Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

Vinegar heavy sauces are perfect for fried seafood

its also perfect for putting on apples, preferably sour ones

seriously go eat a loving apple with some hot sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Louisgod posted:

2017 owns

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

Vinegar heavy sauces are perfect for fried seafood, which is also the perfect method of putting hot sauce in your face

I'm not gonna hot sauce shame anybody frand, I just generally don't much like the vinegar sauces and have found that chipotle heavy ones work in their place most times. With seafood tho I like malt vinegar

I like tobasco as vinegar heavy because it's potent and distinct.

The only bad hot sauces are ones with extract

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
A decade or so ago my company asked a big credit card processor for info on the relationship between the internal transaction identifiers they gave us through a back channel corresponded to the alphanumeric transaction IDs you see on your statements. The only "documentation" they could send us was IBM 370 assembly language with comments dated to the 80s.

Fun fact: the code includes lots of checks to make sure that a transaction ID doesn't accidentally include substrings like FUK or C0K

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Ponzu sauce owns

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bethamphetamine posted:

That's untrue, and I take an odd pride that I've known I was gay from a very young age, but because my family was very, very catholic I still hosed more women than some of the sad sacks you can find on the internet.

tfw you're gay but still feel the urge to internet brag about all the puss you slayed

I guess that only lends credibility to your backstory though, so it works out

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm glad that the stocks are dead

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

it seems to be corrected.

Edit: At least on the Apple stock app, Google still shows 123.47

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

emfive posted:

A decade or so ago my company asked a big credit card processor for info on the relationship between the internal transaction identifiers they gave us through a back channel corresponded to the alphanumeric transaction IDs you see on your statements. The only "documentation" they could send us was IBM 370 assembly language with comments dated to the 80s.

Fun fact: the code includes lots of checks to make sure that a transaction ID doesn't accidentally include substrings like FUK or C0K

wish i was good at computer poo poo beyond video games so i could learn 2 code and infiltrate the wall street IT apparatus and program it to completely wipe itself while im in a country with no extradition treaty

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

wish i was good at computer poo poo beyond video games so i could learn 2 code and infiltrate the wall street IT apparatus and program it to completely wipe itself while im in a country with no extradition treaty

Lol I can't even imagine what the code base that runs everything on Wall Street looks like. It's probably impervious to sabotage for the same reasons it is impervious to improvement

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

emfive posted:

Has anybody posted that either something's hosed with the NYSE software or else we're a few minutes into the death of Capitalism?

What?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Agean90 posted:

i wish i was good at computer poo poo beyond video games so i could learn 2 code and infiltrate the wall street IT apparatus and program it to show goatse

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Epic High Five posted:

I'm not gonna hot sauce shame anybody frand, I just generally don't much like the vinegar sauces and have found that chipotle heavy ones work in their place most times. With seafood tho I like malt vinegar

I like tobasco as vinegar heavy because it's potent and distinct.

The only bad hot sauces are ones with extract

Listen up you're gonna get my food opinions and you're gonna like it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

don't code

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

triple sulk posted:

i'm glad that the stocks are dead

Trmp made too many "LOOK AT THE MARKETS MAGA" posts

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/882034873690673152

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Louisgod posted:

I thought this was fake and had to check

What the gently caress happened?

*techman walking on thin air like wile e coyote* ahhh another day on my fabulous tech bubble jet, i think i'll take a relaxing glance downwards

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

somehow i don't think it's wise for this man to talk about puppies and dogs

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Epic High Five posted:

Lol I can't even imagine what the code base that runs everything on Wall Street looks like. It's probably impervious to sabotage for the same reasons it is impervious to improvement

it works because we think it does.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Agean90 posted:

A major fundamental thing you learn from working even peripherally in the financial tech industry is that the fact anything works at all is an incredible miracle. Like, there's nothing one person could to do make the system more loving awful than it actually is.

OK here's another good one (and note that I'm hardly a super-hard-core insider): working with a big giant bank, my startup was implementing a way to provide access to ACH payments - the way you move money between financial institutions (automated clearing house). It's arcane and weird. Anyway one of our QA people did a test to verify that ludicrously large transactions from bogus source accounts would properly fail. It didn't.

Suddenly the US money supply increased by like $100,000,000. The bank people were really mad and had to be talked off the ceiling by explaining that we had verified that the mechanism (which they had asked us to do) probably wouldn't be a good idea to expose to customers.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

https://mobile.twitter.com/AttyAtLOLs/status/882035459026821121

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

im operating under the assumption that if if one part gets removed the whole thing will seize up like a failed rube goldberg machine

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i'm triggered because you make dane cook look like bill hicks

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Agean90 posted:

you would have to worry about being assassinated more than extradited.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/GlobalBC/status/881964213853356032

our powerful genderless babies

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

it works because we think it does.

This is literally true, and the amount of manual intervention in stuff like people's credit card accounts to fix broken poo poo is beyond belief.

Seriously, the economy absolutely should not function if you look at everything from an engineering point of view.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NYT posted:

Dealing a legal blow to the Trump administration, a federal appeals court ruled on Monday that the Environmental Protection Agency cannot suspend an Obama-era rule to restrict methane emissions from new oil and gas wells.

The 2-to-1 decision from the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit is the first major legal setback for Scott Pruitt, the EPA administrator, who is trying to roll back dozens of Obama-era environmental regulations. The ruling signals that President Trump's plans to erase his predecessor's environmental record are likely to face an uphill battle in the courts.

lol that it's gotten to the point we need to prevent the EPA from doing things in order to protect the environment

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Surprised fuckabee learned new words and edgy poo poo.

So how many economic death bubbles are there. I know auto mortgages and tech unicorns.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Watching actual people irl use the word snowflake as an insult is pretty lol.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Generation U

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Annual Prophet posted:

this is undoubtedly cyber

cyber something something

e:f,b

Lol. The internet really was a mistake.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Like, you'd think (if you spent the time to contemplate it) that the system that processes your credit card transactions at the gas station or grocery store or whatever would be able to identify every single transaction. I mean, all it would take is a number, and computers can deal with huge numbers, so that should be easy.

Nope.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Searyl Doty claims to be a porpoise.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Childhood's End is real, and it is my friend

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

lol that it's gotten to the point we need to prevent the EPA from doing things in order to protect the environment

i like how they don't even dance around the fact that trump is just trying to erase everything obama did and nothing else

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/882031723881656321

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

it’s sad thinking about all the gendered babies who died, but even sadder to think about the earth we fled because of the genderless babies who can’t

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

you would have to worry about being assassinated more than extradited.

if they kill me then im not around to get rid of the code that wrecks things even worse

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/valkilmer/status/882035993674747905

• Locked thread