Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Electromax posted:

I'll go see Linda Hamilton in another Cameron Terminator movie, sure. I imagine Arnold will be a villain again in this one? He's only been a bad guy in like two of his six appearances in a role where he was originally the bad guy.

Kind of have to wonder just how much Cameron is actually going to be involved with a new Terminator movie because there's certainly no way he's going to direct it considering his output in the last 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kanish posted:

Speaking of Avatar, can anyone tell me why they made a theme park for it? I just don't know a single person who really was that engrossed into the avatar "universe" to care enough about it to even go to a theme park, much less 9 years later. Hell, I cant even remember a single name of any of the characters.

Because it's a great world to make a theme park out of, even if you don't have a great attachment to the material. From what I've heard it's an amazing looking park and has some of the best attractions in all of Disney.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's Danny phantom and probably other cartoon characters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think a pretty funny twist for the new Flatliners movie would be if there wasn't actually anything supernatural happening at all and all the characters were just suffering from massive brain damage from repeatedly killing themselves.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kanish posted:

Speaking of Avatar, can anyone tell me why they made a theme park for it? I just don't know a single person who really was that engrossed into the avatar "universe" to care enough about it to even go to a theme park, much less 9 years later. Hell, I cant even remember a single name of any of the characters.

Doesn't really matter what the IP is if it has fun rides. Gimme an rear end-ripper of a roller coaster and it could be Mr. Belvedere-themed for all I care.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
All I know is that there is a line in the commercial for Flatliners where someone says something like, "you didn't tell me there'd be consequences for flatlining!" and it's pretty funny.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm still pretty convinced I will have kids and they will be in college before we get Avatar sequels

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
There's currently a touring Avatar Cirque de Soleil show in my town so enough people still think it's relevant?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

THE gently caress! YEAH!

The great thing about this is that it's all visuals, there's no real characters for them to screw up in adapting like other Japanese properties. One sides basically space/future Nazis, naming all their mecha with blackletter German names and largely made up of bug-eyed unmanned vehicles, while the Mercenary Army has all the cool poo poo like the Super Armored Fighting Suit and it's millions of variants that could easily be developed into a team of characters. Basically, make the short film Nutrocker with more characters in SAFS fighting the robot armies of the Strahl. Luckily Kow Yokoyama is on board as a producer, so hopefully there's input on keeping those visuals instead of having someone at WETA phone-in designs.

I am a little torn that they're calling it Ma. K and not the full title, just to super sell it on the bombastic nature.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

I think a pretty funny twist for the new Flatliners movie would be if there wasn't actually anything supernatural happening at all and all the characters were just suffering from massive brain damage from repeatedly killing themselves.

I thought that was the idea. It's not? Boo

I'm watching The Stone Killer on TCM and it had this really weird bit, Bronson was telling the other cops some blah blah stuff and one of them lit a cig and put his lit match in the trashcan, and was calmly trying to put out the fire without interrupting the monologue. Bronson eventually dumped coffee on the fire to put it out. The weird thing was it wasnt played for laughs.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Last I heard, he's working with Deadpool director Tim Miller.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The MSJ posted:

Last I heard, he's working with Deadpool director Tim Miller.

Cameron's working with Tim Miller as director. Cameron also wrote a story for a trilogy that can either be viewed individually or as a whole story. The writer's room has the guy who did the Terminator TV show, the guy who created Dark Angel with Cameron, and David Goyer (lol)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Young Freud posted:

THE gently caress! YEAH!

The great thing about this is that it's all visuals, there's no real characters for them to screw up in adapting like other Japanese properties. One sides basically space/future Nazis, naming all their mecha with blackletter German names and largely made up of bug-eyed unmanned vehicles, while the Mercenary Army has all the cool poo poo like the Super Armored Fighting Suit and it's millions of variants that could easily be developed into a team of characters. Basically, make the short film Nutrocker with more characters in SAFS fighting the robot armies of the Strahl. Luckily Kow Yokoyama is on board as a producer, so hopefully there's input on keeping those visuals instead of having someone at WETA phone-in designs.

I am a little torn that they're calling it Ma. K and not the full title, just to super sell it on the bombastic nature.

Its weird that the studios are going into anime because I can't think of a single one of them that turned out good in (American) live action. Ghost in the Shell, DBZ Evolution, the Death Note series, and the Last Airbender (honorary anime here) all failed pretty bad.

Also I can't wait until someone in Hollywood finds the real creepy nerdbait shows that take up 95% of anime nowadays.

Edit: Speed Racer, Edge of Tomorrow and the Matrix would probably count as good adaptions, although for the latter two you could go in not knowing its based off of All You Need Is Kill / Ghost in the Shell in the first place.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 21, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Matrix is the most successful anime live action movie.

Feldegast42 posted:

Also I can't wait until someone in Hollywood finds the real creepy nerdbait shows that take up 95% of anime nowadays.
"Guys, I found a great show to option! It's an alternate history show where ALIENS started world war 2, and it's got magic amd science and Chuck Yeager is an audience surrogate!"

"GREAT! one question.... what the gently caress is a Strike Witch :confused:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Edge of Tomorrow was based off of "All You Need Is Kill", and on a budget of 178 million made 370 million in the box office. It's pretty interesting to watch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Speed Racer was criminally underrated.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FilthyImp posted:

"GREAT! one question.... what the gently caress is a Strike Witch :confused:

No god drat scab witches in this coven.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

Its weird that the studios are going into anime because I can't think of a single one of them that turned out good in (American) live action. Ghost in the Shell, DBZ Evolution, the Death Note series, and the Last Airbender (honorary anime here) all failed pretty bad.

Anime is honestly a natural extension for Hollywood to mine, giving that it's that it's the synthesis of nostalgia, simple character development, and cinematic special effects. You know that complaint about Transformers having these human characters when people really want the robots, but it's expensive and risky to feature a film with nothing but CGI? Anime fixes that. It's a bit surprising that Gundam or Macross/Robotech wasn't before Transformers, with their soap opera human interactions combined intense mechanized combat, whereas Bay had to hamfistedly add that into Transformers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gundam was tried actually.

'

It, uh, it didn't go well.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Hollywood is going after manga/anime because manga and anime is the Japanese cultural export that's most penetrated the Asian market, which is still where the biggest pile of money that Hollywood wants is. That, and it's easier for an exec or producer to understand "comic books except Japanese so it's ~weird and different~" as a pitch.

I have no doubt that some studio exec somewhere is trying to lock down the live action rights for Your Name. as we speak, and has been trying since that thing became the top grossing anime movie of all time.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Disney should just buy Studio Ghibli and have them churn out classics on the regular.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Feldegast42 posted:

They already did with Kite, and they even had Samuel L. Jackson play one of the main characters.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The problem with a lot of these is they set up extended universes and sequels. DBZ for instance spent a lot of time on "Wow look a world's martial arts tournament! Wouldn't it be cool to see these fights? Come out and see the sequel and maybe you'll get to!"

If the plot had just been "Goku confronts Piccolo at the world martial arts tournament" it would have been 10x better, but it's clear the writers and producers were trying to "save" material for later.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Aren't they doing that for the upcoming Masters of the Universe remake? They're saving Skeletor for the sequel. I only know two things about Masters of the Universe. 1. It was made to sell toys. 2. It's about a buff dude who fights a skeleton man.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

Aren't they doing that for the upcoming Masters of the Universe remake? They're saving Skeletor for the sequel. I only know two things about Masters of the Universe. 1. It was made to sell toys. 2. It's about a buff dude who fights a skeleton man.

The Horde was cooler than Skeletor's dudes anyway. Their playset had a slime pit and a giant eel monster (glove) for eating He-Mans

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I still remember the gag in oroginal Dragonball when Krilin is fighting a fat stinky guy and Goku reminds him he doesnt have a nose so the stink moves shouldnt affect him. That's the kind of 4-th wall humor you dont see much in movies :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Young Freud posted:

Anime is honestly a natural extension for Hollywood to mine, giving that it's that it's the synthesis of nostalgia, simple character development, and cinematic special effects. You know that complaint about Transformers having these human characters when people really want the robots, but it's expensive and risky to feature a film with nothing but CGI? Anime fixes that. It's a bit surprising that Gundam or Macross/Robotech wasn't before Transformers, with their soap opera human interactions combined intense mechanized combat, whereas Bay had to hamfistedly add that into Transformers.

A bit weird given the Japanese incarnations of Transformers often focus way too much on the annoying teenagers because apparently Japan thinks robots thinking and talking by themselves is weird kiddie poo poo, as opposed to robots being piloted by angsty teenagers. Then again, the American versions always have to throw in the humans too, even Beast Wars being set before humanity existed had weird, uncanny valley-tastic proto-humans occasionally.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ImpAtom posted:

Gundam was tried actually.

'

It, uh, it didn't go well.

Gundam is something that would probably work if it was done A New Hope style, where the movie establishes the world and tells a slightly smaller war story within that setting, and then the sequels cover the next several years of the conflict and its conclusion. The whole franchise is about very big wars that get explored over 40-50 episodes, so trying to cram all that into a single 2-hour movie wouldn't work, I think.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They already did with Kite, and they even had Samuel L. Jackson play one of the main characters.

Oddly enough, the Kite movie resembles a mockbuster of Dredd more than it actually does Kite. Not in the Transformers/Transmorphers sense, but more in the Alien/Contamination sense.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Disney should just buy Studio Ghibli and have them churn out classics on the regular.

That was something Disney was rumored to be looking to do a few years ago. I feel like I remember back in the 90s or early 00s, there were also rumors that Disney was interested in buying Nintendo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't see Disney getting a hold of Studio Ghibli until after Miyazaki dies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Disney did buy exclusive localization and American publication rights. Maybe Europe too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Red Bones posted:

Gundam is something that would probably work if it was done A New Hope style, where the movie establishes the world and tells a slightly smaller war story within that setting, and then the sequels cover the next several years of the conflict and its conclusion. The whole franchise is about very big wars that get explored over 40-50 episodes, so trying to cram all that into a single 2-hour movie wouldn't work, I think.

Yoshiyuki Tomino has been wanting to have a movie about the relationship between hero Amuro Ray, anti-hero Char Aznable, and the women between them, Char's protege Lalah Sune and Char's fraternal sister Sayla Mass. Without the mobile suits.

Also, the series can easily be trimmed into a trilogy, considering that First Gundam and Zeta Gundam got compilation movies that edited a lot of cruft while retaining core plot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Disney did buy exclusive localization and American publication rights. Maybe Europe too.

I believe the rights expired recently.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Young Freud posted:

Yoshiyuki Tomino has been wanting to have a movie about the relationship between hero Amuro Ray, anti-hero Char Aznable, and the women between them, Char's protege Lalah Sune and Char's fraternal sister Sayla Mass. Without the mobile suits.

Also, the series can easily be trimmed into a trilogy, considering that First Gundam and Zeta Gundam got compilation movies that edited a lot of cruft while retaining core plot.

Didn't work out as well for Zeta, but that's because each movie is like an hour shorter than the originals despite being eight episodes longer as a TV series. Still, point does stand.

G-Savior doesn't count, at least not as a Hollywood film, since it's actually a Canadian production from the kind of studio that would bring you a Sci-fi Channel "original" movie featuring reused costumes and props from 1997's Starship Troopers.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

Didn't work out as well for Zeta, but that's because each movie is like an hour shorter than the originals despite being eight episodes longer as a TV series. Still, point does stand.

Zeta also had the problem of being made 20 years after the initial broadcast. The MSG movies were made a couple of years after First Gundam, so the animation didn't contrast as much as it did there, and even if it did, it was movie-quality animation with the TV animation as filler. But, with Zeta, animation has changed, with CG mecha, digital ink and paint, and higher quality and frame rates. Even Hiroyuki Kitazume's art style has changed radically that the newer animation inserted or replacing footage is a jarring cut when transitioning from old and new footage.

The newer animation is excellent, it's just they should have just done the entire film like that instead of splicing it into the TV animation.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't see Disney getting a hold of Studio Ghibli until after Miyazaki dies.

The studio will die with Miyazaki and Takahata. The only other person they've produced that's actually stayed with the studio is Yonebayashi, the guy who made Arriety and When Marnie Was There. Hiroyuki Morita went and became a key animator for other stuff, Yoshifumi Kondō (Whisper of The Heart) died, and even Miyazaki's own son Gorō said "gently caress this" after his second movie and made his own studio.

By the way, those are the only other people who've been allowed to direct features at Ghibli outside of Miyazaki and Takahata. Which is very bad when the studio's been around for thirty years and studios half their age have cultivated a lot more talent.

And if it doesn't die completely with two of the founders Japan's government is 100% going to block a purchase from any American/European/Chinese company, no matter the ridiculous amount of money I am sure Disney would offer for it. There's a very striking blockade against allowing foreign companies - particularly monolithic things like the Disney empire - to sweep in and take cultural or financial cornerstones in the country and own them. The same goes for Nintendo - the only sort of buyers who could get away with buying them would be a Sony or a GungHo or a Bushiroad, and the only one that would be able to have the collateral to do such a thing is, really, Sony.

The only way I can see any American company purchasing, or even getting a sizable investment in, a Japanese company is if their entire economy is on the brink of total collapse on the level of "our society will crumble", and even then, it's a bit of a coin flip whether they'd just let it all fall apart so they could rebuild it again.

I mean, just look up how home buying works over there and realize that it's a culture 100% okay with razing things to the ground and building a better thing on top of it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of have to wonder just how much Cameron is actually going to be involved with a new Terminator movie because there's certainly no way he's going to direct it considering his output in the last 20 years.

The guy who directed Deadpool is directing it.

e: beaten

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 21, 2017

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Detective No. 27 posted:

3. The skeleton is also buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

4. The Skeleton is also Biff, as portrayed by Tom Wilson

• Locked thread