Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Beaten. Nothing to see here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That Old Tree posted:

Also, this is cool:

Those poor bastards. Aren't nazi prison camps bad enough without having to play monopoly?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That Old Tree posted:

:shrug:

Also, this is cool:

They sure don't go after everyone that makes them. I've seen a ton of Monopoly knockoffs in gift shops.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mors Rattus posted:

They sure don't go after everyone that makes them. I've seen a ton of Monopoly knockoffs in gift shops.

Sure, hence :shrug:

I mean, that loving game should've entered public domain like half a century ago, at least, so whatever. Not to mention how all these corporations love to stomp all over parody and fair use.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

There are definitely success stories, but it's like looking at JK Rowling and saying "Woah, writers make bank". Except the Kingdom Death guy is the JK Rowling of boardgame kickstarters and his profits must be in the single digit millions at best.

And people do that sort of thing all the time. I never said it was a sensible takeaway, after all. Just common in its ignorance.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Chill la Chill posted:

Those poor bastards. Aren't nazi prison camps bad enough without having to play monopoly?

When all you can do is play Monopoly, you have that much extra motivation to escape.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm sure we've been over this before:
"Monopoly" is a trademark. It's protected as long as the company that owns that trademark keeps it active with the USPTO.

Game rules are not copyrightable. Your game mechanics are, in theory, patentable, which Richard Garfield did with Magic, and which according to the quoted article, Elizabeth Magie did. Patents don't last as long as copyright and her patents are surely expired by now.

You can make a Monopoly-like game by cloning the mechanics of the rules (re-write them in your own words) and putting any non-trademarked title on the box. As long as you don't reproduce the art, or any flavor text, you're OK. Where you get in trouble is using a name or design that could create confusion as to whether or not the holder of a trademark produced the product. So giving it a name like "Ghettopoly" opens you up to lawsuit because someone buying that game might reasonably believe that it's made by the makers of Monopoly.

But if you name the game "Horse Cheese" or something, and don't use trademarked logos or schemes that imply it's made by Hasbro, you're legally in the clear.

Which does not by any means imply you won't be sued. After spending many thousands of dollars and probably a couple of years fighting it, you should prevail in court; but companies know full well that they can easily prevail where they have no real legal standing in most cases without having to go to court, because merely the threat of a lawsuit is more than the little guy can stand up against.

This is, ironically, an example of how monopoly power is wielded: irrespective of theoretical legal rights and protections, the 500lb gorilla has all manner of tools available to kill potential competition in the crib.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My example of Animal-opoly was not random.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Randomly got my Alas Vegas softcover today, forgot I'd pledged for a book.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'm guessing probably most of those themed Monopolies are produced under an agreement with Hasbro. If not actually by Hasbro.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

malkav11 posted:

I'm guessing probably most of those themed Monopolies are produced under an agreement with Hasbro. If not actually by Hasbro.

They do in fact license out to create dozens of variants, because we are a trash culture.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Idea guys are in every industry/hobby/etc. But most things have a higher barrier to entry. Videogames require coding, your great idea for a perpetual motion machine requires rigging something together that at least moves on its own, and your new groundbreaking business requires a storefront or a bunch of paperwork.

If you're a boardgame ideas guy you have to know how to cut up and scribble on cardboard. Boom I just prototyped the next great tabletop game about fighting dragons with seven types of dice.

why would you need seven types of dice? you can kill most anything with a d4

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there any specific reason the Heavy Gear Kickstarter is going backwards?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is there any specific reason the Heavy Gear Kickstarter is going backwards?

That sucks, Heavy Gear is a really cool setting and game. But after the first Kickstarter I had more stuff than I could possibly ever play with, so I am probably going to skip this one.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Leperflesh posted:

Game rules are not copyrightable.

The mechanics themselves are not copyrightable; as you noted, they must be patented. The text of the rules, however, is; if I made a Monopoly knockoff that avoided any trademark issues I'd still run afoul of copyright if I used the exact same wording as the Monopoly rule book (assuming that hasn't fallen into the public domain; it's post Steamboat Willie so it probably hasn't, but the text of The Landlord's Game may have). That's generally easy to get around, since the same mechanics can be described in many different ways, so this is just me being pedantic, but game rules have the same copyright protection as any other original text.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lord_Hambrose posted:

That sucks, Heavy Gear is a really cool setting and game. But after the first Kickstarter I had more stuff than I could possibly ever play with, so I am probably going to skip this one.

They canceled it today, sounds like they plan to try again in a few months when it isn't Xmas

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone read through the rules for that museum set collection kickstarter game? It now $100 if you want all the expansion with it.

TheBandersnatch
Nov 13, 2011
Any thoughts on the Wilson Wolfe Affair kickstarter? It looks amazing, but the lack of info on creator backgrounds/lack of history makes me nervous.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Sefer posted:

The mechanics themselves are not copyrightable; as you noted, they must be patented. The text of the rules, however, is; if I made a Monopoly knockoff that avoided any trademark issues I'd still run afoul of copyright if I used the exact same wording as the Monopoly rule book (assuming that hasn't fallen into the public domain; it's post Steamboat Willie so it probably hasn't, but the text of The Landlord's Game may have). That's generally easy to get around, since the same mechanics can be described in many different ways, so this is just me being pedantic, but game rules have the same copyright protection as any other original text.

maybe if you read his full post youd have noticed he said all that?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I backed Sunset Over Water because I'm pretty sure I can get Mom to play it, it was pretty, had a single player game, was from an established designer, and was dead gorgeous. They just posted an unboxing video for the first print samples. Loooooking goooood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omFTlEfvU7s

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

I backed Sunset Over Water because I'm pretty sure I can get Mom to play it, it was pretty, had a single player game, was from an established designer, and was dead gorgeous. They just posted an unboxing video for the first print samples. Loooooking goooood.

I backed it at a dollar because I meant to up it but then I forgot. So I'm getting all those updates too but no game. :smith:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mllaneza posted:

Is there a way to order that if you missed the KS? It looks fantastic.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a way to order that if you missed the KS? It looks fantastic.

These guys are pretty quick and organized so you should be able to buy a copy by the middle of next year.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Core Space is in its home stretch, got a whole bunch of stretch goals & add-ons unlocked (there's even an Early Bird pledge going right now - I guess someone upgraded).

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Tempting just for the scenery.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Ugh. Always 28 or 32, never 1/72.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sefer posted:

Actually...

I didn't want to get into the weeds, but...

quote:

102(b) In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work.
https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html

Arguably, a rules text which contains no literary content, which is just a description of a procedure or process or system - like game rules - are not protected by copyright at all. The intent is that you can't get away with preventing the dissemination of a non-patented idea simply by claiming copyright.

I do not offhand know the extent to which this restriction has been tested in games. I suspect it's come up before, and probably most people reproducing a game system take the time to re-write the rules just to avoid the appearance of potentially violating a copyright... but if the rules text really has no literary content, those people would prevail in court if they simply copied the rules word-for-word.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Actually...

I didn't want to get into the weeds, but...

https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html

Arguably, a rules text which contains no literary content, which is just a description of a procedure or process or system - like game rules - are not protected by copyright at all. The intent is that you can't get away with preventing the dissemination of a non-patented idea simply by claiming copyright.

I do not offhand know the extent to which this restriction has been tested in games. I suspect it's come up before, and probably most people reproducing a game system take the time to re-write the rules just to avoid the appearance of potentially violating a copyright... but if the rules text really has no literary content, those people would prevail in court if they simply copied the rules word-for-word.

This kind of thing is reminding me that I work for a bunch of patent/copyright lawyers, and should look into this kind of thing as I'm halfheartedly working on my own game.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cassa posted:

Tempting just for the scenery.

There's a scenery-only pledge if that's what you want.

Edit: Also, Dice Bag Lady's doing a Shieldmaiden Army kickstarter in 2018!

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 16, 2017

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Yvonmukluk posted:

Core Space is in its home stretch, got a whole bunch of stretch goals & add-ons unlocked (there's even an Early Bird pledge going right now - I guess someone upgraded).

This is a pretty good KS right now. Hoping we can make it to a few more stretch goals as there are a few more big things down the line there. I have pledge their previous Sci-fi terrain set and its great.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pash posted:

This is a pretty good KS right now. Hoping we can make it to a few more stretch goals as there are a few more big things down the line there. I have pledge their previous Sci-fi terrain set and its great.

We seem to have managed it! All stretch goals unlocked (unless they throw in some at the 11th hour)!

1 hour left, and there's a few Early Bird openings from people upgrading at the last minute.

If you want in, go for it!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I received my copy of Alas, Vegas today, and read an update saying that print proofs are being reviewed for the third Chuubo's book -- so I can scratch one off my list of wayward Kickstarters, and I'm closer to scratching a second. After that, I've only got Guide to the Village by the Sea and The Queen's Cavaliers in the "still probably getting released someday" pile, and a couple of things that are just dead (Rosemont Bay, mainly).

Ah, well, it's not so bad. My track record with video game Kickstarters has been much, much worse.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Did anyone here back or have opinions about Battle For Biternia? MOBAs are super-popular in my circle of friends, but I'm not sure how well a board game version would go over.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Agent Rush posted:

Did anyone here back or have opinions about Battle For Biternia? MOBAs are super-popular in my circle of friends, but I'm not sure how well a board game version would go over.

No idea for sure, but I'd much rather play a tabletop MOBA than an online one. I believe this is their second go at it with this game. Also it's got a BattleCON character in it so I'll probably buy it for that reason because I'm a dummy.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

S.J. posted:

No idea for sure, but I'd much rather play a tabletop MOBA than an online one. I believe this is their second go at it with this game. Also it's got a BattleCON character in it so I'll probably buy it for that reason because I'm a dummy.

For tabletop MOBA's, I was really looking forward to LOAD and the reboot kickstarter, but it was only good for the minis.

Battle for Biternia seemed really cool, but I felt rather split on the pixel art. The standees didn't really help for me.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
What are the last 5 or so euro games that you were impressed with on kickstarter in the past year or so? I'm looking for some examples to see what they did and reviewers they used, and all I can think of for some reason is Clans of Caledonia.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Do you mean released in the past year or had their campaign?

For the latter, Brass had a very successful campaign.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Agent Rush posted:

Looks good, it has Level99 support. Rules are free on the site and they have a print and play. As someone mentioned, if you dig the art it should be good. It's lighter than an online MOBA, which is a good thing IMO.

I picked up the name the gorgon tier because I am stupid. The gorgon will be named Sedusa after the Power Puff Girls episode that was basically The Big Lebowski.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Got my limited edition signed Alas Vegas hardcover and discount third edition copy of Baron Munchausen. It's finally over! (And to be clear, it's rad and while the wait was not ideal I have no complaints about the result.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

LordAba posted:

Looks good, it has Level99 support. Rules are free on the site and they have a print and play. As someone mentioned, if you dig the art it should be good. It's lighter than an online MOBA, which is a good thing IMO.

I picked up the name the gorgon tier because I am stupid. The gorgon will be named Sedusa after the Power Puff Girls episode that was basically The Big Lebowski.

That was a fantastic choice.