Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ive gotten synced odin by queueing twice and one time was even instant
he kind of falls apart now b/c of high item level sync & DHit replacing accuracy means a DPS check fight is a lot more lenient now

good title for gonking him tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Or you can join a group in party finder if it appears there and the group leader will unsync it for you (it's in duty settings, in a window with all duties click on the wheel in the corner and tick undersized party, btw), people run it quite often (mostly on tuesday).

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Lord of Pie posted:

Because of the stances, you don't have to use timers. So basically you throw your combo moves into the macro backwards and it uses the first one that is available to whatever stance you're in

E:. I'll post a macro when I get home

That's not what makes combat macros terrible in ffxiv. When you use a skill from the hotbar, it queues it on the server's side to be used immediately after your global cooldown lets you use a new skill, which means you can activate your next skill or spell half a second to a second before your GCD wears off. When you activate a skill through a macro, it doesn't queue your skills. This results in a pretty bad delay in using any skill that will vary based on your ping and how fast you mash your macro. For monks, this issue would be even worse, because greased lightening gives them a shorter GCD than other classes.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

If you macro your combos you're worse than redditors

Please don't make us take you out back like old yeller

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
, said the man with like negative eight million karma for posting like this on reddit too

Speaking of reddit, apparently there's a fair bit of drama going on because the FF14 server just trusts the client when it says "trust me, I got a 100% proc rate for Ruin IV, I'm just getting really lucky this pull." Some FC got caught out uploading parses with more Ruin IV casts than Further Ruin instances.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Reiterpallasch posted:

, said the man with like negative eight million karma for posting like this on reddit too

Badge of honor.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I guess, yeah.

Meanwhile, is it common for the queue for fighting Odin to take forever, because I have been sitting in the duty finder for a goddamned hour.

You will never manage to get a party for Urth's Fount through Duty Finder. Ever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You will never manage to get a party for Urth's Fount through Duty Finder. Ever.

I did pretty often. Admittedly, that was when Khloe was asking us to murder him.

He definitely doesn’t feel like an Extreme boss. Hard at most.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I did pretty often. Admittedly, that was when Khloe was asking us to murder him.

He definitely doesn’t feel like an Extreme boss. Hard at most.

He's not an extreme and never was. He was a fanfest fight ported into the game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jenrai posted:

He's not an extreme and never was. He was a fanfest fight ported into the game.

Yeah, but ImpAtom said he was ‘effectively an Extreme primal’, which just ain’t right.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd say he was harder than Garuda or Ifrit extreme, but that's not exactly a high bar. Titan and beyond were significantly harder though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Is Mog EX still fun or boring now

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'd say he was harder than Garuda or Ifrit extreme, but that's not exactly a high bar. Titan and beyond were significantly harder though.

Eh. Garuda has some nasty mechanics, like having to kill certain adds at exactly the right time (Spiny Plumes gently caress PUGs over like you would not believe), split adds to weaken buffs, bodyguard certain objects, and so on. Ifrit, meanwhile, is one of your first run-ins with AOEs without a marker, plus the insane dash to kill twelve adds before you all die. Odin is really basic in comparison.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Odin has always hit super hard to me. Even doing it unsync'd at 60 for Khloe, while obviously a complete faceroll, had noticeable numbers. Plus he does bleed stuff. I get why nobody queues for Urth's Fount.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Sure glad I went through all that to restore an ancient relic only for it to be inferior in every way to the cedar longbow a friend made for me in 20 minutes.

You have to remember that you're doing things that were relevant at the time. You can't expect them to be relevant now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SonicRulez posted:

Odin has always hit super hard to me. Even doing it unsync'd at 60 for Khloe, while obviously a complete faceroll, had noticeable numbers. Plus he does bleed stuff. I get why nobody queues for Urth's Fount.

Unlike Lava Scorpion which I was never sure on, Odin DOES have a percentile +some hundreds of damage Tankbuster in Sanngetall. Source: me unsyncing him for Wonderous Tails and getting hit for 16k damage by it as the tank.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Odin's really simple mechanically, but he we loving murder a synced group if the healers and tank aren't top tier... and most of the people who'd actually queue for it now are newbies. Something like eight out of ten times I tried queueing for him for WT in heavensward ended in wipes and duty abandons due to the damage attrition. I suspect most people had the same experience, so experienced players don't bother and not enough newbies queue for it to ever pop these days.

It's very satisfying to kill him solo unsynced though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

You have to remember that you're doing things that were relevant at the time. You can't expect them to be relevant now.

Sure. I just thought it was amusing to point out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Asimo posted:

Odin's really simple mechanically, but he we loving murder a synced group if the healers and tank aren't top tier... and most of the people who'd actually queue for it now are newbies. Something like eight out of ten times I tried queueing for him for WT in heavensward ended in wipes and duty abandons due to the damage attrition. I suspect most people had the same experience, so experienced players don't bother and not enough newbies queue for it to ever pop these days.

It's very satisfying to kill him solo unsynced though.

I’ll be honest here - I’ve run him a few times on synced Duty Finder, and there’s been the odd wipe, but mostly, parties have managed to roll him after a go or two. There was this one time when a healer was having difficulty with the bleed mechanic, but even then, it wasn’t exactly a hellish experience. All of the proper Extreme primals (Bismarck and Ravana excepted, because lol) have been significantly more challenging.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Is Mog EX still fun or boring now

Go in unsycned lvl70 with a tank(just to keep away the kings MP drain cleave) and a WHM.
Whitemage can just spam holy/assize/aero3 until all they all died enough times that you can burn the king down well before the final memento moogle is cast.
Fight takes roughly a minute this way.

But its easily doable unsynced with a duo or trio using most class combos with decent enough AoEs to burn down and ignore all mechanics.
I find it a fun time to just stomp them all down with Holy casts etc but YMMV. :D

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Huh. If you wouldn't mind I'd like to at least see it so I know what you're talking about. Thanks!

Yeah, it was pretty much like i remembered it being.

code:
/ac "Snap Punch" <t>
/ac "Twin Snakes" <t>
/ac "Dragon Kick" <t>
So, starting off this will use Dragon Kick and put you in raptor form.

If you hit it again while still in raptor form, it will use Twin Snakes because that is now the first usable move in the macro, and so on.

Because of the form requirements for the actions, it only tries to execute one at a time so you can leave timers off it and just mash it as it cools down.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Lord of Pie posted:

Because of the form requirements for the actions, it only tries to execute one at a time so you can leave timers off it and just mash it as it cools down.

This is a DPS loss because macro actions are not queued serverside when you send the command. Thus your gcd will be delayed by latency.

Please do not ever macro your combos.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Choyi posted:

Go in unsycned lvl70 with a tank(just to keep away the kings MP drain cleave) and a WHM.
Whitemage can just spam holy/assize/aero3 until all they all died enough times that you can burn the king down well before the final memento moogle is cast.
Fight takes roughly a minute this way.

But its easily doable unsynced with a duo or trio using most class combos with decent enough AoEs to burn down and ignore all mechanics.
I find it a fun time to just stomp them all down with Holy casts etc but YMMV. :D

If you have at least 30k hp (or thereabouts) you can survive memento moogle.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Monks have different rotations for 1 enemy, 2 enemies, 3 enemies, and 5+ enemies and also depending on whether it's like 1 big enemy you dot and 2 smalls, or 2 big 1 small, or etc. Delay of macros aside how would you even macro that?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Reiterpallasch posted:

Speaking of reddit, apparently there's a fair bit of drama going on because the FF14 server just trusts the client when it says "trust me, I got a 100% proc rate for Ruin IV, I'm just getting really lucky this pull." Some FC got caught out uploading parses with more Ruin IV casts than Further Ruin instances.

So, like some things are client side that really shouldn't be?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah. Well, in the particular case of procs it's actually kind of an unfortunate problem--if you get Firestarter or Further Ruin or whatever, you're probably going to want to use it on the next GCD. The server literally doesn't have time to guarantee an authoritative yes/no response back to the client in between one GCD and the other, not without adding a bunch of latency in between GCDs. Relaxing this requirement is why Ninja mudras used to be actual garbage to cast but are now pretty quick--the client doesn't have to wait for the server to acknowledge each mudra in sequence anymore.

What the game should be doing is letting the client cast whatever but having stringent error checking conditions to invalidate illegal action sequences. But what do you do, when you detect that a client is using procs it hasn't been getting? Roll back time 6 seconds for everyone else in the instance? Immediately drop the player and ban them automatically? What do you do if the problem is that you made a programming mistake?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Reiterpallasch posted:

Yeah. Well, in the particular case of procs it's actually kind of an unfortunate problem--if you get Firestarter or Further Ruin or whatever, you're probably going to want to use it on the next GCD.

The notification for Firestarter actually shows up about half a second before the cast finishes, so they do have some amount of time. I don't know about other procs, or whether you can cheat Firestarter the same way.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Reiterpallasch posted:

What the game should be doing is letting the client cast whatever but having stringent error checking conditions to invalidate illegal action sequences. But what do you do, when you detect that a client is using procs it hasn't been getting? Roll back time 6 seconds for everyone else in the instance? Immediately drop the player and ban them automatically? What do you do if the problem is that you made a programming mistake?

SE should just create their own internal/public FFlogs type service, where at the end of an instance all the combat data is uploaded and parsed by another server, then if anything "odd" pops up, like more Ruin IV procs than should be expected, the logs are flagged for GM review. They verify you're cheating? Instant Permaban.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm not saying you're wrong, but i am saying that "just" is probably the wrong word to be using to describe your proposal

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I see Odin fairly often in Mentor Roulette. Overall, I see EX trials at least two or three times a week in Mentor Roulette. I see them more often on evenings, particularly Friday evening, and on the weekends. I get them more often as a tank than as a healer. I've never queued Mentor Roulette as a DPS. I believe DF has difficulty popping the EX trials due to the lack of tanks. When a tank is removed, it is often difficult to fill the role slot.

So if you do want to pug these trials, my advice to you would be to queue as a tank or a healer during the weekend. How successful is pugging them? It's a bit case by case. For Odin, though, it's basically always successful. The reason it was difficult in HW was because SE somehow overlooked its echo, and it was one of the higher ilvl trials. This has been fixed in SB. Odin will eventually die basically 100% of the time now, because his mechanics are actually fairly simplistic. He hits hard and you need to hit him harder, which is directly answered by echo.

As far as other trials go, I've never gotten an EX beyond what's offered up to 3.2, or Thornmarch EX. Of the other trials, there is some difficulty with Akh Afah Amphitheatre, and you often only pull through if you've got a tank and a healer that are mentors. I have never seen The Striking Tree cleared in a pug. The rest I regularly clear before the one hour lock out. Success is higher with more mentors. When I say mentor, I mean those who fall in via Mentor Roulette, not those people who arbitrarily put a crown beside their name. EX trials are common enough in Mentor Roulette that people who regularly queue it are pretty familiar with the EX trials, so having more of those mentors is usually beneficial. You can tell the difference by opening the party list. Note if you remove someone, assuming no one else leaves immediately after, the chances of the missing slot being filled with some hapless mentor is pretty high.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, queuing as a tank and a healer is going to take quite a long time, because I am currently a Bard. Only other Job I’ve touched so far is Bard.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Monks have different rotations for 1 enemy, 2 enemies, 3 enemies, and 5+ enemies and also depending on whether it's like 1 big enemy you dot and 2 smalls, or 2 big 1 small, or etc. Delay of macros aside how would you even macro that?

By having a macro set up for each situation, and another macro which is the buttons you want to use the other rotation cycle of the situation you're in, because even in an AoE pack, you don't want to Twin Snakes at any time other than when you need to refresh the buff.
Basically, you'd have more macros than skills you need to use before long so the thought of using macros to save button space doesn't work out ultimately even in a world where macros are not a gigantic DPS loss.
The fact that Monk's not a static rotation is why the oft argued for for no reason at all PVP combos in PVE content wouldn't work. It only works in PVP because it literally doesn't matter.

On the macro side, I just don't understand why you'd do it. It's lazy, it doesn't make the game easier, it makes you under-perform. You'll get a lot more fulfilment out of playing the game if you just learn to play and then do it well. It's not like this is a difficult game to learn rotations for.

I'm not sure what possesses people to do it other than "saving button space" or whatever, which is needless.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 23, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Monk's main skills could hypothetically be reduced to 3 buttons in PvE and you would just change the order to push them in depending on your situation (and have to memorize things like "which of these three buttons does Twin Snakes if I press it second?"). However this would break using PB to spam specific skills so I would not like it.

But please, for the love of gently caress, do not macro your monk skills.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

vOv posted:

Yeah, never put more than one combat action on a macro at a time. Your GCD is something like 2.3-2.5 seconds, and macros can only wait a whole number of seconds, so you'll sit around doing nothing for .5-.7 seconds.
Whoops, I didn't mean as in it'll so my combos for me. I meant the whole trick of binding two actions to the same button so if a GCD action is on cooldown, it'll do an appropriate off-GCD action. The one I used back in 2.x was the Misery's End > Bloodletter > Heavy Shot all on one button macro.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That's also a bad idea as far as actual battle execution goes.

Macroing an oGCD can be handy. I use it all the time for skills like goad, cover, intervention, dragon sight, etc.

Macroing multiple oGCDs and a GCD is going to cause you to lose seconds of time and your DPS will suffer greatly as a result.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so apparently there are new Bard missions available for me but Jehantel isn't talking. I don't suppose anyone can point me in the right direction?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TFRazorsaw posted:

so apparently there are new Bard missions available for me but Jehantel isn't talking. I don't suppose anyone can point me in the right direction?

Those are the Heavensward missions. You need to get to Ishgard, then they'll unlock.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ah. I guess that's different from going to Coerthas.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ah. I guess that's different from going to Coerthas.

You have to do the main story quests to unlock heavensward and stormblood content.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay then, I'll just continue as I am then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You'll know you've hit Heavensward when the quest accepted jingle changes.