Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Constant posted:

also if they dont get this dude to play Rhaegar then they hosed up

If Lee Pace played Rhaegar then Robert's Rebellion would become show of the year even if they attached horrible writers/showrunners/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

esperterra posted:

Also re: Jorah and the friendzone, I really do think how handsome he is on the show changes the dynamic. His well meaning love, bordering on obsession takes a different tone when he's this hulking, hairy bear of a man and the age gap is much wider.

But in the show, he's just dashing to a fault. In another show or movie he could easily be the good guy who ends up winning the girl in the end, over the more roguish type.

Like her not wanting to gently caress him still makes sense on the show, but the dynamic is way different.

e: his book love also has the added creep factor of 50% of his desire for dany being that he reminds her physically of his old waifu

Well she wasn't his waifu, she was his actual wife.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

So now that we know the NK is a load bearing boss and that Dany is gonna get pregs because she's mentioned a few times how she "can't"

It does feel like maximum D&D writing to do the death & rebirth dichotomy trope in the same episode Cersei miscarries her last would-be child, Jon's magical Targ sperm heals Dany's womb.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well she wasn't his waifu, she was his actual wife.

I know.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wasn't Sam arguing against that? He was saying that it was just no attachments.

So basically you can bang all you want, just don't call them the next day.

e:

says nothing about going to bonetown :v:

Well if they don't have prophylactics it does implicitly say something about going to bonetown.

Then again maybe the sex workers in mole town just take moon tea.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I figured you'd have to if you were referencing it, but I said it for the benefit of everybody who hasn't read the books.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember that GRRM intentionally wrote Danys 13 year old wedding night rape to be erotic.

It was consensual in the books, so it's more like a Drogo Polanski thing...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I figured you'd have to if you were referencing it, but I said it for the benefit of everybody who hasn't read the books.

v good

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Captain Splendid posted:

Consensual sex with a 13-year-old who can't actually refuse

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bloom posted:

Tyrion is supposed to be a hideous monster but they cast probably the sexiest small person(or whatever the correct term is) to play him. It's TV, they're not gonna make the good guys ugly.

Tyrion has a Tormond approved beard.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Consensual sex with a 13-year-old who can't actually refuse

In a society where marrying women off at 12 or so is normal, fwiw.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

bloom posted:

Tyrion is supposed to be a hideous monster but they cast probably the sexiest small person(or whatever the correct term is) to play him. It's TV, they're not gonna make the good guys ugly.

I think it's just that Dinklage is the best dwarf actor in the business.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

TeaJay posted:

Tell me, did you ever wonder why the men of the Night's watch take no wives and father no children?

So they will not love. Love is the death of duty.

Of all the scenes in Game oF Thrones tits & dragons TV entertainment show, I find this one to be one of the best, if not THE best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pozI5n6A_Io

Who wrote that? I want THAT GUY to write the series.

It's like night and day, Jesus.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Splendid posted:

that girl was drugged and also said no.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think it's just that Dinklage is the best dwarf actor in the business.

And also good friends with the pilot's original director. He starred in the movie that jumpstarted both of their careers.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

She has her 14th birthday the very day she discovers she's pregnant

:stonk:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

It's been a while since I read the first book, but I distinctly remember Dany crying and Drogo forcing himself on her.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

esperterra posted:

In a society where marrying women off at 12 or so is normal, fwiw.

that's a bit of an exaggeration

Some characters in their 20s are considered unusually old to be unmarried, but 16/17 (margaery's age when she married joff, catelyn's age when she married ned, cersei's age when she married robert, etc) is more the norm

marriages at 12/13 are done, but are frowned upon. I like to imagine, with no basis in the text, that the maesters have been paying attention to their records for long enough that they've figured out childbirth is drastically more dangerous for girls in their early teens than girls in their late teens.

but what I'm getting at is dany's and sansa's age-13 marriages are hella creepy even if you apply maximum cultural relativism

Trivia posted:

Who wrote that? I want THAT GUY to write the series.

It's like night and day, Jesus.

goreg r.R martin

peter vaughan ('s ghost) deserves maximum possible props for giving 110% to every Aemon scene despite being goddamn 90 while filming

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 20, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PupsOfWar posted:

that's a bit of an exaggeration

Some characters in their 20s are considered unusually old to be unmarried, but 16/17 (margaery's age when she married joff, catelyn's age when she married ned, cersei's age when she married robert, etc) is more the norm

marriages at 12/13 are done, but are frowned upon. I like to imagine, with no basis in the text, that the maesters have been paying attention to their records for long enough that they've figured out childbirth is drastically more dangerous for girls in their early teens than girls in their late teens.

but what I'm getting at is dany's and sansa's age-13 marriages are hella creepy even if you apply maximum cultural relativism

goreg r.R martin

peter vaughan ('s ghost) deserves maximum possible props for giving 110% to every Aemon scene despite being goddamn 90 while filming

Nah you're right, I just mean it isn't as big a deal in Westeros if a girl is married and consummates that marriage before she's sixteen, rather than in tyool 2017 in western civilization. More often than not tho it seems in Westeros it is just betrothals that are done around 10-14, with the actual marriage a bit later. Or married young but not expected to lay together until they're teenagers.

In Essos I would imagine the actual marriage and loving part is less restricted than in Westeros. Especially with a culture like the dothraki.

Like it's skeazy yeah, but it isn't like some crazy taboo thing in the world presented, is all I mean.

And book Drogo at the v least was like the best person she could have married at that time, he cared enough about making sure she was comfortable and wanted it. If she said no he prob still woulda gone to bone town, but he eased her into it. Way less rapey than the show version.

Like, him being this big scary brute who ends up treating her like a delicate thing was kind of the point. You go into the chapter expecting what the show gave us, then get something far gentler and sweeter, and makes her falling for him less stockholm syndrome-y.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did the show ever explain why littlefinger handed sansa over to a guy he'd 100 percent know would rape her and might actually torture her to death??

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Iirc they made it that he didn't know he was a loving crazy person. It isn't well known at all in the show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

esperterra posted:

Also re: Jorah and the friendzone, I really do think how handsome he is on the show changes the dynamic. His well meaning love, bordering on obsession takes a different tone when he's this hulking, hairy bear of a man and the age gap is much wider.

But in the show, he's just dashing to a fault.

He's so handsome that I trust him implicitly:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

esperterra posted:

Iirc they made it that he didn't know he was a loving crazy person. It isn't well known at all in the show.

littlefinger knows everything!

Accretionist posted:

plus that voice. c'mon dany.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

did the show ever explain why littlefinger handed sansa over to a guy he'd 100 percent know would rape her and might actually torture her to death??

Nope, just another part of his character becoming really dumb as soon as D&D passed the book material on him.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

i wonder what their endgame will be for the two of them, just bone once and be like: we shouldnt be doing this

or will they have an actual :airquote: relationship :airquote:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

actually Bran will probably ruin it when he tells Jon he watched him fook his aunt on Treehub

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Also the voice

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Constant posted:

actually Bran will probably ruin it when he tells Jon he watched him fook his aunt on Treehub

Bran probably uses most of his powers to spy on people undressing.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Tell me, did you ever wonder why the men of the Night's watch take no wives and father no children?

So they will not love. Love is the death of duty.

Of all the scenes in Game oF Thrones tits & dragons TV entertainment show, I find this one to be one of the best, if not THE best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pozI5n6A_Io

Thanks to you I just went on a S1/2/3-clip rewatch spree. The dialogue back then was so good; I actually looked forward to dialogue-heavy scenes.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XAk2hpuAQI

this is the goat speech of the show, from one of the goat characters rip aliser thorne a true patriot

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Constant posted:

i dont think bran knows about Boning

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

i dont think bran knows about Boning

watching people boning almost killed him

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

this is the goat speech of the show, from one of the goat characters rip aliser thorne a true patriot

I see your video and raise you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ5oRxgphRc

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So good. I'm sad Tormund flirting with Brienne is a thing, fun as it is to watch her roll her eyes at him, because the true OTP reunion we should all be hype about is Jaime and his waifu Brienne.

Granted D&D will probably ruin it, so maybe it's good we have Tormund to soften the blow with sweet laughter.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

drunken officeparty posted:

Goddamn, there used to be so many great performances on this show. What do we have now? Everyone is either phoning it in or not being given good material or just can't act.

Speculation for the last season: What is the use of Winterfell after the wall comes down? It's a huge, well-stocked fortress but that doesn't mean poo poo to the NK's army (which has several giants, in addition to being larger than any other in Westeros) or his new frost dragon. All the Stark kids and all the random northerners they've gathered are going to have run south real fast.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Speculation for the last season: What is the use of Winterfell after the wall comes down? It's a huge, well-stocked fortress but that doesn't mean poo poo to the NK's army (which has several giants, in addition to being larger than any other in Westeros) or his new frost dragon. All the Stark kids and all the random northerners they've gathered are going to have run south real fast.

The new third dragon?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

What if Jon was the dragon under Winterfell all along ...

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

My question is: will the NK and army slowly and methodically massacre each settlement or beeline for the Isle of Faces?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Peter Vaughan loving owned that role. When I read the books Aemon was just an old fart in the middle of nowhere to me, but that scene sold it to me and was dissapointed that they didn't give him more screen time, like his book interaction with Stannis (granted no magic sword in the show for conversation starter)

On Alliser Thorne I loved this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_J3xtO-Yos

Do you know what leadership means, Lord Snow? It means that the person in charge gets second-guessed by every clever little twat with a mouth. But if he starts second-guessing himself, that's the end. For him... for the clever little twats... for everyone.

The whole Castle Black Raid episode made me like this character that I always disliked both in books and in series and would have loved if they had taken his character down another route instead of "nah, he was literal about hating him again the next day" leading to his death alongside the boy who potatoed.

It would have been really cool if he was against Jon leading the Free Folk down South but at the same time be disgusted at the brothers who conspired against their commander and killed him, eventually leading to Jon passing down the Commander mantle to him and both departing in mutual respect but still hating each other's guts.

S1Jaime was something beautiful to behold. Like I don't know if they originally did it on purpose or not, but upon reviewing the footage someone must have noticed that he was a living Prince Charming which just worked perfect for the kind of character he was at the time.

However, I think that the cake to Best Cast goes to Sean Bean.

Cause we have to admit it. While most of the people in this thread loved S1 for it's dialogue, S1 didn't have any action scenes of the kind that current seasons have which is the kind that attracts thousands of viewers. The average viewer gets bored of all the talking in S1 and is almost ready to give up on the series...AND THEN THEY KILL THE PROTAGONIST. Something TV series haven't done in forever, and most certainly not in the very first season.

If Ned hadn't died in Book 1/Season 1, or had Ned's actor not been someone charismatic as Sean Bean, the show would have probably struggled to get signed up for more seasons.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Cause we have to admit it. While most of the people in this thread loved S1 for it's dialogue, S1 didn't have any action scenes of the kind that current seasons have which is the kind that attracts thousands of viewers. The average viewer gets bored of all the talking in S1 and is almost ready to give up on the series...AND THEN THEY KILL THE PROTAGONIST. Something TV series haven't done in forever, and most certainly not in the very first season.

If Ned hadn't died in Book 1/Season 1, or had Ned's actor not been someone charismatic as Sean Bean, the show would have probably struggled to get signed up for more seasons.

So all those people who watch from episode 1 until Ned died, they were just watching it the whole time going "Ugh, I loving hate this dumb show, but I'll keep watching it anyway?"

People love the show for many reasons, to claim that the only reason people love it is "the protagonist died" is really stupid, particularly in a show with such a huge cast. There is no one "protagonist."

• Locked thread