Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Toblakai posted:

It's gone, what was it?

It was a tweet about a defendant in Mississippi or something being denied an appeal because his request to the police for a lawyer was ambiguous. He said he "needed a lawyer, dog", and he might've been asking for a lawyer who was a dog.

Thread meme of "legal" being a dog, etc.

Looks like he remade the tweet:

https://twitter.com/cjciaramella/status/925025023676608512

Edit: Counts as tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

There are still a few bugs preventing a wider PTU release. We're making good progress though - fps has increased greatly.

To what, from what? Why work the entire year on an FPS increase? You hopeful for the return of the monthly patches given that they've spent since July polishing?

Dusty Lens posted:

He literally promised the world and then didn't deliver anything.

We're a year off knowing what the actual mining mechanisms are since they sold that ship. Let alone the news van. There's going to be so much unfinished poo poo when the money runs out. Take even a small section of the talk on the Pioneer, and it's literally a set of mechanics divorced from any of the actually produced code or gameplay demos.

Even the 3.0 candidate they had on the floor appeared to offer the same weird physics that we saw for the Gamescom demo.

Reading that Visceral Story that SomethingJones linked;

quote:

Then the problems started. Throughout 2015 and then the rest of development, Hennig began clashing with others at Visceral, particularly the design team, according to all of the staff who spoke to me for this story. Designers described Hennig as a brilliant writer and story-teller who was spread too thin on Ragtag. Because she wanted to direct every aspect of the game, and many decisions had to run through her, it became difficult for Visceral staff to get her attention. She would work long hours and weekends, but she also spent a great deal of time flying down to Los Angeles to record with actors. Some told anecdotes about waiting weeks or months just to get her approval on something they’d done, only to find out that it didn’t meet her standards.
https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 30, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

There are still a few bugs preventing a wider PTU release. We're making good progress though - fps has increased greatly.

Has there been an improvement in the collision detection and clipping issues?

Not being a dick, I would like to know

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Is the average FPS two or three times as many years as the game as been in pre-alpha.

Fingers crossed for four.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

AI is still barebones and unchanged from GAMESCOM. This should not be a thing 6 years into development.

There was no multiplayer whatsoever, a major step back from GAMESCOM.

There was no combat, or anything for your character to do, other than travel. This is a major step back from literally everything.

There was an 8 minute loading time. This is a step back to pre-2010's days of load times, on better, more fleshed out programs. This is not about "balancing travel time". A major step backwards.

There was 1 city, with the jankiest of buildings and terrain, that constantly looked wrong for anything more than a passing glance. No, you couldn't go land on a building and walk anywhere, its a bullshot. Not only that, but the hyper-real super-legit game, Star Citizen, has distances far too short and physics far too muddied to represent anything close to realistic. A major step back from everything.

Maybe you should take a step back from this project and judge it upon the same merits as you would other games. And no, CIG produces a lot of white noise content, very little of which is useful in any way, shape, or form. Case in point, go check out any of the earlier 10 For The Chairman videos. How many of the questions are still applicable, and how close are they to being implemented? Where's farming, or mining, or anything for that matter?

"Just around the corner" is not informative, it is deception, you loving mark.
I know you are bitter about citcon but the solution is self honesty. They have something special here

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

SomethingJones posted:

Has there been an improvement in the collision detection and clipping issues?

Not being a dick, I would like to know

Collision detection notification have since been toned-down and appears to be more accurate, but it's not the case for some of the ships (such as the Xi'an).

I'm not noticing many clipping issues with ships, but have noticed a couple for wheels once planetside. They're working on those now.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Isn't the current remaining bugs' graph, just the bugs till the next phase of Evocati testing for additional features?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Hav posted:

It's less a stitch together than a streaming map, but then they couldn't actually demonstrate two people seeing the same stream, could they, because it was generated for a single observer.

Well, if they've done pcg correctly, the geometry, textures, etc are not generated server-side and streamed over the pipe to client. The algorithms and textures live on client, so the client has all the tools, and the server just sends a seed. The client plugs the seed into the algorithm, generates the geometry as player approaches a new region, and splats it down as seamlessly as possible once it hits draw distance. This is why shitizens bragging about "hey guys lol star citizen doesn't have draw distance, most revolutionary game ever :smug:" is so hilarious. Because draw distance is literally how pcg works.

They just need to make sure the algorithms are seeded pseudorandom, so that they produce the same random result every time they're run. I mean, if CIG didn't do it that way, then literally all of their pcg code needs to be re-written.

Hav posted:

Where is 3.0, BTW? Did all those people who've played it not _actually_ play it, or do you maybe suspect that they were shown a demo within specific guardrails?

This is the point. Whenever CIG tries to make something that is real, tangible, and dare I say, playable, it's a total catastrophe. This is why their Citcon preso was brilliant. Give the people what they want: hopes and dreams of a better tomorrow. The last thing CIG should ever do is release playable software to its backers, because the great and powerful Oz will be revealed as some creeper behind a curtain turning wheels and knobs.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

Collision detection notification have since been toned-down and appears to be more accurate, but it's not the case for some of the ships (such as the Xi'an).

I'm not noticing many clipping issues with ships, but have noticed a couple for wheels once planetside. They're working on those now.

what about running against a door until you clip through it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I know you are bitter about citcon but the solution is self honesty. They have something special here

You're not wrong on that.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Kotaku spoke to a dozen ex-Visceral devs, this is an amazing read

https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

My takeaway is that these guys wanted to make a really interesting game but were scuppered by upper management and Disney execs second guessing everything from art direction to gameplay to level design.

The choice of engine seemingly didn't help much either.

Really good read, eye opening.

quote:

Over the past week I’ve talked to nearly a dozen former Visceral employees who worked on Ragtag, all of whom spoke anonymously because they did not want to risk damaging their careers. I’ve also spoken to several other developers who are tangentially connected to Visceral. They all share similar stories. Ragtag was a project sunk by many factors, including a lack of resources, a vision that was too ambitious for its budget, a difficult game engine, a director who clashed with staff, a studio located in one of the most expensive cities in the world, a reputation for toxicity, multiple conflicts between Visceral and EA, and what can only be described as the curse of Star Wars.

drat, sounds like this other game company I know...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Comparatively, communication still remains more open and public than pretty much any other title I've seen - and I'm glad of it.

Thank you about not gloating (lol, how could you?) but you must be making GBS threads us with that sentence, right? Like, do a direct comparison between citcon and, dunno, every other loving video game conference? Compare it directly to the Frontier one. The dates announced, the detailed development charts, the explanation behind design decisions, the showcase of gameplay? That's also open and public, but more importantly informative in a way that SC's vague promises are not.

SC may be very open and public, but it's open and public in the same way an encrypted message posted on a forum is. Everybody can read the gibberish but no info can be extracted from it.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm the in-game independent forensics analyst/referee

Tie-breaker: Total amount pledged

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

deliver little, but show big

What was your favorite piece of new gameplay from the big show? I do agree that they continue to deliver little though, spot on analysis.

ManofManyAliases posted:

It appears, however, that what was shown was the tip of an iceberg that remains shrouded in the mystery of game development. Comparatively, communication still remains more open and public than pretty much any other title I've seen - and I'm glad of it.
I'm the conflicting statements posted successively. Also, I'm not.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

Thanks

It seems to me that without any of that stuff working there isn't a hope in hell of a game.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Mr Fronts posted:

No, I reckon most "potential" backers who worked in the financial systems industry heard Roberts' idiotic initial project plan, sized it up as bullshit right away, and steered clear. I mean, that sales pitch. Multiple teams/contractors developing modules in parallel, then slotting them together to make an integrated product? Sure, there are established ways to do that - it's a pretty commonplace project approach, after all.

But they hosed it up right at the start. Star Citizen was easy to classify as doomed/hosed/development-hell/comedy-fail/textbook-how-not-to-do-it. CIG broke the most basic rule, right from the get-go...

DO:
- Write a detailed functional spec for each module, and for the interactions between each module.

DONT:
- Let any team start coding their module until the functional specs are done.

CIG didn't go away into squirrel mode, into back rooms, planning their poo poo, nailing down their project. They didn't speak once on the boring but vital work being done, hammering together boring docs. No, they were OFF AND RUNNING, developing! So exciting! So marketable! So impossible to build into one cohesive product without proper advance planning!

Note: We're talking 2012/2013 here. At the time, CIG's end product pretty much involved a pilot-focused spaceflight module, a "landing zone FPS" module and a "boarding FPS" module". It was abundantly clear then that those modules wouldn't come together if they were going to be cowboys about doing it seat-of-the-pants.

True to form, they went off the rails, making the spaceflight module suddenly involving non-pilot focused gameplay - passenger, flight attendant, crew member doing turrets, repairs. Huge spec change, on-the-fly.

Even back then, it wasn't like CIG was trying to get a 100% free-walk spaceflight environment seamlessly integrated with atmospheric reentry, planetary landings, exploring on foot and in wheeled/hovering vehicles, orbital mechanics and day/night cycles.

How much poo poo has this company written and then discarded, all because they had (have) no development documentation discipline?
:boom:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

trucutru posted:

Thank you about not gloating (lol, how could you?) but you must be making GBS threads us with that sentence, right? Like, do a direct comparison between citcon and, dunno, every other loving video game conference? Compare it directly to the Frontier one. The dates announced, the detailed development charts, the explanation behind design decisions, the showcase of gameplay? That's also open and public, but more importantly informative in a way that SC's vague promises are not.

SC may be very open and public, but it's open and public in the same way an encrypted message posted on a forum is. Everybody can read the gibberish but no info can be extracted from it.

Open development is the excuse for everything being broken and poo poo. Some see right through this, others buy it.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Some guy with a 980ti was getting 18FPS but moma says framerate has improved so that's alright. Is it now 19?

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

Some guy with a 980ti was getting 18FPS but moma says framerate has improved so that's alright. Is it now 19?

It's significant

as in they can actually measure a positive change this time

groundbreaking

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Daztek posted:

what about running against a door until you clip through it

While possibly a funny attempt and mockery, I have not witnessed this yet.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Have you witnessed anything of 3.0 tho? As far as I know you're not in the Avocados.

Is your witnessing limited to leaks?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

trucutru posted:

Have you witnessed anything tho? As far as I know you're not in the Avocados.

Yes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

First hand? (as in you playing 3.0) Or are we talking about videos and leaks?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 30, 2017

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

ManofManyAliases posted:

Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r6EtT6Pa_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiq8qLqpOJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THaPbELroKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmbwsGtDS8g

From 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkiGGouHqws

I'm sure it's fine in 3.0, though. Ship hatches will work good too.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

Well, if they've done pcg correctly, the geometry, textures, etc are not generated server-side and streamed over the pipe to client.

And what does your heart tell you?

more from the Visceral story;

quote:

Working with a big publisher often means embracing poor game development practices just to impress fans and executives, which is what Visceral had done, according to people who worked on that demo. “If you looked at it objectively, you’d be like, ‘There’s nothing here,’” said one. “Dodger can do like three things. But it was cut in a specific way that looked interesting, and visually it was really nice looking.”

tee hee

trucutru posted:

First hand? (as in you playing the game) Or are we talking about videos and leaks?

'Witnessed' means first hand. I'm not sure why you'd doubt MoMa. His predictions have been spot on, for a large enough value of 'spot'.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
I haven't seen any real discussion on the cost of building a hardware architecture that would be able to deliver this MMO.

Maybe someone has a much better idea of the actual design but I honestly can't see this not costing a tremendous amount of the $160M they have collected from donors.

Not taking into account the hosting, gateway, DB, networking, etc. Just the servers needed to supply 1.8-2M players (a third of that for max concurrent activity let's say 600,000) @ 24 players per server (seems like their hoped for target right now) would equal almost 25,000 servers.

If they were to buy them it would be more than $50M using a base $2K server. Leasing would be close to $1.3M per month.

Again, this doesn't take into account the rest of the hardware requirements to deliver this so pretty conservative in my opinion.

I just don't see this as being financially feasible. Am I missing something here?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

You going to report them for breaking the NDA and thus THE loving LAW?!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

monkeytek posted:

Am I missing something here?

faith

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

monkeytek posted:

I just don't see this as being financially feasible. Am I missing something here?

They say that they're going to rely on Amazon compute. They suggest that they might be able to produce enough microservices to spread out the load to utilize lambda. None of that makes much sense given the actual networking bandwidth they're going to need, as Amazon is effectively commercial compute which doesn't give a gently caress about your shooter latency.

There's also the linear extrapolation of everyone buying in when the game is released, which is always fun to hear. You know, the way that WoW kept up the linear expansion beyond 8 millon.

- MoonsDreams

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

monkeytek posted:

I haven't seen any real discussion on the cost of building a hardware architecture that would be able to deliver this MMO.

Maybe someone has a much better idea of the actual design but I honestly can't see this not costing a tremendous amount of the $160M they have collected from donors.

Not taking into account the hosting, gateway, DB, networking, etc. Just the servers needed to supply 1.8-2M players (a third of that for max concurrent activity let's say 600,000) @ 24 players per server (seems like their hoped for target right now) would equal almost 25,000 servers.

If they were to buy them it would be more than $50M using a base $2K server. Leasing would be close to $1.3M per month.

Again, this doesn't take into account the rest of the hardware requirements to deliver this so pretty conservative in my opinion.

There aren't 2 million players, that's the number of forum accounts. The number of suckers, I mean crowdfunders, is far, far below that. The current alpha never has more than a handful of people playing it, like single digit people in the modes other than wankpod mode, I forget the name of that.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

PLANET #1120 NO LONGER RESISTS. THE PLANS OF OFFENSE AS OUTLINED CONTINUE SMOOTHLY. THE ENEMY WEAKENS VISIBLY AND THE ULTIMATE ENDS IN VIEW WILL SURELY BE GAINED.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

"No price too high"

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

monkeytek posted:

CIG's model (as apparent as it can be currently) is around the sale of UEC. Everything in design, or on the way, supports users purchasing UEC for consumables on a monthly basis. Example: right now, CIG released designs for upgradeable ship components (not less than 3 categories, 4 subsets of each category, and 4 types of consumable per subset). With 48 different consumables possible for ship upgrade components and depending on how often they need to be changed/modified/replaced, people either have to keep up on missions or pirating to obtain UEC, or will resort directly to monthly purchases of UEC. And that is only one type of component in an early design stage. I see the reasoning for the complexity of ships and mechanics as allowing for multi-faceted ways to earn income without the need for a subscription-based model. While subs may still be available post launch, I don't think they'll necessarily be able to sustain costs in and of themselves.

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax
Please tell me if I understand door bugs in this game right:

The doors and hatches are normal collidable geometry. Each part of a door has it's own collider. These parts remain collidable while animating (a keyframed animation with no force limits; infinite strength).

The player's body is made up of colliders attached to bones. So, if the player's arm extends out, the colliders extend as well to envelop it. The player's animations are also keyframed, infinite strength, with no force/spring/muscle simulation.

So when a player is trying to crawl through, for example, a ship hatch:

-Their body collider(s) are animating arbitrarily according to how the player moves/aims gun/steps feet.

- Sometimes the player's collidable pose will actually exceed the space in which it has to fit in the hatch. These colliders are mashing up against (or into) the ship/hatch collider geometry.

-The door/hatch also has animations that will make door colliders mash up/into against the player's body colliders. Imagine if a ramp extended and presses down on a player's head while animating.

-The game tries to reconcile the interpenetrations by applying forces the the player and ship, but if the player is wedged a certain way, this is impossible.

- The player is hurled into space, clips through the door, into the ceiling, etc.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

CIG's model (as apparent as it can be currently) is around the sale of UEC. Everything in design, or on the way, supports users purchasing UEC for consumables on a monthly basis. Example: right now, CIG released designs for upgradeable ship components (not less than 3 categories, 4 subsets of each category, and 4 types of consumable per subset). With 48 different consumables possible for ship upgrade components and depending on how often they need to be changed/modified/replaced, people either have to keep up on missions or pirating to obtain UEC, or will resort directly to monthly purchases of UEC. And that is only one type of component in an early design stage. I see the reasoning for the complexity of ships and mechanics as allowing for multi-faceted ways to earn income without the need for a subscription-based model. While subs may still be available post launch, I don't think they'll necessarily be able to sustain costs in and of themselves.

lol, you thought about this more than Croberts

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/79m4r0/citizencon_2947_interview_with_chris_roberts/dp32d0d/?context=3

quote:

Q: What's the current plans of after-release monetization? Like, you said, you will only sell UEC after the release.

A - and also a game packages

Q - Yeah, so, do you really think that this will support game for a long time?

A: I dont know. Our plan, that you bought game package and that is the only you should pay. And we have a subscriptions, that allow us to make AtV's and stuff, and generally this is our plan, but we'll see how it goes.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Hav posted:

They say that they're going to rely on Amazon compute. They suggest that they might be able to produce enough microservices to spread out the load to utilize lambda. None of that makes much sense given the actual networking bandwidth they're going to need, as Amazon is effectively commercial compute which doesn't give a gently caress about your shooter latency.

There's also the linear extrapolation of everyone buying in when the game is released, which is always fun to hear. You know, the way that WoW kept up the linear expansion beyond 8 millon.

- MoonsDreams

How much bandwidth per client do you suppose is actually necessary if we're talking about refined serialized variables that now only transmit the deltas for each client instead of whole models like in the past (40-60 mb per ship down to less than 4-5mb)? Or, with zoning that was described as only exhibiting the physics, models, variables, etc for a particular zone in a particular instance as the client travels through? Are you saying that Amazon compute is incapable or that the requirements are so outlandish that it's not possible?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

MoMA, why won't you answer my question? Have you played, or witnessed (first hand) someone playing the starcitizen 3.0 build that has been tested by Evocati in the last month or so?

Please specify which one in your answer. A simple "yes" is not enough.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 30, 2017

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

I've had offline discussions with people about this.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

trucutru posted:

MoMA, why won't you answer my question. Have you played, or witnessed (first hand) someone playing the starcitizen 3.0 build that has been tested by Evocati in the last month or so?

Please specify which one in your answer. A simple "yes" is not enough.

Both - so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sooo... pay to win?