Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone else feel like AoE fire attacks are a liability because of the fire they leave on the ground? Almost every single time I use the fire Wraith Flash I also end up igniting myself. I wonder if there's any gear that makes you immune to fire...

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

Anyone else feel like AoE fire attacks are a liability because of the fire they leave on the ground? Almost every single time I use the fire Wraith Flash I also end up igniting myself. I wonder if there's any gear that makes you immune to fire...

I have armor that reduces all damage taken by 50% when ignited, but I need to perform a counter while ignited to activate it. So far I haven't been able to pull it off, I think the ignition is wearing off before I get someone in a position to throw an attack I can counter.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Game is good, and nice and tough on nemesis. I have one Orc, Maug, who I need to sort out some tactics for before I take on again, he has these things he throws that I can't even see and explode into a fine white mist taking a quarter of my health with them, and if he gets the final blow there's no last chance. Instead of the button prompt it even shows some text saying I don't get a chance and he pulls out a special hook knife to gut me with.

So I'm avoiding him and trying to find some Orcs lower than my level to recruit. I get a mystic then decide to go a Captain v. Captain quest.

These two captains are going at it, I jump in, summon the mystic, and immediately this huge Orog captain appears calling me a coward, he grabs my new mystic buddy in one hand and slams him to the ground, where he lays bleeding to death for the rest of the fight. RIP my first recruit.

I kill one captain, shame another, and as I'm about to start working on the Orog captain loving Maug the rear end in a top hat shows up. Turns out the first guy was his blood brother. He's Maug the avenger now, Warcheif.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Question about a certain side character for Tolkien super nerds. "Blade of Galadriel" can see Celebrimbor and interact with the Nazgl in their wraith form. As I remember, that is restricted mostly to Ainur, whatever Tom is and those who dwelled in Aman to see the light before Ungoliant ate the trees. Is it ever explained if she is one of Calaquendi or Light of Galadriel lets her perceive all of that?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Cirofren posted:

Game is good, and nice and tough on nemesis. I have one Orc, Maug, who I need to sort out some tactics for before I take on again, he has these things he throws that I can't even see and explode into a fine white mist taking a quarter of my health with them, and if he gets the final blow there's no last chance. Instead of the button prompt it even shows some text saying I don't get a chance and he pulls out a special hook knife to gut me with.

So I'm avoiding him and trying to find some Orcs lower than my level to recruit. I get a mystic then decide to go a Captain v. Captain quest.

These two captains are going at it, I jump in, summon the mystic, and immediately this huge Orog captain appears calling me a coward, he grabs my new mystic buddy in one hand and slams him to the ground, where he lays bleeding to death for the rest of the fight. RIP my first recruit.

I kill one captain, shame another, and as I'm about to start working on the Orog captain loving Maug the rear end in a top hat shows up. Turns out the first guy was his blood brother. He's Maug the avenger now, Warcheif.

Good and funny post that sums up the game very well, added it to the OP and i hope you never manage to beat Maug.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Nechronic posted:

I have armor that reduces all damage taken by 50% when ignited, but I need to perform a counter while ignited to activate it. So far I haven't been able to pull it off, I think the ignition is wearing off before I get someone in a position to throw an attack I can counter.

I've got a ring that regens quite a bit of my health while I'm on fire.
Which pairs very well with the armor that makes every dead enemy have a 18% chance to explode, which regularly sets me on fire.
Basically every captain-introduction monologue has explosions going off in the background, as whatever orcs I picked off prior start exploding.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So the first captain to have a hypeman is this peewee level 5 orc who doesn't even have a title, get your poo poo together game
And I finally took out Dush the Drooler. I was loving surrounded by orcs, but Dush was very, very vulnerable to stuns and Terrified when on fire and I had recently acquired the Elf Fire modifier so that was a lot of fun.
Ended up cutting both of his goddamn arms off.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RatHat posted:

A nice detail is that if an orc is on fire and you grab them, you get lit on fire as well.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Dongattack posted:

I just finished all the Bruz quests and (spoiler for the entire Bruz questline, don't read if you haven't finished it) i feel so loving bad, i have never felt so bad in a game before. I tracked him down and ended his misery all while he was crying "i never wanted the fort". I have to stop and take a break here. Hope he doesn't come back, but i made sure to kill him with poison just in case so i feel maximum bad about it if he does, HEHE.

Yeah, pretty much the same. I sent him to fight in the pits, wanted to see if something flashed back. It didn't. Kinda want to see what happens if he gets promoted to overlord. Bad feelings aside, I like how the game doesn't even try to paint us as the good guys, just as an alternative to Sauron.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you pick the Chain of Souls upgrade for Consume, you can get full health from a single Might combo by spinning the camera around and hitting X after slamming A+B (or X+Square on PS4 controller), its a huge get out of jail free card.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I have a ring that gives full health on a single drain. I try to save two elf shot so I can shadowstrike to a high up archer/far away isolated orc and drain him.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GuyUpNorth posted:

Question about a certain side character for Tolkien super nerds. "Blade of Galadriel" can see Celebrimbor and interact with the Nazgl in their wraith form. As I remember, that is restricted mostly to Ainur, whatever Tom is and those who dwelled in Aman to see the light before Ungoliant ate the trees. Is it ever explained if she is one of Calaquendi or Light of Galadriel lets her perceive all of that?

I assume its just a handwave, shes a really powerful elf type of thing. Its kind of like Glorfindel being a single elf loving up a balrog, Fingon nearly defeating Morgoth, and Luthien beating Sauron / putting Morgoth to sleep. Really strong elves just get some handwavey stuff.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Aww man. I was just saved by Forthog.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
good game
https://twitter.com/KungFu_Grip/status/918611183762116608

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I was just saddened to learn that you cannot recruit captains from online vendetta missions. The game lets you do it, but they dont stick. Shame, I had a bitchin olag in one too.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Just finished an execution mission and was checking out my new gear. Took a moment to glance over the last words on the gear from captains past. I've had the same set of armour for a few hours, from a level 7 but it has an epic bonus which means it's still more useful than the level 12 or so stuff I'm getting. It also has a quote from said Level 7 orc about how his blood brother is coming for me. I'd sort of reached a point where I thought the blood brother may have been killed by me without realising, or maybe he died in a mission I didn't attend. Wondered what would happen if he was still around.

Anyway, I stop looking at gear and take a second to think where to go next. Camera suddenly pans behind me as a Level 19 Olog-Hai drops down from above, and a fist as big as Talion picks me up and smashes me into the ground. Turns out he's the guy with the dead blood brother! Impeccable timing.

I love the improved nemesis system so far!

EDIT: Okay he's pretty tough. I took off about 5% of his health by jumping on him and stabbing him in the back then he took me out in two hits. Just as the game slowed down for the final blow, a gondorian soldier came out of nowhere and eviscerated him. Holy poo poo okay. Thanks I guess, but I was actually looking forward to him being a recurring baddie!

ANOTHER EDIT: I finish the last edit, unpause and ANOTHER captain appears behind me and the gondor sergeant who just saved my rear end. "You stupid gob, that fight shoulda been the end of you. Don't worry this one will be!" This system is crazy.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 13, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

eonwe posted:

I assume its just a handwave, shes a really powerful elf type of thing. Its kind of like Glorfindel being a single elf loving up a balrog, Fingon nearly defeating Morgoth, and Luthien beating Sauron / putting Morgoth to sleep. Really strong elves just get some handwavey stuff.

Yeah, pretty much this. Lorewise these games are....eccentric, to say the least.

There's a part of me that really likes Silmarillion and loves to go head first into the really deep loremaking that Tolkien did. But there's also a part of me that likes to have fun while playing games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So, ummm, are you guys using non-Legendary gear?
Because as soon as I realized that you can easily get two free legendary sets once you hit Act 2 (Bright Lord and Vengeance sets) I haven't been using anything else.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just started recruiting captains and WTF is that challenge where you have to try to kill more orcs than the drakes do.

Am I supposed to come back later to do that? I put in a decent showing and even took down a drake but then I ran out of arrows and explosive barrels and lost like 21 to 33.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

I was told this is a feature not a bug, but that doesn't explain this huge group

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bewilderment posted:

I just started recruiting captains and WTF is that challenge where you have to try to kill more orcs than the drakes do.

Am I supposed to come back later to do that? I put in a decent showing and even took down a drake but then I ran out of arrows and explosive barrels and lost like 21 to 33.

Either kill the drakes to make it easier or dominate them to make the challenge a total joke.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Does this need to be on a SSD?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

It's not on mine, and load times are minimal. A couple seconds, perhaps, after a mission or when starting the game/changing regions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Not really. There are only loading screens when you're jumping between regions and when doing some story missions.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Lots of people talking about rings. I don't even have a ring slot. Does it unlock later?

Also, the random grunt that killed me, a tark, keeps coming back and I love it:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

SettingSun posted:

It's not on mine, and load times are minimal. A couple seconds, perhaps, after a mission or when starting the game/changing regions.

Jack Trades posted:

Not really. There are only loading screens when you're jumping between regions and when doing some story missions.

sweet thanks for the quick response. Also ouch that DLC is expensive, is silver edition must have?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone found some good or brokenly good gear? I've heard about a chestpiece that makes you invisible after Last Chance, but not came across one myself. Barring a ring upgrade that gives me elfshot after dominating grunts i haven't found anything MUST HAVE. Noone of the legendary set bonuses really popped out to me as a must have item either.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Dongattack posted:

Has anyone found some good or brokenly good gear? I've heard about a chestpiece that makes you invisible after Last Chance, but not came across one myself. Barring a ring upgrade that gives me elfshot after dominating grunts i haven't found anything MUST HAVE. Noone of the legendary set bonuses really popped out to me as a must have item either.

There's a 4 pc that gives you 15% chance to proc a poison explosion off any attack. I am looking forward to it. I have a bodyguard that is a poison destroyer and EVERYTHING is completely soaked in poison when he's around.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Lots of people talking about rings. I don't even have a ring slot. Does it unlock later?

Also, the random grunt that killed me, a tark, keeps coming back and I love it:

yeah, when you finish act 1

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Jack Trades posted:

Here's an interesting build that I'm using:
4 Bright Lord pieces, 2 Vengeance pieces, Bright Lord's Wrath skill upgrade (gives you Wrath on a Consume).

Elven Rage gives you full Might which lets you use 2 Consume Finishers
Vengeance set bonus lets you use 2 more Consume Finishers by using your HP.
4 Consume Finishers gives you full Wraith Bar.
Repeat.

Basically you kill everything and replenish all of your resources as long as there are enough Consume targets (grunts) around you.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

So, ummm, are you guys using non-Legendary gear?
Because as soon as I realized that you can easily get two free legendary sets once you hit Act 2 (Bright Lord and Vengeance sets) I haven't been using anything else.

Most of the Legendary Gear sucks, especially compared to Epic. It's only comparable stat wise to gear a couple levels above it, and you're stuck on a bad upgrade path with them (can only upgrade at level 20, 40, and 55 minimum, and only to those levels). The Ringwraith set bonus seems like a decent option, but good luck leveling those up. The Bright Lord and Vendetta sets just don't have anything useful for the difficult part of the game and the Vendetta set in particular is more like to kill you than anything else. I mean if you can fight difficult captain's permanently under 35% health it's probably pretty great but that's crazy.

The only two sets I can see really being worth it are Dark and Warmonger, with a maybe on Machine.

---------------------

In more direct game news, I think I'm done with Nemesis. I've been leveling up Orcs to be above 40, because I found out you can only resurrect dead allies, so I need allies to get to level 40 and die so I can resurrect them to level up the Ringwraith set. In so doing I've found level doesn't mean a whole lot on Nemesis. I just had a level 20 un-enraged Berserker two shot me. I'd rather just finish off the game coasting along then deal with this kind of BS again and again.

nessin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 13, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

bewilderment posted:

Yeah that quest is rough before you can dominate drakes. Killing all the drakes doesn't even work since they start to respawn. What I did was kill 2 drakes and then go on an headshot spree since Celebrimbor's bow skills are ridiculous. Remember to use the explosive containers around the level too.

Alternatively just wait until you get the skill to dominate drakes and then it becomes a total joke.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

By the way, can someone explain to me how to use the super attack that you're supposed to be able to do while in Elven Rage? Something about holding the attack button but it seems to do nothing special.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm pretty sure the Nemesis I imported was triple-vulnerable and had Fear of the Gravewalker. Gonna be interesting to see him in the arena at the end of... Act 1?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Jack Trades posted:

Basically you kill everything and replenish all of your resources as long as there are enough Consume targets (grunts) around you.

Haha, that's pretty cool. Do you have to do many online assaults to get the vengeance pieces?

Edit: Nvm! I found the in game overview over where you get the pieces.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 13, 2017

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I realize the possibilities open up later but orcs adapting at the beginning of the game are a bitch. I've got like three attacks, four if you count the bow, and by the end of every fight a captain is immune to at least two of them. If I was playing on Nemesis I probably wouldn't have a single kill.

Is there any point to combos anymore?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Jack Trades posted:

By the way, can someone explain to me how to use the super attack that you're supposed to be able to do while in Elven Rage? Something about holding the attack button but it seems to do nothing special.

Hold down the attack button while holding in the direction of the orcs you want to kill.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

So is orcs coming back from the dead supposed to be rare? Because it has yet to happen to me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mailer posted:

I realize the possibilities open up later but orcs adapting at the beginning of the game are a bitch. I've got like three attacks, four if you count the bow, and by the end of every fight a captain is immune to at least two of them. If I was playing on Nemesis I probably wouldn't have a single kill.

Is there any point to combos anymore?

Your attacks become stronger as your combo goes up. Also some skills use your combo number(for example one makes critical hits much more likely above 20).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

How does this game save? I can't figure it out and every time I quit it makes me replay poo poo.

• Locked thread