Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Your Taint posted:

Seriously? I thought that was a federal law.

That's seriously hosed up.

It's also totally okay to tell your employees that if Obama wins, you'll have no choice but to lay off thousands of workers. Because if they don't like it, they can just work somewhere else!

E: Mayor Dog

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

Memnaelar posted:

I read the article. Maybe I should tell you to ummm again read my post.

I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm just saying he's more than happy to change how the senate works when it suits him, as per his decision to stall Merrick Garland out for a year.

And there's nothing to indicate that he has the will (nevermind the authority) to change how the senate swears in a new member. You're being hysterical over a Rachel Maddow tweet.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Grinch has taken on a human form I see. Can we have a "burn Paul Ryan in effigy" day like other countries have with unpopular people? Seems like fun.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

boner confessor posted:

anyone who drinks alcoholic beverages for the taste is a high functioning alcoholic

and yet still morally superior to bud light drinkers

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeah, we already went over it either this morning or yesterday, but Alabama can easily, and legally stall for a while if Jones wins. First, each county has until Friday of next week to send in final election day numbers. If the turtle needs time, at least 1 red county is going to wait till the last day. After that, if the GOP still needs more time to rape the poors in the Senate, then the AL SoS has 10 days after all counties report in before they have to certify the election.

That should be plenty of time for the GOP to be evil if they have the votes with Strange. After that though, once Jones has a certificate of election, he can fly up to DC and the turtle can't stop him from replacing Strange.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Xae posted:

I was kind of taken back when a couple of buddies said they drank 4-5 beers a day.

I'm wondering if the current beer Bonanza is going to end up spiking alcoholism rates. Or if it just made it socially acceptable to be a high functioning alcoholic.

The only thing that's gonna spike alcoholism is if we get serious on opiates imo.

Here's a fun chart http://digg.com/2017/history-of-american-alcohol-consumption

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Your Taint posted:

I said people shouldn't loot and apparently I'm a Klan member or something now. Whatever.

Read this article and shut the gently caress up on this subject forever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
In Mexico elections are always on a Sunday, and they will not sell alcohol that weekend. Also the ballots are open from the crack of dawn until the last voter shuffles out of the polling place.
You do need to get a voting ID but it's very much like a driver's license that you can get the second you turn 18 and essentially lasts forever (I've had mine for over 12 years now)
It's all you need to show to be able to vote and in my experience nobody gives you guff about it

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/940646968736481281

Get corked, fucker.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

Yeah, we already went over it either this morning or yesterday, but Alabama can easily, and legally stall for a while if Jones wins. First, each county has until Friday of next week to send in final election day numbers. If the turtle needs time, at least 1 red county is going to wait till the last day. After that, if the GOP still needs more time to rape the poors in the Senate, then the AL SoS has 10 days after all counties report in before they have to certify the election.

That should be plenty of time for the GOP to be evil if they have the votes with Strange. After that though, once Jones has a certificate of election, he can fly up to DC and the turtle can't stop him from replacing Strange.

That said, there is nothing that stops Democrats from pounding the table about the subversion of democracy and they absolutely should, if Jones wins.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

mistaya posted:

Women are fully capable of perpetuating the misogynistic culture they have been raised in and been taught to accept as normal since before they could walk.

Like seriously there's a reason it's so goddamn prevalent. It's not like it's JUST men insisting women are irrational. My boss is a woman and constantly tells me she wishes her team was all men because "they don't gossip like women do"

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

mistaya posted:

Women are fully capable of perpetuating the misogynistic culture they have been raised in and been taught to accept as normal since before they could walk.

Help me explain the argument to her: wondering what the family life of someone with a hosed up personality is like is sexist because _______?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

I think that's kind of funny, actually.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ripoff posted:

Showing up drunk and full of drugs would make you the ideal juror, and being that you’re smart enough to spell and use grammar correctly, you’re probably the best chance some public defender has at actually convincing someone that a defendant isn’t immediately guilty.

In short: bust out the whisky and weed, motherfucker.

Counterpoint: I have to report at eight, and will likely have to watch a PSA about SIDS and at least one terrible romantic comedy while sitting on hard plastic under florescent lighting, which sounds like it would be even more terrible with a hangover. Way ahead of you on the weed, though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

mistaya posted:

You can't explain this poo poo to a critic. Nothing is ever good enough for them.

Sexism doesn't exist, or if it does, it's only poo poo like "make me a sammich, bitch," and the goal posts will forever be moved over there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mango sentinel posted:

The only thing that's gonna spike alcoholism is if we get serious on opiates imo.

Here's a fun chart http://digg.com/2017/history-of-american-alcohol-consumption

I'm not totally certain that graph supports your thesis, never mind is sufficient for it.

Not that it would necessarily shock me if opiates and alcohol are substitute goods, especially since I really hope they're not complementary goods. We have fairly solid evidence, getting solider with legalization, that marijuana and alcohol are very substitutive or whatever the adjective form of that fucker is.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Classtoise posted:

I still don't get why WE don't have compulsory voting.

I mean I get WHY we don't. I mean, I don't get why it's never even mentioned. I'm pretty sure even hardcore Republican voters will take "you can mail in, go on Saturday, or whatever instead of having to miss out on a Tuesday at work."

If you REALLY need to convince them, just tack on "Like the Lazy Millenials/Liberals all want, am I right?"

The republicans depend a lot on democrat supporters not voting to win elections.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

ig55 posted:

And there's nothing to indicate that he has the will (nevermind the authority) to change how the senate swears in a new member. You're being hysterical over a Rachel Maddow tweet.

Hysterical? Get bent. At most, I'm being snarky.

You, on the other hand, are picking nits for the sheer pleasure of it.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

boner confessor posted:

anyone who drinks alcoholic beverages for the taste is a high functioning alcoholic

gently caress.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN/status/940704581742419969

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BUH HUH HUH YOU'RE JUST SO loving EDGY! LOOK OUT, EDGELORDS, YOUR KING HAS ARRIVED!

God, conservative humor blows.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Katt posted:

Cat post for all the snipes that failed to provide.

All Nazis should visit the Maul of America.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

evilweasel posted:

That said, there is nothing that stops Democrats from pounding the table about the subversion of democracy and they absolutely should, if Jones wins.

That's not a subversion of democracy; that's the loving bankrupt way our democratic system works. Blaming the GOP for hypothetically delaying a hypothetical swearing in of hypothetical winner Dougie Jone sounds like a cop out for Democrat's consistently running terrible candidates with weak rear end messaging. Nevermind that one defection wouldn't prevent the clusterfuck tax bill from passing.

How about instead of pounding the table against perceived slights Democrats run on an actual liberal agenda like say single payer?

Everyones Favorite Poster fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 12, 2017

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
'Twas the night before Taxmas, when all through the House (and Senate),
All the members were stirring, in tax policy doused;
The opening statements were drafted eloquently with care,
In hopes that the conference committee would soon be there;

Hardworking Americans were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of bigger paychecks danced in their heads;
Following 41 committee hearings, member listening sessions, and legislation passed,
The time for tax reform is now, public support amassed.

The nation's capital on the breast of a new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of a fresh start to friends and exaggerated foes
Then to our wondering eyes should appear,
A comprehensive tax overhaul by the end of the year.

When there on the 1986 tax code, there arose such a clatter,
Many sprang from their desks to see what was the matter.
Away to their employers they flew like a flash,
Hoping they'd soon go home with $1,182 more in cash.

Now, Brady! Now, Nunes! Now, Roskam, Noem and Black!
On, Bishop! On, Young! On Upton and Shinkus-- and the senators, the whole pack!
To HC-5! To the conference committee meeting! To the congressional hall!
Now negotiate away! Not for one American, but all!

So tomorrow at 2 p.m, speaker.gov/live, tune in,
For the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act conference meeting, lve-streamed from within;
When we'll hear them exclaim, the representatives and senators fighting this fight:
"More jobs, fairer taxes and bigger paychecks to all, and to all a good night!"

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
We're doing it again you guys :(

https://twitter.com/tarafdavis/status/940700362025132033

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CoasterMaster posted:

I live in WA and I can confirm that mail-in voting is awesome. I get the ballot in the mail a few weeks before the election, fill it out at home, then mail that sucker back. I can even track my ballot online.

Only downside is that I don't get one of those 'I Voted!' stickers, but I'll live.

Here you go

Bonus: you can wear like 9 and tell people that's how many times you voted.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Came to post this. That people actually think this in our country still amazes me.

How does he think the JYEWWS in public office swear their oaths?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I thought the new stations had stopped airing exit polls before the polls closed after 2000?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

4 replies, 1 retweet. Getting ratio'd even when nobody knows you or gives a gently caress what you have to say.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

NBC Alabama exits:

Voters believe allegations: 49-45
Voters approve of Trump: 48-48
Abortion should be illegal: 54-40

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sorus posted:

gently caress.

I mean, coffee with bourbon and kona liqueur > coffee without, though. I don't make the rules of what tastes better I just follow them.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah, we really shouldn't try to get Roy Moore voters to vote for Doug Jones. It's immoral.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

LividLiquid posted:

"make me a sammich, bitch,"

Thats pretty rude. When someone makes me a yummy sammich, male or female, I am very thankful and keep a little score in my head that I now owe them a minor act of kindness.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

canepazzo posted:

NBC Alabama exits:

Voters believe allegations: 49-45
Voters approve of Trump: 48-48

This could mean anything...

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

canepazzo posted:

gently caress.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Why would we try and get Republicans to vote for Jones?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

canepazzo posted:

DId someone see some exit polls with a result they don't care for? Or just hedging their bets?

No one has any idea what the vote is going to be. There's no LV screen and the MoE on polling is around +/- 12. Everyone is totally blind going into this.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Just quoting this again, because it's goddamned hilarious.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

4 replies, 1 retweet. Getting ratio'd even when nobody knows you or gives a gently caress what you have to say.

Following #alsen is a wild ride. Full on conspiracy nuts everywhere. I don't know how people actually do twitter on a regular basis.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:laffo: :gonk:

this is sort of glorious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

Hysterical? Get bent. At most, I'm being snarky.

You, on the other hand, are picking nits for the sheer pleasure of it.

So far as I can tell, the Supreme Court precedent set by Powell v McCormack means that Congress can only choose not to seat members if they are ineligible due to age, citizenship or residency requirements. Once they're seated, they can be expelled, but that requires a 2/3 vote. It's more than just tradition that would prevent McConnell from refusing to seat Jones (or Moore, for that matter).

• Locked thread