Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Curious how they'll implement that, knowing how much legalese has gone into isolating the main entity of these businesses from any problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I wonder what the charge would have been if the kid had run someone over?

Wonder no more

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-30/caleb-jakobsson-sentenced-over-monkey-bike-death-carrum-downs/8570490

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
except the dude who killed Elijah deliberately hit him with the car, I thought?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

To the majority of people MRAs vs Strident feminists and antifa vs UPF etc might as well be televised goblin battles.

Wow hot take whaddup

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

iajanus posted:

Curious how they'll implement that, knowing how much legalese has gone into isolating the main entity of these businesses from any problems

They will have to win a state election first of all.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Tokamak posted:

They will have to win a state election first of all.

So basically impossible then

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

God loving drat it Mr Foley you just almost made me have hope.

For NSW.

:smithicide:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Aesculus posted:

God loving drat it Mr Foley you just almost made me have hope.

For NSW.

:smithicide:

Greyhounds.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

except the dude who killed Elijah deliberately hit him with the car, I thought?

Doesn't seem to be the case.

Obviously the guy says it wasn't deliberate but it's not alleged by the prosecution. Unless the protests are suggesting that it should have been.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If I ever meet the Premier, I'ma ask em to try and get the name of the state changed. South Australia is just so goddamn unoriginal.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Inescapable Duck posted:

If I ever meet the Premier, I'ma ask em to try and get the name of the state changed. South Australia is just so goddamn unoriginal.

Rename it Windworld

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

NEW New Even Souther Wales

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I'll call it :mediocre:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Ever since I was taught growing up that South Australians are "Mexicans" I've wished you would name yourselves New South Mexico. Please pass this along if you ever run into your premier.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Do that all you want. We're going to have a big gently caress-off battery.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
South Australia: Vineyards and not much else

Slap that on your state license plates. No charge.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And in news which will surprise absolutely nobody - more penalty rates to disapear.

SMH posted:

Ai Group in bid to trim hairdresser penalty rates

Sunday penalty rates for hairdressers would be reduced from double time to time-and-a-half under an Australian Industry Group application for a change to the award on behalf of Hair & Beauty Australia.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
terror theatre ongoing

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-...c&sf102027902=1

article posted:

A source has told the ABC the plot was believed to relate to an attack on an aeroplane but it was understood police are trying to work out whether the threat was credible.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

DancingShade posted:

South Australia: These Germans Got One Thing Right, At Least

South Australia: A real barrel of laughs

Deepest, Darkest South Australia

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Umm what do you put in a museum in Parramatta? I'm struggling here.

The museum of Maximum Choppage? Cabramatta, Parramatta, whatever.

freebooter posted:

Economic stuff aside, I appreciate the open space of Australia. I grew up in WA going camping and doing outdoorsy stuff all the time. In London the best I could do was getting a $50 train ride to a forest for a daytrip and wandering around bumping into heaps of other walkers and ramblers. Living in the East End, taking the tube every day, I seriously felt like I was suffocating sometimes, it was a bad time in my life. Now I live in Melbourne and never really leave the city either, but I know that open space is there if I need it, and living in a city of 5 million is way more breathable than a city of 20 million. I know that sounds loving stupid but it really did affect me in London - that mental knowledge that even if I got out of the city I was still in a country as densely populated as Bangladesh, I was never really going to be out of sight of another human being. It was stifling, it was claustrophobic.

As much as I appreciate Australian labour laws and wages, suburban Perth blows. I'd rather have a sprawling, lively metropolis than endless fields of sidewalk-less cul-de-sacs and perfectly manicured green lawns that require desalinization plants to keep from wilting in the summer. Also, being thousands of kilometres away from everything starts to gnaw at your psyche after about ohhh I'd say 3-6 months.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Danmurphistan

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Real or theatre, I'm just glad the police here stay on top of the issue rather than letting it get out of hand ala Britain, France etc.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

DancingShade posted:

At least I can afford a house :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Danmurphistan

I think this is my favourite so far.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Futuresight posted:

Ever since I was taught growing up that South Australians are "Mexicans" I've wished you would name yourselves New South Mexico. Please pass this along if you ever run into your premier.

What the?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

According to Northern Territorians, obviously.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

You never heard South Australians called Mexicans because they're to the south?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Gorilla Salad posted:

And in news which will surprise absolutely nobody - more penalty rates to disapear.

Dam young people why arent they pumping money into the economy! Bunch of stingy layabouts.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Futuresight posted:

You never heard South Australians called Mexicans because they're to the south?

No, never. lmao.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
To be honest I have only ever heard Victorians called Mexicans for that reason

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Freudian Slip posted:

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Freudian Slip posted:

I'd rather be a Mexican than an American

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I've just finished reading Mandouh Habib's book and the level at which we are being lied to by the AFP, DFAT and ASIO is very depressing. Every single house in Australia has items that could be presented as bomb precursors. I was however wrong about the Lindt cafe siege so maybe this was justified.

Fanatic posted:

Real or theatre, I'm just glad the police here stay on top of the issue rather than letting it get out of hand ala Britain, France etc.
Is this a troll because surely no one is that loving idiotric.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/061215/what-countries-spend-antiterrorism.asp

quote:

Immediately following the January attacks, France vowed to maintain 7,500 military jobs that were originally slated to be cut. They also deployed more than 10,000 extra troops across France. Then in April, 2015, France went even further. As reported by the Wall Street Journal, France dedicated 7,000 soldiers to homeland security to counter terrorist attacks. They also raised counter-terrorism spending over the next four years by €3.8 billion, increasing the current spend of €31.4 billion. How does the spend by the US and France compare with the rest of the world? Although confirming counter-terror expenditures by country is a difficult task, we can look at overall military spending as a rough proxy for counter-terrorism spending. Below, we discuss countries that spend the most on their militaries and trends in military spending.

Total Military Spending by Country

The United States leads the pack in total military spending, but beginning in 1988, military spending in the United States began a long decline. This changed in 2001 when a significant ramp up was seen, coinciding with the terrorist attacks of September 11th. Spending increased over the next decade until 2010, when military spending began a decline that has continued through 2014. Many other NATO allied countries have followed a similar, albeit at a much lower total spend trend.

quote:

The Bottom Line

The United States continues to lead the global terrorism fight if judged by its total military spending. China, Russia, the United Kingdom, and Japan round out the top five military spending nations. After the terror attacks of 2001, global military spending increased year-over-year from 3 to 5.7 percent until 2009. Global military spending has leveled off since 2010. However, the recent uptick in terror activity has many countries, most notably France, considering and committing to increasing the amount of spend on counter terrorism activities.

But hey if you want to believe that, Tom Switzer has a bridge to sell you:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/sundayextra/sunday-roundtable/8750114

quote:

Sunday Roundtable Sunday 30 July 2017 9:40AM (view full episode)

'Inequality' was a potent rallying call for Bernie Sanders in the US and Jeremy Corbyn in Britain and it was at the heart of Donald Trump’s promise to return jobs and wealth to America’s forgotten working class. In Australia a political argument has erupted following Bill Shorten’s promise that tackling inequality would be his ‘defining mission’ if Labor wins the next election. So what defines inequality, is it just about an income gap, and in Australia, is it more perception than reality?

Supporting Information

John Carroll - Professor Emeritus of Sociology, La Trobe University; author of forthcoming book: Land of the Golden Cities: Australia's exceptional prosperity and the culture that made it (Connor Court, 2017)
Greg Jericho - Economics writer and columnist for The Guardia Australia

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I might have gotten them mixed up then. It's been a long time since I heard it and I do remember that South Australians are crow-eaters.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bill Shorten just announced he is gonna close family trust tax avoidance loopholes.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Anidav posted:

Bill Shorten just announced he is gonna close family trust tax avoidance loopholes.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-30/bill-shorten-reveals-plan-to-crack-down-on-family-trusts/8757628

quote:

Finance Minister Mathias Cormann called the plan an attack on small business.
"This is ultimately going to be a tax hike, in particular, on the many small business operators across Australia who use trusts structures as a legitimate way of managing their financial affairs," he said.
"Bill Shorten is going to try and create this impression that he can take $17 billion out of the economy but no-one's going to have to pay.
"Small business people across Australia will want to know where he's going to get that $17 billion, out of which pockets?"
m hm

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Reading about Chris Lilley releasing "squashed nigga" song three days after that kid got killed and how he says friend of the family fifteen times in under two minutes.

Cool and good. Very funny material.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JBP posted:

"Chris Lilley" "Cool and good. Very funny material."

It's been a while since I last saw these two statements in such close proximity to one-another.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Facebook's 'On This Day' feature recently showed me a complimentary post I made about the finale of Angry Boys, which means that I both willingly watched Angry Boys through to the finale and thought it good enough to compliment.

It is the most shameful thing I've ever seen from my past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I watched that show and there was one funny part: the song in question was used for the opening credits but you don't get to hear the lyrics until the final episode.

I'm not sure if this is an intentional joke.

• Locked thread