Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NmareBfly posted:

Speaking for Lee Park specifically, the statue was erected in 1924 and has no relation to any particular historical event that happened near here. They just put up a statue of a general because that's what they wanted to put up -- just because it's been there for a while doesn't mean it's of historical value.
They put up the statue because a rich white dude bought the land, and paid for the statues, and donated it to the city with the purpose of having a specific statue of Lee in the central plaza.
Edit:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Well we're certainly not talking about Russia or the healthcare failure now are we

Yes, it's almost as if multiple things in this world can happen in succession.

None of this is a deliberate distraction. There's just an endless flood of horrible news of every type because civilization is collapsing.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Got buried somewhere last night, but far more important than a bunch of white supremacists staging a rally (which are dwarfed by the white supremacist rallies staged by the Trump campaign) is Trump making some big declaration Monday about investigating Chinese trade practices and the possible subsequent trade war.

Buckle up folks, because if you think 1-2k fascists are bad, just wait till we hit that recession.

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 12, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

If you are going to be live-posting/following this stream, do it here so we can curb "this is off topic" "no it's not (because trump is a nazi)" "omg this thread grew 200 pages all that happened is some white people are outside" arguments.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Koalas March posted:

If you are going to be live-posting/following this stream, do it here so we can curb "this is off topic" "no it's not (because trump is a nazi)" "omg this thread grew 200 pages all that happened is some white people are outside" arguments.

stop infringing on our free speech

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Liu posted:

stop infringing on our free speech

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 12, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is happening across the street from the building I work in. I'm not going into Charlottesville today.

I just don't know what to say. If there were a BLM rally in Charlottesville they'd probably have the riot gear and tear gas out. Occupy Cville protesters would never have been allowed to march through the streets open-carrying AR-15s. There was zero police presence at this rally last night. Multiple people have been attacked but I haven't heard about any arrests. The major and vice mayor (Jewish and black, respectively) have been receiving death threats. A judge overruled the decision to move the rally.

Video of people screaming "You sound like a friend of the family," "Sieg Heil," and "Blood and Soil." Forget alt-right as a label; they're Nazis. And it appears all the organs of government are doing everything they can do aid and enable this Nazi rally.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Oxxidation posted:

Yes, it's almost as if multiple things in this world can happen in succession.

None of this is a deliberate distraction. There's just an endless flood of horrible news of every type because civilization is collapsing.

Ding Ding Ding.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Peven Stan posted:

Maybe they do realize that and deep down inside don't really find nazism and fascism to be that unacceptable.

Whenever this country used to criticize the nazis for poo poo they did in the 30s before WWII they would point back and claim their policies were fully in line with American public policy (eugenics, sterilization of disabled people etc.)

I think a steelman version of the argument would be this: there's a sort of national peace treaty in which everyone agrees that certain tactics (such as punching) are completely off-limits as a response to political disagreements. If that's broken for any reason, it makes it easier to justify breaking it again - for example, if you break it to punch a Nazi, then that makes it more likely that an anti-choicer will break it to punch an abortion clinic doctor who they believe is a literal baby murderer. And if it gets weakened too much, given how divided the country is, the worst-case result is civil war. So while Nazis are abhorrent and thoroughly deserve punching, given that they're not a major political danger, it's worth tolerating them (within the bounds of the law) in order to preserve the wider peace.

Don't get me wrong, it's loving laughable to say that Nazis aren't a major danger when Bannon, Miller and Gorka are in the White House. And any argument which says you can safely ignore Nazis gets a lot easier to make when you're not personally at risk from them. But I get the feeling a lot of people who say this sort of thing last seriously thought about it a decade or more ago, back when Nazis really were the lunatic fringe rather than an existential threat. So probably the best way to counter the argument is to point that out - that Nazis and their allies aren't just evil, but are a clear and present danger both to minorities and (through Trump) to the whole country.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
^^^ This is a good point, too. Nazis were basically "fictional" villains to us for my entire life. Yeah, they were real, but they are so comically evil they could never stage a comeback! Right, everyone?

Now that we can see they are absolutely still here, still active, and still engaged I hope those people will come around to Camp Punch A Nazi because it's time to take the gloves off. We had weeds in the garden once before and got rid of them. As the wheel turns they regrow, and we'll remove them again. This cyclical possibility of regrowth from terrible things is why I think punching Nazis is a right and a duty. You can punch them soft before they get big but once the put down roots you might want to set the lawn on fire to fix things. Small cure up front, larger cure later, in a way.

Lightning Lord posted:

The thing is, what is there to do when the cops are basically on their side?

I don't know. That's a tough question without a good answer, and I think that's where some of them break down. They want a clever solution when the real answer is "well it sucks but you have to tear off the old, bad poo poo and start over." We're beyond easy answers to anything involving the kind of society this administration wants to propagate. I don't think everyone is ready to admit we need to roll up the sleeves and start working to correct this with action, but I really hope they are soon.

Red Baron fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 12, 2017

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Koalas March posted:

No thanks. Antifa are more facist than those weirdos in the park

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Boon posted:

Got buried somewhere last night, but far more important than a bunch of white supremacists staging a rally (which are dwarfed by the white supremacist rallies staged by the Trump campaign) is Trump making some big declaration Monday about investigating Chinese trade practices and the possible subsequent trade war.

Buckle up folks, because if you think 1-2k fascists are bad, just wait till we hit that recession.

Recession if we are lucky.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bin gar keine Russin, stamm’ aus Litauen, echt deutsch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cravius posted:

What makes Antifa more fascist than Nazis?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

weird almost like trump won on white nationalism and not because poors voted for him.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

What makes Antifa more fascist than Nazis?

The forcible oppression of opposing ideologies for starters.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

cravius posted:

Sorry for forcibly oppressing someone else's desire to plant their boot on my face and kill my neighbors.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cravius posted:

we hanged the most prominent proponents of this ideology.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

cravius posted:

Yeah, Nazis would totes never do that.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
cravius is an open racist, stop pretending you can reason with him.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

There Bias Two posted:

Sorry for forcibly oppressing someone else's desire to plant their boot on my face and kill my neighbors.

Who's advocating for killing anyone?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

cravius posted:

Which ideology are they forcibly oppressing?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
What is the Antifa presence like in the US? Is it much smaller than Europe? It feels like there should have been a decent amount of them there.

Then again, I suppose the likelihood of murder by police would make me think twice.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

cravius posted:

The people marching through the streets of Charolettesville with AR-15s for starters.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

cravius posted:

Richard "Is Black Gneocide Right?" "No seriously it'll be a PEACEFUL ethnic cleansing" Spencer, for a start. The KKK that are attending this rally, for another? Oh the dudes chanting Blood and Soil, the actual Nazi chant.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

cravius posted:

https://twitter.com/_MattSavino/status/896252168730165248

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

What is the Antifa presence like in the US? Is it much smaller than Europe? It feels like there should have been a decent amount of them there.

Then again, I suppose the likelihood of murder by police would make me think twice.

It's because Antifa in Europe oppose actual fascists whereas Antifa in the states labels anyone who doesn't fit there particular brand if progressivism a literal Nazi

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

cravius posted:

Nazis and White Supremacists advocate violence in their ideology, their very existence is a violence and thus any steps to end that violence are morally justified. Opposing that is fascist sympathizing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

drat, I hoped it was antifa but it's just white supremacists.

Turns out our grandparents died for nothing: the Nazis won WW2.

cravius posted:

The alt-right advocates for a crusade against Muslims to eradicate their religion and race.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

OK fair. Richard Spencer is a piece of poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

It's much smaller here due to the fact that we haven't had to deal with outright Nazis doing much of anything for decades.

Give it some time and we'll have a much larger antifa movement in response.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*sees a bunch of whit eguys doing nazi salutes and crying about jews taking over* i don't see how you guys can call them fascists.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

cravius posted:

It's because Antifa in Europe oppose actual fascists whereas Antifa in the states labels anyone who doesn't fit there particular brand if progressivism a literal Nazi

I hope your parents are ashamed of you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

*sees a bunch of whit eguys doing nazi salutes and crying about jews taking over* i don't see how you guys can call them fascists.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's much smaller here due to the fact that we haven't had to deal with outright Nazis doing much of anything for decades.

Give it some time and we'll have a much larger antifa movement in response.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

cravius posted:

OK fair. Richard Spencer is a piece of poo poo.

And his buddy Kessler is the major organizer here. New York Times link to the story, you know if the Blood and Soil nazi salute poo poo somehow wasn't enough. Your "opposing ideology" in this situation is a bunch of people who want to murder a whole bunch of other people for the dread crime of not being white.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

There's nothing more American than loving nazis up.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
*some edgelords in a park doing Nazis salutes*

the dawn of the 4th Reich is surely upon us!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

cravius posted:

Haha. Shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cravius posted:

*some edgelords in a park doing Nazis salutes*

the dawn of the 4th Reich is surely upon us!

when hundreds of nazis are holding a rally in the heart of a major american city with the police implicitly on their side, yes, it is cause for concern

• Locked thread