Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Admiral Ray posted:

Or that hospitals have records of her being admitted and a birth certificate. The mother is not usually in question for parentage since, you know, witnesses saw the children come out of her body.
Can you prove she didn't shove babies up there just to re-birth them? I think not. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

The mother is not usually in question for parentage since, you know, witnesses saw the children come out of her body.

lmao

I'm not going to lie, the dumb part of my brain was thinking "Can she get a maternity test? Is there even such a thing?"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Haifisch posted:

Can you prove she didn't shove babies up there just to re-birth them? I think not. :colbert:

i mean that one guy on forensic files did stick blood vials in his arm so they'd draw blood that proved him innocent...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Admiral Ray posted:

Or that hospitals have records of her being admitted and a birth certificate. The mother is not usually in question for parentage since, you know, witnesses saw the children come out of her body.

Purely circumstantial at best! Furthermore, my client does not give permission for his children to have DNA taken. :smug:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Admiral Ray posted:

Oh, this is a juicy juicy case. There will be records going back years where she was acting in good faith about being married, and with him being a fraud. He done hosed himself good on this one. Hopefully she already got a lawyer on it.

My only worry is she won't keep her back straight and proud throughout the inevitable emotional bullshit he'll try to put her through, and she'll cave somewhere.

There's also the data tracking from the mother and baby's wrist bracelet barcodes.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

fruit on the bottom posted:

Divorcing, turns out we were never legally married, husband says I don't have rights to our property OR our kids

I can't tell which I think is funnier, trying to convince the court that the mother on the birth certificate isn't the real mother or trying to say that the marriage never accounted after jointly filing for 10 years.

wait... the government doesn't care what a priest thinks

you also fill out a marriage liscence etc

city hall doesn't care about the frock of your priest. (i am a certified universal life church minister though, if any of the /r/relationships crew wants married, or just wants things blessed)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Company I have never heard of withdraws $500 from my bank account. Pays it back 2 weeks later. Caused me much stress - can I demand compensation? (self.legaladvice)

quote:

I'm in Boston, MA

I didn't know what the charge was so I thought my identity was stolen and it caused a great deal of stress.

The first two times I called the company, they had no idea who I was and what the charge was. I thought it was related to my university (I'm a grad student) so I contacted them, too. Eventually they realized it was from a medical insurance company for my student plan in 2015 and it was an erroneous charge (one company had bought another and they still had my info on file).

They have now paid back the money, but the situation caused a great deal of stress, took at least an hour of my time if you add up all the call I made, and the company did not even apologize. Not to mention, I could have had the money in the market (I try to transfer $1500 to savings monthly and instead I transferred $1000 this month, which I used to buy AAPL that day and its up 5% since).

Obviously I am not going to sue them or anything, but I feel that simply paying me back the amount taken is not satisfactory. Maybe if they just apologized I would have felt better!

My school has asked me to say if I had an overdraft fee as a result of the charge. I did not, but again, this really did make organizing my finances much more difficult and I had to call both my university and the company 3 times each.

Does anyone have advice for me? I just feel like this is unfair and I want like $50 for it. I don't like the idea that a company I've never heard of can withdraw money from my bank account and it can take me a week to even figure out who it was, and then only because I complain they give me the money back and that's that. Do I just have to let it go and accept that I'm powerless and start hiding gold and a rifle under my bed and move to the woods?

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

Company I have never heard of withdraws $500 from my bank account. Pays it back 2 weeks later. Caused me much stress - can I demand compensation? (self.legaladvice)

I, too, want like $50 from a company

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Adam Vegas posted:

wtf is with American cell phone plans, I get unlimited calls/texts and unlimited data for less than $30 a month...

boy just wait till you find out about Canadian plans

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I, too, want like $50 from a company

if i could get 50 bucks every time i had emotional distress i'd be rich so many shitposts

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Me [28 M/F] with my GF [29 M/F] 4+years, I used restaurant coupon for her birthday and she was not impressed. We then fought.

quote:

Can't sleep much. Fought with my GF again, sleeping on the couch. Gist of the story goes like this. It's her birthday. I spend $270 on some white gold, low quality diamond necklace to give her. Can't complain. Financially, let's just say I'm not doing great, unemployed, barely any savings, but I thought she deserved something respectable after living together for a year.

For dinner, I want to make it romantic but need to counterbalance the expense I spent on the gift. Using my Asian frugalness, I find a coupon for $50 off of $75 (guess what site haha). This place is romantic, $25-40 a dish. I'm thinking score, wine and dine time. When she finds out, she's not impressed and doesn't like the idea of not paying full price. Dinner was awkward as she seemed unhappy. She got a $41 lobster pasta dish and a glass of pinot grigio. She is still unimpressed, and at this point I felt she was just being ridiculous and unappreciative. I had to explain my financial situations and she said she would rather go somewhere else and fork part of the bill. I said she could pay for my birthday, but I didn't want her to spend anything on her birthday. I told her she needs to let me feel like a "man" as I feel that I can still give her the royal treatment while in a financial rut.

During this explanation, she mumbles "maybe I'm just high class." Goddammit, this made me furious. I told her I want to laugh in her face for saying that. Obviously, I try to tell her that frugality is a virtue not a vice, but to me she's too stupid to even consider something like that. She doesn't even consider that I had to weigh in the expense of the jewelry gift by being more selective on dinner. gently caress my life.

Well, she ends up being happy because I actually made her a loving cake and had flowers waiting back home. She appreciates that effort at least. We're no longer arguing, but I can't shake the thought of her acting childish and entitled again in the future. Our values on this matter simply don't complement each other and I wonder if it's sustainable.

Edit: Thanks for the feedback. I'd say about 33% of you guys are against coupons on special occasions, which is understandable. A lot of you guys think I hate my GF because I called her stupid, but I only said that out of frustration. Lastly, some of guys think I'm an rear end in a top hat for spending 300 bucks while being unemployed. Well, that sentiment was something I did not anticipate. I don't need redditors to tell me an appropriate budget to spend on my GF on her birthday, that is just ridiculous. When I was budgeting my expenses, I found more value in giving her a more respectable gift rather than splurging on dinner.

tl;dr: Got coupon for romantic restaurant for GF's birthday. GF unhappy, says "I'm high class," and I get pissed off. Breakup thoughts ensues.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

wait... the government doesn't care what a priest thinks

you also fill out a marriage liscence etc

city hall doesn't care about the frock of your priest. (i am a certified universal life church minister though, if any of the /r/relationships crew wants married, or just wants things blessed)

This is correct. Your state issued marriage license signed by a judge or the clerk of court makes your marriage legal. After you get that you can get married by a dog dressed as a clown for all the state cares.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

maskenfreiheit posted:

This is an example of a company doing what's nessesary but not making any attempt to appear sympathetic. Or an example of a whiny bitch. Somewhere in the middle?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

what loving grad student is banking $1500 a month into savings, in Boston of all places where COL is pretty drat high?

gently caress this prick.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

what loving grad student is banking $1500 a month into savings, in Boston of all places where COL is pretty drat high?

gently caress this prick.
One that's shoving their money into Apple stocks.

Sadly I can't find the original thread to see how much they're crying about this crime against daddy's their money.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

Me [28 M/F] with my GF [29 M/F] 4+years, I used restaurant coupon for her birthday and she was not impressed. We then fought.

I dunno if I can understand the notion that using a sweet coupon to take someone somewhere nice is bad, but okay folks you do you. Like the good part of the dinner is spending time with someone you at least kinda don't hate in a nice place, not spending $250 on it.

Anyway, :sever: and end it, OP. This girl needs you to really invest in the dinner so you can later rationalize your decision as a good one.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I like how he also spent $270 on a necklace, so it's not like she can even complain that he "only" spent $25 on her birthday.

Also I want to know that guy's coupon techniques, 66% off a fancy dinner sounds great.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Plot twist:

OP posted:

It's ridiculous how I say I'm unemployed means I don't have money and can't afford a 270 gift. It's just ridiculous how many people agree on this. You have no loving idea how much I can afford nor will I tell you how much is in my bank account. I'm simply explaining how I need to be more conscious about what I spend on, meaning, no fancy dinner at full price. But a respectably priced necklace is ok to me.

Again, why am I living off my girlfriend's good will because I don't have a job? Seriously, what the gently caress is this type of presumptuous (not presumptive, look up the difference in meaning) thinking? I don't mooch off anyone for gently caress's sake. I quit my job to prepare for a loftier goal, I'm studying at the moment. I'm not going to tell you how long I've been unemployed, gently caress you, I don't ever need to defend myself like that. I have a loving engineering degree from a top tier school and made sufficient money. Can't believe how many women, yes women, automatically thinks I'm some kind of bum. LOL.

OP posted:

man I don't know WHAT she thinks sometimes. Sometimes I do think she's one of those girls who thinks they are entitled to a good life by marrying a rich guy. Then again, sometimes I don't as she'll act virtuous and shun materialism.

Big picture wise, I don't think she thinks she's too good for me. Is she a bit spoiled and lack a certain degree of empathy? Maybe.
And he posts in the Red Pill subreddit too. :thunk:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

Plot twist:

And he posts in the Red Pill subreddit too. :thunk:

Alright, she needs to :sever: and go find someone that doesn't post in the Red Pill.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The coupon was probably from restaurants.com; they offer ludicrous coupons like $1 for $25 worth. The problem is there are a ton of catches and the restaurant usually isn't on board so you would have to debate them constantly.

e: if he made a habit out of that, I could absolutely see why she got pissed, nobody wants their boyfriend in a 20-minute fight with the manager all the time

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

WampaLord posted:

lmao

I'm not going to lie, the dumb part of my brain was thinking "Can she get a maternity test? Is there even such a thing?"

there was a lady who gave birth and people watched the baby come out, and then they immediately did a DNA test on the baby and the mom

the dna test showed she wasn't the mother

the reasons will shock u!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Fairchild

she had chimerism, the dna in her reproductive system was different than the other parts of her body

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That's loving neat as all hell, thanks for sharing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
[Arizona] Police Withholding Public Records, Investigating Me and Family for Asking

quote:

My neighbors -- who live out of state most of the year -- have a 30-year-old son they leave behind by himself at their property next door to me. According to the father, the son has the mental acuity of a 12-year-old, and according to police, he's extremely mentally ill and often on a variety of drugs.

I recently decided to attempt to obtain an injunction against harassment against the 30-year-old, due to several incidents, including: Peering into my house from my front yard with a hammer in his hand, peering into my house at night with a flashlight, and accosting me and my girlfriend on separate occasions. We've called the police each of these times, and while they always claim no crime has been committed, I assumed that would help build a record showing we're legitimately afraid of being the victims of violence.
I sent a fairly broad records request, including a record of all calls to their address, any records relating to anyone in the house, video of my most recent interaction with police (the officer told me his body cam was on, and green light was blinking), and police responded a few weeks later that there were zero records related to my request.

Of course, I should mention, the 30-year-old's father is a retired cop, who was very close to the top of the food chain at a different, but still local law-enforcement agency. Most cops I've encountered are well aware of who he is.

A few days after the request, my neighbor started calling around asking about my request for records, so he was obviously warned. A member of my family was stopped on the street yesterday by an officer whom my family member has a professional relationship with, and he reported that he got call from a higher-up demanding what information he had about my family because someone at my house was "looking into stuff."

I've really just been blown away by the police department's behavior recently, and I don't know where to go from here. Do I need a private attorney to help obtain the records and stop harassment, or can my state AG's office do it? I'm just being harassed even more now, and I appreciate any guidance.

[Update] Police Withholding Public Records, Investigating Me and Family for Asking

quote:

I decided to try my request one more time, this time letting them know I'm well aware that several records exist, and cited the relevant statute found by /u/FishingForCars.

A. Any person who has requested to examine or copy public records pursuant to this article, and who has been denied access to or the right to copy such records, may appeal the denial through a special action in the superior court, pursuant to the rules of procedure for special actions against the officer or public body.

Lo and behold, they magically found $57.38 worth of records for me to pick up. Funny how that works.

I also included a note that police harassment would not be tolerated, and evidence of further investigation of my family for requesting records would be forwarded to federal investigators. I don't think that the fellow who decided to investigate me realized that I used to be a local reporter, and I would find that out . . .

Thanks for the advice, everyone who responded.

Meanwhile, on the crazy neighbor front, his dad came home a few days ago, so he's had a babysitter, and there's been nothing but peace and quiet over here.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

yes, computers track traffic violations and major midemeanors, that does not mean all midemeanors are "like traffic tickets"... (unless you think a felony is also "like a traffic ticket" because a computer stored the fact both happened)

but then again that's probably why you're prosecuting instead of being a real lawyer :)

I don't understand what you think you're saying. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

a few pages back, but

Haifisch posted:

When I talk about the baby they reply weirdly and act as if they are a jealous couple, implying that their baby was superior or something. I tell them I am that baby they are talking about, and how can my baby be any inferior to theirs.

I absolutely love this

"Ugh, my baby was superior to yours in every way, awful daughter"
"But.... I was your baby?"

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

If only that guy with the two jag off sons could trick them into signing a tontine good for $500,000 worth of chipped beef.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

there was a lady who gave birth and people watched the baby come out, and then they immediately did a DNA test on the baby and the mom

the dna test showed she wasn't the mother

the reasons will shock u!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Fairchild

she had chimerism, the dna in her reproductive system was different than the other parts of her body

I believe people who've had a bone marrow transplant can end up having different blood-test-dna than cheek-swab-dna (because their blood in being manufactured by the transplanted bone marrow).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Outrail posted:

Can confirm. Getting residency there is a giant pain in the rear end of paperwork and wait times.

Better than a lot of of other places, but the whole process seems designed to dissuade all but the most determined and/or those who can afford a lawyer.

It's designed like that on purpose.

Yeah, no poo poo Sherlock, glad we have you on the case. Next time maybe you'll be able to solve the mystery of why illegal immigrants work for less than minimum wage.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm [23F] pulling my hair out over the fact that my bf [27M] is in trouble at work for acting aggressively and not watching his freakin mouth when speaking to coworkers. He wants me to hold him while he boohoos and I'm over it.

Basically my bf thinks of himself as a fighter for justice at his job and takes it upon himself to try to tackle any perceived injustice that's happening.

For instance: at some point a mix up had happened and he and a coworker weren't getting paid for sick days. He marched into his bosses office and raised his voice and demanded pay for both of them. Boss told him to watch his attitude but eventually both bf and other dude got their pay. Bf told the other guy but was never thanked. In fact, the other guy thanked God and went on with his day. I told him he needs to watch his mouth and using curses with his boss is immature. I also told him stop marching in there and demanding things for other people because none of your coworkers care about you, nor have they ever stuck their neck out for you. Theyre the smart ones!!

Another instance, bf was leaving work an hour early because he felt he completes his work early every day, and that he carries the brunt of the work (this not requested of him. He picks up other people's slack because HE WANTS TO) Boss called him out and once again they got into a heated verbal argument where they got into each other's face. Boss told him to stop and just let him know who isn't working but bf continued leaving early because he feels that's his right. Bf also told me he believes that arguing means his boss respects him and that he's "basically" second in command. Again, I told him watch your drat mouth, you're not second in command, and you are replaceable as an employee. Watch your footing because if you keep taking a mile when offered an inch you'll fall off the cliff. Again, nope, he respects me and knows that I help him run things. He wont get rid of me, he needs me. Bf left early EVERY DAY since that conversation.

ANOTHER instance, 3 fellow employees got in trouble for getting to work late the same day. It was a busy stressful day and their presence was sorely needed. They all trickled in with the latest being 20 minutes late due to the subway messing up. There's an employee-boss group chat where the boss chewed these three guys out and in the end wrote them all up. The boss also chewed out the rest of the employees and said that there was work that wasn't done and everyone needs to try harder.

Bf of course is horribly distressed that they got in trouble because it "was only 20 minutes!!" And he was personally offended by the boss saying work needs to be finished. (If the shoe fits, huh?) So bf matches into bosses office and demands that boss tells him what exactly was not finished. Like, get any paperwork or get online and show him whats not finished. He also told boss that he should've asked him if the guys were late enough to warrant being in trouble.

Aaaand they argued. And argued. Bf admitted that he was aggressive in speaking to boss and got in his face telling him that he didn't know how to run the place. Boss got in his face back and they were cursing at each other. Honestly, bf is very lucky his boss is a physically large gutsy guy and not easily frightened because if it was a different person with less patience I have no doubt that he would've been escorted off the premises.

So boss told him he'd "handle him later." Bf kind of laughed it off and said since he's in a union nothing is going to happen to him. I told him AGAIN that you need to stop this! You can't bark at your boss and speak to people like you're in a bar fight. You can't bully people into listening to you, you cannot forget that you are REPLACEABLE. Bf told him he'd standing up for what's right since boss was taking his frustration out on everyone. I told him STOP TRYING TO SPEAK FOR YOUR COWORKERS. NO ONE ELECTED YOU AS A SPOKESPERSON. And no one has defended bf because you go to work to get paid! Not skate on thin ice for some rear end in a top hat that yells at the boss!! Bf assured me that what's right is right and that the Charlottesville protesters were hurt for standing for what's right, and that this is similar. Basically he's a good person being punished for trying to do what's good.

Well, later came. 3 write ups at once for language + aggressiveness, leaving early, and disobedience, basically. 3 write ups means unpaid suspension, possibly termination in the worst instances.

NOW HE'S UPSET. I asked him how many times I've told him to mind his drat business and act like he's got some sense. Now he's weepy and scared. His schedule will also be changing to graveyard shifts when he gets back (so he'll never see the boss again, basically) instead of his 7am-3pm. He said theyre still deliberating on if he'll be kept at all but theyre changing things around for the time being. I'm pulling my hair out and part of me honestly wants to leave. This is so stupid. So many chances were given to him! What the hell!
I don't know what to do. He wants emotional support and cuddles and I can barely look at him right now. I've never felt so disgusted and unattracted to anyone the way I feel right now. What is the next step when you've been telling someone something they refused to listen to and now they want your help? I am so, so angry.

Tl;dr: bf acted like an rear end multiple times and finally got in trouble for it. What happens after "I told you so"? Am I really supposed to support him through this?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Good for you for being disgusted also leave him he's a faux martyr. The worst.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Smirking_Serpent posted:

They all trickled in with the latest being 20 minutes late due to the subway messing up.

Unless this is subway as in "chicken pizzaola on hearty italian" and not the kind with the trains, i dont see how anyone can be mad at 3 people being late due to public transport loving up. Thats a situation entirely outside of their control.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kullik posted:

Unless this is subway as in "chicken pizzaola on hearty italian" and not the kind with the trains, i dont see how anyone can be mad at 3 people being late due to public transport loving up. Thats a situation entirely outside of their control.

on one hand, you're right, on the other, have you ever had a job before, ever?

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Streak posted:

yeah if im late for public transport my shift will just get moved around, unless ive been making a habit of it or whatever, but it happens a few times a year.
(im in the UK so maybe thats the difference????)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

The coupon was probably from restaurants.com; they offer ludicrous coupons like $1 for $25 worth. The problem is there are a ton of catches and the restaurant usually isn't on board so you would have to debate them constantly.

Uh how does that even work? The website just makes up a coupon saying 'this poo poo is super cheap' ?! Surely the restaurant has to have approved it for it to work at all.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

feedmegin posted:

Uh how does that even work? The website just makes up a coupon saying 'this poo poo is super cheap' ?! Surely the restaurant has to have approved it for it to work at all.
If it's a chain not all individual stores are on board with the coupon program. Also the reverse can happen where a local store might have a promotion but the national chain doesn't care about it and suddenly people are coming in with with a coupon that's only good for the Starbucks in Tulsa on third street. So customer argues with a manager until he breaks down and just honors the drat thing to get them out.

At least that's what I'd assume was happening.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 16, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Anne Whateley posted:

e: if he made a habit out of that, I could absolutely see why she got pissed, nobody wants their boyfriend in a 20-minute fight with the manager all the time

Yeah but at that point you're not getting mad at your boyfriend for using a coupon, you're getting mad at him for constantly being an embarrassing pain in the rear end every time you go out to eat

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Streak posted:

If I'm late to work because of traffic, then I call up my boss and maybe I stay 20 minutes later or take a 20 minute shorter lunch. But I work in a role where my co-workers and boss respect and value me as a person, so hard to say whether or not this applies to other Americans like me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

feedmegin posted:

The restaurant approved it, but the small print says it only works on alternate Wednesdays once per month, it doesn't cover entrees or alcohol, you need 4 people in your party, you have to spend $50 above the cost of the coupon, you have to tell them you have a coupon before you order, you name it, just a lot of unexpectedly weird and really restrictive small print. Or the restaurant stopped participating months ago (and btw restaurant.com won't refund you). You can look up reviews for the site and they're all pretty much like that.

I only suggest it because that's the only way I've heard of to get such big % coupons for restaurants.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Do people really complain that much about coupons on dates? It's a great excuse to punch above your budget weight and have a nice evening for less money. Is it really just 'You aren't spending enough money on me'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
No, like I said, if that's the way he's getting such big coupons (the only way I've ever heard of such big coupons), she's probably tired of jumping through hoops and having him fight with managers. It's not like doing an Applebee's free appetizer coupon from the paper.