Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Vahakyla posted:

She is a well educated, charismatic person with a distinguished career, a clean past, and she is a progressive, and she is portrayed well in the literature about her and her career. She's the ideal USMC Officer, and broke barriers herself.
She is pretty much exactly the kind of candidate the Dems need, I don't understand how one can argue against that with a straight face.

To be fair, wanting to go overseas to bomb poor browns probably holds more weight than a distinguished career, a clean past or being a progressive.

e:
More Saluki Dogs

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It becomes law in 10 days automatically

SubponticatePoster posted:

2/3 majority can override a veto. Or if he's too busy tweeting and watching the news and doesn't veto it within a certain amount of time iirc it becomes law anyway.

Awesome.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

Trump directing Fox News to report on Seth Rich and Trump dictating his son's meeting with the Russian lawyer.... good lord.

I know Trump has done 50 things that would have gotten him impeached in any other point in American history, and "nothing matters" anymore, but jesus christ, there has to be some breaking point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5FzCeV0ZFc

Remember when Howard Dean couldn't possibly be President because his weird guttural yet at the same time falsetto scream was just too unpresidential? What was that like 2004? Too unpresidential......must have been cause he was a Democrat and they're allowed to do like 5% of the batshit crazy things Republicans seem to be able to do if they want any chance at hell in hell at the Presidency. I'm only convinced Obama won against McCain because he managed to tap into some milder sense of populism and a youth movement at just the right time much like Trump and because Bush was so unpopular at a time of less Partisianship that it dragged the Republican banner down just enough. I think by the time he practically became a meme with the Hope poster it was in the cards.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5FzCeV0ZFc

Remember when Howard Dean couldn't possibly be President because his weird guttural yet at the same time falsetto scream was just too unpresidential? What was that like 2004? Too unpresidential......must have been cause he was a Democrat and they're allowed to do like 5% of the batshit crazy things Republicans seem to be able to do if they want any chance at hell in hell at the Presidency. I'm only convinced Obama won against McCain because he managed to tap into some milder sense of populism and a youth movement at just the right time much like Trump and because Bush was so unpopular at a time of less Partisianship that it dragged the Republican banner down just enough. I think by the time he practically became a meme with the Hope poster it was in the cards.

Deans campaign was already hosed before the scream.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Deans campaign was already hosed before the scream.

Thank you. The scream did not kill Dean's campaign, if anything, it endeared people to him.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Petr posted:

It's true! Look at the rap sheet. Also, the post got deleted.

That's dumb.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I can't wait for all the "progressives" to start attacking democrats because they chose to run a veteran in Kentucky.

Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with these people? Bernie Sander's platform doesn't win a house seat in Kentucky.

I'm sure we'll be relitigating the 2020 primaries in 2018.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Coming in a distant 3rd place in Iowa with only 18% of the vote is what killed Dean's campaign.

After that, John Edwards (lol) cannibalized most of Dean's support.

The Dean scream was just a "kick them when they're down" thing that got really popular because we still had a certain expectation of dignity for national political figures back then.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I can't wait for all the "progressives" to start attacking democrats because they chose to run a veteran in Kentucky.

Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with these people? Bernie Sander's platform doesn't win a house seat in Kentucky.

The rare preemptive "the BernieBros are at it again!" - I like your gumption, no need to wait.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm sure people have already started calling her a baby killer.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

This is a couple hours old, might have been mentioned, but since were talkin' bout Armageddon

https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/892396340830928896

"Sen. Lindsey Graham: Trump Says War With North Korea an Option"

A war with NoKo is dependent on all warheads getting blown up before they can be used. And while the icbm system isn't deployed yet, other systems that could do express delivery to Seoul certainly are. Maybe Tokyo, maybe american military bases receiving personnel in preparation.

There's a lot of unacceptable "if"s here if someone fucks something up.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 1, 2017

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Rigel posted:

Mcaskill did this in Missouri. She ran "attack" ads against Todd Akin saying he was too conservative for missouri, and the dumbshit gop primary voters went ah-hah, she's scared of Akin!!!

Later that year he talked about how legitimate rape can't get a woman pregnant, and that was it for that race.

You forgot the best part of the story which is that Senator McCaskill celebrated Akin winning the primary by shotgunning a beer.
https://twitter.com/PlentyLadylike/status/630515521084112896

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What about Bernie polling higher than Hillary against Trump in 2016?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm sure people have already started calling her a baby killer.

She's a jarhead so it's probably not the worst thing she's been called.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You can go read the Dems suck thread anytime you want.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

BlueberryCanary posted:

A "de facto permanent shutdown" would mean the literal end of the United States as a nation. Without the military maintaining a monopoly on violence - a political science term - there would be an immense power vacuum. Americans would need another way to protect themselves from foreign intrusion, and so would be forced to make their own militaries. This would likely be spearheaded by state governments, considering their strong organization and the large amount of faith Americans already put into them. And without the federal government, there would be nothing to prevent this clearly unconstitutional move.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but this sort of thing is very well studied and occurs in a very predictable manner.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing at all. The military does not cease to function during a government shutdown. I'm talking about the kind of Shutdown that happened in 2013, where 800,000 federal workers were furloughed. You can read more about it on Wikipedia, but here's a topline summary of what was affected:

quote:

4.1 Domestic effects
4.1.1 Effect on federal government operations
4.1.2 Internal Revenue Service delays
4.1.3 Effects on non-profit organizations
4.1.4 Effect on businesses
4.1.5 Effect on Native Americans
4.1.6 Effect on the District of Columbia
4.1.7 Effect on asylum and immigration
4.1.8 Effect on shelters for domestic violence victims
4.1.9 Effect on Title IX and Clery Act Investigations
4.1.10 Effect on programs for children

Do you notice a pattern in those effects? Other than the effect on businesses who depend on military contracts, those are all programs that Republicans wish didn't exist. The GOP doesn't give a care if domestic violence shelters get shuttered - in fact, they're glad of it! If the goal of the Republicans is to "destroy the administrative state" (it is), then the shutdown is an effective tool for accomplishing that goal. That's all I'm saying. It seems like we're guaranteed a shutdown because it accomplishes Republican goals.

If section 4.1.4 turns out to hit Republicans too hard in the pocketbook, then that might be a reason we don't shut down.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
SHuckS press briefing should start shortly https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/press-briefing-press-secretary-sarah-sanders-2

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/892442899757109249

:lol:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The DEA sent out an agency-wide memo warning agents to not listen to Trump, because you will lose your job if you "rough up" someone in custody like he suggested.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/dea-acting-director-agency-wide-memo

quote:

WSJ: DEA Sent Agency-Wide Memo After Trump ‘Condoned Police Misconduct’

The acting administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration wrote to agency employees the day after President Donald Trump endorsed police abuse to “reaffirm” the agency’s principles in the face of what he said was Trump “condon[ing] police misconduct,” the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.

In a memo marked “Global Distribution” and titled “Who We Are,” according to the Journal, Chuck Rosenberg (pictured above) wrote: “The president, in remarks delivered yesterday in New York, condoned police misconduct regarding the treatment of individuals placed under arrest by law enforcement.”

Rosenberg was responding to Trump’s call on Friday for “rough” policing in the face of transnational gangs like MS13. Speaking to a law enforcement audience in Long Island, Trump celebrated suspected gang members being “thrown in” to paddy wagons, and said police officers “can take the hand away” from handcuffed individuals’ heads as they are guided into the back seat of police cars — suggesting that police officers ought to harm arrestees as a form of vigilante justice. Audience members responded positively to Trump’s speech.

Before being appointed acting DEA administrator, Rosenberg served in several federal roles in both the George W. Bush and Barack Obama administrations.

Rosenberg wrote that the comments required a response, despite his belief that no “special agent or task force officer of the DEA would mistreat a defendant,” the Journal reported.

He added: “I write to offer a strong reaffirmation of the operating principles to which we, as law enforcement professionals, adhere […] I write because we have an obligation to speak out when something is wrong. That’s what law enforcement officers do. That’s what you do. We fix stuff. At least, we try.”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

This is a couple hours old, might have been mentioned, but since were talkin' bout Armageddon

A war with NoKo is dependent on all warheads getting blown up before they can be used. And while the icbm system isn't deployed yet, other systems that could do express delivery to Seoul certainly are. Maybe Tokyo, maybe american military bases receiving personnel in preparation.

i honestly believe he will do it or at least try. he wants to be remembered and if he "solves" the korean issue then he will have a legacy. i think he will just start bombing one day or announce it on twitter.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-korea/sen-lindsey-graham-trump-says-war-north-korea-option-n788396

Do the nukes even matter? The north has thousands of hidden artillery cannons all aimed and ready to go at carpeting Seoul in artillery. They could probably lob a few waves of incendiary rounds into the heart of the city and just watch the fireworks.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Trabisnikof posted:

You can go read the Dems suck thread anytime you want.

That thread is unreadable, and we would all be better off if the regular posters in it were banned, the thread was gassed, and then posting in bad faith and lovely gimmicks would also be bannable again.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Imo the days when just being a troop should buy credibility were over with the last days of the draft. Being a troop now is a decision with huge risks and costs but also pretty substantial professional rewards.

Otoh I live in a country where I'm on a different page with enough plausible democratic party voters on that count that I'm just letting it ride.

Otooh we still need to have a big reckoning with our cultural military worship and that conversation is not enabled by going forward with military experience as a selling point. So I dunno.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Nucleic Acids posted:

So, how long till the "calls for this start growing"?

The entire House GOP caucus could be "calling for it" and it still wouldn't matter. The used car salesmen and Regent University lawyers in the House's opinions about the Senate are worth a pile of horseshit. Actually worth less, horseshit can be used as fertilizer.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

Do the nukes even matter? The north has thousands of hidden artillery cannons all aimed and ready to go at carpeting Seoul in artillery. They could probably lob a few waves of incendiary rounds into the heart of the city and just watch the fireworks.

Regardless of who starts and/or finishes a war with NK, South Korea is going to have a VERY bad day.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Does anyone else think that unless we resolve things peacefully with North Korea, we pretty much have no option but to invade sometime soon? Better now than 2 years from now when they can reliably hit a major city in the US?

Retro42 posted:

Regardless of who starts and/or finishes a war with NK, South Korea is going to have a VERY bad day.

This

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

mod sassinator posted:

Even if they have no way of launching them, if North Korea is invaded the leaders will probably realize that their day is done and detonate tactical nukes in combat. Invading NK is a disastrous, moronic idea.

Randbrick posted:

Imo the days when just being a troop should buy credibility were over with the last days of the draft. Being a troop now is a decision with huge risks and costs but also pretty substantial professional rewards.

Otoh I live in a country where I'm on a different page with enough plausible democratic party voters on that count that I'm just letting it ride.

Otooh we still need to have a big reckoning with our cultural military worship and that conversation is not enabled by going forward with military experience as a selling point. So I dunno.

On the other hand, American society is arranged in a way that joining the armed forces in order to not become homeless is an understandable decision.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

And if I join the Trump administration, I'm the one who won't get betrayed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Trabisnikof posted:

Most of the year voting machines are stored unsecured in sheds and warehouses. The people who run elections are volunteers with basically no background check or anything. Physical access isn't that hard to aquire as you're acting like it is.

Actually it is a lot harder for a random poll judge to tamper with a sealed ballot box than for them to tamper with a voting machine. Plus there will be physical evidence to hide/destroy if you're tampering with paper ballots but no such concern with voting machines, since we don't mandate a paper trail.

Remember after the shitshow of the 2000 election when everyone said the solution was electronic voting machines. Yeah. Who could have predicted that that might make the problem even worse?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

McGrath looks good to me, but Kentucky is actually exactly the sort of place where a Bernie Sanders platform would do well: lots of working class folks whose communities have suffered from globalization over the past few decades, a popular state health care exchange, a heavy degree of dissatisfaction with Trumpcare, etc. Populism works in places in like Kentucky.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Majorian posted:

McGrath looks good to me, but Kentucky is actually exactly the sort of place where a Bernie Sanders platform would do well: lots of working class folks whose communities have suffered from globalization over the past few decades, a popular state health care exchange, a heavy degree of dissatisfaction with Trumpcare, etc. Populism works in places in like Kentucky.

Nothing about being a veteran means you can't have a progressive platform. McGrath is smartly focusing on Obamacare because the GOP trying to burn it to the ground is basically THE issue right now.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The pivot is gonna happen guys! Aaaaaaaaaaany day now...

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

You just know that was Chuck Todd.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Enigma89 posted:

Does anyone else think that unless we resolve things peacefully with North Korea, we pretty much have no option but to invade sometime soon? Better now than 2 years from now when they can reliably hit a major city in the US?

Nope. There's no reason to invade ever really, unless they forcibly try to take back SK and then I believe we're treaty bound. But them just having a nuke doesn't mean we should invade. Lots of countries have nukes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

Nothing about being a veteran means you can't have a progressive platform. McGrath is smartly focusing on Obamacare because the GOP trying to burn it to the ground is basically THE issue right now.

This. In districts that voted for Hillary, "gently caress Trump!" is the message. In districts that voted for Trump, healthcare is the message.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I like how people talk about Heinrich Himmler Kelly like he's somehow a moderating influence....

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Retro42 posted:

How much will RAM and electronics prices spike?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Hellblazer187 posted:

Nope. There's no reason to invade ever really, unless they forcibly try to take back SK and then I believe we're treaty bound. But them just having a nuke doesn't mean we should invade. Lots of countries have nukes.

Well that's not really the question I asked. I was asking if military action happens would you prefer it now or later? Later could be with a more competent president but further DPRK missile capabilities or now where the homeland is relatively safe but have Trump at the helm.

e:
Basically take the peaceful option off the table, what is the less worst option.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Enigma89 posted:

People have been saying this poo poo for decades and every crisis ends up getting defused with bags of rice.

I swear it's like nobody remembers Iraq. There are no countries whose existential purpose is the destruction of the US. Not NK, not Iran, nobody. It's a lovely situation that, believe it or not, has actually gone a lot better thanks to US involvement than it otherwise would have. It's also why we need a god drat State Department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Enigma89 posted:

e:
Basically take the peaceful option off the table, what is the less worst option.

Why is it off the table?

• Locked thread