Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Nuns with Guns posted:

The descriptions of that statue hand made it sound like it was only an aesthetic stand to hold a card that has an ongoing effect during the game. Did they ever say if there was any reason to have one besides to look insufferable?

As far as I know, there are no mechanics for the hand besides "make sure the Tone and Ambiance of the table are as insufferable as possible," but I'm actually not clear on almost any mechanics of Invisible Sun. There hasn't been any kind of rules PDF released to backers, probably because they're still writing the loving thing? This page exists to list what's been "revealed" (read: "written") but there's almost nothing going on there. I recall something about it being a d6 pool system where you only ever get to roll 1 die if you're doing stuff non-magically?

At least now I know that one of the character stats is "Qualia." At last, I can play a p-zombie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

theironjef posted:

I tried to talk them into Strike!. Apparently James feels comfortable working in 5e for whatever reason.

Aw dang, that would have been awesome. Thanks for trying!

Strike! isn't really built for PvP, but neither is 5e. Most RPGs aren't. Writing a PvP version of Strike! is an idea I've mulled over, but it would require more playtesting resources than I can currently muster. When I post up stuff for feedback these days, I only hear back from a couple of groups. For a proper balanced PvP game, I'd need really extensive and lengthy balance testing with lots of data and lots of revisions.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antivehicular posted:

As far as I know, there are no mechanics for the hand besides "make sure the Tone and Ambiance of the table are as insufferable as possible," but I'm actually not clear on almost any mechanics of Invisible Sun. There hasn't been any kind of rules PDF released to backers, probably because they're still writing the loving thing? This page exists to list what's been "revealed" (read: "written") but there's almost nothing going on there. I recall something about it being a d6 pool system where you only ever get to roll 1 die if you're doing stuff non-magically?

At least now I know that one of the character stats is "Qualia." At last, I can play a p-zombie!

A d6 pool system was what I remember seeing, too. It looked like you added more dice with spells on cards and other players can add to your die pool, but I don't remember if they can only do that with their own spells or if there's some teamwork mechanic.

Also lol I just remembered they gated basic access to their rules drafts and playtests behind a $152.00 add-on pledge unless you were one of the lunatics that backed at $1,475.00 or more. What a great way to block access to your rules and setting to only the most hardcore fanboys that won't let any negative buzz get out and ensure nobody catches the apparently recurring issue of accidental racism in the Monte Cook Game books before everything is done and you can safely ignore people who notice.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 19, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kwyndig posted:

It's always 5e these loving days.

That's where the money is, my friend-o. It might be a creatively bankrupt turd, but money is money is money is money.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Jimbozig posted:

Aw dang, that would have been awesome. Thanks for trying!

Strike! isn't really built for PvP, but neither is 5e. Most RPGs aren't. Writing a PvP version of Strike! is an idea I've mulled over, but it would require more playtesting resources than I can currently muster. When I post up stuff for feedback these days, I only hear back from a couple of groups. For a proper balanced PvP game, I'd need really extensive and lengthy balance testing with lots of data and lots of revisions.

Oh hey, I need to talk to you anyway. I've had a campaign setting kicking around on my own show for a few years now with listeners bugging us to do something with it, and I've been thinking Strike! is the right home for that. It's a bizarre setting where potions only work in alcohol bases and now there's prohibition. And blimps. We've already started mapping the two together, but eventually it may be a thing where our listeners want to actually pay for it so I need to message you about that some time in the next year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Someone over on RPGNet actually raised a good point about this beyond the inherent silliness: what happens if/when you find this so-called "missing number"? Does it lead to enlightenment? Will it open up new math-based magic? Who knows, because its just a pointless goal with no stakes or downside for failure.

I don't remember who said it, but IS really is "Monte read Neil Gaiman's Sandman for the first time: the RPG".

My favorite description of Invisible Sun is when someone called it Bad Gaiman: The RPG

Kwyndig posted:

It's always 5e these loving days.

Unless it's Fate Accelerated.

Or loving Powered by the Apocalypse.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

theironjef posted:

Oh hey, I need to talk to you anyway. I've had a campaign setting kicking around on my own show for a few years now with listeners bugging us to do something with it, and I've been thinking Strike! is the right home for that. It's a bizarre setting where potions only work in alcohol bases and now there's prohibition. And blimps. We've already started mapping the two together, but eventually it may be a thing where our listeners want to actually pay for it so I need to message you about that some time in the next year.

That sounds great. If there's prohibition, there have gotta be gangsters, rumrunning, and moonshine, right? Is it 1930's level tech plus magic, or is it more fantasy staples, or what?

Anyway, drop me a line whenever. Anything that increases Strike's name recognition while I'm on hiatus is a great thing for me. I've got big plans for more writing once I can spend my free time on that instead of hospital visits.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Jimbozig posted:

That sounds great. If there's prohibition, there have gotta be gangsters, rumrunning, and moonshine, right? Is it 1930's level tech plus magic, or is it more fantasy staples, or what?

Anyway, drop me a line whenever. Anything that increases Strike's name recognition while I'm on hiatus is a great thing for me. I've got big plans for more writing once I can spend my free time on that instead of hospital visits.

Late 20s, basically Jazz Age + weird species + unionized magic + semi-rigid airships instead of cars and airplanes. The police of the world are evil mushroom men called the Fuzz. There's gangsters, rumrunners (though they run in in daring blimp chases through narrow canyons and dizzying mazes of skyscrapers and permanent air-moorings), and moonshine(which is magic and can do things like make you briefly turn sparkly or give you the power of flight), which we hope to come complete with an inebriation mechanic and a whole new class, the Hoochslinger. Whole thing is called Blimpleggers, which is the dumbest name we couldn't ever find a replacement for.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 19, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The acrylic gaming wound tracker you never knew you needed

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1680464271/woundwang

perfect

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 19, 2017

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Wound... wang? Woundwang? Wang? What? Why? What?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I don't know where you're getting off here Kate talking about how tabletop gaming has a gender bias. I mean seriously, when you talk like that it just makes the whole hobby look bad when we're all inclusive here. Pssh *pulls out a gaming accessory that literally compares hit points to a dick measurement*

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I thought you stuck it inside yourself to determine damage instead of rolling.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Someone over on RPGNet actually raised a good point about this beyond the inherent silliness: what happens if/when you find this so-called "missing number"? Does it lead to enlightenment? Will it open up new math-based magic? Who knows, because its just a pointless goal with no stakes or downside for failure.

I don't remember who said it, but IS really is "Monte read Neil Gaiman's Sandman for the first time: the RPG".

Given that numerology equates numbers with letters (with the exact method depending on background and, let's be honest, how to get the number you're looking for because the whole thing's only slightly more respectable than astrology), I assume discovering it would let you win at Scrabble.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
That is the most bizarre kickstarter, only because this sketch exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOZtWZ56lc

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
New Masks book is out in pdf. New classes are good; some stories and rules, but quality is VERY inconsistent.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

signalnoise posted:

perfect

That's woundwang! Let's rotate the board!

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Golden Bee posted:

New Masks book is out in pdf. New classes are good; some stories and rules, but quality is VERY inconsistent.

Where is it? I don't see any updates.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

KongGeorgeVII posted:

That is the most bizarre kickstarter, only because this sketch exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOZtWZ56lc

It's possible that they didn't realize what they had done with the shape and name, but if so, oh my god how unfortunate it is for them

not that they accidentally did it, I mean that they are so dense they didn't realize

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

signalnoise posted:

It's possible that they didn't realize what they had done with the shape and name, but if so, oh my god how unfortunate it is for them

not that they accidentally did it, I mean that they are so dense they didn't realize

I think it has to be intentional because they are using the same font, it is still a very bizarre choice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I revisited the Dinosaur Island KS page and found I can do a late pledge, which possibly interests me. But every time I look at the all the little playboards and whatnot, it just looks so dry. I think it might purely be the early 90s neon colours that are drawing me in.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Antivehicular posted:

I am pretty sure that they know this is going to do extremely poorly. Other than what they have sold on this kickstarter how many units of a huge expensive box game can they possibly expect to sell? Other than hand selling copies at conventions I can't see it.

This is basically true of a lot of kickstarter but what do I know. Maybe a expensive plastic hand is what my gaming table has been missing all along.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Antivehicular posted:

As far as I know, there are no mechanics for the hand besides "make sure the Tone and Ambiance of the table are as insufferable as possible," but I'm actually not clear on almost any mechanics of Invisible Sun. There hasn't been any kind of rules PDF released to backers, probably because they're still writing the loving thing?

You realise of course the time is ripe to crowdfund your F&F of the game when it finally manifests. Make back some of your disposed-of income and buy games which have a much better dollars-to-entertainment ratio.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

The_Doctor posted:

I revisited the Dinosaur Island KS page and found I can do a late pledge, which possibly interests me. But every time I look at the all the little playboards and whatnot, it just looks so dry. I think it might purely be the early 90s neon colours that are drawing me in.

Where did you see the late pledge option?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

Where did you see the late pledge option?

Top of the page, purple button says Late Pledge, takes you here: https://pandasaurus-games.pledgemanager.com/projects/dinosaur-island/participate/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Antivehicular posted:

Has there ever been a really good implementation of MA? I've seen a lot of recent attempts to revive it, and I picked up a copy of the huge Goodman reprint/retrospective, but it's really hard for me to view it as anything other than a historical artifact. (I may just not be old-school enough for it, admittedly, because the "touch a doorknob and die" gameplay style they seem to be advocating seems really tedious.) I suppose the answer is just to run 4e Gamma World in the Warden generation-ship setting?

I think I have four of the versions? Original, Amazing Engine, GW spinoff and the edition that came out in the early 00s and no, they are all bad in different ways. The Amazing Engine version was probably the best though somehow.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 19, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

The_Doctor posted:

Top of the page, purple button says Late Pledge, takes you here: https://pandasaurus-games.pledgemanager.com/projects/dinosaur-island/participate/

Awesome. Thank you.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I think it has to be intentional because they are using the same font, it is still a very bizarre choice.

From the KS creator in the comments section:

Monk Stevens posted:

Thanks fellas, always good to know the wang is going down well!

They know exactly what they are doing.

ripping off Shadow Warrior's schtick

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Paladin already blew through two stretch goals and is about to unlock a third.

They also sent out a Q&A in an update that indicated the Pendragon book they're offering is one-off printing, so I guess it's a good chance to get one? They also mentioned the other Pendragon books were available in POD through DTRPG which I didn't realize, and is pretty awesome.

OK I'll shut up about Paladin now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I don't know where you're getting off here Kate talking about how tabletop gaming has a gender bias. I mean seriously, when you talk like that it just makes the whole hobby look bad when we're all inclusive here. Pssh *pulls out a gaming accessory that literally compares hit points to a dick measurement*

For some reason the follow-up KS for the PointsPuss fails to fund. It's inexplicable!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

potatocubed posted:

You realise of course the time is ripe to crowdfund your F&F of the game when it finally manifests. Make back some of your disposed-of income and buy games which have a much better dollars-to-entertainment ratio.

I'm willing to eat the cost of my initial bad decision, and am planning to F&F it as penance, but frankly, if people were willing to chip in an appropriate share of the cost, I would buy the $200 PDF Page Link ~Guided Campaign~ and run it as part of the F&F with whoever I can con into it.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Founders of Gloomhaven, a euro spinoff of Descent-y Gloomhaven, is adding a cute connection to the original game with a stretch goal

quote:

What I want to do is include a deck of eight Gloomhaven city event cards in the Founders of Gloomhaven box. Each of these city events will correspond to one of the eight playable races.
The idea is that once your group has played Founders of Gloomhaven a couple times and you feel you are all reasonably adept at it, you decide to play a game "for real." Then, as a one-time special thing, whichever race wins that game of Founders, you take the corresponding event card and add it to the Gloomhaven city deck.
Your actions in Founders of Gloomhaven will propagate throughout history and have a (very small) effect on the events of Gloomhaven!

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

bandaid.friend posted:

Founders of Gloomhaven, a euro spinoff of Descent-y Gloomhaven, is adding a cute connection to the original game with a stretch goal

People are apparently quite upset about "having" to now buy founders to get this secret and massive and essential Gloomhaven expansion.

I imagine after market sales will probably do quite well

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

signalnoise posted:

perfect

:eyepop: Amazing. It does look like a shell so if they marketed it that way, it'd get all the historical grognards onboard too.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mojo Jojo posted:

People are apparently quite upset about "having" to now buy founders to get this secret and massive and essential Gloomhaven expansion.

I imagine after market sales will probably do quite well

This is the exact reaction I predicted when he mentioned that goal, despite taking great pains to explain how completely unimportant it would be to anyone who isn't into both games.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

malkav11 posted:

This is the exact reaction I predicted when he mentioned that goal, despite taking great pains to explain how completely unimportant it would be to anyone who isn't into both games.

The FOMO boardgame kickstarters trigger in some people is pretty breathtaking. A single city event is about as trivial as Gloomhaven content gets.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
The Medieval Demons kickstarter is wrapping up with two days left, and are £400 short of unlocking Buer, the lion wheel, aka one of the better demons from history books.

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 21, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Nm

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

malkav11 posted:

Well, it was always 4E before that. People just really like D&D. I don't get it either, but whatcha gonna do.

People talk a big game about how Critical Role played a ... role in popularizing D&D as of 5e, but Acquisitions Inc. did that too during the 4e days.

And ultimately people are going to prefer the latest version of the game for marketing/sponsorship/exposure reasons - even if you're not getting a cent from WOTC, it can be slightly more appealing for your audience to know that they can pick whatever system you're playing in a game store rather than trying to track down an older edition (yes, that doesn't excuse non-D&D-but-still-current-games).

It's just regrettable that at least in the 4e days, "people play current edition of D&D" meant that it was actually good.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Weirdo posted:

The Medieval Demons kickstarter is wrapping up with two days left, and are £400 short of unlocking Buer, the lion wheel, aka one of the better demons from history books.

No Stolas, no sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Argent: The Consortium 2nd Edition just launched. I'm getting the upgrade just for the new base system because wow did the old one not work in practice.

Argent is probably my favorite worker placement, though. It does suffer from a bit too much "stuff" (they could have probably cut out items and be fine), but the mechanics of the various types of "workers" is fun, as is the magic system.