Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Control Volume posted:

PLEASE do not troll the final fantasy 14 stormblood thread

Verily pray thou needeth attend yon senate meeting forthwith, adventurer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

LethalGeek posted:

I'm eyeballing one of those 8bitdo controllers I saw that is an SNES controller with a modern number of inputs. Anyone else try these with this game before? It says it supports x-input so sounds like it would work great, plus I could always use it for my Switch/etc

Just from browsing their website, the SNES themed ones don't seem to have dual sticks or enough shoulder buttons, which would be pretty hard to run with FFXIV.

I use an XBone controller to play FFXIV and I am very much a fan of the game's controller support. But if you're going for one of these it looks like you'd need the NES-themed one to be feature-complete enough.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Saint Freak posted:

Verily pray thou needeth attend yon senate meeting forthwith, adventurer.

Please stop posting your Urianger fanfic, tia.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Leofish posted:

The Paladin oath gauge seems kinda tacked on, but after doing the first new dungeon, I think I get the point of it. Bosses don't really attack enough to generate the blocks needed to get your Sheltron and Interventions up quickly in Shield Oath, so it encourages you to switch to Sword to at least get the auto-attack points. I don't know if later bosses become much more painful in DPS stance, but I found I was able to survive in my admittedly-not-fully-augmented-shire rear end and use my cooldowns a bit more, besides. I used to be nervous to switch out of Shield if I didn't know the dungeon, but now it doesn't feel so bad.

When you get Holy Spirit, it gives 20 oath when in Shield Oath. And coincidentally, you can cast it 5 times on full MP. What you're experiencing with the gauge is more a symptom of how thing are trickled down to you though. By all means though, use Sword Oath more. The downside to Holy Spirit in Shield Oath is losing 62 potency. Use Bulwark as your first CD to quickly build your gauge in Shield Oath. They made blocking omni directional now, so large packs don't have to be positioned quite as delicately to make full use of it.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 20, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just remembered that rdm has swiftcast so you can supercharge your opener with swiftcast > acceleration > veraero > dual cast verthunder and baby you got a mana stew goin'

My autocorrect HATES this post btw

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

i also don't glamour anything and play a big hideous muscleman and have never taken a screenshot

aaAAAaAAAA, the muscle men are good though, AAAaaAaaaaaaa

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I just remembered that rdm has swiftcast so you can supercharge your opener with swiftcast > acceleration > veraero > dual cast verthunder and baby you got a mana stew goin'

My autocorrect HATES this post btw

swiftcast doesn't give dualcast friend. though you still got the right idea, for boss pulls you can start with an acceleration > hardcast veraero > dualcast verthunder, granted if the tank uses a countdown timer you can line up with.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Opted out of picking swiftcast on RDM since it doesn't interact with dualcast, but didn't think of this interaction. Rad.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

swiftcast doesn't give dualcast friend. though you still got the right idea, for boss pulls you can start with an acceleration > hardcast veraero > dualcast verthunder, granted if the tank uses a countdown timer you can line up with.

I think the intent is to do: acceleration, swiftcast veraero, hardcast verstone, dualcast verthunder. Swiftcast isn't interacting with dualcast, they're just using it to get a quick stone proc.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 20, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

orcane posted:

Late, but on top of what Jinh said, my biggest issues so far are:
  • AoE nerf is way over the top for SMN - Bane, Shadowflare, Deathflare all got hit pretty hard, Miasma 2 is gone. I guess you can spam Tri-Bind.
  • The Bane nerf alone is just a numbers thing though, it doesn't affect gameplay directly so I can pretend everything is fine and spread my two DoTs.
  • Shadowflare, yeah it's an oGCD now, but it's also less powerful and you can't move it anymore, which is a major pain unless your tank never moves mobs out of the area.
  • You spend a lot of time just casting variants of Ruin, because you essentially lost two more DoTs with cast time to maintain (Ruin and Shadowflare) and can't use your Aetherflow skills in Dreadwyrm Trance.
  • "single nearest target" is probably the dumbest way to do the new group utility pet buff, so of course that's what they did
  • Sustain is gone, all you have to heal your pet with is Physick, which scales with mind and is awful for summoners - if you ever wanted to use tank pets to tank harder enemies like boss fates, now you don't
Maybe it all balances out in raw numbers with the new upgraded spells, but in general gameplay, summoner feels downgraded in almost every way to me except, yay, you get to summon Bahamut-egi. For some people that will be enough I guess.

You left out the gross mutually exclusive nature of Aetherflow and Aethertrail now. You can't use Aetherflow during Dreadwyrm Trance anymore, and if you use Aetherflow while you have any Aethertrail stacks you lose as many AF stacks as you have AT.

It feels pretty bad. I'd rather have the ability to drop AT stacks that we had before than this hamstrung system that feels like it only exists because they wanted to add a shiny UI element.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
if I use accel-aero-stone-thunder and thunder doesn't proc, sometimes I'll just fish for another proc with swift cast. It's ugly and probably wrong but it feels so right when it works

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Conskill posted:

Just from browsing their website, the SNES themed ones don't seem to have dual sticks or enough shoulder buttons, which would be pretty hard to run with FFXIV.

I use an XBone controller to play FFXIV and I am very much a fan of the game's controller support. But if you're going for one of these it looks like you'd need the NES-themed one to be feature-complete enough.

Oh yeah the one I'm talking about isn't out yet, it's like the NES version they have but the shoulder buttons are the typical modern 4 shoulder button layout instead of having them being side by side on the top of it. Otherwise i'd jump on the NES ones now cause they look about the same anyway. Plus I always loved the SNES's stupidly big Dpad

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Opted out of picking swiftcast on RDM since it doesn't interact with dualcast, but didn't think of this interaction. Rad.

I think the intent is to do: acceleration, swiftcast veraero, hardcast verstone, dualcast verthunder. Swiftcast isn't interacting with dualcast, they're just using it to get a quick stone proc.

Oh, no, I misunderstood and assumed you'd get dual cast after swift casting a spell. But what you described is also good.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

nuru posted:

You left out the gross mutually exclusive nature of Aetherflow and Aethertrail now. You can't use Aetherflow during Dreadwyrm Trance anymore, and if you use Aetherflow while you have any Aethertrail stacks you lose as many AF stacks as you have AT.

It feels pretty bad. I'd rather have the ability to drop AT stacks that we had before than this hamstrung system that feels like it only exists because they wanted to add a shiny UI element.

They probably should have just made little pips over the aetherflow stack pips to show aethertrail attunement, or just have another UI element because ninja and monk both get two. It's just kind of a let down, but I wasn't really banking on summoner very much in SB anyway. Once I hit 70 and get through the MSQ I'm probably never going to touch it again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nuru posted:

It's more than a simple UI element change though. For example aethertrails are permanent now though so you can start an encounter in a dungeon and go straight into DWT.

I think they wanted to simplify the best rotation and make balancing easier by not letting you use the ogcd skills during DWT.

Unfortunately this makes whiffing a bane devastating to your DPS - more so than any other job currently (I think?).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

People got mad at me in fc chat for saying this, but I started doing the ninja quests since I'm less than half a level to 70, and I either forgot how terrible reading Jacke's dialogue was or they deliberately made it worse. If leaving the city states gets us the hell away from bad dialects, I hope we never go back to them again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Managed to beat the expansion earlier this morning, promptly passed out cause I wanted to finish it before the game gets out of early access. Pretty solid expansion, minus the server problems!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

It's more than a simple UI element change though. For example aethertrails are permanent now though so you can start an encounter in a dungeon and go straight into DWT.

I think they wanted to simplify the best rotation and make balancing easier by not letting you use the ogcd skills during DWT.

Unfortunately this makes whiffing a bane devastating to your DPS - more so than any other job currently (I think?).

Right, that's why I said I'd rather have the old behavior of being able to drop DWT stacks. This change makes it so all you do in DWT is spam ruin, and in fact most of the time all you really do is spam ruin anyway. 4.0 is an awful Summoner patch, and it's not something they can fix with potency tweaks.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This expansion has been incredible, once all the server problems cleared up.

So I expect everything to go to poo poo again now that we've hit general release :v: At least I got a crap-load of sidequests to work through if Instances stop working again.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Sinteres posted:

People got mad at me in fc chat for saying this, but I started doing the ninja quests since I'm less than half a level to 70, and I either forgot how terrible reading Jacke's dialogue was or they deliberately made it worse. If leaving the city states gets us the hell away from bad dialects, I hope we never go back to them again.

Don't talk poo poo about Thieves' Cant. :colbert:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

Right, that's why I said I'd rather have the old behavior of being able to drop DWT stacks. This change makes it so all you do in DWT is spam ruin, and in fact most of the time all you really do is spam ruin anyway. 4.0 is an awful Summoner patch, and it's not something they can fix with potency tweaks.

Yup this is pretty much my feeling on it. Aoe got nerfed and that's OK, I was doing 6-9k on trash packs at the end of HW and I never saw a non-smn come even close to that in any of my runs.

Single target damage is about the same now, but we're even burstier with a long rear end cooldown because we have to wait forever to get to the bahamut part.

The real loss is complexity. And that's OK for a lot of jobs in SB. Hell, I never could understand DRK and pretended to know what I was doing all the way to 60, so in SB it looks a lot cleaner to me and I like that.

Summoner is a desert now between dreadwyrm stuff though, and that's bad. It's a ruin slot machine with reapplying dots every 30s

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Line Feed posted:

Don't talk poo poo about Thieves' Cant. :colbert:

They call them stabbers, but your attacks are all slashes.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Dumb question but I accidentally picked the wrong job when creating my character, there's no reason to reroll right? Just level up to 10 and pick a new job right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

screech on the beach posted:

Dumb question but I accidentally picked the wrong job when creating my character, there's no reason to reroll right? Just level up to 10 and pick a new job right?

If the job isn't in the same city the one you picked starts in, you'll need to wait a little longer than 10.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Yep, you can just pick up the class you want to play and switch at any time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jinh posted:

Yup this is pretty much my feeling on it. Aoe got nerfed and that's OK, I was doing 6-9k on trash packs at the end of HW and I never saw a non-smn come even close to that in any of my runs.

Single target damage is about the same now, but we're even burstier with a long rear end cooldown because we have to wait forever to get to the bahamut part.

The real loss is complexity. And that's OK for a lot of jobs in SB. Hell, I never could understand DRK and pretended to know what I was doing all the way to 60, so in SB it looks a lot cleaner to me and I like that.

Summoner is a desert now between dreadwyrm stuff though, and that's bad. It's a ruin slot machine with reapplying dots every 30s

At least it's not SCH. Miasma, bio, shadowflare, broil, broil, broil, broil, broil, broil, miasma, broil...

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

The only thing that would change is if you wanted a job that starts in a different town. Your early quests will be a little different in Ul'Dah compared to Gridania for example, but once you have access to the armory system you can change jobs at any time after doing a quick unlock quests at their respective guilds.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I was worried when people were saying red mage was simple, and it is dont get me wrong, but it feels really good mechanically and not having to worry about dots and such is good. Swift cast doesn't seem like a good fit but its quick cooldown and double cast means you get to press stronger buttons more often if poo poo just doesn't roll your way. Cant wait to get to 60 to start doing the MSQ with it.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Why did they even bother making HW and SB sightseeing logs if the "hints" are all going to be the same? Are you meant to just stumble upon them or use a guide? I thought the original point was to be like a fun little puzzle.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Have they made under 50 leveling faster by any chance? I want to get back into the game but still just a level 45 Dragoon guy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I was worried when people were saying red mage was simple, and it is dont get me wrong, but it feels really good mechanically and not having to worry about dots and such is good. Swift cast doesn't seem like a good fit but its quick cooldown and double cast means you get to press stronger buttons more often if poo poo just doesn't roll your way. Cant wait to get to 60 to start doing the MSQ with it.

I wasn't really interested in RDM going in, but I think it's become the caster dps I'd play before even BLM now.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Harlock posted:

Have they made under 50 leveling faster by any chance? I want to get back into the game but still just a level 45 Dragoon guy.

Yep, armory bonus for sub 60 was increased. But you have aar ahead of you which is awful.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

At least it's not SCH. Miasma, bio, shadowflare, broil, broil, broil, broil, broil, broil, miasma, broil...

The problem is that I main SCH, I'm just leveling as SMN. SCH dps is somehow more complex than AST though, and I think WHM? Don't they each have 1 dot now?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I wasn't really interested in RDM going in, but I think it's become the caster dps I'd play before even BLM now.

It's really satisfying. Fleche and Contre Sixt could do zero potency and I'd still cast them

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every now and then I get in a groove on rdm and I know what my next few abilities are gonna be so I look at my character instead of my hotbars.

Goddamn we're stylin

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yep, armory bonus for sub 60 was increased. But you have aar ahead of you which is awful.

Just the 50-60 part was increased.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

nuru posted:

The problem is that I main SCH, I'm just leveling as SMN. SCH dps is somehow more complex than AST though, and I think WHM? Don't they each have 1 dot now?

ASTs have one dot and a spam. Earthly Star you can use once a minute like Assize, and maybe the Lord of Crowns if the cards work out that way.

WHM should have Aero2 and Aero 3 still, as well as stone spam and Assize.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jinh posted:

Every now and then I get in a groove on rdm and I know what my next few abilities are gonna be so I look at my character instead of my hotbars.

Goddamn we're stylin

I really expected to be a samurai in this expansion but every time I run content on it all I can think is "I wish I were red mage right now"

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

these are good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Harlock posted:

There's POTD, if you quit before that was a thing. But if a lv45 Drg is your highest character then you'll still be doing msq for most leveling because it unlocks all the content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

WHM should have Aero2 and Aero 3 still, as well as stone spam and Assize.

Ahem you forgot the best spell in the game: HOLY.