Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kanfy posted:

The rest of the Chaos realms thank you for your service, I know several people who migrated there from Odin due to the lengthy expansion launch queues but now our peak time queues seem to hover around 20.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we ended up designated as congested. And to think, all the pissbabies were worried it was gonna end up a dead server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Incidentally, any concerns about Omega becoming the European Balmung seem to be unfounded. I think i saw an RP, once, but i saw it more often on Excalibur than I have here.

Love live Omega. Now Excalibur is the dead gay server.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

If I don't care about glamours and don't need gear for alt jobs, what should I be spending poetics on?

I just vendor demicrystals.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Now Excalibur is the dead gay server.

Actually yea, Excalibur has almost no queue.
I'm hoping this means I'll have more than loving minutes to buy a plot.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Friendship ended with EXCALIBUR

Now
OMEGA
is my
best friend

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Depths posted:

Friendship ended with EXCALIBUR HYDAELYN

Now
OMEGA ZODIARK
is my
best friend

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

nuru posted:

We did Susano blind yesterday and got it in 3 pulls. We did Lakshmi blind tonight and got it our first pull (albeit with a bunch of deaths during the pull).

I hope this isn't a trend for this expansion.

Alternatively: I hope that it is

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

nuru posted:

We did Susano blind yesterday and got it in 3 pulls. We did Lakshmi blind tonight and got it our first pull (albeit with a bunch of deaths during the pull).

I hope this isn't a trend for this expansion.

As someone who's pugged nearly all their ex primal clears and farms, I'd be perfectly happy if we never saw a repeat of pug-unforgiving content like Titan or Zurvan. There's room to make mechanics interesting while also making them forgiving for a pug to handle (Sophia's my favorite example).

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Is rather content be clearable and slightly easy than slam my balls in a drawer hard to just barely squeak out a win. If that's the content you want then great - wait for savage - but EX primal should be able to be cleared by any non-brain dead group.

I spent an hour getting into a group last night for Susanno EX only to find we didn't have the DPS for phase 2. Didn't help one of the tanks was also mentally challenged and felt the best time to pop the orbs was half a second before they'd hit the DPS. Three pulls in and I walked because holy hell things weren't getting better.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I want to agree, but thordan ex is the most fun dance I've ever done, even if I finally cleared it after it was no longer current.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Agreed that Thordan is a fantastic fight, but it still would have been possible to make it be the fun dance with lighter enrage checks allowing for more dance fuckups and more realistic recovery. Remember that where you have to go and what you have to do to dance your way through mechanics, is a separate concern from how hard they hit, or how much time you need to do how much damage, or how much a given death fucks over an attempt.

These latter things do affect how much players will bother doing the mechanics, of course, but there's no rule saying your only two options for punishment are death (or party wipe) vs. ignore-worthy wet noodle, much though the internet in general loves its hyperbolic extremes. It's a much more flexible model to have mechanic failures be a cumulative strain instead of a single point of run failure.

I do also think the change to weakness mechanics is a huge help to having people live through fights. They may be a rather worse contributor until it wears off, but at least they don't die every subsequent mechanic unless shielded, which was sometimes the case with old weakness.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Shy posted:

I just vendor demicrystals.

Didn't they drop the resale value of those? I remember them selling for 3.5k (am I imagining this?) but they seem to only go for 500 now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Omega is good.
Seems about the same as Girugameshu overall, though not with several years of Market Board history and spares so it's a bit poo poo on that front but it'll get there.

I'm still too lazy to register for the goon FC to get carries enjoy your company

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hi europeans, the first person that goes to your puny FC house on Omega will receive 1 (one) million gil. Maybe you can invest it in a better house.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Archyduke posted:

Didn't they drop the resale value of those? I remember them selling for 3.5k (am I imagining this?) but they seem to only go for 500 now.

Yes but they are also at 25 poetics instead of 50 lore, I don't have any quicker use for poetis anyway.

On another note, I just got a Lakshmi pup! omg!

Shy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 30, 2017

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

homeless snail posted:

Hi europeans, the first person that goes to your puny FC house on Omega will receive 1 (one) million gil. Maybe you can invest it in a better house.

We're moving to a large weeb mansion when it's available!

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
Laotzu is thinking of coming back. I think I maybe should move to Omega! Its been so long!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
How's SMN at 70?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

How's SMN at 70?

Did you enjoy spamming Ruin 1?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Truga posted:

I want to agree, but thordan ex is the most fun dance I've ever done, even if I finally cleared it after it was no longer current.

I'm hoping that the inevitable ex version of Stormblood's end boss fight is a cool and challenging as Thordan Ex was when it was fresh. Nevertheless I'd prefer for genuinely hard fights to be standouts rather than every single duty mostly so that people who don't raid have things to do and enjoy in this game.

I say this as somebody planning to raid as soon as savage opens up.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blattdorf posted:

Did you enjoy spamming Ruin 1?

i don't mind it :shrug:

i mean that's what smn has pretty much been all along

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 30, 2017

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Finished the Main Story Quest.

"I wield the power of the eikons!"
Bitch, I kill eikons; that is not a threat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I haven't played SMN since before HW but this seems like a decent breakdown without going into super detail. Some might find the guy annoying though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw95gpG97UE

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

pretty sure playing drk is going to give me RSI hitting dark arts at every attack

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

i don't mind it :shrug:

i mean that's what smn has pretty much been all along

To be serious SMN in 4.0 seems to be all about managing your burst phases and spamming Ruin between them. Lots of weaving and the new mechanics like Tri-Disaster recast resetting when you use DWT take getting used to.

It's very... different than before. Whether or not it's better I think is up to taste.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah larryzaur is extremely meme heavy but that's an uncharacteristically serious and good overview of the job at 70. It kinda made me wanna pick it up again.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

But Aetherpact (Devotion) still sucks.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SoulChicken posted:

Laotzu is thinking of coming back. I think I maybe should move to Omega! Its been so long!

While we'd love to have you, transfers to Omega are currently suspended because it's too popular!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
It feels clunky not having access to Bane in DWT, aside from that it's pretty alright. Lack of sustain and your pet disappearing when you use Bahamut kinda sucks if you used to use Summon to solo old poo poo though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

While we'd love to have you, transfers to Omega are currently suspended because it's too popular!

They buried the lede a little in the notice too. If people continue to make characters there and it qualifies as congested SE is going to revoke the exp bonus you get by being there.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Geomancer healer would literally just be Conjurer though. :colbert:

Geomancer would be dps

Chemist would be a neat healer, mix for their capstone aoe DPS like Holy / Gravity

SKULL.GIF posted:

Seriously. Just straight up lift the FF5 Mix system for their big mechanic. It'd be like Ninja Mudras, mix together two components (out of probably four or five?) to get a specific potion effect.

After three magical healers it'd be nice to have a Machinist-style "mundane" healer.

Could get different effects from heal bombs like heal team and poison enemies with one mix or apply a debuff with a different one or sth

SettingSun posted:

Actually that gives me an idea for a true caster tank: Time Mage. Instead of the support focus of FF5, it focuses on a damage smearing time shield. It would work a little like stagger, where any damage they take would be converted into a DoT which they can manage in some form of another. Their attack skills can include Comet and that acceleration bomb that Ozma had. Their class gauge could be "Inertia" which increases as their time shield smears damage.

I want to play this job

Ferrinus posted:

What we need is a Calculator class who has a regular old numerical resource bar that goes 1-100, but instead of your moves having normal costs they all perform different operations on the bar - some add or subtract, some multiply or divide, some square or square root, etcetera. And your most powerful moves can only be executed under specific conditions like your resource is a perfect square or a prime number or a multiple of seven.

This would be fun but most people are too stupid to deal with this

Bleu posted:

Meme races are all banished to TPT.

What is the fastest meme?

Pikavangelist posted:

This is a sensitive topic for me and many other players in this game so let's please try to be civil. I'm asking the player base, most of it, to please stop hanging out in Kugane and flooding the shout chat with memes and harassment. Kugane represents a rich culture that is important to some of us and it should be respected. It is an end game hub designed for people like me, people who identify as otaku who have a deep appreciation for Japan, and want to honor it in game.

Please go take your toxicity to Rhalgr's Reach and leave us alone. Kugane is what we've always wanted - a true place for anime and manga fans to live our dream. Its a safe haven for real fans of Japanese culture and art. Not a place to spam donald trump memes and talk about sex.

Please respect Kugane and just leave it. Do not take this from us. Do not ruin the beauty and majesty, and history that Yoshida-san has given us. It is deeply upsetting to me, and many other true fans of Japanese art, architecture, and history. Thank you.

This must be an epic thread

Injuryprone posted:

Do Elezen males just not exist?

Cythereal posted:

I've been noticing as a fresh player to the game and going through LL and its class stories a lot, LL is clearly set up for major internal conflicts. Limsa Lominsa started the war with the kobolds because some ex-pirates decided they wanted the land ceded to the kobolds in a peace treaty. Large numbers of pirates pay lip service to LL's neutrality and the Code while continuing to do whatever the gently caress the want. Merlwyb's control over Limsa Lominsa is so shaky she's sanctioned a professional order of assassins to help her stay in control. Not even Ul'dah has gone that far. Most of Limsa Lominsa is a drunken trainwreck of a civilization that Merlwyb is just barely managing to keep on the rails.

I wish LL got more screen time, because the city did a lot to sell me on FF14. Gridania is a boring standard fantasy realm and Ul'dah is too Game of Thrones-y for my taste, but Limsa Lominsa is bright, colorful, has great music, has by far the most racial diversity in NPCs particularly those in positions of leadership, and I love the idea of a ramshackle pirate town trying to settle down and become a real nation.

There being a civil war in Limsa between the pirate factions would be cool

Vermain posted:

I mean, Gridania's major internal conflict is the fact that it's run by a loving cult that reports directly to inscrutable, Lovecraftian entities who might decide on one hand to reassemble someone from the lifestream, and, on the other hand, decide that a refugee with an easily treatable condition should be allowed to suffer an agonizingly brutal death.

Wait what, I must really have missed something in Gridania

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is the million gil/playtime thing over too? i logged out at 29 last time i played.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How's SMN at 70?

The second highest parsing DPS behind SAM, but maybe the class with the highest skill ceiling, and the hardest penalty for messing up your priorities.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Wait what, I must really have missed something in Gridania

Basically everything about the Black Shroud is how you shouldn't piss off the trees cause the trees will murder the poo poo out of you and yours. And then probably anyone else that happened to be in the area, including the Gridanians.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is the million gil/playtime thing over too? i logged out at 29 last time i played.

None of the bonuses are over, the only change is that transfers to Omega are closed. I would suggest hurrying the gently caress up and getting 30 though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wacky Delly posted:

Finished the Main Story Quest.

"I wield the power of the eikons!"
Bitch, I kill eikons; that is not a threat.

I'm a big fan of how often you are called The Eikon-Slayer in text and dialogue. It made me laugh pretty hard at Zenos. He fused with the one thing that we are almost certain to steamroll. I get why with his character and stuff, but it was still funny. Like if you showed up to fight Batman dressed as a clown.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Brainamp posted:

Basically everything about the Black Shroud is how you shouldn't piss off the trees cause the trees will murder the poo poo out of you and yours. And then probably anyone else that happened to be in the area, including the Gridanians.

murder trees are best trees

I legit enjoy nature as an antagonist in stories, though, so I do really like the lore behind Gridania. I agree with people calling for more Limsa, though, that definitely feels like the least-developed city, although it's got the best design to make up for it.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Have they ever said why the glamour system is so unintuitive. In both of their other MMOs you literally just equip the gear and click a button and bam thats what you look like now. You can even use gear from other classes as an appearance. Was it some dumb server thing or ps3 limitation or holdover from the 1.0 engine.

Also what about all the destination markers you have to click on. Why cant they just make stuff spawn seamlessly. That must be a 1.0 engine thing right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A Spider Covets posted:

murder trees are best trees

It comes up in a bunch of lowbie quests. Is your twelve year old daughter dying from an easily treatable (by conjurers) illness? Conjurers gotta ask nature if that's okay, and if nature says no then sorry your daughter's gonna die horribly. Ala Migho refugees hoping to find shelter in Gridania? Sorry, nature says we're full except for a few specific individuals.

And if the Gridanians defy nature about stuff like this, trees start attacking anything in the Shroud that walks on two legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SonicRulez posted:

I'm a big fan of how often you are called The Eikon-Slayer in text and dialogue. It made me laugh pretty hard at Zenos. He fused with the one thing that we are almost certain to steamroll. I get why with his character and stuff, but it was still funny. Like if you showed up to fight Batman dressed as a clown.

Well, like, you did beat him in the normal course of things, and then his final boss form was probably the most difficult fight in the game that doesn't have (Extreme) or (Savage) somewhere in its duty finder name. I think people overstate the extent to which the WoL defeating primals is a result of some kind of Pokemon damage type vulnerability rather than the WoL simply being one of the very few people who can even engage a primal without instantly being tempered for their troube.