Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Instead of wearing terrible earplugs removing all highs and mids out of a gig you could also choose to stand a bit further away from the speakers. I'm not the typical guy going lol gently caress plugs let's destroy everything including my ears but I have yet to hear music not getting poo poo through whatever type of plugs I've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Standing "further" from the speaker will still give you hearing damage

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO-QQNpfTrk

This is good poo poo. I did not know they put an album out this year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Klaaz posted:

Instead of wearing terrible earplugs removing all highs and mids out of a gig you could also choose to stand a bit further away from the speakers. I'm not the typical guy going lol gently caress plugs let's destroy everything including my ears but I have yet to hear music not getting poo poo through whatever type of plugs I've tried.

Most metal venues are small enough and loud enough that it really doesn't matter where you stand

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Most metal venues are small enough and loud enough that it really doesn't matter where you stand
Not so much the case in a big city like New York, where a touring metal act usually ends up in a 1,000-capacity venue like Irving Plaza or Webster Hall. But I remember there being a huge difference in listenability between the front and rear ends of the venue even way back at L'amour in Brooklyn.

Saint Vitus? Yeah, doesn't matter there.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If a big venue has been set up properly sound-wise, the level should be about equal no matter where you are.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

If a big venue has been set up properly sound-wise, the level should be about equal no matter where you are.
This relies on the space being designed for acoustics in the first place, which is definitely not the case in big cities. NYC again: you've got places like Radio City Music Hall where the acoustics are impeccably even, sure, but then you've got concrete nightmares made of right angles like Terminal 5.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vulture Culture posted:

Ha, SV would've been my counterpoint to NY. That's such a great venue, really wanna go back at some point in the future.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Spatulater bro! posted:

You seem to forget that every single FOH guy in the world is deaf, lazy, and terrible.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Vulture Culture posted:

Not so much the case in a big city like New York, where a touring metal act usually ends up in a 1,000-capacity venue like Irving Plaza or Webster Hall. But I remember there being a huge difference in listenability between the front and rear ends of the venue even way back at L'amour in Brooklyn.

In Detroit there's Harpo's which used to be a pretty big deal when it was a opera hall and now it's just a dingy place that has something like a 2000 person capacity and it's too loud in every corner of the place.

Still owns, though, although the guy who bought it is trying to "clean it up".

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Every now and then I revisit this album, and every single time I am amazed by the production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5DO3y3mt6c

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hello, Ween

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Seeing Mastodon tonight. :rock::woop:

The set lists they've been playing lately look really good, but I am sad they won't be playing clandestiny or jaguar God. My 2 favorites from emperor of sand.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

th3t00t posted:

Seeing Mastodon tonight. :rock::woop:

The set lists they've been playing lately look really good, but I am sad they won't be playing clandestiny or jaguar God. My 2 favorites from emperor of sand.

are you bringing your girlfriend?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Burn it all to the loving ground.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2017/10/09/mother-loses-custody-of-two-year-old-daughter-after-lostprophets-ian-watkins-groomed-her-from-prison/

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That's how they've been since the beginning

It clicked. Hard. Fuuuuck this album rips.

The solo in Of God and Serpent, Of longfuckingsongtitle with the blasts behind it oh my goooood

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 11, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
BDM are a band that I respect for working their asses off while not taking themselves super seriously, and I do think they've developed a sound more distinctive than just ripping off At the Gates, but the finished product just isn't all that great.

Also Brian Eschbach went to my high school so that's always been a neat connection I guess.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

quote:

Today in a shocking statement, Italian symphonic death metal masters Fleshgod Apocalypse have noted that vocalist Tommaso Riccardi abruptly left the band a month ago due to "personal reasons." It seems there might have been trouble brewing for a while, because the band all agreed it was time to move on.

In a statement, they've announced that they have thought about it and have decided that founder, drummer and original vocalist, Francesco Paoli, will get back behind the mic and thus the band also welcome David Folchitto on drums and Fabio Bartoletti on lead guitar. Here's the full statement:

Shame...he is an amazing drummer and I would prefer him to stay there.

henpod fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 11, 2017

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BDM are a band that I respect for working their asses off while not taking themselves super seriously, and I do think they've developed a sound more distinctive than just ripping off At the Gates, but the finished product just isn't all that great.

Also Brian Eschbach went to my high school so that's always been a neat connection I guess.
Has the singer stopped taking his shirt off? It was like watching Lord Gloom's guard dance around the stage.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Vulture Culture posted:

Has the singer stopped taking his shirt off? It was like watching Lord Gloom's guard dance around the stage.

No and I never want that to change.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The Chasm has a new album...

https://luxinframundisproductions.bandcamp.com/album/a-conscious-creation-from-the-isolated-domain-phase-i

gently caress yes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm hesitant to check out a 100% instrumental Chasm album

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
I ordered the new Exhumed and Haemorrhage albums on cool looking splatter vinyl.

They both came with digital download codes, so feel free to grab them:

Redeem at relapserecords.bandcamp.com/yum

Exhumed - Death Revenge: b9fb-5q6y
Haemorrhage - We are the Gore: ull5-x9ck

TeamJesus fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 12, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

shirtless fat guys in metal bands are bad rear end

I'm hesitant to check out a 100% instrumental Chasm album

The last one had barely any vocals anyway, doesn't seem too different.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

TeamJesus posted:

Redeem at relapserecords.bandcamp.com/yum

Exhumed - Death Revenge: b9fb-5q6y

Claimed. Thanks! I saw them live when Anatomy is Destiny came out but haven't heard any of their material since.

MrSlug
Nov 23, 2004
The members of Bell Witch released a Spotify playlist today with some nice tunes on it. Lookin forward to seeing them with Primitive Man - I assume it will be incredibly loud.

https://open.spotify.com/user/bellwitch/playlist/07tLHJQl3IxEWkMBHZKa6i

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Will the new forums allow individual thread backgrounds?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ha ha someone made a joke that we're getting new forums.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Muppets On PCP posted:

e: in other news danzig put out a lovely new video and i was all set to make a hilarious and witty joke about him wearing a danzig skull fanny pack when he goes mall-walking with the other geriatrics but fucker disabled comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EclL-8laqdw

Just caught up on the last bunch of pages, this is one of the better songs posted for me. Your joke idea is good, that should've been the video. I'm intending to see somebody even older soon by the way, Udo Dirkschneider!

I've been enjoying a couple books, Lemmy's autobiography White Line Fever and another Lemmy biography called Lemmy, by Mick Wall. Really good reads, also read some of another Motorhead book at the store. Any other good rock books or biographies? Or could be any music genre, just being metal or offbeat in some way makes for interesting stories.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Heavy Metal posted:

Just caught up on the last bunch of pages, this is one of the better songs posted for me. Your joke idea is good, that should've been the video. I'm intending to see somebody even older soon by the way, Udo Dirkschneider!

I've been enjoying a couple books, Lemmy's autobiography White Line Fever and another Lemmy biography called Lemmy, by Mick Wall. Really good reads, also read some of another Motorhead book at the store. Any other good rock books or biographies? Or could be any music genre, just being metal or offbeat in some way makes for interesting stories.

I'm reading Choosing Death, it's pretty entertaining, not too dense (unlike say, Patterson's Black Metal, which is also good but dense reading) and shortish.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOiy9Mf-cWA

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

the yeti posted:

I'm reading Choosing Death, it's pretty entertaining, not too dense (unlike say, Patterson's Black Metal, which is also good but dense reading) and shortish.

Oh hey, I just started that

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

the yeti posted:

Cool, right on. Book of Death would've been a metal title for it also, lot of options.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

the yeti posted:

Sound of the Beast is a pretty good and if I remember correctly, easy read about metal in general. Patterson's Black Metal is really good, but it is super dense reading. I've read it twice and it's much faster on the second read.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sound of the Beast is really good as an introduction to the genre but it's not super in depth. It also has some dumb mistakes like calling early Metallica "power metal" and actual power metal "legacy metal"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Reading Sound of the Beast in 9th grade introduced me to a lot of stuff beyond the Metallica and Maiden I was listening to at the time. It's good.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Phil Anselmo in a black metal supergroup band? It's pretty good

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/new-music/scour-pig-destroyer-cattle-decapitation-grinds-away-with-a-new-song-called-piles

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I'm pretty surprised that someone from Cattle Decap would want to be in a band with Phil Anselmo but I'm guessing their current bassist is not as liberal as Travis Ryan seems to be.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I forgot about the Immolation album released earlier this year. It’s really good catching up with it again. Obviously a grower that I got distracted away from through the summer. Did you guys enjoy it?

Heavy Metal posted:

Which of those would you suggest grabbing if I wanted to pick one? I need to spend some time reading about Lemmy for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I forgot about the Immolation album released earlier this year. It’s really good catching up with it again. Obviously a grower that I got distracted away from through the summer. Did you guys enjoy it?

Which of those would you suggest grabbing if I wanted to pick one? I need to spend some time reading about Lemmy for sure.

I enjoy every Immolation album but the last couple are a step down from the very underrated Majesty and Decay.