Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Raylen posted:

Yeah, he's still playing to his base which is loving weird because if voter turnout for the left increases in 2018, the GOP is going to lose their majorities.

e: if anything, this is helping to add fuel to the "resistance". He's ignoring large swaths of the electorate to further his grand conspiracy theories about the deep state and obstructionist Democrats.

I won't hold my breath. We Americans can be really stupid, especially the ones that voted for the Orange One and are in total shock it is destroying their lives despite him running on the particular issues that effects them
"You're deporting my husband? But that's not what I voted for you for"
"You're taking away my insurance? That's not what I voted for you for"
"You're being a baby/spoiled child? But you were supposed to change the way you've acted for 70 years when I voted for you"
Let's face it, we can be really really dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

if fox news didn't exist trump'd be at <20 approval rating (and yeah i know he wouldn't be prez if fox news didn't exist).

Yeah, that's an important point - to the extent that Trump still has support, it's mainly because he has a right-wing propaganda network in his corner desperately doing everything in its power to prop him up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also that it made millions of people incredibly stupid over a couple of decades leading up to his ascent.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The right-wing propaganda networks are currently taking on water because it's hard for them to keep the outrage machine running when they're in power.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The right-wing propaganda networks are currently taking on water because it's hard for them to keep the outrage machine running when they're in power.

They're currently taking on water because their dog whistling has ceased to be inaudible and advertisers are jumping ship. Just look at Breitbart losing 90% of its advertisers.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Groovelord Neato posted:

also that it made millions of people incredibly stupid over a couple of decades leading up to his ascent.

See, I can't agree with this. Before, these people were just as stupid, but just in quiet agony.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

nothing's happened, Trump is golfing, wait for the early a.m. tweet dump tomorrow

he's no joke at his NJ club again this weekend

https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/873896565252947968

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

everyone who goes to any of his clubs should be sent to the loving gulag.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

wasn't there a property that specifically used this as a marketing ploy

historians and investigators are going to spend decades unraveling how much this idiot used the office to profit

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Party Plane Jones posted:

They're currently taking on water because their dog whistling has ceased to be inaudible and advertisers are jumping ship. Just look at Breitbart losing 90% of its advertisers.

It's more than that. It's also 'Interesting stuff is happening and we are trying to cover it by not actually covering any of the interesting stuff' which is leading to viewers stepping outside to other sources. And Fox relies a LOT on the fact that most of its viewers exclusively watch RWM. Everyone who steps outside of the RWM environment is a potential hit to them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

In a normal world I'd be mad about this but at this point I'm like "well at least he's not hurting anyone here"

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, that's an important point - to the extent that Trump still has support, it's mainly because he has a right-wing propaganda network in his corner desperately doing everything in its power to prop him up.

Said right wing propaganda network (and associated radio friends) unfortunately holds 30-35% of the nation's regular voting population in cult-like thrall though.

Until the echo chamber of hate implodes I can't see this country getting any less goddamn crazy. They're just way too good at repeating and reinforcing effective talking points at their audience, who then regurgitate said talking points to their friends on facebook or email chains. At this point right-wing media is more of a religion than any religious group in this country. People define their entire worldview based on that poisonous poo poo.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In a normal world I'd be mad about this but at this point I'm like "well at least he's not hurting anyone here"

Seriously lets start like a GoFundMe or something for enough money to keep him distracted trying to profit off the Presidency instead of actually signing any bills.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

I bet he told one of his Secret Service dudes that he was gonna invoke jus primae noctis until an aide had to tell him it wasn't a real thing and super illegal.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

i get furious at all of it. even the tiniest bit of what he does pisses me the gently caress off. i wish it didn't but it do. and i want that bride and groom to loving choke.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
They released marketing materials like a month ago saying this exact thing would happen if you got married on Trump properties and he was there.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

i get furious at all of it. even the tiniest bit of what he does pisses me the gently caress off. i wish it didn't but it do. and i want that bride and groom to loving choke.

Calm the gently caress down. Being that pissed does nothing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they 100 percent voted for trump and are making him materially richer. also took a smiling photograph with him.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

skylined! posted:

wasn't there a property that specifically used this as a marketing ploy

historians and investigators are going to spend decades unraveling how much this idiot used the office to profit

He did this at Mar a Lago too, and immediately doubled membership fees when he became president.

It's kind of funny that his second most famous property has a Spanish name.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/873979662849933312
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/874002807615041536
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/873959130477858816
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/873959328503418880
https://twitter.com/ChaseCherub/status/873962077198667777
https://twitter.com/crooksandliars/status/873984947773689856
https://twitter.com/BruceBartlett/status/873994504386342912
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/873973057270022144

Bad news for the resident alcoholics:
https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/873963042337325058

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 11, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/dabeard/status/873927024712306689

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you asked trump how many branches the government has he couldn't answer.

Only because he heard the word "branches" and is now rambling on about oak trees and the best trees he's seen

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

he's hurting other wedding venues by using the office of the president as marketing for his own venues. Obviously not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but still.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

awesmoe posted:

he's hurting other wedding venues by using the office of the president as marketing for his own venues. Obviously not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but still.

The only deal in the grand scheme of things: having a wedding at a Trump owned property deserves a guillotine.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

enraged_camel posted:

It's not terrifying, it's exciting as hell. Every person they fire would potentially become an incredible source for the media. I mean Comey's firing pissed off MANY people at the FBI, even though the FBI is traditionally conservative. Think about what would happen if there was some sort of mass purge at the DOJ.

Bizzaro Stalin runs the WH?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So whats this about La Pen's party getting its poo poo pushed in?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The problem with Donnie wedding bombing someone is that he probably does it at the drop of the pin so his Secret Service loses him for a few mins.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

And yet a life of teetotaling hasn't kept Trump's brain from turning to mush...

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

What they don't show is everyone furiously scrubbing his fail tan off themselves later while the groom sticks a pistol in his mouth

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Gort posted:

So... uh, what happens if he fires Mueller? Obviously it makes him look guilty as poo poo, but surely there isn't someone on the planet who thinks he's innocent, just those who want to forgive him for his crimes.

Best universe: A bunch of Republicans mumble about it's Trump's right, he's just new, it's fine; but a few actually speak up about it being beyond the line. Subsequent polling numbers show people turning on Trump massively as even people who don't pay attention/want to give him the benefit of the doubt notice and dislike it, and more GOP Congresspersons come out condemning it and talking repercussions until momentum actually builds for impeachment.

Okay universe: A bunch of Republicans mumble about it's Trump's right, he's just new, it's fine; but a few actually speak up about it being beyond the line. Subsequent polling numbers show some people turning on Trump massively as even people who don't pay attention/want to give him the benefit of the doubt notice and dislike it, but the GOP has too much sunk cost/Stockholm Syndrome to do anything, and Democrats win heavily in 2018 on a wave of revulsion.

Actual universe: bunch of Republicans mumble about it's Trump's right, he's just new, it's fine; but a few actually speak up about it being beyond the line. Subsequent polling numbers show some people turning on Trump massively as even people who don't pay attention/want to give him the benefit of the doubt notice and dislike it, but the GOP has too much sunk cost/Stockholm Syndrome to do anything. Democrats lose heavily in 2018 because their base turns on them for not having impeached Trump yet/haven't admitted Bernie would have won/don't care about midterms because why would you?

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

There are multiple Defense programs that run counter to Trump and his idiocy. For example, Nellis AFB outside Las Vegas has a solar power plant that provides more than 25% of it's entire annual energy consumption. And not to mention that Trump still doesn't seem to realize that the largest CENTCOM base is in Qatar.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

The only deal in the grand scheme of things: having a wedding at a Trump owned property deserves a guillotine.

and you told me to be calm!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Raylen posted:

I bet he told one of his Secret Service dudes that he was gonna invoke jus primae noctis until an aide had to tell him it wasn't a real thing and super illegal.

Songs like You're So Vain were written about people like Trump, so we've really moved past having to write that sort of thing into law.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

HappyHippo posted:

And yet a life of teetotaling hasn't kept Trump's brain from turning to mush...

If it didn't we wouldn't be making fun of how stupid Trump is on an hourly basis

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/874004561199067139

:getin:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the only positive i can see coming out of this admin is the dismantling of the imperial presidency. but hope is a lie.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

and you told me to be calm!

They'd get a trial at least.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

They're getting tired of all the whining winning.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

how's that wall coming, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Raylen posted:

There are multiple Defense programs that run counter to Trump and his idiocy. For example, Nellis AFB outside Las Vegas has a solar power plant that provides more than 25% of it's entire annual energy consumption. And not to mention that Trump still doesn't seem to realize that the largest CENTCOM base is in Qatar.

I've been to a lot of air force bases to analyze their electrical distribution, and yeah, their focus is largely on efficiency, stability, and increased usage of renewables. It's hard to run more than about 10% of a base through solar for Reasons, but the philosophy is in place.

It's really a case of the emperor vs his subjects here.

• Locked thread