Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

Can I get a link, yo?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-obama-doctrine/471525/

quote:

Obama flipped this plea on its head. “When you have a professional army,” he once told me, “that is well armed and sponsored by two large states”—Iran and Russia—“who have huge stakes in this, and they are fighting against a farmer, a carpenter, an engineer who started out as protesters and suddenly now see themselves in the midst of a civil conflict …” He paused. “The notion that we could have—in a clean way that didn’t commit U.S. military forces—changed the equation on the ground there was never true.” The message Obama telegraphed in speeches and interviews was clear: He would not end up like the second President Bush—a president who became tragically overextended in the Middle East, whose decisions filled the wards of Walter Reed with grievously wounded soldiers, who was helpless to stop the obliteration of his reputation, even when he recalibrated his policies in his second term. Obama would say privately that the first task of an American president in the post-Bush international arena was “Don’t do stupid poo poo.”

Obama’s reticence frustrated Power and others on his national-security team who had a preference for action. Hillary Clinton, when she was Obama’s secretary of state, argued for an early and assertive response to Assad’s violence. In 2014, after she left office, Clinton told me that “the failure to help build up a credible fighting force of the people who were the originators of the protests against Assad … left a big vacuum, which the jihadists have now filled.” When The Atlantic published this statement, and also published Clinton’s assessment that “great nations need organizing principles, and ‘Don’t do stupid stuff’ is not an organizing principle,” Obama became “rip-poo poo angry,” according to one of his senior advisers. The president did not understand how “Don’t do stupid poo poo” could be considered a controversial slogan. Ben Rhodes recalls that “the questions we were asking in the White House were ‘Who exactly is in the stupid-poo poo caucus? Who is pro–stupid poo poo?’ ” The Iraq invasion, Obama believed, should have taught Democratic interventionists like Clinton, who had voted for its authorization, the dangers of doing stupid poo poo. (Clinton quickly apologized to Obama for her comments, and a Clinton spokesman announced that the two would “hug it out” on Martha’s Vineyard when they crossed paths there later.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Somehow it was the 'rip-poo poo angry' that instantly brought back all the contents of that piece.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

‘Don’t do stupid stuff’?

That's just plain anti American!

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

I'm kind of shocked this hasn't been a bigger story. I get why the right is staying quiet about it (can't use the "follow instructions be respectful" canard, can't go full racist on the officer without undermining blue lives matter), but there hasn't been much from the left either, and I'm not sure why. I guess it could be deep down people know if they push this story they likely could get a murder conviction of the black immigrant Muslim officer, but the next white officer that kills an unarmed black man will still get off scot free and no one wants to deal with that.

It's probably naively optimistic to hope that a murder conviction in this case would give a precedent to the same happening the next time it's an unarmed black man as the victim, but the officer in question should still go to jail here because WTF... Firing multiple rounds at a person just approaching your vehicle, come on. If this slides, the police are officially in paramilitary territory and not community protection (as opposed to unofficially).

Oh and lol at "loud noise." That's even lamer than "reached for my gun."

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 19, 2017

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
When in North Korea, expect to get jailed.
When in America, expect to get shot.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

‘Don’t do stupid stuff’?

That's just plain anti American!

I can't believe someone who's friends with Kissinger could be have horrible opinions on foreign policy!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think the left isn't pushing the story because we'd be accused of politicizing a tragedy.

Yes, I'm well aware of the irony.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'm pretty sure the Russians have a recording of their meeting with Donald Jr. Audio at least, probably video too. They had to have known this was improper from Trump's perspective so they would have wanted to collect as much evidence as possible for blackmail purposes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

3 of those animals should be invisible, one should be shuffling back and forth between existing and not.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Blind Pineapple posted:

I'm kind of shocked this hasn't been a bigger story.

It's being reported everywhere in Australia.

The general consensus from a variety of media across the political spectrum seeming to be, in short:

1) It's a tragedy, poor Australian white lady.
2) Police violence in US is hosed, and far to common.
3) guilty or not the Police probably won't prosecute.

Far from all of the US police shooting stories make it over here, but enough have that everyone who even sort of keeps up with the news probably had some idea it was a continuing issue over there, so seeing a lot more shocked, 'it could happen to one of us!' takes, than any surprise that it happened at all.

evilmiera posted:

3 of those animals should be invisible, one should be shuffling back and forth between existing and not.

I also like how it's implying Trump is going to kill then eat/sell off American jobs. As well as his own SCOTUS pick.

Watch out Gorsuch! Trumps coming right round to eat you flesh, after he's burnt to a crisp, and covered it in ketchup.

Someone should tell the secrete service...

I guess.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 19, 2017

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

It's great how there's 5 that are labeled, and a shitload more unlabeled because he can't think of any more accomplishments but wants to insinuate there are more

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SgtScruffy posted:

It's great how there's 5 that are labeled, and a shitload more unlabeled because he can't think of any more accomplishments but wants to insinuate there are more

And of those, his only actual significant accomplishment has been appointing Gorsuch. Which was entirely the doing of our favorite evil tortoise.

I'm surprised he didn't include something about withdrawing from the Paris Accords or the Muslim ban, because that's about all of the immediate harm done so far.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SgtScruffy posted:

Also how, because the cartoonist has no idea to draw, he's made it so the only way could even fit in that car is if he has the tiniest of baby legs.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

evilmiera posted:

Those are beef cattle and will be slaughtered for short term benefit soon. Quite apt IMO.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pellisworth posted:

And of those, his only actual significant accomplishment has been appointing Gorsuch. Which was entirely the doing of our favorite evil tortoise.

I'm surprised he didn't include something about withdrawing from the Paris Accords or the Muslim ban, because that's about all of the immediate harm done so far.

Well he could of put in some of his cabinet picks as well I guess. Like it's something that Trump actually bothered to do, sort of.

Suprised he didn't seem to do one 'Epic Tweets!' or something, as tweeting has seem to be Trumps primary focus so far.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

lol you're giving them way too much credit. Trump campaigned on a healthcare plan where "no one would die in the street." They aren't open about it at all, they lie through their teeth.

The rhetoric I've heard from some recently is that it's not a right it's a responsibility (otherwise the poor medical doctor becomes an indentured servant).

I feel like they're floating a trial balloon to see if it's too over the top prosperity-gospely but early results look good (or terrifying, depending on your perspective)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah the subject matter doesn't piss me off any more than I get angry about how a talking cat in a can't be real. There's just something about the drawings though that really grates on me and the best I can explain it is to compare it to the intentionally over-labeled, badly-caricatured "this is how you should feel!" cartoons of Kelly.

For fucks sake his "caricature" of CNN is a body with a CNN logo for a head. I know conservative "humor" is generally awful low effort poo poo but drat.

The CNN thing is probably a reference to the the_donald gif Trump tweeted of himself beating up CNN shortly after the dickhead from Montana choke-slammed a reporter, then won his special election and faced no meaningful consequences from either the law or his party. Because in Garrison's world, that's something to be proud of.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

The CNN thing is probably a reference to the the_donald gif Trump tweeted of himself beating up CNN shortly after the dickhead from Montana choke-slammed a reporter, then won his special election and faced no meaningful consequences from either the law or his party. Because in Garrison's world, that's something to be proud of.

Boy, it's amazing how quickly the whole "Did CNN threaten a gif maker?!?" story died off when the Russian meeting bomb dropped.

Is Fox News still talking about it?

E: VVV :golfclap: :perfect:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

evilmiera posted:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what does that even mean?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dr_rat posted:

Also how, because the cartoonist has no idea to draw, he's made it so the only way could even fit in that car is if he has the tiniest of baby legs.

Actually, if you imagine that the car is actually one of those toy cars with the hollowed out hood, his legs might fit just fine.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is it depicting trump driving into the sunset and leaving his campaign promises behind? Is the wall depicted as a unicorn because neither one of them will ever be seen on the US/Mexico border? I'm legit confused can we get someone with a SILENT MAJORITY avatar to explain that cartoon because its 6 am and I'm still drinking Dayblazer and can't understand what the gently caress that cartoon is trying to say

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

trump evidently has some serious dick sucking lips

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Reverand maynard posted:

is it depicting trump driving into the sunset and leaving his campaign promises behind? Is the wall depicted as a unicorn because neither one of them will ever be seen on the US/Mexico border? I'm legit confused can we get someone with a SILENT MAJORITY avatar to explain that cartoon because its 6 am and I'm still drinking Dayblazer and can't understand what the gently caress that cartoon is trying to say

It's a humorous goon edit of an actual pro-Trump cartoon that was posted a page or so back.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah I realized that after I posted it but that still begs the question: is it depicting him leaving his campaign promises in the dust?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Reverand maynard posted:

yeah I realized that after I posted it but that still begs the question: is it depicting him leaving his campaign promises in the dust?

I think the metaphor is that he has claimed them as his cattle, i.e. delivered. He's not leaving them behind, he's just out for a drive.

e: hopefully this just means I'm a redneck for getting the context, and most will be as bewildered as you

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Reverand maynard posted:

Original expression is "all hat, no cattle," which means a person is all talk.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Reverand maynard posted:

The sign says Trump ranch, they're his cattle, his "big wins"

He's just dunking on CNN on his way from there to the White House.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Am I remembering correctly that Trump doesn't actually have a license?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

My personal expertise is in cardiovascular implants, and there have been huge advances in even just the past decade to the point where some procedures no longer call for open heart surgery. Yes, companies charge more for the device, but it's legitimately both significantly more complicated and costly to make (some delivery systems are one-shot disposable devices that cost in the hundreds to thousands to manufacture), and also a giant step forward for patient welfare.

I know nothing about hearts, since where I am they're not really a solution for any of our patients.

I was referring specifically hip, knee, and shoulder replacements. Hip and Knee specifically haven't changed dramatically in years. Like there's only so many ways to put a ball into a socket. Whatever rollout costs exist were more than made up for by now, and that's the majority of implant surgeries. There's no reason for them to cost as much as they do in the united states.

Important note: get your diabetes under control, goons.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

Original expression is "all hat, no cattle," which means a person is all talk.

I prefer the 'All mouth, no trousers' version myself.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pumpinglemma posted:

No kidding. One of the links I followed yesterday had user comments right up top by the story or video or whatever it was, and one of the topmost responses was a right wing guy saying quite eruditely that Democrats won't ever win by being polite. "We won everything even after one of our guys choke slammed a reporter," he said quite proudly.

Not a hint of shame at winning by these tactics or by having to put up with these people. No sense of having been "tainted" by foul discourse. No sense that there has been any loss of honor or decorum. And certainly no sense that governing is the thing to be interested in, or doing good for the people who elected you. All that matters is winning, by any means necessary.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Data Graham posted:

No kidding. One of the links I followed yesterday had user comments right up top by the story or video or whatever it was, and one of the topmost responses was a right wing guy saying quite eruditely that Democrats won't ever win by being polite. "We won everything even after one of our guys choke slammed a reporter," he said quite proudly.

Not a hint of shame at winning by these tactics or by having to put up with these people. No sense of having been "tainted" by foul discourse. No sense that there has been any loss of honor or decorum. And certainly no sense that governing is the thing to be interested in, or doing good for the people who elected you. All that matters is winning, by any means necessary.

They want bloodshed, because they think they'll win.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

Am I remembering correctly that Trump doesn't actually have a license?

To be fair, that's true for a lot of people who lived in NYC their whole lives, not just rich weirdos.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Kylra posted:

Blackmail.

Who is going to believe it? America doesn't like facts anymore, Putin. Go right ahead and release it, we won't even believe it is real even if its still dripping wet.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kekekela posted:

The rhetoric I've heard from some recently is that it's not a right it's a responsibility (otherwise the poor medical doctor becomes an indentured servant).

The first serious campaign against wage slavery comes from an unexpected place.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

WampaLord posted:

To be fair, that's true for a lot of people who lived in NYC their whole lives, not just rich weirdos.

Which you'd know if you watched Futurama.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kekekela posted:

I feel like they're floating a trial balloon to see if it's too over the top prosperity-gospely but early results look good (or terrifying, depending on your perspective)

yeah who was that on chris matthews yesterday, some representative who was also a doctor?

Matthews straight up asked "is being healthy a right" and the guy responded "they don't have a right to my expertise and experience" which you'd think be hard to reconcile with the hippocratic oath

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mantis42 posted:

I can't believe someone who's friends with Kissinger could be have horrible opinions on foreign policy!

Neither of the two was completely wrong, actually. Obama's aversion to doing stupid poo poo was definitely refreshing after the military adventurism of W, but Clinton's insistence that there be broader, consistent guiding principles to the administration's foreign policy and her frustration with what seems to be at times a primarily reactive policy agenda are both very real criticisms of Obama's approach.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah who was that on chris matthews yesterday, some representative who was also a doctor?

Matthews straight up asked "is being healthy a right" and the guy responded "they don't have a right to my expertise and experience" which you'd think be hard to reconcile with the hippocratic oath

More like hypocritical oath, amirite :smug:

• Locked thread