republicans who get had at the mention of privatization .

It has to be some ninja ALEC poo poo. The first I'm hearing about it is today and Trump clearly didn't campaign on it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

axeil posted:

The real issue is any nerd/male-dominated hobby seems to be utter opposed to any attempt at change or god forbid, women showing an interest and react violently to it. You don't see people sending in bomb threats because a woman showed an interest in craft beer. But with comic books, D&D, video games, sports, etc., that sort of violent, childish tantrum is common. And if it isn't violence it's being a complete and utter creep, gatekeeping and driving out any poor women who show the slightest desire to get involved.

Like I said, poo poo got bad in 1985 when Nintendo decided to make gaming a boys only activity.

axeil posted:

The best/most ironic part of this is those who fight back against it get called out as being a "white knight" and almost every time a dude defends a woman being harassed online it's because "you just want to gently caress her." Since the only worth they see in women is as a sex object, they assume every other dude sees them the same as they do.

Eh, lets be real, there are some nice guy dipshits who think that assisting a woman entitles them to sex. Anytime a guy calls another guy a white knight, its a surefire sign that the one doing the calling is an rear end in a top hat, but there are some guys who have grown up with that mindset.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Chilichimp posted:

There has to be a better phrase to describe the Jontrons of the world other than "gamers".

I once saw someone suggest "cliff racers" for obnoxious douchefucks like that. Honestly, I'd have to agree.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

mcmagic posted:

It has to be some ninja ALEC poo poo. The first I'm hearing about it is today and Trump clearly didn't campaign on it.

In general his 'infrastructure' stuff all appears to be 'sell it to private interests'.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Evan_Rosenfeld/status/871535548849995776

🇩🇪:hf::smugdon:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

axeil posted:

It's almost as if all hobbies/activities dominated by white men are filled with reprehensible idiots...

Yeah, thats my point. People are acting as if gaming is the only hobby that attracts pieces of poo poo. Pretty much male power fantasy that defers the illusion of power by proxy (comic books, sports, conservative politics) is gonna attract jagoffs.

Pikavangelist posted:

I once saw someone suggest "cliff racers" for obnoxious douchefucks like that. Honestly, I'd have to agree.

....I don't get it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Like I said, poo poo got bad in 1985 when Nintendo decided to make gaming a boys only activity.

Eh, lets be real, there are some nice guy dipshits who think that assisting a woman entitles them to sex. Anytime a guy calls another guy a white knight, its a surefire sign that the one doing the calling is an rear end in a top hat, but there are some guys who have grown up with that mindset.

1. Wait, tell me more about this Nintendo making gaming a boys-only thing? I had no clue, I thought it was just games in the 90s being hyper-violent attracted more boys than girls and then male desire to keep women out is how things got to where they are.

2. This is also true. Gamers, "nice guys", gamergaters, red pillers, and the alt-right are just varying stages of descent into madness. The only good news, I suppose, is that it's possible to save these people from their own delusions, although with every step it becomes more difficult to get them to realize what they are. No one changes unless they want to.

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, thats my point. People are acting as if gaming is the only hobby that attracts pieces of poo poo. Pretty much male power fantasy that defers the illusion of power by proxy (comic books, sports, conservative politics) is gonna attract jagoffs.

....I don't get it.

Ah, gotcha.

Cliff racers are (were?) super annoying enemies in I think the third Elder Scrolls game that you had to fight all the time and were very tedious and annoying while providing no real value or challenge to the game. It's an apt metaphor for those sorts of people, although I have never played the game the reference is from.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

axeil posted:

It's still better than doing nothing, for the woman anyway. I'm guessing there aren't good ways to kick assholes from groups like that. I dunno, I don't really play with people online outside of WoW and that's only because I found a nice group on the gay server.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Maybe I'm thinking of Swiss banks, but isn't that pretty routine for a lot of overseas banks? Respecting the privacy of their clients or some such?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Cliffracers

Fulchrum posted:

....I don't get it.

Morrowind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4rXsrZRchQ

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

....I don't get it.

Cliff racers became a meme because they were the shittiest, most obnoxious enemies in the Elder Scrolls universe.

They still hold that title across 5+ games set in that universe.

E:F;B considerably, but still

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

https://twitter.com/AP/status/871561936147820545

how will this impact the world cup

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Pikavangelist posted:

Perhaps you are hoping for the salvation of Saint Jiub?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I guess they got that memo to ignore democrat requests too.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

strap in to see how trump handles this one folks

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dogwood Fleet posted:

It's still better than doing nothing, for the woman anyway. I'm guessing there aren't good ways to kick assholes from groups like that. I dunno, I don't really play with people online outside of WoW and that's only because I found a nice group on the gay server.

D&D and tabletop gaming are getting a lot better about kicking out absolutely unrepentant assholes which is pretty much the only way you can deal with them if/when they don't listen to social pressure to not be a shithead. Unfortunately there is usually a lot of let's-not-rock-the-boat-ism in groups so things that should absolutely not be tolerated go on for way too long because no one wants to be "mean" by telling Tony the Troglodyte he's not welcome any more.

Unfortunately this is a lot harder with public servers and short, one-time-only match-ups.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of Swiss banks, but isn't that pretty routine for a lot of overseas banks? Respecting the privacy of their clients or some such?

It would (probably) never happen but it would be hilarious if Merkel leaned on Deutsche Bank to cooperate.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fulchrum posted:

My sense has been that "gamers" are just in that sweet spot between cultural acceptance and niche hobby that allows it to be really toxic in a really exposed and meaningful light with little pushback. Like, there's no doubt that there's tons and tons of nasty poo poo in sports but also the overwhelming majority of people in my life engage with sports somewhere or another, whether its following their teams or tuning in for the big stuff. So the toxic poo poo gets diluted down a bit. Where as comic fans are horrible but they're also such social pariahs that they don't have any cultural cache. Gamers seem to have found themselves in that middle ground where like gaming is enough of a common part of modern society but most people don't really engage in it much at all. So you got the obsessive assholes dominating it.

But I haven't studied poo poo or anything. These are just my perceptions based on my own myopic world view.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

axeil posted:

D&D and tabletop gaming are getting a lot better about kicking out absolutely unrepentant assholes which is pretty much the only way you can deal with them if/when they don't listen to social pressure to not be a shithead.

Agreed. We have a huge board gaming community in Orlando and it's super diverse in every way, we don't put up with any bullshit.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

axeil posted:

1. Wait, tell me more about this Nintendo making gaming a boys-only thing? I had no clue, I thought it was just games in the 90s being hyper-violent attracted more boys than girls and then male desire to keep women out is how things got to where they are.

Toy marketing was and is still heavily gender-biased, whenever something gets into the hands of marketers in any company they immediately decide to sell it either to girls or to boys. Nintendo decided, for the sake of sales, to legally classify the NES as a toy/entertainment product rather than a personal computer to take advantage of a wider market, and it got hit with the industry's practices.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

not to interrupt gaming chat, but this poo poo got even more real https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeStJournal/status/871562296774070273

can't wait to see dear leaders take

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Mister Olympus posted:

Toy marketing was and is still heavily gender-biased, whenever something gets into the hands of marketers in any company they immediately decide to sell it either to girls or to boys. Nintendo decided, for the sake of sales, to legally classify the NES as a toy/entertainment product rather than a personal computer to take advantage of a wider market, and it got hit with the industry's practices.

But most pre-Nintendo consoles were firmly in the toy/entertainment market and personal computers at the time were heavily slanted toward a male nerd demographic anyway. I don't see what really changed there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

stone cold posted:

not to interrupt gaming chat, but this poo poo got even more real https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeStJournal/status/871562296774070273

So, uh, what the gently caress is going on?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

stone cold posted:

This may be more important than video games.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

stone cold posted:

:stare: Uh this seems like a real big deal. What the gently caress did Qatar do (this time)? Did they start treating Gulf State citizens like slaves like they do to people from elsewhere in Asia?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Dogwood Fleet posted:

qatar is a country built on the backs of slaves, nothing of value will be lost

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Night10194 posted:

So, uh, what the gently caress is going on?

axeil posted:

:stare: Uh this seems like a real big deal. What the gently caress did Qatar do (this time)? Did they start treating Gulf State citizens like slaves like they do to people from elsewhere in Asia?

Al-Saqr posted:

this is a giant giant incident, like, holy cow I've never seen such a suddent and inexplainable breakdown in gulf relations like this, I wish there was some clue as to what really happened!

No, this is different, like a complete total and public breakdown like this is unprecedented, the last time a massive cutoff of a gulf country happened was when Iraq invaded Kuwait. something big is going on, usually it's less public and more hidden.

Al-Saqr posted:

Now Egypt, which is essentially a slave state, has followed suit with their masters in the gulf and cut off relations with Qatar.

some clues are appearing, apparently some leaks have happened with the private communications of the Emirati ambassador to the U.S. that revealed some embarrassing stuff and they're blaming Qatar for it? That's so far what might explain it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

stone cold posted:

Hmm Saudis trying to break Qatars independence. The dipomatic conflict between the two has been been at a high simmer, wonder what caused it to explode. Keep eye out for actions by Kuwait, Jordan or Oman. In any case with our highly professional and well staffed State department Im sure. ...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Does Qatar even have an army?

All of those countries are expelling ALL Qatari citizens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Whoa let's not get crazy here!

• Locked thread