Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Aliens is a fine movie, and it's perfectly normal for people to prefer it over the original, but from a pure filmmaking perspective Alien trounces over it in every respect. Better cinematography, better script, better acting, better sound, etc.

I thought here in CineD we appreciated things like that.

Edit: IIRC, James Cameron agrees with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Casimir Radon posted:

Travolta's career died right about that time. Battlefield Earth was the year before.

I saw that film in theatres.
On a date.

In high school.

Even my date thought the scene with 1000 year old F15s was dumb. We got a weird scratcher from the movie, probably some free Scientology brainwashing poo poo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Casimir Radon posted:

Travolta's career died right about that time. Battlefield Earth was the year before.

That was like the third time his career died, and it had only been resurrected with Pulp Fiction. He went from that to Michael and Phenomenon, which formed a nice slope down to Battlefield Earth.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

On a date.

In high school.

Even my date thought the scene with 1000 year old F15s was dumb. We got a weird scratcher from the movie, probably some free Scientology brainwashing poo poo.
They were Harriers. Military jets are a nightmare to maintain when they're relatively new. Hubbard would have you believe you could teach cavemen to do it with a little time in a simulator.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FilthyImp posted:

John Goodman had the best trajectory. He's Been Working since the show and has had a good few years recently (from being on SNL regularly to 10 Cloverfield Lane and whatnot).

Johnny Galecki, Darlene's boyfriend, popped up again thanks to the Big Bang Theory and he's pretty much set for life thanks to that. BBT also had guest spots for Laurie Metcalf and Sarah Gilbert.

Chalke snagged a spot on Scrubs and did OK for herself popping up in How I Met Your Mother and now on Rick and Morty.

Martin Mull is a character actor so he's in a bunch of random stuff (Danny Phantom?!).

I think career wise George Clooney has them all beat, although he was only in season 1 I think.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

That was like the third time his career died, and it had only been resurrected with Pulp Fiction. He went from that to Michael and Phenomenon, which formed a nice slope down to Battlefield Earth.

That's what I love about Travolta, his career was resurrected by Pulp Fiction and he absolutely jumped in head first making Nora Ephron movies. When he thought he was back he REALLY thought he was back.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

On a date.

In high school.

In 1999, so the second half of my freshman year in high school, this girl who I had had the biggest crush on since the first day of school asked if I wanted to go out to a movie sometime.

We picked Wing Commander. :suicide:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I saw Battlefield Earth in theaters early late at night with friends because one worked for the theater and they check the films before they show them so hilarious free movie huzzah!

Ma.K will be the latest live-action anime to be in development hell at WB

quote:

Fresh from the record-breaking box-office haul of horror-thriller It, producer Roy Lee is now setting his sights on giant robots and two-legged tanks.

Lee has teamed with Scott Bernstein, the Universal executive turned producer, and Warner Bros., which released It, to adapt Ma.K, an epic sci-fi property out of Japan.

Originating in the early 1980s in Hobby Japan magazine, Ma.K was a monthly comic that also tied into customizable model kits. It was created by artist and sculptor Kow Yokoyama, who worked with the magazine's editors to create an expansive universe inspired by Star Wars, Blade Runner and World Wars I and II. The combination of manga and models took off, gaining a worldwide cult following over time.

The story is set far, far into the future after a nuclear war caused survivors to flee Earth. When the planet is habitable once again, new colonies are set up, but it's not long before a battle over resources begins. When one side wants to make Earth independent, a new revolutionary war begins, this time with mechanized armor and robots.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mak-movie-it-producer-adapt-sci-fi-epic-warner-bros-1041130

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aliens is a fine movie, and it's perfectly normal for people to prefer it over the original, but from a pure filmmaking perspective Alien trounces over it in every respect. Better cinematography, better script, better acting, better sound, etc.

I thought here in CineD we appreciated things like that.

Edit: IIRC, James Cameron agrees with me.

There have been plenty of posts about the strength of Aliens's cinematography, editing, sound work and so-on in this subforum alone, let alone elsewhere. Trying to frame it as "I thought CinD agreed with me!!" is dumb. It's also not a 'contest' as they are aiming for different things and both can be well made without there being an ~objective winner~

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

I saw Battlefield Earth in theaters early late at night with friends because one worked for the theater and they check the films before they show them so hilarious free movie huzzah!

Ma.K will be the latest live-action anime to be in development hell at WB

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mak-movie-it-producer-adapt-sci-fi-epic-warner-bros-1041130

Oh gently caress, I didn't recognize this for a bit but that's loving Maschinen Krieger! I love that series.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

In 1999, so the second half of my freshman year in high school, this girl who I had had the biggest crush on since the first day of school asked if I wanted to go out to a movie sometime.

We picked Wing Commander. :suicide:

A keeper

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I made the mistake of seeing Aliens long after roughly half the film's scenes had become established and predictable action sci-fi tropes elsewhere and it seriously dampened my enjoyment of it. I'm sure I would have liked it much more if I caught it new. v:shobon:v

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

The American Akira movie is still walking the Earth, cursed to never die, and is now threatening to devour Taika Waititi, hopefully he will escape like the others

Why do people keep forgetting that there's already an american Akira re-make and it ruled?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsO6ZnUZI0g

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

well why not posted:

It's amazing how James Cameron, academy award winning director and visionary/explorer still gets into beefs with other directors.

He just seems like an incredibly petty person. See also the recent interview Josh Brolin gave where he says that Cameron blew up at him when he (Brolin) turned down a role in the Avatar sequels.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

There have been plenty of posts about the strength of Aliens's cinematography, editing, sound work and so-on in this subforum alone, let alone elsewhere. Trying to frame it as "I thought CinD agreed with me!!" is dumb. It's also not a 'contest' as they are aiming for different things and both can be well made without there being an ~objective winner~

You're right, but in this case Alien is clearly superior in the craft department than Aliens. :shrug:

Edit: I mean, Aliens is good, I don't want people to think I hate Aliens. Alien is just goddamn amazing, especially with regards to moviemaking.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 20, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

He just seems like an incredibly petty person. See also the recent interview Josh Brolin gave where he says that Cameron blew up at him when he (Brolin) turned down a role in the Avatar sequels.

There are never going to be any Avatar sequels.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmOateL3ohI

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're right, but in this case Alien is clearly superior in the craft department than Aliens. :shrug:

Edit: I mean, Aliens is good, I don't want people to think I hate Aliens. Alien is just goddamn amazing, especially with regards to moviemaking.

:respek:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is Avatar 2/3/4/5 ever going to come out? Are they even in production yet? Is James Cameron losing his mind?

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
They start "filming" next week http://screenrant.com/avatar-2-filming-start/

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is Avatar 2/3/4/5 ever going to come out? Are they even in production yet? Is James Cameron losing his mind?

Yes.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just want my Abyss bluray so I can buy the drat movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

That doesnt necessarily mean he's wrong about WW not being very feminist. Just because a woman made it doesnt say much about the content (not many people argue Punisher War Zone is feminist), plus fox news has plenty of sellout women willing to say anything. But 'feminist' doesnt have a set in stone definition either. Is there anything more feminist in WW than in Aliens? Both have lead women going to war.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'll go see Linda Hamilton in another Cameron Terminator movie, sure. I imagine Arnold will be a villain again in this one? He's only been a bad guy in like two of his six appearances in a role where he was originally the bad guy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

Aliens is very good for being the fourth-best movie in the franchise.

there's a reason everyone else lols at this stupid subforum.

alien and aliens are equally good. this is objective fact sorry brokebrains.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Electromax posted:

I'll go see Linda Hamilton in another Cameron Terminator movie, sure. I imagine Arnold will be a villain again in this one? He's only been a bad guy in like two of his six appearances in a role where he was originally the bad guy.

2.5 if you count T3. He murders John in the absolute dumbest thing ever from the franchise.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I rooted for The Hurt Locker to win the Oscar that year. Not because it's at all good, but because I hated Avatar more and was sick of hearing about how revolutionary it was. Now it's almost been forgotten.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Casimir Radon posted:

I rooted for The Hurt Locker to win the Oscar that year. Not because it's at all good, but because I hated Avatar more and was sick of hearing about how revolutionary it was. Now it's almost been forgotten.

Avatar was incredible to see in the big screen with the glasses and all that, it was once of the best movie experiences in my life.

I have no desire at all to see the sequel.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Hurt Locker was good, military worship aside

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ALFbrot posted:

Are you referring to anyone other than John Goodman?

edit: or Sarah Chalke

Laurie Metcalf literally just won a Tony for Best Actress in a Play.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Speaking of Avatar, can anyone tell me why they made a theme park for it? I just don't know a single person who really was that engrossed into the avatar "universe" to care enough about it to even go to a theme park, much less 9 years later. Hell, I cant even remember a single name of any of the characters.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Avatar was a phenomenon when it came out, to the point where I remember national TV news talking about people who became depressed and suicidal because they knew they could never live in the world of the Na'vi. There's also a guy out there who became famous because he covered himself head to toe in blue Avatar tattoos. I can only assume they hope that popularity will be rekindled with the sequels, and their Avatar theme park will make huge sums of money.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Kanish posted:

Speaking of Avatar, can anyone tell me why they made a theme park for it? I just don't know a single person who really was that engrossed into the avatar "universe" to care enough about it to even go to a theme park, much less 9 years later. Hell, I cant even remember a single name of any of the characters.

It's Disney, and even if it doesn't draw additional people to that park, it will let them turn Animal Kingdom from a "half day park" to one that keeps people there until 9pm, greatly increasing the resort's carrying capacity. People will go because it's Disney.

Plus, there's supposed to be 4 more movies, all directed by James Cameron, and he's got a pretty solid track record. It's kind of weird Disney invested in an IP they don't own, though.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 21, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vincent posted:

Why do people keep forgetting that there's already an american Akira re-make and it ruled?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsO6ZnUZI0g

I think you mean this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aZFcosBTaQ

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Sarah Gilbert is also in a daily talk show.

So the only actors not working from Roseanne are Roseanne herself and the original Becky.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The Hurt Locker was good, military worship aside
No, not really. It liked to pretend it had a point but it didn't. It's like American Sniper with less dumb politics. And just as fictional :haw:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the point of hurt locker is unrealistic sniper duels

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kanish posted:

Disney approached Cameron about making an Avatar theme park only a year and a half or so after Avatar came out, at a time when hype for it was still big, and more importantly, at a time when the sequels were supposed to start coming out in 2015. So if everything was on track, the park would be opening in time to cash in on the huge Avatar Mania of Avatar 2-5.

Also of note, this was a year before Disney bought Lucasfilm and decided they would start churning out their own annual space fantasy series. I'm sure if they had gotten Lucasfilm first they never would have bothered with Avatar World.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Please, why would Disney build a Star Wars park? That is stupid.

They are obviously going to build an orbiting moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

sbaldrick posted:

Sarah Gilbert is also in a daily talk show.

So the only actors not working from Roseanne are Roseanne herself and the original Becky.

And DJ.

• Locked thread