Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sleepy.eyes posted:

I pretty much fall into that, get up to speed quickly and generally don't do more than about 5 over, or the flow of traffic assuming it isn't pointless racing to the next red because idiots think it saves time.

This is what I do, too. I think part of the reason is that people who accelerate slowly and speed aren't really paying attention to what they're doing, they're just doing whatever they feel comfortable doing. This is also why they will completely ignore changes in speed limits, meaning they can go from 20 under to 10 over or something.

People who accelerate fast would go faster, if not for safety in the face of the unknown, and the law. I cannot rely on driving a speed that would feel comfortable on a given road, because it would be quite illegal, and it would be dangerous should something unexpected occur, so I need to monitor my speed and the speed limit to ensure I'm safe and reasonably legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Why the gently caress is everyone just parked in the left 3 lanes? Do you Brits really have that much of a hard on for waiting in lines?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Why the gently caress is everyone just parked in the left 3 lanes? Do you Brits really have that much of a hard on for waiting in lines?
There's probably a junction a couple of miles ahead and it's backed up from there. Or a lane closure, but the 40 limit shows the lanes are open.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Freebie and the Bean remake?

It took a long, long time but finally... a Freebie and the Bean reference. God bless you. :corsair:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
how not to u-turn,

https://streamable.com/z5buh

it's loud so turn speakers down.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

how not to u-turn,

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Lime Tonics posted:

how not to u-turn,

That's not so loud, that'--- :asoiaf:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lime Tonics posted:

how not to u-turn,

poo poo like this is why I always drive assuming literally everyone else on the road is a loving moron that wants to kill me or drive me off the road. Some people just like in their own world and forget there’s other cars on the road.

EDIT: if you pause right before the hot you can see For Sale painted on the van. Whoops.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The greatest piece of advice my dad ever gave me was "driving is 10% what you're doing, and 90% what the assholes all around you are doing."

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I always drive assuming literally everyone else on the road is a loving moron that wants to kill me or drive me off the road.

Accepting this and knowing it to be true is half the battle.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Around here it's not even remotely uncommon to see people doing 25+ through mall parking lots. I'm honestly amazed I don't see way more accidents in the lots around here.

Not even just mall lots, happens almost anywhere here. I almost got the front of my car smashed by a dumbass in my work parking lot, it's all 10mph and he is was easily doing 25-30. Then there's the tailgaters at my apartment complex who ride my rear end, then act shocked when I stop to reverse into a spot or slow down to pull in forward.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Not even just mall lots, happens almost anywhere here. I almost got the front of my car smashed by a dumbass in my work parking lot, it's all 10mph and he is was easily doing 25-30. Then there's the tailgaters at my apartment complex who ride my rear end, then act shocked when I stop to reverse into a spot or slow down to pull in forward.

Had a guy honk at me (or it was the guy stopped behind him, who couldn't see my car around the corner) as I did a three point turn in my parkade, so as to make a corner without shearing the front of his car off or hitting the wall. It's not my fault you're in the middle of the goddamn lane and you were going too fast to use the convex mirror and stop in time so that we could both easily pass each other.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yco1deXOzN8

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That's the most American thing I've ever seen.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That's the most American thing I've ever seen.

Hearts and minds.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ever driver in the video goes home to google "how to make an IED"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I doubted the driver's commitment until he bumped the bus. :patriot:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Ice roads, the south edition,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r31LwoYaN1k

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Please go find a hill that a bunch of cars are stuck on and try to recreate the flaming car picture from NC a few years ago.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

xzzy posted:

Please go find a hill that a bunch of cars are stuck on and try to recreate the flaming car picture from NC a few years ago.

Hills? In Houston?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

I hope that bus had a dash cam.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5ae_1516065309

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

How many of those are flipped brotrucks?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How many of those are flipped brotrucks?

It's Texas. All of them.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Linking this from the Schad thread:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, nothing identifies people who skimp on tires like a little bit of freezing rain.

My commute is ~10.5 miles and I saw at least a dozen cars in various modes of destruction because they ping-ponged across the road a few times. A few were straight up abandoned because there were no more tow trucks available to haul them off.

I'm a fairly late commuter and I'm sympathetic that things were worse a couple hours ago but for a region that likes to act smug about their ability to deal with bad roads this was a bit silly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Location?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago area.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

Man, nothing identifies people who skimp on tires like a little bit of freezing rain.

My commute is ~10.5 miles and I saw at least a dozen cars in various modes of destruction because they ping-ponged across the road a few times. A few were straight up abandoned because there were no more tow trucks available to haul them off.

I'm a fairly late commuter and I'm sympathetic that things were worse a couple hours ago but for a region that likes to act smug about their ability to deal with bad roads this was a bit silly.

Apparently things were just loving nuts this morning south of the city. I'm up in the northwest and it was pretty smooth sailing.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Hatch removed and hunting dog crates installed in it's place. Welcome to the South.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Welcome to the South part deux:
Spotted at the local Food Lion a few years ago:

It was gone when I came out.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

At leas they're in the lines!

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imagine the sheer size and strength of the shopping cart that did that. :ohdear:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

Imagine the sheer size and strength of the shopping cart that did that. :ohdear:

Bubbles can fix it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Thank you for being the one person on the internet with a game of life avatar that isn't a loving glider.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

nadmonk posted:

Welcome to the South part deux:
Spotted at the local Food Lion a few years ago:

I had the same generation and color of that Malibu and that's the fate it deserves.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

around me it's usually a BMW or Mercedes SUV.

Here it's an SUV of any kind, but falls predominantly on the smaller ones (CR-V, RAV4) and typically driven by a middle-aged idiot that's texting someone

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Hmm....lemme guess:

* Found at fault for accident
* Only had minimal liability coverage
* No money to buy another car
* Local LEOs could care less unless you're speeding or black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

I imagine the person who owns this is pushing around a shopping cart shaped like a car that some stores have for the kids to ride in.