Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

His mom was tough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Does anyone know anything about the Elminage game releasing in a few hours?

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 28, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pablo Gigante posted:

His mom was tough

I wish we had the mom grieving about the kid than the other way around.

Also, Secret of Mana has a steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/637670/Secret_of_Mana/

$40, still no gameplay trailer although it does have the opening cinematic. I wish they had gone with a cel shaded art style, since I think it would fit the Mana world nicely. Or just port over Legend of Mana I guess?

Edit:
Co-op multiplayer - one of the main things we’ve been asked since we announced the remake is whether or not co-op would return, and I’m glad to announce that yes, it will! The Secret of Mana remake will let you play offline multiplayer co-op with up to two other players, so get your friends together!
Multiplayer update – we’re not just adding multiplayer, but actually improving it too – now when one player casts magic all other players will be able to continue playing, without having to wait.
The music – the Secret of Mana remake is going to come with a brand new rearranged soundtrack, but for those of you who loved the original (or just want a trip down memory lane) we’re going to include the soundtrack from the original game too, and most importantly, you’ll be able to switch between them whenever you like!
Interlude episodes – these are brand-new to the remake and show all-new scenes and interactions between Randi and the friends he meets on his adventure.
Game log – now you’ll be able to look back at Randi’s adventure to remind yourself of the story so far from the game log. If I don’t play a game for a few days I often forget what last happened, so I’m going to find this particularly useful and I hope you will too.
Achievements – if you want (and manage) to take on every challenge in Secret of Mana then you’ll probably want to be able to show off how well you’ve done, and now you’ll be able to!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

FanaticalMilk posted:

Port of a PSP game. Bare-bones Wizardry clone. There are enough good dungeon crawlers on Steam now that there’s really no need for this.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, Secret of Mana has a steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/637670/Secret_of_Mana/

$40, still no gameplay trailer although it does have the opening cinematic. I wish they had gone with a cel shaded art style, since I think it would fit the Mana world nicely. Or just port over Legend of Mana I guess?

The steam page has been there since near the announcement and there's been enough streams of gameplay on twitch to get a handle on it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/09/04/watch-secret-mana-footage-pax-west-2017/

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/09/23/secret-mana-remake-gets-single-player-multiplayer-gameplay-footage-tgs-2017/

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/10-minutes-secret-mana-remake-co-op-gameplay

GrandpaPants posted:

Multiplayer update – we’re not just adding multiplayer, but actually improving it too – now when one player casts magic all other players will be able to continue playing, without having to wait.

Pretty sure it still pauses when you go into the ring menu.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FanaticalMilk posted:

It is a Wizardry.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if the secret of mana remake actually fixes issues with the combat system then i am going to forbid poo poo-talking it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Getsuya posted:

There are enough good dungeon crawlers on Steam now that there’s really no need for this.

Can you name some?
I kinda wanted to play one but the only good one I know is Legend of Grimlock and I didn't like the real-time combat in that one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

if the secret of mana remake actually fixes issues with the combat system then i am going to forbid poo poo-talking it

I've been trying to parse whether or not they changed the attack queue but every person demoing it so far has just been mashing the attack button instead of waiting for their stamina to go back to 100% and I can't really tell.

At the very least it doesn't seem to eat attacks, and gives you a miss prompt when you miss instead of showing you nothing.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Can you name some?
I kinda wanted to play one but the only good one I know is Legend of Grimlock and I didn't like the real-time combat in that one.

Stranger of Sword City or Moero Chronicle if you can grit your teeth through all the fanservice. Or get the Might and Magic games on GoG.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Getsuya posted:

Moero Chronicle if you can grit your teeth through all the fanservice.

I suggest investing in a mouth guard if you're going this route, otherwise you'll destroy your chompers.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
personally i've mastered the art of apathy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Getsuya posted:

Stranger of Sword City or Moero Chronicle if you can grit your teeth through all the fanservice. Or get the Might and Magic games on GoG.

Judging by the screenshots on the steam store I'd probably end up gouging my eyes with rusty spoons 5 minutes into Moero Chronicle.

I'll check out Stranger of Sword City though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Moero Chronicle looks like a not good DRPG, regardless of the monstergirl stuff.

Operation Abyss/Babel, Starcrawlers, I kinda like Wiz8..

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think it's better than Gothic. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I played it on the PSP and really enjoyed it.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Can you name some?

Darkest Dungeon is a really good game if you can stand the aesthetic of it. It has an omnipresent narrator that really helps bring you into the atmosphere of the game but is relentlessly bleak and dark.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Going through my shelf I have some game called Exist Archive and I totally don't remember buying it please help

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dragonturtle posted:

Darkest Dungeon is a really good game if you can stand the aesthetic of it. It has an omnipresent narrator that really helps bring you into the atmosphere of the game but is relentlessly bleak and dark.

thats not a dungeon crawler

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

al-azad posted:

Going through my shelf I have some game called Exist Archive and I totally don't remember buying it please help

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Oh, I totally glanced over that part. Something like Vaporum would be nice for you if you want a first person dungeon crawler.

Crypt of the Necrodancer or Mordor: Depths of Dejenol would be a good bit if you want more rogue-likeish dungeon crawlers.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

Its a great game if you're having trouble falling asleep.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So I've repeatedly hear Exist Archive sucks but it's a straight up VP2 clone, right? I'm drawing a blank on how you gently caress up cloning the best JRPG on the PS2 that badly. Can anyone give me a rundown on what exactly sucked about it?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

So I've repeatedly hear Exist Archive sucks but it's a straight up VP2 clone, right? I'm drawing a blank on how you gently caress up cloning the best JRPG on the PS2 that badly. Can anyone give me a rundown on what exactly sucked about it?

The only thing it has in common with VP2 is the characters are mapped to the buttons, that's it. Otherwise the game is painfully slow.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Judging by the screenshots on the steam store I'd probably end up gouging my eyes with rusty spoons 5 minutes into Moero Chronicle.

I'll check out Stranger of Sword City though.

There's also the Operation Abyss/Babel games, Ray Gigant, and Mind Zero. I cant' really think of anything else besides the other Elminage game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think it was even made by a lot of the same team that made VP. I heard it’s not good regardless

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GrandpaPants posted:

The Secret of Mana remake will let you play offline multiplayer co-op with up to two other players, so get your friends together!

refunded over a month ago because of this thanks SE

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

cheetah7071 posted:

Imagine Valkyrie Profile with no heart. It was okay? It takes a while to get started and the story is not nearly as good as the VP vignettes.

It has the platforming dungeons and the combat of Valkyrie Profile 1, and has the bonus of the over the top voice acting. It's not bad for sub-$20.

It really shows how lightening in a bottle VP was, because it has 80+% of it's systems.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jack Trades posted:

Can you name some?

Starcrawler is a really good one in the genre and is entirely non-anime, for those allergic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tired Moritz posted:

SaGa games are bad and I wish people stop recommending them

SaGa and SaGa 2 are great games I will fite u.

SaGa Frontier was good too even though it was an unfinished mess. I'd love to see a remake completed version of it get released. Seeing Lute have an actual story, and getting to play through Fuse's story, would be cool.

SF2 was a mess though and the last battle for Gustav(?) was literally impossible to win if the enemy units moved before a certain turn and you didn't have your fodder setup in a way to ensure you'd delay them long enough once they did move on the latest turn possible. I guess Will's story was ok though. That he got stat gains after each time jump(?) was always welcome.

Getsuya posted:

They also locked Defense growth behind either wasting turns using a shield or using a single weapon only available late in the game. This puts it conceptually behind the original FF2 which at least leveled your defense/evasion through taking damage. I guess they figured that made it too easy?

I have never seen Defense increase in the Gameboy version of SaGa 2 by taking damage. In multiple playthroughs of the game I have only ever seen defense go up in fights where the character used a shield. You might be talking about the WS version because I am absolutely certain that FFL2 did not let you gain Defense from taking damage (and you definitely didn't gain agility that way).

Hell, I beat the game not knowing you could raise defense because I'd never seen it happen until a later playthrough.

The Colonel posted:

please report back on if the port will be worth buying for $5 in the 2020 winter steam sale

It's not. SO4 is real bad.

The Colonel posted:

it's not really the worst design i've ever seen but it's also not good and the only design i've really liked is the goofy jester-y robot

her design changes when you upgrade her though and i don't like it cause it just sort of makes her a mecha maid

I hope they call the upgraded version Mega Maid.

GrandpaPants posted:

Oh my loving god, finally. This was by far the worst part of playing this game with others on the SNES. Especially when you max leveled a spirit and could trigger their special animations since that paused the entire game while the animation played out. Fireball turning in to fire dragons was pretty rad though.

Phantasium posted:

Pretty sure it still pauses when you go into the ring menu.

Nooooo. :cry:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

SaGa and SaGa 2 are great games I will fite u.

SaGa Frontier was good too even though it was an unfinished mess. I'd love to see a remake completed version of it get released. Seeing Lute have an actual story, and getting to play through Fuse's story, would be cool.

SF2 was a mess though and the last battle for Gustav(?) was literally impossible to win if the enemy units moved before a certain turn and you didn't have your fodder setup in a way to ensure you'd delay them long enough once they did move on the latest turn possible. I guess Will's story was ok though. That he got stat gains after each time jump(?) was always welcome.

I have never seen Defense increase in the Gameboy version of SaGa 2 by taking damage. In multiple playthroughs of the game I have only ever seen defense go up in fights where the character used a shield. You might be talking about the WS version because I am absolutely certain that FFL2 did not let you gain Defense from taking damage (and you definitely didn't gain agility that way).

Hell, I beat the game not knowing you could raise defense because I'd never seen it happen until a later playthrough.

FF2 not FFL2.
Cuz yeah the GB Sagas and their remakes only let you level Defense with shields or the Defender sword.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Star Ocean 4 has a sole good character and the game ruins him

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

iirc it's valkyrie profile, but instead of characters attacking when you press their button, it queues up their attacks, completely killing the entire dynamic that made it interesting

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pablo Gigante posted:

So was The Last Story any good

It's well worth playing, yes.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The Last Story is a game about making a party of horrible rainbow monstrosities and also there was a plot and gameplay I suppose

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GrandpaPants posted:

Edit:
Co-op multiplayer - one of the main things we’ve been asked since we announced the remake is whether or not co-op would return, and I’m glad to announce that yes, it will! The Secret of Mana remake will let you play offline multiplayer co-op with up to two other players, so get your friends together!
The music – the Secret of Mana remake is going to come with a brand new rearranged soundtrack, but for those of you who loved the original (or just want a trip down memory lane) we’re going to include the soundtrack from the original game too, and most importantly, you’ll be able to switch between them whenever you like!
Interlude episodes – these are brand-new to the remake and show all-new scenes and interactions between Randi and the friends he meets on his adventure.
Game log – now you’ll be able to look back at Randi’s adventure to remind yourself of the story so far from the game log. If I don’t play a game for a few days I often forget what last happened, so I’m going to find this particularly useful and I hope you will too.
Achievements – if you want (and manage) to take on every challenge in Secret of Mana then you’ll probably want to be able to show off how well you’ve done, and now you’ll be able to!

I’m unclear on if this means ONLY local coop for multiplayer or ALSO local coop. I could read it either way :ohdear:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

iirc it's valkyrie profile, but instead of characters attacking when you press their button, it queues up their attacks, completely killing the entire dynamic that made it interesting

It's so baffling that they did that, since it completely ruins it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m unclear on if this means ONLY local coop for multiplayer or ALSO local coop. I could read it either way :ohdear:

It's only, there is no online play.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Last Story had online versus multiplayer which was weird and made me mad I could only play as Zael in Single Player.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Phantasium posted:

It's so baffling that they did that, since it completely ruins it.

It's only, there is no online play.

God drat it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Last Story had online versus multiplayer which was weird and made me mad I could only play as Zael in Single Player.

no you can play as yurick at one part in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Getsuya posted:

FF2 not FFL2.
Cuz yeah the GB Sagas and their remakes only let you level Defense with shields or the Defender sword.

Oh, whoops.

Yeah FF2's system was all hosed up. The stat gains in the iOS version isn't too terrible, but it's still bad.

And thanks to enemy melee drain being 1/16th(?) your max HP per hit (meaning a 16hit attack would always kill you from full hp), the higher HP can work against you when the final boss decides to melee Guy and keeps healing for a few thousand HP per round, forcing you to do the same to him with the blood sword.