Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol top dog llc is a hot dog stand

and uh their site: http://www.topdoghotdogs.com/propergander.html

Blindeye posted:

By Top Dog do they mean the lolbertarian hot dog place in Berkeley? I've been there and it's full of the most batshit insane Objectivist/Libertarian poo poo scrawled all over the walls and stacks of pamphlets about Hayek and poo poo by the door.

Has good hot dogs, but if Nazis worked there I'd not be surprised.

That's the place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Withnail posted:

Is there some nazi significance to this plate number?

No that's the standard ohio plate format. 3 letters 4 numbers.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Re: Germany

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/world/europe/germany-military-far-right-extremists-terror-plot-nazi.html

quote:

Military police searching through barracks turned up Nazi-era military memorabilia that revealed a much broader presence of far-right extremists in the German Army’s ranks, something commanders are now accused of having long ignored.

They are currently investigating 275 cases involving accusations of racism or far-right extremism stretching back six years, according to the Defense Ministry. The number represents a small minority in a force of nearly 180,000. But nearly 70 percent of cases have emerged in the last year and a half, pointing to an accelerating problem that German military authorities are only now scrambling to address.
After World War II, the reconstituted German Army was formed in 1955 in the former West Germany as a conscription force, with the aim of ensuring peace by defending the national borders.

Since its founding, the military has instituted measures to distance itself from, and stigmatize, its Nazi-era antecedent. Since 1982, a 30-point decree has stipulated which traditions and norms guide the forces, and which do not.

Yet many barracks were built in the 1930s. A few, like the Rommel Barracks in the western district of Lippe, still bear the names of Hitler’s generals.

Turns out they're not doing so hot either.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

okay again, more people have been killed at BLM events though.

they were talking about this specific event and the guy that shot those cops wasn't a leftist or part of the event. you're dumb as gently caress holy poo poo.

far right extremists kill more people in a year than leftists will ever.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Jesus at least attempt to read the links man

It's not like it's called the Anti-Swastika Law. Of course they thought of your obvious criticism!

Yeah, but the reason it works well in Germany and wouldn't work here is because even the conservatives in Germany recognize the danger and destruction that come from the Nazis, while here in America, conservatives do everything they can to gather Nazi and Klan support without publicly admitting it, and they would poison any attempt to keep the interpretation modern.

We'd get a law outlawing swastikas on a red flag, and as soon as the KEK flag and Pepes showed up, the Republicans would scream that those are ironic/innocent/different and can't be touched, and congrats, you've done nothing except wait why did the letters B L and M get banned

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahaha so the people that helped make him alt right fired him.

At least they're properly anti-war libertarian. Their second post basically calls Truman a war criminal for dropping the bomb and effectively condemns war with NK. This is the only part of classical Libertarianism that still makes any kind of sense.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure this is just Trump.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

they were talking about this specific event and the guy that shot those cops wasn't a leftist or part of the event. you're dumb as gently caress holy poo poo.

It's almost like he's being disingenuous as gently caress.

I wonder why. What kind of person thinks they gain something by dismissing concerns about white nationalists with rhetoric about dogwhistles about violent black people? Hmm.

makes u think

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Alternatively you can read that as "they have problems too but they actually do stuff about their problems instead of just pretending they're not there".

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, but the reason it works well in Germany and wouldn't work here is because even the conservatives in Germany recognize the danger and destruction that come from the Nazis, while here in America, conservatives do everything they can to gather Nazi and Klan support without publicly admitting it, and they would poison any attempt to keep the interpretation modern.

We'd get a law outlawing swastikas on a red flag, and as soon as the KEK flag and Pepes showed up, the Republicans would scream that those are ironic/innocent/different and can't be touched, and congrats, you've done nothing except wait why did the letters B L and M get banned

totally agreed. Americans are brain-broke and like to kiss and gently caress their useless, outdated Constitution.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

skeleton warrior posted:

American exceptionalism

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It's entertaining watching the goalposts shift from "Well it would be impossible to come up with a law against Nazis" to "Well the Republicans would stop any anti-Nazi law being implemented" when presented with perfectly good anti-Nazi laws

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Jesus at least attempt to read the links man

It's not like it's called the Anti-Swastika Law. Of course they thought of your obvious criticism!

That's fair, though it seems that (in this country at least) it could easily used against groups you support as well (depending on whoever is in charge of enforcing the law).

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Josh Lyman posted:

Are any mainstream sources blaming the counter-protestors? Like "lol you were asking for it... and by it I mean getting run over and killed by a car."

Not really, no. Everyone but the White House seems to be on the same page. USAToday, of all sources, shat all over Trumps statements yesterday.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that a law won't be perfectly implemented is such a weird argument. do we do away with laws against murder or assault and such because they're disproportionately used against people of color and the poor? do we eliminate rape laws because 90+ percent of rapists will never see a jail cell?

do we do away with law in general because the rich avoid consequences?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/896751037444313090

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

Based on his statements yesterday, I have to wonder:

If Russia made a statement condemning white nationalists, which would Donald Trump side with?

hahahaha Putin condemning white nationalists hahahaha

The only Nazis Russia will condemn are the homonazis, but not the actual nazis that helped ruin Ukraine that were totally not Russian btw.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Eh this isn't really related to anything people are talking about but the ACLU pushing for the Nazis to march in Skokie is pretty frequently held up as an example of the ACLU fighting for everyone's right to free speech. But the Nazis were just asked to move their rally so they wouldn't be marching through a town of majority Holocaust survivors for purposes of intimidation. I guess, theoretically, by this legal precedent, black nationalists could march through a town of majority white people advocating the genocide of the white race but you'd have to be a real loving idiot to think that would be tolerated by police for a second. They won a theoretical victory for free speech but effectively just supported Nazis in their goal of intimidating people who had been through more than enough already. I find it to be a pretty gross perversion of American ideals and I don't think we would have been worse off as a country now if the Nazis had just moved their rally.

We're not going to have actually free speech in the country until institutional racism is dealt with, whatever difficult and complicated solution that requires. As it is, it's just another right that's only effectively extended to white people or people who look white enough to pass, like second amendment rights are.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JessicaHuseman/status/896748953697386496

Grapplejack posted:

Could also be Bannon, Gorka, or Miller. There's no shortage of white supremacists in Trump's inner circle.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/896561546473689088

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

that a law won't be perfectly implemented is such a weird argument. do we do away with laws against murder or assault and such because they're disproportionately used against people of color and the poor? do we eliminate rape laws because 90+ percent of rapists will never see a jail cell?

do we do away with law in general because the rich avoid consequences?

I just think it's important to think about unintended consequences. Not sure why this is problematic. I mean if you had such a law here (for example created under a liberal administration), and then the pendulum swung the other way and the far right was back in power, it would be an absolute disaster as they could use the law to forbid all sorts of left-wing protest, mislabeling antifa, BLM, etc. as "hate groups."

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 13, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the head idiot, trump himself

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

virtually every law on the books has had unintended consequences (and oftentimes intended ones).

so do these guys not know what party they work for or what. the party would've withered away to nothing decades ago without it.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Grapplejack posted:

To be fair I've never heard Trump use the word 'leftist'

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gyges posted:

The ACLU argued that they should be allowed to march. The ACLU did not argue that they should be allowed to mow down pedestrians and beat up people.

This was a few pages back, but I wanted to make sure it got the derision it deserves.

Helping Nazis acquire a permit when those same Nazis were encouraging each other to be armed and coordinate with antigovernment militias is peak hand-wringing gibbering quisling "but won't someone think of the modern Nazi party and their 'free' speech."

Maybe there's a reason the ACLU is fighting legal battles for women and minorities right now on fronts whose very existence is shameful; maybe there is a loving link between enabling self-described White Identitarians and increasing the frequency and intensity of human rights violations in America.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Arturo Ui posted:

To be fair I've never heard Trump use the word 'leftist'

True, but the phrasing just made me immediately think it was Trump pretending to be a random wh official again, like he tried that one time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the aclu doesn't help every free speech case in the country, the resources used for skokie could've gone to a cause more deserving.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I just think it's important to think about unintended consequences. Not sure why this is problematic. I mean if you had such a law here (for example created under a liberal administration), and then the pendulum swung the other way and the far right was back in power, it would be an absolute disaster as they could use the law to forbid all sorts of left-wing protest, mislabeling antifa, BLM, etc. as "hate groups."

Your objections are dumb and come across as straw-clutching in defense of Nazis. The anti-Nazi laws work perfectly fine in Germany, and your objection of "well maybe Trump will make a law that says good people are bad and lock them up" is infantile. If you only made laws that could not be altered to be bad laws, you would make no laws.

And the far right is in power. You have a rapist for a president.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Gort posted:

Your objections are dumb and come across as straw-clutching in defense of Nazis. The anti-Nazi laws work perfectly fine in Germany, and your objection of "well maybe Trump will make a law that says good people are bad and lock them up" is infantile. If you only made laws that could not be altered to be bad laws, you would make no laws.

And the far right is in power. You have a rapist for a president.

We are not Germany. Anyway yes I'm clearly defending Naziism, well diagnosed. I will now go back to Stormfront.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Imagine how convincing you'd find this argument if it were coming from Richard Spencer.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Well obviously. We know how he feels about nephews.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Imagine how convincing you'd find this argument if it were coming from Richard Spencer.

i am correct and he would be incorrect.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/Scaramucci/status/896757047923834880

something that is happening right now

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Gyges posted:

Well obviously. We know how he feels about nephews.

Were they stupid enough to conflate neo-nazi with nephew-nazi? I know the answer is yes, but still.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

I think it helps that Germany has a parliamentary system in which the crazies go for something like AfD --- in shockingly high numbers, but it means the CDU doesn't have them as their base the way GOP does.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

gently caress You

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/896757384592240640

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

awesmoe posted:

Okay, it's because the laws that protect a nazi's right to peacefully protest are also protecting yours. So now you understand where they're coming from.

The gently caress is this even talking about? What rights? I recall seeing a hell of a lot of peaceful protests in the US over the last 10 years that were violently broken up by the police. Black lives matter protests. Student protests. Occupy protests. But for some reason, never nazi protests.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

this response is so dumb I actually typed up like 6 snarky replies and deleted them because it would be akin to dunking on my dementia ridden grandfather with a lovely one liner.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I guess we were just asking for trouble for entering WW2. Shame on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

These arguments are not reversible. One is morally correct and the other is not.

• Locked thread