Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jinh posted:

Can you put this in sandwich terms? We're on a (toasted) roll here

Every single topping has to be cooked, every one has to be cooked in a different manner, and if you mess up any step you throw it all into the trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

cheetah7071 posted:

Serious response: I don't know much about arthritis but maybe a controller would help. It might produce additional issues I haven't thought of but it absolutely has zero reaching always

I've actually tried controller too but the L2/R2 stuff fucks me up too so it's actually kind of worse. I didn't play with it a whole lot, though, so maybe there is a better way I'm missing. I try to look on the bright side and tell myself it keeps me off the game for extended periods of time. But I dunno, it just seems a bit frustrating from my perspective that I could reclaim like 8 buttons on DRG if people would just get over ~complexity~ on having the combo be so many different buttons. Lots of other changes mentioned in topic would be great to me, too. They could just let it be an option and let people decide for themselves, you know?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

World War Mammories posted:

look man we're all having fun here but some things are just too much

just beyond the pale

clicking is just fine. i click most everything too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Second class, and only doing roulettes, I was not running dungeons outside of roulette. So each leveling dungeon I ran 1-2 times max before I leveled to the next dungeon, depending on roulette rng. Ran mettle a total of 3 times during that (free loot each time was an accessory, no tank drops ever), doma 3 times(was lucky here, replaced chest, hat, gloves, and boots finally), and research facility place twice before I hit 70(chest piece replaced again).

Why not do dungeons outside of roulette? That seems like a very laid back way to do leveling but then again I only did Roulettes to get classes above 61 and didn't touch them until I started to do tanks again even with the cracked cluster bonus.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ruta posted:

I've actually tried controller too but the L2/R2 stuff fucks me up too so it's actually kind of worse. I didn't play with it a whole lot, though, so maybe there is a better way I'm missing. I try to look on the bright side and tell myself it keeps me off the game for extended periods of time. But I dunno, it just seems a bit frustrating from my perspective that I could reclaim like 8 buttons on DRG if people would just get over ~complexity~ on having the combo be so many different buttons. Lots of other changes mentioned in topic would be great to me, too. They could just let it be an option and let people decide for themselves, you know?

fwiw i play DRG on a controller and I've got three buttons of space left over with sprint and lb mapped on top of all the job actions and role abilities since i use the extended hot crossbar or whatever it's called

im also a bad that can't use dragon sight without either a macro or fumbling about a gcd's worth of time applying it so

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
On my drg controller setup I have my main crossbar filled, both my W crossbars filled, and 5/8 of my L+R crossbar filled (I send L+R and R+L to the same place because I don't need the extra space). The only time I ever switch the displayed crossbar is to mount in pvp, and I could fit that into my main setup if I cared

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean I have done Alex savage and on to O3S and I click my skills, the cool down between general skills is so forgiving and you sequence your offgcds well there is not much of a penalty to dps.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Yeah, I definitely think it's possible to play DRG well on controller, but as far as I could see, you had to hold down L2/R2 at all times to hit the abilities in the hotbars. Am I missing something?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

mods??????????

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ruta posted:

Yeah, I definitely think it's possible to play DRG well on controller, but as far as I could see, you had to hold down L2/R2 at all times to hit the abilities in the hotbars. Am I missing something?

That's how the controller controls work unfortunately (I was mistaking what your actual complaint was before so my last post is mostly irrelevant). If holding shoulder buttons is a problem then controllers won't be for you. I think there's an option to make the shoulder buttons toggles instead of holding (so L2->square in sequence instead of holding L2) but you'll still be tapping shoulder buttons a lot. You can also reassign buttons to use L1 and R1 which imo is more comfortable than L2 and R2 on a dualshock but it might not solve the core problem.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

dude i've been clicking since 2.0 and have cleared everything when it was current (except A8S we had a 4% wipe during enrage that we cleared the day after 3.4 dropped) without any problems. Clicking in this game is not any slower than any other method of play since it queues up clicks just like it does for any keybind or controller button.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Samael posted:

I mean I have done Alex savage and on to O3S and I click my skills, the cool down between general skills is so forgiving and you sequence your offgcds well there is not much of a penalty to dps.

There's no penalty to clicking unless you're just slow moving your mouse around.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ruta posted:

As someone with arthritis issues, I'd really love if they gave the option to combine my combos so I could reclaim some keybinds and reach less. Playing melee is pretty hard on my hands compared to, say, BLM. But I honestly like playing DRG the most. It's a shame I can't play the job I like the most because some people seem to think that combining the melee combo somehow distracts from what makes the job fun.

I was getting RSI symptoms in my left hand from playing this dumb game, so I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RH6R7C4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and set up the top right button as Ctrl and the button below that as Alt and another button as Shift so I didn't have to reach with my pinkie to hit those all the time. Then I also bind a few skills to the rest of the buttons. This has improved my comfort hitting all my buttons considerably.

My left hand just does movement and hits 1->2->3 and occasionally 4 and 5.

This setup has worked for me with MNK and SAM

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My friend just sort of let abilities lie where they fell when he was leveling and plays with a hybrid of keyboard and clicks

He might have cleaned up hit hotbars a bit since then but they're still an absolute mess

He got his O3S clear week three like that

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know what my favorite new thing in dungeons is? Healers crying about tanks using sprint liberally.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

You know what my favorite new thing in dungeons is? Healers crying about tanks using sprint liberally.

I use sprint as my signal of "I'm going to pull everything." I can imagine getting yelled at for pulling everything but not for the act of using sprint in and of itself

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sprint is a tank cooldown when chainpulling, I don't know why more healers don't know this. Mobs can't hit what they can't catch, tanks don't get hurt by what can't hit them, healers don't have to heal what don't get hurt, and aggro doesn't get generated off of non-existent heals.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't sprint as a tank entirely because I don't trust healers to hit sprint so they can actually keep up.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Jose Valasquez posted:

I was getting RSI symptoms in my left hand from playing this dumb game, so I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RH6R7C4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and set up the top right button as Ctrl and the button below that as Alt and another button as Shift so I didn't have to reach with my pinkie to hit those all the time. Then I also bind a few skills to the rest of the buttons. This has improved my comfort hitting all my buttons considerably.

My left hand just does movement and hits 1->2->3 and occasionally 4 and 5.

This setup has worked for me with MNK and SAM

I actually just recently got a mouse with the hope of doing this (for shift/control, which are my favoured mod buttons), but the game won't let me bind the extra buttons. I think I have to somehow learn how to bind the buttons outside of the game, I guess? It's definitely something I'm hopeful will help, though. I'll probably spend time this weekend looking to get it to work again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velthice posted:

I use sprint as my signal of "I'm going to pull everything." I can imagine getting yelled at for pulling everything but not for the act of using sprint in and of itself

They get mad because I'm too far away for them to heal. They never pop sprint themselves.

Hopefully people will eventually catch on that you should Always Be Sprinting.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Velthice posted:

I main WHM and I would much rather the tank sprint while pulling several chains of enemies than saunter through taking a load of damage that I can't pop heals on because they're lazy-pulling and only getting initial orange-name aggro before moving onto the next cluster.

Unfortunately my datacenter seems to be full of tanks that want to be told about the rabbits, George. :downs:

Always Be Sprinting.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Fister Roboto posted:

They get mad because I'm too far away for them to heal. They never pop sprint themselves.

Hopefully people will eventually catch on that you should Always Be Sprinting.

As a Monk, this has been my motto since Stormblood launched and more Tanks need to take it up.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I prefer when tanks don't sprint so if I have to catch up I can sprint and outpace them. That's my hot take.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
If I'm not sprinting when moving between pulls it's because I'm letting out of combat regen tick over for the next chain pull. Or boss as the case may be.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sprinting is cool, but if you're dying because you ran too far from the healer or you LoSed yourself around a corner that's on you, not the healer

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

One thing I'd like to see is role abilities being slots than distinct abilities you gotta swap in/out of your bars. Like Role Ability 1 remains slotted in so you don't have to replace it on your bar every time and instead just need to mess around with your abilities window.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Here are two macros that the enterprising WAR may wish to make use of:

code:
/micon "Defiance"
/echo Swapping out Low Blow and Awareness
/aaction "Low Blow" off
/aaction "Awareness" off
/echo Swapping in Reprisal and Shirk
/aaction "Shirk" on
/aaction "Reprisal" on
/hotbar action "Reprisal" 1 2
/echo Swapping complete <se.1>
code:
/micon "Deliverance"
/echo Swapping out Reprisal and Shirk
/aaction "Shirk" off
/aaction "Reprisal" off
/echo Swapping in Low Blow and Awareness
/aaction "Low Blow" on
/aaction "Awareness" on
/hotbar action "Low Blow" 1 2
/echo Swapping complete <se.1>
They only use THE ICONS for Defiance and Deliverance. I find Low Blow and Awareness to be of more use soloing and up to 4-man content. I find Reprisal and Shirk to be of more use in 8-man content, and that's how I differentiate my macros.

You will want to tweak these according to your layout. "/hotbar action" places skills on your hotbars. The first number is the number of the hotbar. The second number is the position on that hotbar.

In my particular instance, I have designated positions for Shirk, and Awareness, but I prefer to have Low Blow and Reprisal be in the same easy-to-reach spot.

The same macros may be adapted to other jobs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Sprinting is cool, but if you're dying because you ran too far from the healer or you LoSed yourself around a corner that's on you, not the healer

Counterpoint: the healer should just pop sprint and keep up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I mean that's like dying because the healer only spams Cure 1 and blaming the tank for pulling too many mobs.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Agreed. The logical conclusion to all of this is that all classes should only have 2 buttons to press. Or maybe even 1. I was going to say a "combo" button and a "buff" button, but might as well make that buff automatically happen when available. Save people the trouble of pressing a second button.

I guess you can have a single target and aoe button, but maybe the game should just determine which one you need.

I like how you guys dumb it down to the lowest possible place it could go. I mean PLD has 3 combos. And DRG would still be weaving OGCD's the difference is they'd be pressing 1 2 1 3 1 4 1 whatever instead of playing the piano.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As someone who plays video games besides just MMOs, this entire discussion reads like an exercise in reductive absurdity.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Counterpoint: the healer should just pop sprint and keep up.
Yeah sure but even if the healer does pop sprint, they're both running at the same speed so the healer isn't gonna gain any ground. This is mostly directed to the tank I had the other day that immediately sprinted out of the boss room in Ala Mhigo and around a bunch of corners and even though the healer sprinted after them immediately the tank blew up before he could get in range/LoS to get even one spell on him. If you're actively making it hard to be healed you can't be surprised when the heals don't come in time

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
people are mistaking the clutter of combo actions for complexity, which is understandable because there is very little complexity among a lot of FFXIV's jobs. the fact that so, so many DPS classes can have a set rotation against a training dummy isn't a good thing. it's good to have some jobs that are simple and straightforward to play, but that doesn't mean everything has to work that way and there's definitely room for more priority systems, especially if it means culling the idea of combos from a lot of classes.

a lot of attempts to address it have ended up with a lot of duds (drg, mch, smn) instead of positive changes (brd)

Minera fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 15, 2017

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Brother Entropy posted:

it's bullshit that a wanderer's minuet button doesn't turn into pitch perfect while WM is up and it's bullshit that i can't figure out a macro to do that

You know i've never thought about how much perfect sense this makes, they already have the technology for this because of the stance only abilities of WAR that change to their "counterpart" when you switch stances.

As it is now playing on a controller, i kinda dread getting another level cap increase because that would mean more abilities and i'm already using 2 full hotbars which is already a pain to switch between in a timely fashion sometimes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean if they use sprint after having already finished pulling its pretty garbage, nobody can hit anything.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are there any level 70 blacksmiths on Excal who can craft me an HQ i320 Monk weapon? I have all of the mats.

Thanks~~~

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Re: sprinting, it's obviously nice if you can sprint from mob to mob, but I don't think it's asking too much for the tank to turn their camera around and make sure they haven't ditched everyone. Hell, sprint is on a 60s cooldown now, maybe the healer had to use it to get out of an AOE and it isn't back up yet.

Re: healing (and spending :10bux:),

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You know i've never thought about how much perfect sense this makes, they already have the technology for this because of the stance only abilities of WAR that change to their "counterpart" when you switch stances.

As it is now playing on a controller, i kinda dread getting another level cap increase because that would mean more abilities and i'm already using 2 full hotbars which is already a pain to switch between in a timely fashion sometimes.

Are you using your W cross hotbars and your L+R cross hotbars? Like the only classes that spill over after adding those are scholar and summoner and even then that's only if you go halfway with each for convenience's sake

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

Obviously Stones 1 through 4 should never have been consolidated, Scholars should seriously puzzle over whether to cast Ruin or Broil, and weaponskill classes should just have like twenty extra "deliver an attack with 100 potency. no combo bonus." skills littering their bars in order to increase choice and lower the skill floor.

It was a bad net change since it resulted in Bio 1 being deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Also, tanks are true degenerates without fail, as evidenced by this thread. Truly disgusting