Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

unseenlibrarian posted:

At least you'll be hopefully be able to commodify the Amazon Gear.

And old fanfest gear and any special weeb outfits you buy from the Mogstation.

e: and wedding dresses!

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Aww you don't get a second chance on which bear you get. That's kind of weird you couldn't try the different ones out first.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I was trying to figure out why in the hell S-E named the glamour log after what my mom calls toilets, so I looked it up:

2. a chest of drawers or chiffonier of a decorative type popular in the 18th century.

mid 18th century (sense 2): from French, literally‘convenient, suitable,’ from Latin commodus .

What a roundabout way to preemptively say "you're welcome, fuckers." I love this game.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Aww you don't get a second chance on which bear you get. That's kind of weird you couldn't try the different ones out first.

You can only ride the bear that is size appropriate for your character. If you try too big or too small, it just does a Goldilocks bit.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SonicRulez posted:

You can only ride the bear that is size appropriate for your character. If you try too big or too small, it just does a Goldilocks bit.

Hah I just happened to pick the one that was 'just right'. The localization team did good this event. No surprise of course.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So disappointed that the Four Lords isn't going to be the FF4 Fiends.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sade posted:

I was trying to figure out why in the hell S-E named the glamour log after what my mom calls toilets, so I looked it up:

2. a chest of drawers or chiffonier of a decorative type popular in the 18th century.

mid 18th century (sense 2): from French, literally‘convenient, suitable,’ from Latin commodus .

What a roundabout way to preemptively say "you're welcome, fuckers." I love this game.

A commode is a chair with a hole in it so you can poo poo in it.

They named it after something you put all your old poo poo in.
because you're going to put your poo poo in it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It has been ever since Enochian was implemented and it will be until it's removed. Even though it's difficult to lose it now, it's still an entirely un-enjoyable burden of a mechanic.

Bad player detected.

Chucat posted:

I've played Black Mage since this game came out. It's almost like that I enjoy the class I play and want it to be good instead of it being a loving millstone.

Yeah I love playing black mage but what I also love is opening up the party finder, mousing over the caster DPS slot in someone's party, and not seeing that it's been set to RDM/SMN.

Black mage just needs substantially more damage. Ideally, that damage boost would be tied to spending umbral hearts, so that Blizz4 is a real dps gain rather than insurance against bad mana ticks.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 15, 2017

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I was on a hiatus for a few months after the last major patch and just came back to level Red Mage and poo poo and it's been real fun. I never got a house during the patch release rush so I wasted invested my money elsewhere.

Elsewhere being a shiny Rapier of the Fiend for like 7.5m.

I think it was well worth it. I'm prime grade Castlevania villain now.

I have no idea what you're wearing but I need it so please tell me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Bad player detected.

Very bad.
Yet it doesn't change that Black Mage is an atrocious design.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I have no idea what you're wearing but I need it so please tell me.

Headgear: Scion Rogue Bandana (Thancred's eyepatch, gotten during SB story)
Chestpiece: Plague Bringer's Coat (Arboretum/Pharos Hard)
Pants/Gloves/Shoes: Shire Gear (Idyllshire Poetics)
Rapier: Rapier of the Fiend (Crafted Sephirot Weapon)

I had snagged the chestpiece ages ago because it looked suitably fancy for Red Mage and it just so happened to match the shire gear pretty much perfectly. I threw in the eyepatch most recently to get more of that villain vibe going.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I have fun with BLM, am I doing it wrong? Like, I feel like if I was really good at it I would know something was a fault of the class and not my making GBS threads playing.

I know BLM isn't for now top dog dps like it used to be, and it would be cool if we got that back, but words like dumpster fire and atrocious seem kinda eh?

E: It would be really nice if we had more than a second to transpose to keep enochian up

KoB
May 1, 2009
I dont think it was mentioned here, but according to reddit it didnt appear on the slides but was clarified in Japanese:

You can pull items back out of the glamour bathroom commode.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Very bad.
Yet it doesn't change that Black Mage is an atrocious design.

Black Mage is an excellent design, but you lack the skill to evaluate it correctly.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I have fun with BLM, am I doing it wrong? Like, I feel like if I was really good at it I would know something was a fault of the class and not my making GBS threads playing.

I know BLM isn't for now top dog dps like it used to be, and it would be cool if we got that back, but words like dumpster fire and atrocious seem kinda eh?

E: It would be really nice if we had more than a second to transpose to keep enochian up

Transpose's cooldown used to be 10 seconds, which made playing low level black mage much better since you'd spend a GCD less on average in umbral mode. When they pushed astral/umbral to 12s to make HW black mage easier to play, they also increased transpose's cooldown to 12 so that it wasn't possible to use transpose to keep astral/umbral up forever. Now they don't care if you do that, which is why astral/umbral are 13 and transpose is 12... but transpose should really go back to 10 so that the juggle is less annoying and so that low level black mage gets to do as much damage as it did back in ARR.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
BLM kind of lost is credibility because (I think) it never got a single Coil clear. If it did, it took awhile. There were actually a few classes under-represented in Coil, but BLM was the extreme. It also came at a time when SMN got a major buff. So BLMs are left with the reality that SMNs can do everything they can do but better, and are also more mobile, and also have a rez.

What I suspect will happen is Transpose cooldown will go to 10 seconds and they'll up some potencies or reduce some cast times and call it a day. If you're lucky, it'll be on the level of what AST got by 3.4.

I personally dislike this solution quite a bit. It's true that no job in FFXIV is really a dumpster fire, and I guess that's better than other MMOs. Still, I kind of wish they'd spend more time with class balance especially with respect to how they imagine a group will be built. As it stands, they have a hard time balancing jobs that are pure personal DPS only against jobs that have decent personal DPS and contribute to raid DPS. We've had NIN/DRG/BRD or MCH so strong for so long that it feels like whenever some other DPS gets a substantial overhaul, all that really means is they get that one spare DPS slot. I'd really like them to do something about that. I do realize that this is more of a savage/speed run issue, but I think that effect all trickles down.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Black Mage is an excellent design, but you lack the skill to evaluate it correctly.

SeymourSkinner.jpg

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The first day you showed up to black mage class and saw your trainers were like 4 or 5 or however many potatoes if you didn't immediately peace the gently caress out you deserve what you get.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
make all the BLM spells have a .5 second cast time, so they still have to stop to cast but can pop out massive damage

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
blm would be fine if they did smn-level damage and also if smn didn't exist

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also if enochian was the problem they'd have been in the dumpster in 3.x too and that wasn't really true

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reiterpallasch posted:

also if enochian was the problem they'd have been in the dumpster in 3.x too and that wasn't really true

hello gauss barrel here

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hello blood of the dragon here

etc etc

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Gauss Barrel is worse than Enochian or BOTD because it makes so many guns look incredibly dumb and you can't turn off the looks for anyone but yourself.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

hello gauss barrel here

MCH ranged from kinda to stupendously overpowered for the entirety of Heavensward; you somehow managed to pick the worst possible example for your case.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reiterpallasch posted:

MCH ranged from kinda to stupendously overpowered for the entirety of Heavensward; you somehow managed to pick the worst possible example for your case.

Damage is not the point of contention.
Sticking to legacy mechanics that make a class play worse than it needs to.

Gauss Barrel is the peak example.

There is no reason for it to exist in the game anymore, much like Enochian.

bake their effects into the class as passives and be done with it

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 15, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dragoons have always sucked rear end.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kashuno posted:

Dragoons have always sucked rear end.

actually they've always ruled

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

actually they've always ruled

ruled at laying on the ground yeah

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
look every mmo needs a class for masochists, they're a very important demographic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my ideal dragoon in 5.0 would have the weird interlaced combos of 2.x, the BotD balancing act from 3.x, the high-risk low-reward nonsense of LotD, and gently caress it let's go with high animation lock jumps again

e: oh and dragon sight is always-on but breaks permanently if you go too far for more than a few seconds

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 15, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

look every mmo needs a class for masochists, they're a very important demographic

MMOs are games for masochists yes

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Damage is not the point of contention.
Sticking to legacy mechanics that make a class play worse than it needs to.

Gauss Barrel is the peak example.

There is no reason for it to exist in the game anymore, much like Enochian.

bake their effects into the class as passives and be done with it

gauss barrel and wanderer's minuet do the same thing

gauss barrel was fine

wanderer's minuet was bad

if you don't understand how all three of those claims can be true simultaneously, you should probably stop talking about whether dps mechanics should or shouldn't exist

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wow look at Riker arguing with himself

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Looking forward to all this new stuff.

Glamour Commode is a great start to a better glamour system and it's gonna free up *so much* inventory room for a lot of players that participate in the True Endgame.

Chocobo saddlebag has the rumblings of FFXI's silly inventory system expansions with its myriad 80-slot bags, boxes, sacks, etc. but I realize why they're doing it. It's a good way to offer more inventory slots for players without overburdening the backend. It's perfect for holding onto things like old gear tokens, fishing bait, and other things you almost never touch but don't want to discard.

And how about all that stuff that might end up in 4.3? Things like cross-world linkshells/FCs, and the companion app update (inventory management, FC chat, and market board access outside the game). It's a pretty cool time to be playing this game.

SKULL.GIF posted:

So disappointed that the Four Lords isn't going to be the FF4 Fiends.

If I'm reading this right, the first trial is Byakko, which means it could be a callback to the sky gods from FFXI, or they're simply using the popular Four Gods trope without any particular FF references.

Maybe Sigmascape will be FF4! :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DizzyBum posted:

If I'm reading this right, the first trial is Byakko, which means it could be a callback to the sky gods from FFXI, or they're simply using the popular Four Gods trope without any particular FF references.

Byakko? Maybe next Omega is Final Fantasy Legend.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Sigmascape is obviously a crossover event with Megaman to celebrate the upcoming MM11, enjoy fighting Sigma.

Every form of Sigma, 3-4 forms per turn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Byakko? Maybe next Omega is Final Fantasy Legend.

Byakko is the next trial (it looks like the Warring Triad is being replaced by the four directional gods.)

Sigma is still unclarified.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Looking forward to all this new stuff.

Glamour Commode is a great start to a better glamour system and it's gonna free up *so much* inventory room for a lot of players that participate in the True Endgame.

Chocobo saddlebag has the rumblings of FFXI's silly inventory system expansions with its myriad 80-slot bags, boxes, sacks, etc. but I realize why they're doing it. It's a good way to offer more inventory slots for players without overburdening the backend. It's perfect for holding onto things like old gear tokens, fishing bait, and other things you almost never touch but don't want to discard.

And how about all that stuff that might end up in 4.3? Things like cross-world linkshells/FCs, and the companion app update (inventory management, FC chat, and market board access outside the game). It's a pretty cool time to be playing this game.

Will they fix their garbage network/netcode in 4.3? I love getting lag spikes in only this game and every other game is fine.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Axle_Stukov posted:

Sigmascape is obviously a crossover event with Megaman to celebrate the upcoming MM11, enjoy fighting Sigma.

Every form of Sigma, 3-4 forms per turn.

As long as X4 Sigma still has the exact same voice and lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Omega, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta. 5 letters. FFV.

Omega, Psi, Chi, Phi, Upsilon, Tau, Sigma. 7 letters. Sigmascape confirmed for FFVII.