Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

"Dewey defeats Truman" had nothing on Hillary's hubris.

That headline was based on more sound research then Hillary's grift campaign, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That headline was based on more sound research then Hillary's grift campaign, lol.

Yea that was more an indictment of the computer modeling and not Dewey's actual campaign lmao

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Zhulik posted:

And more importantly, how the gently caress does your thought process immediately go to "we need to stop russia from photoshopping a swastika onto obama's forehead and posting the picture online to save our democracy" and not to "holy poo poo how did we end up with a country full of people whose opinions can be swayed by a rage comic of yao ming voting for the R candidate, this needs to be fixed asap".

I'd hazard to guess that we have a country full of people whose opinions can be swayed by a rage comic of yao ming voting for the R candidate to be the why.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Less then 10 people since 1986 have been killed by "automatic weapons." Why the gently caress do idiots waste time with that boogy man.

yes because banning guns works.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FuriousxGeorge posted:

yes because banning guns works.

banning guns, siezing guns, and melting them down works. it works all around the world. america is not a special snowflake

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

A nigh-inexhaustible war chest, her pick of the supposed cream of the crop of campaign advisors and experts in matters of strategy, and she couldn't overcome a six figgy Facebook ad buy.

I know it's hip to hate on woman politicians itt, but that's really disingenuous, even by suck zone standards

Here are some highlights from what the indictment says about a group of Russians in a time period from 2014:

* Posed as Americans, and opened financial accounts in their name

* Spent thousands of dollars a month buying political advertising

* Purchased US server space in an effort to hide their Russian affiliation

* Organised and promoted political rallies within the United States

* Posted political messages on social media accounts that impersonated real US citizens

* Promoted information that disparaged Hillary Clinton

* Received money from clients to post on US social media sites

* Created themed groups on social media on hot-button issues, particularly on Facebook and Instagram

* Operated with a monthly budget of as much as $1.25m (£890,000)

* Financed the building of a cage large enough to hold an actress portraying Hillary Clinton in a prison uniform

Here's the indictment proper for those interested: https://www.justice.gov/file/1035477/download

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Feb 16, 2018

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Man Musk posted:

I know it's hip to hate on woman politicians itt, but that's really disingenuous, even by suck zone standards

Here are some highlights from what the indictment says about a group of Russians in a time period from 2014:

* Posted political messages on social media accounts that impersonated real US citizens

* Created themed groups on social media on hot-button issues, particularly on Facebook and Instagram

* Financed the building of a cage large enough to hold an actress portraying Hillary Clinton in a prison uniform

Here's the indictment proper for those interested: https://www.justice.gov/file/1035477/download

they got paid to shitpost and had enough funding to build some stage props?????

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Remember when Hillary had no personality and then her consultants had an interview with (i think the NYT) where they said they were working on it and were going to unveil her new personality or something like that?

poo poo like that was probably more damaging to mother's campaign than some russian clickbait.

what was probably most damaging to her campaign was being a right wing candidate that made people stay home after they'd already lost faith in the democrats due to 8 years of failure

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Man Musk posted:

drat, a whole 15 million dollars a year budget and some facebook ads. they sound really significant

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
someone do a rundown comparison of russia's influence peddling in the us with the israeli lobby

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

belief in the sanctity of an election is extremely important to a functioning democracy (which, admittedly, the usa has not been for some time now)
A country that does not instantly fire the entire congress all at once when you refuse to fund the government is not a functioning democracy imo, it is a zombie constitutional state.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
They got to facebook AND instagram? gently caress

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

jBrereton posted:

A country that does not instantly fire the entire congress all at once when you refuse to fund the government is not a functioning democracy imo, it is a zombie constitutional state.

I wish we'd just bite the bullet and move to a parliamentary system or something

no-confidence motions and elections should be a regular thing

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

tekz posted:

someone do a rundown comparison of russia's influence peddling in the us with the israeli lobby

Sure. Israel as far as we know isn't involved in identity theft, visa fraud, and money laundering to conduct its operations.

The strategic goal keep in mind was to sow discord and distrust in institutions, including and not limited to the 2016 election.

When Israel runs clandestine operations with the intent to destroy the US we can revisit this discussion.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Man Musk posted:

I know it's hip to hate on woman politicians itt

Just a bunch of woman hating Bernie Bros.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

tekz posted:

aipac 2014:

Revenue (2014)
$77,709,827[2]

Expenses (2014)
$69,267,598[2]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Israel_Public_Affairs_Committee

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Man Musk posted:

Sure. Israel as far as we know isn't involved in identity theft, visa fraud, and money laundering to conduct its operations.

lol if you sincerely believe this

the ethnostate currently engaged in a slow campaign of genocide in which they corral an ethnic Other and slowly take away their land and starve them of resources would never do anything underhanded to guarantee continued backing by the only country in the world that’s on their side

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Thinking about how I'd have full trust in our institutions if it wasn't for thos russians

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Man Musk posted:

The strategic goal keep in mind was to sow discord and distrust in institutions, including and not limited to the 2016 election.

When Israel runs clandestine operations with the intent to destroy the US we can revisit this discussion.

Why won't you get over that Buff Bernie Sanders comic Russia commissioned, God.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Expenses (2014)
$69,267,598[2]

nice

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

jBrereton posted:

the united states of america is a third world country

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Man Musk posted:

the difference between israel and russia is that the former is a far more reprehensible country and its influence on american politicians has been legitimized.

if it wasnt for those drat russians i bet people would have so much more trust in institutions that deserve that trust

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Ah yeah that's the good stuff

https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/964620756750688257
https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/964570160257478656
https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/964566420779687937

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
40 years of Yuri from Red Alert 2 using mind rays on democrats to make them complete and utter poo poo wasn't enough to shatter my trust in our sacred institutions, but now that Putin (Yuri in disguise???) paid someone to sit in a cage and pretend to be hillary I'm starting to think that our entire government is a loving scam.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zhulik posted:

Thinking about how I'd have full trust in our institutions if it wasn't for thos russians

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

russia is now the only force that sought to defeat hillary clinton and the republican party had no role in the election

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/JenniferLBrewer/status/964570845325807619

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Maybe the libs are the real oppressive perverts.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Man Musk posted:

we will solve America's political malaise by

*rolls 2d10*

banning foreigners from countries we don't like this week from spending $500 on rebar at home depot

here's a thought experiment for you, I just typed three characters into my profile and now I'm gonna say:
"Shinzo Abe is a pre-fascist shithead who will drag us into war in Korea, and the DPJ is even more feckless opposition than their namesake!"
I have now made paid speech (that :10bux: back in 2003), ie advertisement, falsely posing as Japanese, wading into hot-button political issues and disparaging a major politician while attempting to discredit the political mainstream as a whole and increase political instability in order to promote the electoral fortunes of radical parties.
Sadly ● is both dead and unnecessary these days, or I could even crosspost it on 2ch and have paid money specifically to do so on a domestic (from their perspective) social media platform.

There are major problems with paid political speech and voter manipulation in the US. There are major problems with Trump's corruption. Laying both of them at the feet of small-beer Facebook ad buys performed by nebulous "enemy" foreign nationals, with the implication that the problem is the purely whim-based "enemy" part, is a deliberate disinformation campaign to whitewash both while shoring up imperialist foreign policy.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/964577939294773250

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Interesting...

Reading the indictment, and the Russians paid for and organized pro-Trump rallies in New York, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Florida, which were then picked up and reported on by US media

Imagine if the Democrats had a foreign actor organizing rallies for them in purple states

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Man Musk posted:

Interesting...

Reading the indictment, and the Russians paid for and organized pro-Trump rallies in New York, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Florida, which were then picked up and reported on by US media

Imagine if the Democrats had a foreign actor organizing rallies for them in purple states

lol
imagine if the democrats had democrats organizing rallies for them in purple states

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Man Musk posted:

lol

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Man Musk posted:

this is the central conceit of the :argh: SOROS! lobby.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Man Musk posted:

:yeah:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Man Musk posted:

Interesting...

interdasting...........

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Why won't you get over that Buff Bernie Sanders comic Russia commissioned, God.

What are you talking about ??

Don't project onto me pls...it robs me of agency

Mandoric posted:

we will solve America's political malaise by

*rolls 2d10*

banning foreigners from countries we don't like this week from spending $500 on rebar at home depot

here's a thought experiment for you, I just typed three characters into my profile and now I'm gonna say:
"Shinzo Abe is a pre-fascist shithead who will drag us into war in Korea, and the DPJ is even more feckless opposition than their namesake!"
I have now made paid speech (that :10bux: back in 2003), ie advertisement, falsely posing as Japanese, wading into hot-button political issues and disparaging a major politician while attempting to discredit the political mainstream as a whole and increase political instability in order to promote the electoral fortunes of radical parties.
Sadly ● is both dead and unnecessary these days, or I could even crosspost it on 2ch and have paid money specifically to do so on a domestic (from their perspective) social media platform.

There are major problems with paid political speech and voter manipulation in the US. There are major problems with Trump's corruption. Laying both of them at the feet of small-beer Facebook ad buys performed by nebulous "enemy" foreign nationals, with the implication that the problem is the purely whim-based "enemy" part, is a deliberate disinformation campaign to whitewash both while shoring up imperialist foreign policy.

That's just the point - it's more than ad buys.

I don't understand why posters itt are so defensive about Russia, anyway. Russia is run by a government that has more in common with Southern Baptists than the mythologized Soviet Union.

Zoran posted:

lol if you sincerely believe this

the ethnostate currently engaged in a slow campaign of genocide in which they corral an ethnic Other and slowly take away their land and starve them of resources would never do anything underhanded to guarantee continued backing by the only country in the world that’s on their side

Whataboutism is how the United Russia Party solidified its hold on power...

It's entirely possible for there to be more than 1 bad actor in the world. It's just that Bobby Three Sticks isn't investigating the Mossad stealing social security numbers to set up PayPal accounts today.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Man Musk posted:

What are you talking about ??

Behold, the evil Russian propaganda in its full unrelenting power:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Man Musk posted:

I don't understand why posters itt are so defensive about Russia, anyway. Russia is run by a government that has more in common with Southern Baptists than the mythologized Soviet Union.

I don't think anyone itt likes Putin and I think the vast majority of people think this.

anime was right posted:

agreedo

i still think russian meddling is Bad and Should Be Punished but also this would have never happened with like, any other candidate. a wet sock would have won against trump lol

The defensiveness comes from that fact that all of the terrible establishment Dem Hillary diehards use the Russia thing to totally shield Hillary from any blame for her failures and also use it to baselessly slime Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

It was the Russians that made us lose; ignore the evidence that the effect of fake news was likely marginal (i.e. Allcott & Gentzkow, 2017). We don't need to change. Our message of decorously and incrementally plugging the hole rapidly sinking the ship is fine. Everything is fine. Continue to donate to our political organization so that a cadre of consultants and hangers on can collect six figure salaries and we can keep doing the business of [insert major industry here].

• Locked thread